3D or not 3D: that is the question! Whether 'tis nobler in the mind...

by graphicsgenie 11 replies
Sorry for the Shakespeare thread title but I thought I might get some more educated thoughts! heehee

Basically I am looking for a few reactions on whether people would pay $400-$500 for a minisite if the graphics on the site were created in 3D from scratch and REALLY stood out.

I'm talking quality graphics...

Thanks
#main internet marketing discussion forum #mind #nobler #question #tis
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Tony Shepherd
    Absolutely!

    Tony
    Signature

    My Blog (Tales of a cyber-hippy running an online business from home) - Visit HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Quilst
      I am offering 3D to my clients. It all depends on the client. If he doesn't know that it takes few hours to model a person in 3d he will not appriciate the work. On the other hand if he knows a bit from the subject he will be more than happy to pay that kind of cash for it.

      BTW seen your work - great stuff ^^

      Peace!
      Dominik Vig
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70458].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author graphicsgenie
        Originally Posted by Quilst View Post

        I am offering 3D to my clients. It all depends on the client. If he doesn't know that it takes few hours to model a person in 3d he will not appriciate the work. On the other hand if he knows a bit from the subject he will be more than happy to pay that kind of cash for it.

        BTW seen your work - great stuff ^^

        Peace!
        Dominik Vig
        Hi Dominik

        That is very true, some people think as you finish up with something that is essentially an image then its no different than going to istockphoto and spending $2 on an image to use. In reality some of the designs we do might actually need a full day prep work, but we are still charging this out at $200-$400 rather than the $500+ it should be.

        Some people will - some people won't, I guess its down to us to get the clients that will.

        Would love to see some of your 3D work, wasnt aware of many minisite designers that offered this, please feel free to PM me to chat

        Thanks
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70462].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author graphicsgenie
          This is an example of a header that uses 3D - still work in progress but it does stand out more than the usual image laden designs
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70599].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Chris_Willow
            I've beeen in this "huge header+ repeating background + huge product boxes all over the place" crazy trend and it turned out I get a lot better conversions without the header and with a simple solid background. It just might be me but I wouldn't use it.
            But despite the fact i'm not using it, I absolutely like your work, Darren. Very professional and good looking, and the 3d is definately a 3D

            Chris
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70611].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Quilst
          Originally Posted by graphicsgenie View Post

          Hi Dominik

          That is very true, some people think as you finish up with something that is essentially an image then its no different than going to istockphoto and spending $2 on an image to use. In reality some of the designs we do might actually need a full day prep work, but we are still charging this out at $200-$400 rather than the $500+ it should be.

          Some people will - some people won't, I guess its down to us to get the clients that will.

          Would love to see some of your 3D work, wasnt aware of many minisite designers that offered this, please feel free to PM me to chat

          Thanks
          I mostly do logo design in 3d for webpages already made. I once had a client who understand 3d and he drained my dry telling me what to do. Since then I don't even mention it is 3d because most of them don't understand it. But I always use quotes like: "3d studio/Flash/Photoshop combination over here! Please PM" - get's me more clients and the quote is catchy
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70615].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author graphicsgenie
            Originally Posted by Chris_Willow View Post

            I've beeen in this "huge header+ repeating background + huge product boxes all over the place" crazy trend and it turned out I get a lot better conversions without the header and with a simple solid background. It just might be me but I wouldn't use it.
            But despite the fact i'm not using it, I absolutely like your work, Darren. Very professional and good looking, and the 3d is definately a 3D

            Chris
            Hi Chris,

            We always use a solid background colour, and the repeated background is used too much, hopefully we are seeing a trend towards better designed pages, but while there are people out there classing themselves as designers charging $20, there are always going to be paying only willing to pay that.

            I do think there will be a bigger trend over the coming months between people who want to spend on the designs and people who dont,

            Thanks
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70633].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lakshaybehl
              I know a thing or two about 3d, and am sure it will deserve that price tag...
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70646].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author KarlWarren
              Darren,

              there are always going to be people willing to pay more for a unique design, but, the main issue is whether it adds to the message.

              I'm probably wrong, but I don't think that the time and effort which goes into the 3D work will be appreciated by all, and a lot of people will continue trying to squeeze down the price... but, you have carved out a unique brand amongst the 'cluttered' marketplace so you WILL get clients regardless.

              I say cluttered, because there really are still only 5 top players in my mind - GG is one of them because I can tell your work a mile off. Anyone not in the top 5, their work isn't really distinctive enough to brand them.

              I'm certainly with you on the fact that the lower end graphic designers are going to be forced to keep lowering their prices, while the higher end can keep increasing their prices and keep being paid what they ask. The gap is going to keep widening, and I'm sad to say that a lot of the lower end designers aren't going to be able to keep applying their trade if they keep going that way - they just won't be able to afford to live.
              Signature
              eCoverNinja - Sales Page Graphics & Layout Specialist
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70666].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mbrown
            I pay whatever I need for graphics for the work I need done. So if that means spending $300-$400 on graphics to make the product look even better then why not pay for it? If it was $1000 but they were what I needed, that's what I am going to do because on the backend I'll make 10x's my money back and the looks alone will help.

            The banner Darren displayed is actually work he is doing for me and he's worth every penny I pay.

            Graphics help sell products. Graphics can't help your product be good or better than what it is but for the selling phase the better the graphics look the more sales will come in.

            It's human nature that we see things and salivate. Food tastes better when it looks good. How do you think we constantly end up with that extra $15 piece of cheesecake at dinner? This holds especially true when they bring that tasty looking piece out on a tray and parade it in front of you... we buy.

            That's what graphics are for They attract us in, we drool, we buy. If the product is good to it makes for a very satisfied experience and customer.

            Keep up the good work Darren and I can't wait to see what this looks like when it's done
            Signature
            Free - Create a Site That Will Make You Money - Today - Click Here.

            Michael S Brown
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70648].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Erum Munir
              Darren,

              Personally I feel that as designers a lot of us under charge for our work. If we were to take into account the time we put into the design, we would be charging a lot more. However, pricing is decided by demand and supply and a lot depends on what competitors are charging and what people are willing to pay.

              So a lot depends on the market you are targeting and where you are selling your services. I wouldn't call $400-$500 high for a 3D design. It is of course a whole different matter getting clients who realize that the design cost is worth their while.

              Running a poll is a pretty good way of finding out

              Just a few days back I was researching on blog design prices. Turns out people are charging roughly anywhere from $100 to $8000+. The higher cost is being charged from fortune 500 companies so that works for whoever gets a crack at that market.
              Signature
              3DEcovers: Photoshop Ecover Actions
              DotsnDashes Website Designs: Custom Wordpress Themes
              My Blog: ErumMunir.com
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70672].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics