The importance of taking some time out

by andrewpeacock 15 replies
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share something with you all.

It's easy in this IM business to be busy. Busy creating products. Busy writing articles. Busy reading email. Busy doing research. Busy writing software. etc etc

But one thing that I think many of us might not be busy doing is "thinking".

I'm on holiday this week. I've got some web-access for limited stuff like checking my personal email, checking support tickets, etc, but I'm not "working" as such. Heck, I don't even have handy the logins for my sites' cpanel/FTP access, so I can't really do much.

But my brain has been working. Whilst I've been playing with my son and nephew, dining outside in the first bit of really nice weather I've had whilst off work this year, walking in the park, vegging in front of the TV in the evening, getting a bit more sleep, etc, my brain has been chewing things over.

And it's taken one simple idea that I've had on the backburner, and fleshed it out. I've now got a good, workable, and more importantly - easy to implement - outline of how a new service will work.

I'm sure if I'd been "busy" this week, I won't have had that outline come to mind quite to quickly, effortlessly, or in as workable a design.

Remember to build some time-out into your schedule!

Some ideas:
* Play - REALLY play - with your family (young or old)
* Get back to nature for a while
* Go for longs walks round the neighbourhood
* Explore new places or try new things
* Sit in the garden
* Grab a coffee in a outside cafe and watch the world go buy



Regards,
Andy
#main internet marketing discussion forum #importance #taking #time
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author alphawolf
    Playing is important. For when we play (with kids, with ourselves, with our girlfriends /boyfriends, with our pets, family, etc) it reminds us of why we are in IM in the first place - so that we can make time and be financial supportive of those things that are most important to us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Desmond Ong
    I agree to take a time-out. Recently I was guilty in orchestrating 6 simple product launches from scratch, busy creating products, busy interviewing, blogging etc.

    So, the easiest way for me to take a time-out is going out with friends, exercise, play some sports or some video games.

    "Don't work too hard...remember to take 5"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765493].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    Hi Andy,

    You've just described a large part of my philosophy on life.

    I had those same thoughts a few years ago and now they're basically the underlying routine for my life.

    Everyday I do all of those - literally.

    The only problem is that whenever I call John Taylor his first question is "what coffee shop are you calling me from?" because he knows that's how I spend much of my time.

    It's also the reason I enjoy traveling so much - being in a new place with new people keeps me out of a routine and keeps me thinking about what my life is about and whether I'm living it in line with my goals.

    I learned a long time ago that success and revenue aren't directly related to amount of hours worked.

    Andy
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
    Andy,

    I've been staying at my Son's house all week looking
    after my granddaughter. I've got my laptop with me,
    but it hasn't had a lot of use.

    And. I didn't give Andy H the phone number. LOL

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765525].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
      Great thread Andy and it doesn't hurt to be reminded now and again of the more important things in life.

      Combine that with the freedom, fun and challenges that working online brings and you soon realise life could be a lot worse.

      Cheers,

      Neil
      Signature

      Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765530].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
      Exactly. I take time off every day to at least walk into town and do a bit of shopping or stop at a cafe. A few days a week, it's off to the gym for a workout. During these times, my brain has time to come up with new ideas. I always carry a small notebook.
      Signature
      Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765531].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
        Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

        Exactly. I take time off every day to at least walk into town.
        Be careful you don't overdo it.. you'll burn off
        the rubbers feet on your Zimmer frame!
        A few days a week, it's off to the gym for a workout.
        I hear you've been outsourcing that too.

        I always carry a small notebook.
        No point in having a big one when there
        aint that many new ideas huh?

        Anyway, you'd never lift a big book. :p

        John
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765562].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
      Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

      Andy,

      I've been staying at my Son's house all week looking
      after my granddaughter.
      More likely she was looking after you, and wiping the dribble from your chin.


      I've got my laptop with me,
      but it hasn't had a lot of use.
      Does it ever? Other than to harrass nice folk like myself on Skype.
      Signature
      Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Igor Kheifets
    Originally Posted by andrewpeacock View Post

    Hi all,

    Just thought I'd share something with you all.

    It's easy in this IM business to be busy. Busy creating products. Busy writing articles. Busy reading email. Busy doing research. Busy writing software. etc etc

    But one thing that I think many of us might not be busy doing is "thinking".

    I'm on holiday this week. I've got some web-access for limited stuff like checking my personal email, checking support tickets, etc, but I'm not "working" as such. Heck, I don't even have handy the logins for my sites' cpanel/FTP access, so I can't really do much.

    But my brain has been working. Whilst I've been playing with my son and nephew, dining outside in the first bit of really nice weather I've had whilst off work this year, walking in the park, vegging in front of the TV in the evening, getting a bit more sleep, etc, my brain has been chewing things over.

    And it's taken one simple idea that I've had on the backburner, and fleshed it out. I've now got a good, workable, and more importantly - easy to implement - outline of how a new service will work.

    I'm sure if I'd been "busy" this week, I won't have had that outline come to mind quite to quickly, effortlessly, or in as workable a design.

    Remember to build some time-out into your schedule!

    Some ideas:
    * Play - REALLY play - with your family (young or old)
    * Get back to nature for a while
    * Go for longs walks round the neighbourhood
    * Explore new places or try new things
    * Sit in the garden
    * Grab a coffee in a outside cafe and watch the world go buy



    Regards,
    Andy
    Hey Andy,

    I 100% agree with ya.
    It is very important to learn to take
    time to think and rest/rejuvinate/meditate.

    That is the time when all the great ideas come
    to mind.

    Igor
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thesuccesscoach
    yup very important to take time out. That's the problem we can be connected 24/7/365 and get so stuck in our business that we don't take time out. sometimes time out will actually make us more creative.

    it's like when you're stuck with projects it's best to move away from them for a while and let the subconcious work its wonders to find the solution

    Richard
    Signature

    [Removed due to signature violation]

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    the main reason I got into this business is for the time and freedom it gives me to spend with my family,. yeah I could work around the clock but there is really no need to, if you are busting tail all day you should probably find a smarter way to work..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sandesh_007
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765724].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
      I take a walk with our dog every day in the beautiful Spanish countryside in the province of Cáceres. I can walk miles and miles along quiet country lanes deep in the forest and not meet anyone. It is, in my opinion, the perfect way to let your mind take over and allow the jumble of everyday work thoughts to fade away.

      Returning from a pleasant hour or so spent this way, I always feel refreshed and ready to start again.

      John.
      Signature
      Write System - superior web content
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobReynolds
    This is great advice, especially when starting out. I started around this time last year, and completely burned myself out by November. I took a couple weeks off, and when I came back everything made much more sense.

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andrewpeacock
    Hi all,

    Many good points here.

    Two more things worth highlighting:

    1. Taking regular time out reminds you of WHY you're (probably) doing this work in the first place.

    2. And it also gives you a little taster of what life could be like if you weren't working quite so many hours.

    Andy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[767559].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      This reminds me of the catch phrase a fishing guide/outdoor writer here uses...

      "If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too damn busy..."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[767578].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics