I have $1000 to invest. Build An Email List?

42 replies
So I have 1k to invest in paid traffic. My best bet is to build an email list right? But what niche is a surefire one to make money in? I don't want to work in health or MMO. Would relationships be my best bet? Once I see returns I can reinvest another 1k etc.
#build #email #invest #list
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by coreytucker View Post

    what niche is a surefire one to make money in?
    It's "what niche is a surefire one for you to make money in", I think?

    I appreciate you want one in which there's a real market of real people buying real products, but that applies to hundreds of niches, because more and more people are buying online, these days. It has to be something that interests you, though.

    These things are all subjective ... and for good and valid reasons.

    Personally, I'd stay away from "relationships" as well as MMO etc. But my reasons may not apply to you.

    Food for thought: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8367277
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8415823].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
      Hey lexy, on a different note, why don`t you add a subscribe form on your blog ? I`d like to subscribe when possible.

      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      It's "what niche is a surefire one for you to make money in", I think?

      I appreciate you want one in which there's a real market of real people buying real products, but that applies to hundreds of niches, because more and more people are buying online, these days. It has to be something that interests you, though.

      These things are all subjective ... and for good and valid reasons.

      Personally, I'd stay away from "relationships" as well as MMO etc. But my reasons may not apply to you.

      Food for thought: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8367277
      Signature
      I Use SiteGround For Hosting
      And SpinRewriter For Unlimited, Unique Content.
      Try Them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    My friend once told me

    "It's not what you're good at.. It's what you want to be good at".

    I like that quote, and there's a lot of truth to it.

    The question is, what do you want to do?

    I suggest planning that out BEFORE you buy any traffic at all.

    Before you spend a dime, I would recommend for you to have a funnel in place so that you can get the best return on investment.

    And yes, I would absolutely suggest that you have an email funnel in place.

    This is just my two cents and what I would personally recommend.

    PS: For some niche brainstorming you can check out existing marketplaces like jvzoo and clickbank.

    It's a good starting point if you're running dry on inspirational ideas.

    Hope this helps or otherwise gives you something to base your next actions off of.

    Good luck

    PPS: You realize there's a difference between the "MMO" and "IM" niches right?

    Food for thought.

    Later
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8415863].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tolaskool
      Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post

      My friend once told me

      "It's not what you're good at.. It's what you want to be good at".

      I like that quote, and there's a lot of truth to it.

      The question is, what do you want to do?

      I suggest planning that out BEFORE you buy any traffic at all.

      Before you spend a dime, I would recommend for you to have a funnel in place so that you can get the best return on investment.

      And yes, I would absolutely suggest that you have an email funnel in place.

      This is just my two cents and what I would personally recommend.

      PS: For some niche brainstorming you can check out existing marketplaces like jvzoo and clickbank.

      It's a good starting point if you're running dry on inspirational ideas.

      Hope this helps or otherwise gives you something to base your next actions off of.

      Good luck

      PPS: You realize there's a difference between the "MMO" and "IM" niches right?

      Food for thought.

      Later
      I couldnt agree more, thanks soo much for this
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8466187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Originally Posted by coreytucker View Post

    But what niche is a surefire one to make money in? I don't want to work in health or MMO.

    Corey, honestly... the best niches to make money in... are the niches that other people are making money in.

    In all honesty, when I'm coaching clients... I can shortcut their research by showing them how to piggy back off the current sellers.

    In other words, why reinvent the wheel when trying to find niches... just check out clickbank and see what the top selling products are in the marketplace... and then try to find sub-niches for that.

    In other words, health, wealth, relationships, career, finance, jobs, money... those will always be top selling niches.

    Why?

    Because any quality of life issue you can solve for someone, they will usually pay you money for.

    That's how I target niches to sell to... I find where the biggest problems are.

    That's why health, career and money, and dating will always be top niches.

    People want to be healthy and thin, they want money and a good job, and they want a partner... they don't want to be lonely.

    so, what I teach clients to do is... go after sub-niches of those using keyword research tools.

    in other words, you know that dating is a hugely profitable niche... but can also be quite cut-throat, so do some digging and find some highly searched for terms with less competition.

    You can do this with any of the top categories... just go for the big and popular niches... and then sub-niche it down so you're finding highly searched upon terms in that niche, but without the competition.

    So, instead of fat loss... maybe the six pack abs niche.

    instead of dating... maybe dating for over 40?

    instead of stocks... maybe stock trading for retirees?

    instead of jobs... maybe part time home based jobs for stay at home moms.

    in other words.. go after sub niches of the most popular ones and you'll get further.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416209].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
      Originally Posted by shawnlebrun View Post

      Corey, honestly... the best niches to make money in... are the niches that other people are making money in.

      In all honesty, when I'm coaching clients... I can shortcut their research by showing them how to piggy back off the current sellers.

      In other words, why reinvent the wheel when trying to find niches... just check out clickbank and see what the top selling products are in the marketplace... and then try to find sub-niches for that.

      In other words, health, wealth, relationships, career, finance, jobs, money... those will always be top selling niches.

      Why?

      Because any quality of life issue you can solve for someone, they will usually pay you money for.

      That's how I target niches to sell to... I find where the biggest problems are.

      That's why health, career and money, and dating will always be top niches.

      People want to be healthy and thin, they want money and a good job, and they want a partner... they don't want to be lonely.

      so, what I teach clients to do is... go after sub-niches of those using keyword research tools.

      in other words, you know that dating is a hugely profitable niche... but can also be quite cut-throat, so do some digging and find some highly searched for terms with less competition.

      You can do this with any of the top categories... just go for the big and popular niches... and then sub-niche it down so you're finding highly searched upon terms in that niche, but without the competition.

      So, instead of fat loss... maybe the six pack abs niche.

      instead of dating... maybe dating for over 40?

      instead of stocks... maybe stock trading for retirees?

      instead of jobs... maybe part time home based jobs for stay at home moms.

      in other words.. go after sub niches of the most popular ones and you'll get further.

      ^^^^^^ What Shawn said... He's Bang On! (and one hell of a marketer too).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8434979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    NO NEED to spend $1000. I have built up my highly responsive list with close to ZERO cash. You only need a SOLID niche, REAL content (not fluff or high falutin garbage), a TARGETED strategy, and the WILLINGNESS to keep tweaking your recruitment pages as well as the emails you send out.

    For example, I started with a very WEAK recruitment page. I read lots of tips at WF from people who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, and I made a new list page and EXPLODED my recruitment rate by 1000% See below:



    You can do the SAME THING and you DON'T NEED $1000. You just need FOCUS, passion, and PERSISTENCE. Read this, it might save your internet marketing life: http://www.warriorforum.com/mind-war...t-because.html
    Signature

    Want To Make More Money Online? Invest in BETTER CONTENT!
    Articles - Blogs - Authority sites - Ecommerce descriptions - Emails - Youtube video scripts - AFFORDABLE RATES!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Borja Obeso
      Why would you want to stay away from make money online when that is exactly what you do? Remember that list building is about establishing yourself as a go to expert, an authority. So it needs to be a niche you have some decent knowledge on.

      My advice is go with something you know or enjoy, it all really comes down to how well you do your email marketing.

      Also, building a list might not be the best investment if you donĀ“t know how to properly build it, what i would do is spend a percentage of those 1k in LEARNING, buy as many reliable email marketing products, study them, then use the remaining budget on actually building your list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sergio Zekanovic
      The best traffic is the one that works for you, converts for you and is profitable for you.
      You can combine both, paid and free traffic. Start with one method, pick the method that feels comfortable for you, track absolutely everything, how much you're spending on it whether it's time or whether it's money. Track everything you put into creating that traffic, based on that how many people came from that traffic source, how many of those converted, did what you wanted them to do, buy your product, sign up for your list, like your facebook or what ever it is, how many people did that! And then you can figure out how much each of those conversions cost, what the resources allocated to each of those conversions was and whether that's worthwhile. Once you know how your traffic's performing, you can maximize that, refine, tweak, you can improve everything about that source of traffic and then move to another one.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Cook
    Go IM for the long term learning. It's the best training ground. If you can do it in this niche, you can then venture off and dominate another.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yestyle
    Banned
    May be you need a advertising campaign, free or paid. Build email list is also good way to increase relationships and potential customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mbacak
    Originally Posted by coreytucker View Post

    So I have 1k to invest in paid traffic. My best bet is to build an email list right? But what niche is a surefire one to make money in? I don't want to work in health or MMO. Would relationships be my best bet? Once I see returns I can reinvest another 1k etc.
    There's a lot of great suggestions on niches, next step
    is getting an optin page to convert so you can get those
    subscribers on your list to build that relationship :-)

    The better you get it converting, the more subs you'll
    get. I hate to say it but you might want to look at that
    1k as an investment to learn, expecially if you are asking
    the type of question you are asking. It just worries me
    when people set expectations to high starting from scratch.

    Not saying you are, but just want to frame you right
    so you can cheer on the right victories and really set
    yourself up for the most success.
    Signature
    The Listbuilding Club (join by clicking below)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8416854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Rexel
    Corey, seems as you're starting at the wrong end. You shouldn't think about spending $1K buying traffic if you haven't even decided on a niche yet And if you're going to buy traffic you should have your AR sequence already set up, at least the first emails to start building relationship and making profits right away. I understand you're looking to make money with affiliate marketing, right?

    /Dan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ontealdon
    When I have money, I spend it too fast.
    Having $1000 ready to spend doesn't mean that you have to spend them all.
    Always look for both cheapest and best way to use it.
    One thousand dollars is actually a good money to invest, really.

    If I were you, I would make a research about upcoming tech devices and if you feel that this device will make money, then invest that device's producers.
    Stock market is a good way to earn fast & good amount of money.
    Signature
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.
    -Henry Ford
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joshyb1231
    internet marketing blogs are huge!!! go for it!

    good luck with whatever you choose
    Signature

    Please do not use affiliate/MLM links in signatures

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
    Originally Posted by carldavies111 View Post

    Internet marketing, MLM are huge niches. Don't neglect them. There massive business for you.
    They are also some of the easiest niches to blow $1,000 in without blinking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418898].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

      They are also some of the easiest niches to blow $1,000 in without blinking.
      This.

      Very much this! The niches in which most customers are spending most money are almost inevitably the ones in which it's easiest for marketers to lose money.

      It seems to me that there's a lot of misguided thinking in this area. Specifically, the mistake is to look just at the size of the market and think "I want a share of that", without allowing for the fact that in much smaller markets, there may be only something like 1% of the number of marketing competitors (or even fewer), and the potential profits may be far more easily accessed.

      "How big the pie is" is sometimes very much less important than "how big your slice is".

      The links inside this post explain further: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8367277

      Originally Posted by mrgoe View Post

      Hey lexy, on a different note, why don`t you add a subscribe form on your blog ? I`d like to subscribe when possible.
      Eew, thank you, but there's nothing much to subscribe to, to be honest. I haven't posted there since the war, and it's hardly a thriving concern - I don't really want a list in anything to do with "internet marketing". There's nothing monetized there at all, so I don't take it very seriously: I only ever "show" it here at all because people keep telling me the advice on "how to write an article" is helpful.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418909].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Malcolm Thomas
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        This.

        Very much this! The niches in which most customers are spending most money are almost inevitably the ones in which it's easiest for marketers to lose money.

        It seems to me that there's a lot of misguided thinking in this area. Specifically, the mistake is to look just at the size of the market and think "I want a share of that", without allowing for the fact that in much smaller markets, there may be only something like 1% of the number of marketing competitors (or even fewer), and the potential profits may be far more easily accessed.

        "How big the pie is" is sometimes very much less important than "how big your slice is".

        The links inside this post explain further: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8367277
        I very much agree with this.

        Most newbies make the big mistake of going after the big niches head first instead of targeting a sub-niche which also will generally have much less competition.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tommy Turner
    I would save your money as others have suggested, and work on getting free traffic. Blog post, articles, social networks, etc... Of course there are many more methods, but just saying...
    Signature

    Create Expert Level Products In 24 Hours Or Less! Rags To Riches PLR Formula

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chocobo244
    Another option could be joint venture with experts, as I spend some money on advertising and another person online helps with strategizing, development app.

    Basically money making online niche still strong, however the concept around it has been changed.
    Signature
    Check out my converting solo ads for IM/MMO offers here. 60% subscribers from premium countries.

    Shorten your Facebook Ads process easily up with automation. Click here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8419435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ods
    If I was you I would put my money into
    bitcoins (bitcoin.org)
    buy.x (fai-enterprise.com/x.html)
    litecoins (litecoin.org
    virtu gold (virtugold.com)
    and the stock market.

    That or I would rather put my money into twitter / facebook and build on those leads.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8432967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Willie Crawford
    I would build a Facebook fanpage on whatever niche you choose,
    and then use Facebook ads to get in front of the percentage of
    the more than 1 billion FB users who are you target audience.

    I'd drive traffic to the Fanpage since you pay less per click when
    you drive FB traffic to pages on FB. On the Fanpage, I'd either
    have an opt-in form, or a VERY prominent Custom Tab that pointed
    to my external opt-in page.

    Facebook ads allow you to target by keyword, country, age, and
    a lot of other demographics. I'd use the FB search capability
    to locate other pages/groups on FB in your chosen niche, and set
    my ads up so that they also displayed to members of those groups
    or pages.

    I understand many advising putting your money away and working
    on free traffic. However, working on that free traffic still has a
    cost... usually your time. So, paid traffic is often the cheapest
    traffic, when you consider "the opportunity cost" of your time.

    You do want to test and track, and I'd probably initially set a
    daily spend limit of $25 - $50 until your tweaked landing pages
    are converting well.

    Willie
    Signature

    Did You Realize That The Majority Of Launches FAIL?
    Here's how to do a wildly successful launch!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8433007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    In all our testing, we go with paid ads, and facebook and test small like willie C said above, when you get something high converting then you go all out!

    We have many ads, and after testing you find that ads per landing page 1 out of ten really kill it. So you keep using that one. Its a lot of testing to really turn that $1000 into $3000 its a bit of works, but I am sure you will get there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8433259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author svetod
    Go for leads generation. I can recommend you the insurance niche in the UK. I am doing couple of insurance products with paid traffic, only and profits can be huge.
    Any questions, let me know.
    Signature
    Want To Know How I Make Money Online? Read my story http://affiliate-lifestyle.com/
    Follow me on Instagram for Daily Inspiration & Free Tips: svetlintodd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8433280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mbacak
    This conversation is also over here: (just asked differently)

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post8424286
    Signature
    The Listbuilding Club (join by clicking below)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8433710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxjpip
    You can build a system first, give real good content that's for PEOPLE. Then test and test and test to make your system better.

    Go for where your passion is, are you really interested in relationship? Or is there other niche that you might have more interest in it.

    Regarding to paid traffic you can try PPC or Facebook ads, they'd give you immediate results and you can make changes according to those results.

    I recommend you do more research once you decide on what paid traffic you want to go for, because it will saves you a lot of money.

    Even you have 1K to spend, if you don't do it right, you will loose money FAST.
    Signature

    #
    #
    # Product + System + Traffic = ??
    #
    #

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8433840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
    You need to think more about ROI. What do you really think the potential ROI on $1000 is?

    $100? $1000? More?

    ROI isn't that great in most cases.

    Be careful in your thinking... Invest wisely.

    $1000 will probably return less than you think possible.

    Good luck though.
    Signature

    Owner bestfivereviewed.com

    Started this stuff 2009. Time is what will teach you the skills you need.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8433867].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
      Originally Posted by Intrepreneur View Post

      You need to think more about ROI. What do you really think the potential ROI on $1000 is?

      $100? $1000? More?

      ROI isn't that great in most cases.

      Be careful in your thinking... Invest wisely.

      $1000 will probably return less than you think possible.

      Good luck though.
      Those are wild and broad assertions to make because you are basing this from your own experience.. or worse, you're basing it off other people's experience.

      The truth in that is it's "your" experience however, someone with more marketing knowledge can increase their ROI. It all starts with having a plan and then seeing the results from small but deliberate tests. Then improving upon the results.

      That's THE ONLY WAY you can get better at increasing your ROI... (Your OWN Experience)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8434988].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
        Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

        Those are wild and broad assertions to make because you are basing this from your own experience.. or worse, you're basing it off other people's experience.

        The truth in that is it's "your" experience however, someone with more marketing knowledge can increase their ROI. It all starts with having a plan and then seeing the results from small but deliberate tests. Then improving upon the results.

        That's THE ONLY WAY you can get better at increasing your ROI... (Your OWN Experience)
        ROI still matters. Regardless of who owns the experience.

        So the question of wha tto do with the $1000 lies in this guy's experience with returning an investment.
        Signature

        Owner bestfivereviewed.com

        Started this stuff 2009. Time is what will teach you the skills you need.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8462351].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
          Originally Posted by Intrepreneur View Post

          ROI still matters. Regardless of who owns the experience.

          So the question of wha tto do with the $1000 lies in this guy's experience with returning an investment.
          You really know how to talk yourself into circles... That's essentially what I said earlier... Of course ROI matters.. it's the ONLY thing that matters.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8462554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usamaverick
    A list means nothing if it doesnt convert. You need traffic and a method to track it. You do have to choose a direction and stick with it. You may even consider how much money you will allocate to building your list monthly at at least quarterly.
    Signature

    Stick to it!
    The right person stumbling
    across your big idea could
    help make it happen!

    www.70webtrafficsecrets.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8434117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author commerce cat
    Whatever you do, test it with a very small amount of money ($25) before expending anything more.

    Remember internet marketing is NOT gambling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8434399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zayne Kendrick
    Originally Posted by coreytucker View Post

    So I have 1k to invest in paid traffic. My best bet is to build an email list right? But what niche is a surefire one to make money in? I don't want to work in health or MMO. Would relationships be my best bet? Once I see returns I can reinvest another 1k etc.
    Hi Corey,

    Your best bet would be to go to a place like offervault.com

    Look in the category section and you'll see some of the best niches/verticals to go after.

    You can also go to a site like dummies.com and check out all the categories/topics on the left side. If they have taken the time to write an entire book about a particular topic, you can bet that there is a big demand for it. You can't really go wrong.

    Once you've created your offer, you can test it out by buying some solo ads, and once you have built a decent sized list, you can also start doing some ad swaps which doesn't cost you anything.

    In fact this is the fastest and smartest way to build a big list.

    You're just leveraging other people's traffic/lists.

    That way instead of trying to rank on the first page of Google or paying to be there, you're simply approaching list owners who are ALREADY in possession of all the potential clients that you need.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8434807].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author papuanac1971
      Recently I've read a lot of post starting with:" I have xxx$ to invest, what should I do"...
      If you don't know what to do means you are not expert in IM and you are asking for help or advice or suggestion.
      Well I can give you one, good one... First invest in your knowledge, learn a bit of IM and how to start make money and than think more of how to invest money.
      People can give you hundreds of suggestions and also can give you case study, and entire guide but it doesn't mean you will make money of it. Its all about testing and testing and testing but smart one. If not you will lose all your money and will not make any so where is the point...
      Work smart and not hard and you will get the result.
      IM is not so simple as other speak about.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8434861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monja
    If you have 1000 Dollars invest in content. It is the best investment, Not an expense because you'll get something in Return - what you don't necessarily get when spending on paid advertising. The more content the more visitors the more Sales - Easy formular, just Hard to Stick to alone
    Signature

    Free Business Class on Skillshare:
    http://skl.sh/2bvH8nS

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8462372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vector Graphics
    I would stick to something related to internet marketing. For years I stayed away from it focusing on other niches like guitar but found it much harder to find JV's, products to promote, solo ads etc.

    If you have a product that helps marketers make money or save time then it will be much easier for you to find potential customers. You also won't be able to find a better niche to attract well known affiliates with large targeted lists.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8462538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geri Richmond
    Hi,
    Building an email list is of the utmost importance. You can help build it with some solo ads sprinkled in.
    Blog commenting and this forum and twitter is where you are going to get some reliable traffic.

    Good luck, hang onto your money and spend it wisely.

    Geri Richmond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8463384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    Keep your money in the bank and study internet marketing until you will be able to create a smart business plan. Otherwise, you will simply burn your money without any positive result.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8466311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brentb
    Just to throw it out there... I make money in ecommerce, gaming, general entertainment niches currently. Never did MMO or MLM or anything like that and I don't plan to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8466389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    Save that money and build that list slowly with free traffic such as seo, link building, social media, forum marketing and more..
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8466761].message }}

Trending Topics