Best Ebay alternatives

by sparrow 48 replies
Each day marketing on ebay is getting more and more uncertain resulting on ebay alternatives surfacing luring sellers to move away from ebay

These alternatives have surface many times in the past in a attempt to dethrone the 500 pound gorilla

From the over whelming displeasure I am seeing from affiliates being dropped for what ebay considers poor quality traffic to no more digital downloads etc...

I see more and more the possibility of someone being able to have a go at it.

Who do you think is going to have a chance on giving ebay a run for its money?

Ed
#main internet marketing discussion forum #alternatives #ebay
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author sparrow
    I saw this posted somewhere today to get this post going this one looks interesting

    Wigix - Apparel, Electronics, Music, Movies, Sports Memorabilia, Games & More.

    Ed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Hi Ed,
    EBay is becoming its own worst enemy. Always raising its fees,changing its pricing structure,etc,etc.

    Will someone dethrone them completely, I don't think so, but I know in one of my hobbies, magic, numerous auction sites has sprung up and more and more serious collectors avoid EBay like the plaugue.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70464].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheVCF
      Fellow Warriors,

      Which other sites are you all (successfully) using as alternatives to eBay?

      Both for Auction and/or Store Listing?

      And Why?
      E.g. lower fees or Free, better traffic, better user interface, ... ???

      Thank you for your help and participation and Have a Great Day!

      - Michael
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sparrow
      I tend to agree with you about dethroning since ebay is such a household name to buyers

      But I do know sellers are looking for another place they establish a new base.

      Interesting you say the serious collectors are avoiding ebay like the plague I guess for the general masses this maybe the case.

      Ed

      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Hi Ed,
      EBay is becoming its own worst enemy. Always raising its fees,changing its pricing structure,etc,etc.

      Will someone dethrone them completely, I don't think so, but I know in one of my hobbies, magic, numerous auction sites has sprung up and more and more serious collectors avoid EBay like the plaugue.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70480].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author I.M.Retired
        I like Blujay.com. It has a wonderful look and easy to use interface. It's indexed regularly by Google. It's a fun site to use.

        Unlike eBay, Blujay doesn't have a large customer base. However, if you promote your store properly (using proven Internet Marketing Strategies) you can do quite well there.

        Another neat alternative, still in beta, and part of Paypal (which is owned by eBay) is the new Paypal storefront widget which can be embedded directly into your blog or website. The store is viral, so if you can convince others to sell your products, all they need to do is embed the code on their site.

        PayPal Xilab Widgets

        Note: As yet, there is no link on the Paypal site to this widget - it's just available from the above link.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70596].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sparrow
          Great link for the widget

          so by embedding the link they are paid a affiliate commission

          will have to look into this

          thanks for the great tip

          Ed

          Originally Posted by Dekko View Post

          I like Blujay.com. It has a wonderful look and easy to use interface. It's indexed regularly by Google. It's a fun site to use.

          Unlike eBay, Blujay doesn't have a large customer base. However, if you promote your store properly (using proven Internet Marketing Strategies) you can do quite well there.

          Another neat alternative, still in beta, and part of Paypal (which is owned by eBay) is the new Paypal storefront widget which can be embedded directly into your blog or website. The store is viral, so if you can convince others to sell your products, all they need to do is embed the code on their site.

          PayPal Xilab Widgets

          Note: As yet, there is no link on the Paypal site to this widget - it's just available from the above link.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70670].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author I.M.Retired
            Ed: It doesn't look like they are paid an affiliate referral fee. I think the widget is just placed on their website. Not sure why anyone would want to do this, however, Perhaps Paypal is considering putting in an affiliate link. Would be a good question to direct to them and see what they say.

            The only thing I don't like about this widget is that it is affiliated with Paypal, which is, of course, owned by evilbay.

            I just discovered that my Paypal account was locked this morning. Last time I used it was two weeks ago. Have been with Paypal for about 8 years now without problem. No big amounts of money go through my account, I'm a good girl and play by their rules - religiously so - and now I'm locked out.

            Paypal is as bad, if not worse than eBay. It will be a happy day for me when I see both of these companies go kapoot! But the widget is nice. Too bad another company (Google - are you listening) wouldn't come up with something similar.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70704].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheVCF
          Thank you for those useful and helpful references / alternatives to eBay, Dekko!

          RE: the "dethroning of eBay":

          Well, since eBay.com is currently wholly dependant upon the fees they collect from Sellers, Right? ...

          If people quite selling on eBay then that would Directly affect their bottom line, at least in terms of their eBay.com "consumer retail site / operations", Right?

          And the same with PayPal, if people quit using / accepting PayPal as a payment method for their products and services, Right?

          Thank you for those useful and helpful references / alternatives to eBay, Dekko! and All for your participation and Have a Great Day!

          - Michael
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[70679].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author logocheckout
          Originally Posted by Dekko View Post

          I like Blujay.com. It has a wonderful look and easy to use interface. It's indexed regularly by Google. It's a fun site to use.

          Unlike eBay, Blujay doesn't have a large customer base. However, if you promote your store properly (using proven Internet Marketing Strategies) you can do quite well there.

          Another neat alternative, still in beta, and part of Paypal (which is owned by eBay) is the new Paypal storefront widget which can be embedded directly into your blog or website. The store is viral, so if you can convince others to sell your products, all they need to do is embed the code on their site.

          PayPal Xilab Widgets

          Note: As yet, there is no link on the Paypal site to this widget - it's just available from the above link.
          If I sign up with bluejay, please direct me with marketing strategies that I could use. thanks.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[72131].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thehypnotist
          maybe we can all design are own widgets Widgetbox › Create Widget that we can give to our affalites
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JOhnny Depth
    Amazon is the site that I can think of.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Charles E. White
      I'm a powerseller and closed my store today on Ebay. I'm tired of their high fees and changes they made in 2008 and 2009 that are destroying the sellers chance of making money.

      I tried a new site called bonanzle. I'll let you know how it does, it's only about 4 months old but has 17,000 members.
      Signature

      Charles E. White
      Internet Money Making Programs
      http://www.internetmoneymakingprograms.com
      ^Find out the programs and products we have found to be worth the money^
      Join our FREE newsletter and get up-to-date details.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382824].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thehypnotist
        I am also tired of ebay,it cost me money instead of making money,at least a few years ago you knew that you would atleast cover your listing fees.

        I think many people have got into a comfort zone and now ebay is using that fear of loss to try and make people stick with thier strange policies.

        Well for one thing when people search for me via google and see a link to my ebay shop they will all wonder where i have gone,I hope that they find me again,but in the back of my head I know they will.

        people and compnays should not underestimate the power of word and mouse.

        thehypnotist
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382862].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thehypnotist
          Just had an idea,someone should set up a website that says dump your ebay user names here and then allow people to arrange a url direct, abit like a protest site.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ptone
    I keep reading "sellers" this and "sellers" that (not so much on this thread as other places). I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but sellers DO NOT drive ebay's market, BUYERS do! All decisions ebay makes is to better the BUYERS' experience (at least in their opinion to which I may agree or disagree).

    I also see "sellers paying the fees" being mentioned. Let's get real, ALL FEES ARE PAID BY THE BUYER...NOT THE SELLER (no - I don't mean who makes the transaction...I mean where does that money originate). Sellers calculate the fees in the final bid price or Buy It Now price (if they want to make a profit), therefore, the fees are paid by the buyer.

    Furthermore, the "if all sellers go somewhere else" argument is pure fantasy. As long as there are buyers at ebay, there will be someone there to sell it to them - period!

    I've never understood how sellers on ebay think that THEY are the ones that make ebay what it is. They ARE NOT...it IS the buyers. As soon as they understand this, they may be able to adapt better to changing conditions and have a more profitable business because of the traffic ebay GIVES you.

    In the OP, Ed also mentions affiliates being dropped. Yes, ebay has been dropping affiliates, but from what I've seen, it was affiliates that were cookie stuffing (AKA stealing), or ran warez sites, or spyware downloads, etc. The biggest REAL problem I've seen with their affiliate program is it taking forever to approve new applicants. But, this could be because new applicants don't have approvable sites...I don't know.

    But alas, to address Ed's question which was who are ebay's competitors. I will agree with Johnny Depth's opinion in that Amazon is their greatest competition. Yes, Amazon operates differently than ebay, but remember, we are talking about BUYER'S EXPERIENCE. Buyers can go to ebay to find a great deal on a specific item, or they can go to Amazon and find a great deal on that same item. Right now, it seems that Amazon has a good shot to take the reputation for being the "go-to" place to find that bargain. We'll see, but right now, those other places mentioned don't even come close.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AskStevenSmith
    I've given up on eBay. It is almost set up for the seller to fail. The profits keep getting smaller and smaller. I tried Ioffer with no success. I am going to set up shop as Amazon very soon.

    Steve
    Signature

    High Quality Article Writer For $5.00 Per Article. Check out my samples:
    www.article-writer.biz

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[382900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gdavis01
    I personally like Yahoo! Auctions, ebay was GREAT a few years ago, but now it's so-so.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[387533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Debbie Songster
    I keep reading "sellers" this and "sellers" that (not so much on this thread as other places). I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but sellers DO NOT drive ebay's market, BUYERS do! All decisions ebay makes is to better the BUYERS' experience (at least in their opinion to which I may agree or disagree).

    I also see "sellers paying the fees" being mentioned. Let's get real, ALL FEES ARE PAID BY THE BUYER...NOT THE SELLER (no - I don't mean who makes the transaction...I mean where does that money originate). Sellers calculate the fees in the final bid price or Buy It Now price (if they want to make a profit), therefore, the fees are paid by the buyer.

    Furthermore, the "if all sellers go somewhere else" argument is pure fantasy. As long as there are buyers at ebay, there will be someone there to sell it to them - period!

    I've never understood how sellers on ebay think that THEY are the ones that make ebay what it is. They ARE NOT...it IS the buyers. As soon as they understand this, they may be able to adapt better to changing conditions and have a more profitable business because of the traffic ebay GIVES you.
    I don't know what you are smoking ptone but its affecting your logical thought processes.

    Ebay's business model is quite simple.

    Charge SELLERS to list their items for sale AND when someone buys charge the SELLER an additional fee based on the final selling price.

    Guess what Einstein - if no one bought anything off of eBay, eBay would still make money because the SELLER paid to list the item.
    The buyer pays nothing to eBay - the SELLER does.

    So let me put this another way.

    Take away all the buyers and eBay will still make money off the SELLER listing fees
    Take away all the SELLERS and eBay will go broke.

    You have to have something to sell first before you can attract buyers. Thats why some of these other auction sites take a long time to get going. First you attract the SELLERS and the buyers follow.
    Signature

    Getting back in the grove after taking a year off following a family tragedy.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[387561].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ptone
      Originally Posted by Debbie Songster View Post

      I don't know what you are smoking ptone but its affecting your logical thought processes.
      My logical thought process is just fine...I'm about to show you.

      Ebay's business model is quite simple.
      Yet, you still don't get it.

      Charge SELLERS to list their items for sale AND when someone buys charge the SELLER an additional fee based on the final selling price.
      As I stated, I'm NOT talking about WHO makes the transaction. Yes, I know the seller actually sends the money to ebay, but WHERE did that money come from? IT COMES FROM THE MONEY THE SELLER SENT YOU. If you don't sell a particular item, then the money comes from the money you received from another item and your overall profit just went down (is this really that hard to understand?)

      You are looking at this on a transaction by transaction basis. That's fine for certain business analysis, but it misses the point I am trying to make. If you make $1000 in total revenues from selling on ebay, and the fees total $300, and the cost of the product (and shipping, packaging, etc.) costs $600, then you made $100 profit. Great, now where did the $300 that you pay ebay come from? The $1,000 you received from your customers. Therefore, when I say that the fees come from the buyers, not the sellers, this is what I'm talking about (please tell me this is starting to sink in).

      Bottom line is this...if YOU AS A SELLER do not calculate your fees (all of them) into the price (But It Now, Auction, or otherwise), then that is a YOU problem and you don't know how to price the products you are selling.

      No matter what kind of business you run, whether you are an ebay seller, have a website you sell products from, or even a brick and mortar, you have expenses called overhead. These expenses (ebay fees) are paid out of your revenues from your customers. Otherwise, you will go broke (or your accounting will be all screwed up)!
      Guess what Einstein - if no one bought anything off of eBay, eBay would still make money because the SELLER paid to list the item.
      The buyer pays nothing to eBay - the SELLER does.

      So let me put this another way.

      Take away all the buyers and eBay will still make money off the SELLER listing fees
      Take away all the SELLERS and eBay will go broke.

      You have to have something to sell first before you can attract buyers. Thats why some of these other auction sites take a long time to get going. First you attract the SELLERS and the buyers follow.
      WHAT!?!? You are telling me that if all the buyers leave ebay, that the sellers will stick around and keep listing and keep paying fees? That's total insanity. Please re-read what you wrote - you can't be serious!

      Willie Crawford, et al have stated "find a market of hungry buyers and sell them what they want. " Pretty sound advice if you ask me. But, you are saying, "find a market of hungry SELLERS and the buyers will follow." Not very sound advice (if you ask me).

      Debbie, if you want to deny the truth, that's your choice, but trust me, as long as buyers are showing up on ebay's proverbial doorstep, THERE WILL BE SELLERS (just following Willie's great advice). Because of this, like it or not, ALL ebay sellers are indispensible to ebay. They know that if you leave, someone will quickly come in and fill your shoes. I know this is tough to swallow, but it IS the truth.

      And yes, Charles E. White, I have sold on ebay before. But I also understood that I was NOT the reason ebay is what it is.

      In EVERY business (yep - 100% of them), it is the customers (buyers) that make a business a business.

      And just for the record, if I'm ready to buy a physical item, I ALWAYS go to Amazon first (used to go to ebay first). I no longer sell on ebay, nor do I sell on Amazon (but am seriously considering their program for selling ebooks for the Kindle). Also, I no longer promote ebay as an affiliate (no, I wasn't banned) and have moved all efforts over to Amazon Associates.

      I have no special love for ebay, I just get tired of sellers thinking that THEY are why ebay has been so successful. It's not, its because of the millions of BUYERS and the billions of dollars they bring with them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[397004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OmarNegron
    Hey ...yep eBay sucks.

    check out my video about it .

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[388079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ragstworiches
    Hi,

    I think a lot of people are missing the point of what really makes selling on ebay difficult, I couldn't care less about the fees, if you are selling a product priced correctly that is desirable you will always make a profit, If there was no room for profit Ebay would be empty right now. I would say a lot of people are jumping ship (like myself) as Ebay made it more difficult for them to do what they where doing before. As no digital downloads are allowed a lot of people do not have the time or energy to start sending physical products. This is only a minor problem, the real issue with Ebay is the feedback policy, I have been suspended more times than I can remember for customers complaining, although 98% of my customers where satisfied, it only takes a few criticisms to get you thrown off. Ebay is incredibly conservative and rather than police there service properly and allow legimate businessesses to thrive, they have a ham fisted approach of banning and suspending with the slightest complaint from the customer.

    They say the customer is always right, but they have been given far too much power on Ebay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[425569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sparrow
      When you add up all the downside issues for some of us,

      to much buyer feed back power

      no digital downloads

      fee structure

      its no wonder why some people are jumping ship

      Ed

      Originally Posted by ragstworiches View Post

      Hi,

      I think a lot of people are missing the point of what really makes selling on ebay difficult, I couldn't care less about the fees, if you are selling a product priced correctly that is desirable you will always make a profit, If there was no room for profit Ebay would be empty right now. I would say a lot of people are jumping ship (like myself) as Ebay made it more difficult for them to do what they where doing before. As no digital downloads are allowed a lot of people do not have the time or energy to start sending physical products. This is only a minor problem, the real issue with Ebay is the feedback policy, I have been suspended more times than I can remember for customers complaining, although 98% of my customers where satisfied, it only takes a few criticisms to get you thrown off. Ebay is incredibly conservative and rather than police there service properly and allow legimate businessesses to thrive, they have a ham fisted approach of banning and suspending with the slightest complaint from the customer.

      They say the customer is always right, but they have been given far too much power on Ebay.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Red Tomatoe
    I agree with you ragstowriches, way too much power for the buyer, who I found at the slightest whim would give criticism and expect unrealistic service.

    Its way too conservative and all reason seems to have gone out of the window. Whilst we all know the way to suceed is to overdeliver on expectations, but that place annoys the hell out of me and has done for some time now. One neutral review never mind a negative ish one and it can seriously affect oyur cred.

    Rant over

    Red Tomatoe-o)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[425621].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andrewpearson
    Thanks Ed, another practical think-outside-the-box product, an excellent read which has me brimming with ideas.

    I especially like the way in which you dont bash ebay but rather take proven principles from ebay and apply them to tangible alternatives and the examples and screenshots are very helpful.

    Highly Recommended, Thanks,

    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Pearson.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[460261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chuck7
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[460517].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yourreviewer
      Hello Folks,
      More than alternatives, can anyone also talk about your experiences with ebay alternative sites in terms of commissions and how profitable they are. My main concern is that masses recognize ebay but I am not so sure how much they would trust these ebay alternatives.

      Thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[460536].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sparrow
        Have you tried looking at the forums on the alternatives

        The combination of the recent increase of traffic to these sites thanks to Google, has many of them saying they had a banner year without the issues of eBay. The individuals in general I see writing about this in their forums are also ex eBay sellers.

        As with any business/website they all have their issues, the fact is people do buy from other places and why not just put yourself in front of them and test it out.

        Originally Posted by yourreviewer View Post

        Hello Folks,
        More than alternatives, can anyone also talk about your experiences with ebay alternative sites in terms of commissions and how profitable they are. My main concern is that masses recognize ebay but I am not so sure how much they would trust these ebay alternatives.

        Thanks
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freebiekid
    craigs list
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[460549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomWilson
    Well: I'm going to jump in on this one not going to say anything that really hasn't already been said, but I feel like venting about how seller unfriendly Ebay has become.

    I actually sold on ebay as part time business for 3 years straight and I quite about 3 years ago, because know matter what even thought what I was selling was the highest quality on ebay in my niche people simply were not willing to pay a high enough price to make make it worth my time.

    If I had the capitol to pay somone else to do the fulfillment or could have gotten suppliers to drop ship then that would be different. It was the niche I'm in partially that was the problem, because there was a huge market, but most people in the market think they are experts and yet do not have a clue as to what quality really is.

    They actually think that mass produced items are quality when in truth most of the mast produces items in the category I was in were garbage. The difference in quality would be like the difference between some store brand electic drill and a commercial grade Makita. The only difference in the niche was in the difference could be the life or death of the user. Sorry I'm being vague on purpose.

    Anyway I moved a lot of product however profit margin was so low I would have had to move 3 times a much.

    I blame it on Ebay Fees if there fees were reasonable then I could have done much better.

    The fact that I moved a lot of product says it wasn't a inability on my part to write compelling sales copy for that particular niche. The problem was 1 Ebay's fees and the unwillingness of customers to pay the price necessary for quality at the price I was forced to charge, because of Ebay's exorbitant fees.

    I'm selling some personal items on Ebay now just, because I need money fast to pay bills however with the fees its barely worth it matter of fact if I wasn't in my current financial position I would never sell anything on Ebay again.

    Yes I have used craigslist in the past and I just do not like the results I get on the specific kinds of items selling as it typically takes far to long to get anyone and then for the things I'm selling I get even less then I do on Ebay once they finally do sell.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[639330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ebizza
    Craigslist
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[639334].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics