Getting first few clients?

by McCoyH 17 replies
I've been doing IM as an "added service" for my web design customers for a while now and just started a full-time marketing company that I'm going to be pushing...

I'm calling, emailing, door-to-dooring prospects but can't get anyone to listen to me.....

Any tips?

Thanks!!!
#main internet marketing discussion forum #clients
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author LarryHaywood
    I would suggest self help and personal development products geared at your issue...
    Signature

    Doing what everyone else is doing? You'll get the same results... 97% fail. Are you a sheep or a wolf? My team and I are changing the game. It's not as hard to make it online as you might think. Let's connect and see if we can help you.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Abul-Hussain
    Originally Posted by McCoyH View Post

    I've been doing IM as an "added service" for my web design customers for a while now and just started a full-time marketing company that I'm going to be pushing...

    I'm calling, emailing, door-to-dooring prospects but can't get anyone to listen to me.....

    Any tips?

    Thanks!!!
    I run a marketing company too and have an 8-figure client who works internationally. Here's a trick I've shared with my personal coaching clients.

    Go to job sites and apply for marketing jobs [seo manager, social media manager, etc], go to the interview prepared with your pitch and WOW them. Instead of hiring you as an employee, you ask to be hired as a consultant.

    Does this method work? Guess how lil ol me got into the room with the CEO of the 8-figure firm - at their invitation.

    Think out of the box my friend

    Abul
    Signature
    Author | Speaker | Digital Marketing Coach

    I help ordinary people achieve extraordinary results online. Get in touch to see how we can help you build a 6 figure business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374115].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marketing Fool
      Originally Posted by Abul-Hussain View Post

      I run a marketing company too and have an 8-figure client who works internationally. Here's a trick I've shared with my personal coaching clients.

      Go to job sites and apply for marketing jobs [seo manager, social media manager, etc], go to the interview prepared with your pitch and WOW them. Instead of hiring you as an employee, you ask to be hired as a consultant.

      Does this method work? Guess how lil ol me got into the room with the CEO of the 8-figure firm - at their invitation.

      Think out of the box my friend

      Abul
      Wow, that's a pretty good idea! One of those..I can't believe I didn't think of that!

      You might also try grabbing a few gigs from eLance.
      Signature
      Learn to CODE at Codemy.com - It's Pretty Awesome!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374141].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Devin X
      Banned
      Originally Posted by LarryHaywood View Post

      I would suggest self help and personal development products geared at your issue...
      Today's #1 pointless response.

      Originally Posted by Abul-Hussain View Post

      I run a marketing company too and have an 8-figure client who works internationally. Here's a trick I've shared with my personal coaching clients.

      Go to job sites and apply for marketing jobs [seo manager, social media manager, etc], go to the interview prepared with your pitch and WOW them. Instead of hiring you as an employee, you ask to be hired as a consultant.

      Does this method work? Guess how lil ol me got into the room with the CEO of the 8-figure firm - at their invitation.

      Think out of the box my friend

      Abul
      Today's #1 Bullsh*t response. That wouldn't work, especially in front of a CEO. They'd show you the door and might even condescendingly thank you for wasting their time. It's obvious you pulled that one out of your...cough.

      @OP you make it seem like you have an existing web design gig...if so, then incorporate the consulting as an upsell.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8376433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author McCoyH
    Thanks guys much appreciated... and the interview idea is a good one!
    Thanks a lot
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374185].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    You can try self-hypnosis for success. Basically rewire your mind so you become....
    U N S T O P P A B L E

    If you need help on this, just PM me.
    Signature
    Hire Your Own Full-time Writer
    American UC Berkeley Graduate | Over 17 years experience
    CLICK HERE to HIRE ME for only $250 per month
    To See Reviews of my work CLICK HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Originally Posted by McCoyH View Post

    I'm calling, emailing, door-to-dooring prospects but can't get anyone to listen to me.....
    Calling and door-to-door marketing is ineffective. If you're buying email lists online, this is ineffective too. Did you start an "internet marketing" firm, or an "offline marketing" firm?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374612].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author McCoyH
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      Calling and door-to-door marketing is ineffective. If you're buying email lists online, this is ineffective too. Did you start an "internet marketing" firm, or an "offline marketing" firm?
      the marketing im offering could be considered a little of both I suppose... ive also been responding to craigslist marketing jobs posting saying how it would be better just use my company then hire someone... had a couple decent responses so far but nothing great...

      thank you all for the replies!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
    email marketing and social media marketing can help you get your first few clients
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimothyTorrents
    The first few clients are always the most difficult.

    Do you have good samples of your work on your website for display? Samples and testimonials are important. You can try to collect testimonials by either offering your services for free to a handful of clients or lowering your rates for a bit. People have no reason to refuse a free offer. Over-deliver and politely ask for a review and 99% of the time a client will give you a great review.

    I think if you just include a few great samples on your website a long with some testimonials plus the marketing work you already do; it won't be long until you get your first few clients.

    Keep at it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374794].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
      Originally Posted by timbonitus View Post

      Do you have good samples of your work on your website for display? Samples and testimonials are important. You can try to collect testimonials by either offering your services for free to a handful of clients or lowering your rates for a bit. People have no reason to refuse a free offer. Over-deliver and politely ask for a review and 99% of the time a client will give you a great review.
      Do this. You are in the "shameless whore" stage of business startup. More important than money is a client list. Nobody wants to be the first client for a new service. They want someone who has been used, abused, tested, pushed against the wall and smacked around a bit... and learned all the right lessons from the experience.

      Get a handful of happy clients (give it to them for free if you have to), then leverage that into referrals, testimonials and a nice portfolio to share online and in sales presentations.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8376516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author isadoregregory
    Yes! Think out of the box. Read marketing books, ebooks and materials to broaden your knowledge on this rather than merely asking people. Goodluck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8374835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Murray Cowell
    Try to get the best out of your friends contacts and ex-customers with whom you've had a good relationship.
    Start with some social media presence and have a user friendly website and emailing marketing campaign. If you have that, try some discounts for the new comers and you'll find some good prospects after that.

    Best of luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8376258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ToryBorysewicz
    Banned
    Originally Posted by rocket2uranus View Post

    Get a handful of happy clients (give it to them for free if you have to), then leverage that into referrals, testimonials and a nice portfolio to share online and in sales presentations.
    I wouldn't suggest giving anything away for free. People value something that they had to spend money for. Well, most anyway!

    To get your first few clients why not try social media. Join groups and interact and also make sure your website looks really classy. That is the first impression and you want to impress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8376573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    Tory,

    To build the business over the long term, I don't disagree with you.

    However, something you cannot sell has no value. In order to build value for a service like this, one needs demonstrable experience. To get experience, it makes sense to "invest" in yourself by valuing clients over paychecks.

    Don't lose sight of the endgame... holding firm to the principle of "not giving it away" in this sensitive stage of business development will be counterproductive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8377683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hometutor
      Originally Posted by rocket2uranus View Post

      To get experience, it makes sense to "invest" in yourself by valuing clients over paychecks.

      Don't lose sight of the endgame... holding firm to the principle of "not giving it away" in this sensitive stage of business development will be counterproductive.
      That was a long hard lesson for me my first year as an in home computer tutor and virus removal specialist here in Honolulu Hawaii. I wanted to be paid for everything I did. Then as I began thinking of helping people more, I began to make more money.

      Rick
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8377708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
    Start to build a list from your website.

    Then email them offering some free services to the first (insert small number) who respond. Any above that who respond (up to a limit), tell them the freebies are gone and offer a reduced rate exclusive to them. Some will bite. You're up and running! You'll get testimonials and case studies and can likely sell these people additional services later anyway.

    Cheers,

    Neil
    Signature

    Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8377789].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics