I have a multi-site wordpress setup. So then I walked him on how to use wordpress, install themes and customize it to mock up for potential clients. Using the multi-site wordpress blog, I created his own wordpress website so he could practice to get his confidence up. He did that for a while and was ready to go!
His sister happens to own a business. She had a decent website but he noticed immediately she didn't have a mobile website. So he explained to her why that was working against her and let her know we'd do a free mock up.
This is where I jumped in:
1. I used Willr's Minute Mobile Mockup to mock something up in minutes.
2. I created a video using snagit walking her through the difference between my mock up and her current website and emailed it to her.
3. She was sold. So she sent a paypal deposit of $150 later that day.
4. I had a fiverr guy that owes me a favor, design and install the mobile website for free.
5. Paid my brother-in-law a $50 commission for the referral.
6. A couple of days later I delivered the website to the client and she paid the remaining balance of $150
I usually do mobile websites for $400-$700 but $250 isn't too shabby. It's a pretty good return when you consider I really only spent 2 hours of "work" between just emailing people and mocking up the website.
Moral of the story
Let everyone know what you do when it comes to your internet marketing. Chances are they don't know half of what you know and that's your advantage. Literally show them because they can end up being a nice source of leads for you and make some money for themselves.
I've actually got all my offline clients by referrals and telling people what I'm doing. It's not a consistent way of getting work but it does help. I've managed to make a few thousand this year like this. But obviously I want to scale up and find a more consistent way of getting clients. But this is a start.
Hope this gets your juices flowing...
P.S. Now this client wants me to create a whole new website for another business she wants to start and I'll be doing the SEO for her current business. If I would have said no to the mobile website because it wasn't paying me enough, I would probably missed out on this additional work that should make up for the lower profit I took for the mobile website.