Stop The College Threads!

45 replies
I have seen at least 2 college threads recently.

The latest some dude is asking people if he should leave college...
ON AN INTERNET MARKETING FORUM!

Seriously? Why you would ever and I mean ever...come to an Internet Marketing forum and ask if you should stay in college or not? That shiz is just baffling.

Guys and Gals on this forum should not be making life choices for you.

Not to be mean, but a lot of people on here, make no money..
act like they make money a bomb
and talk as if they are 6 figure earners when they are just getting by.

Its piss easy to do this kind of chat cash shit.

I am not saying everybody is like this tho, but you don't want to be asking these people how you should run shit.

Final word: Go to a careers adviser and ask if you should finish or stay in college not people on the warrior forum.

Peace out college kids
#college #stop #threads
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
    Not to mention the fact that people recommending that they you drop out of college are using the benefit of hindsight to make a recommendation off their experience.

    Would you buy travelers insurance?

    No, because I've never had to use it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonP
    Good points. Not sure why someone would think they have to quit college to pursue IM in the first place. Most people who are in the business work full time+ jobs and do this on the side until it replaces their income, there's no reason why a college kid who's going to have more time cant do that too.

    Jon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AlexGeorge
      I guess sometimes you need confirmation. Also getting the opinions of lots of perhaps older / wiser people can help some one make a more educated decision.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487343].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Stephen Williams
        Originally Posted by AlexGeorge View Post

        I guess sometimes you need confirmation. Also getting the opinions of lots of perhaps older / wiser people can help some one make a more educated decision.
        Confirmation from an internet marketer on college? Not really.
        I understand older / wiser people can point you in a direction.

        But the warrior forum isn't the place to come for non IM educated decisions.
        Signature
        Right To The Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487351].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Alex,
          I guess sometimes you need confirmation. Also getting the opinions of lots of perhaps older / wiser people can help some one make a more educated decision.
          If all they want is confirmation, they won't pay much attention to whichever side disagrees with their preferred answer anyway.

          As far as the rest... anyone with enough sense to pour p_ss out of a boot will know they can't advise some random stranger on important life decisions. The best any of us could do is point out pros and cons of each side, and, if we're really lucky, ask a useful question or two.

          For that matter, most career advisers aren't unbiased enough to trust with those sorts of questions, except as one more source of fodder for making one's own decisions.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487392].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author George Wright
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post


            For that matter, most career advisers aren't unbiased enough to trust with those sorts of questions, except as one more source of fodder for making one's own decisions.


            Paul
            Thank you Paul. I was going to say follow the money. However, you said it so much more tactfully:-)

            George Wright
            Signature
            "The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book." Mickey Spillane
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487422].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AlexGeorge
          Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

          Confirmation from an internet marketer on college? Not really.
          I understand older / wiser people can point you in a direction.

          But the warrior forum isn't the place to come for non IM educated decisions.
          I get what your're saying, but the people here are not just "Internet Marketers" Many of us had or still have other careers and have led varied lives. So its a good place to get a wide spectrum of thought. The pros and cons from many different perspectives.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    I would not even recommend someone that makes 50k per year by IM to drop college because income isn't stable. Stay in college and work your *** off in IM, thats it
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8487491].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Since the topic comes up so often, maybe we need a single Never Ending or "all in 1" thread similar to the ones on web hosting and autoresponder choices.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Stephen,

    I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with your conclusions and reasons for thinking that some good can't came from people asking such questions on the Warrior Forum if they are truly looking for opinions from others that have been down the paths they are approaching.

    Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

    I have seen at least 2 college threads recently.
    Yes, and how many threads have you seen asking the exact same questions about making money on FiveRR, or with affiliate marketing, or where to find graphics, or what's a good WP theme, or who's a good mentor, or what should I do with my 2 million PLR articles?

    Such questions arise repeatedly because new and even returning members don't see every thread on every topic. One solution to the problem would be to get folks to use the search function more often, but I'm not sure that anyone has the answer about how to promote that.

    Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

    Why you would ever and I mean ever...come to an Internet Marketing forum and ask if you should stay in college or not? That shiz is just baffling.
    It's not baffling to me at all. There are many WF members that have struggled with this same question. The person asking wants to have the benefit of the hindsight of those that faced his same dilemma. What decision did others make and was it, in hindsight, a good one? Other than the topic (finish college or not) how is this question any different than someone asking if they should join a particular IM program or buy a particular WSO? The guy was look for feedback from people that have experience.

    Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

    Guys and Gals on this forum should not be making life choices for you.
    The OPs of those threads know that no one can make their life choices for them. The OPs asked for opinions based on experience and nothing more.

    Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

    Not to be mean, but a lot of people on here, make no money.. act like they make money a bomb and talk as if they are 6 figure earners when they are just getting by. Its piss easy to do this kind of chat cash shit.
    You are right, of course. Anyone that relies on answers to questions in any public forum as the gospel truth, in every case, is going to be misled on many occasions. That goes with the territory. But is it any reason to stay away from forums or stop asking questions? Certainly not. Public forums, any forum, if open to personal opinions, are always going to include bad ideas, misleading advice, and poor judgement.

    Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

    Final word: Go to a careers adviser and ask if you should finish or stay in college not people on the warrior forum.
    Stephen, do you think a career adviser that gets a paycheck from a college is going to know anything about the Warrior Forum? Or really anything about Internet marketing? Hopefully a career adviser would be fair and open to lots of possibilities, but most are not going to be qualified to discuss the ins and outs of IM like some experienced Warriors could do.

    I, for one, believe that the questions asked by those wondering about staying in college are legitimate and have a rightful place here on the Warrior Forum.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489185].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Williams
      Hi Steve B.

      I was going to quote you on certain aspects of your somewhat lengthy post, but I have decided to just address it here in a nice wall of text. I think forums are fine for getting opinions on..lets say..Internet Marketing. Warrior forum..internet marketing..goes well together agree?

      College..warrior forum..just not really understanding the reason a college kid wants people's opinions here of all places, as to what he should do with his education. Sure.. I went to college, did you? Cool. So what?

      Go to probably any forum in the world, and you will find educated people. Does that mean WE should decide if somebody ELSE follows an educational path or not? If he REALLY wants to know, if he should continue education, why ask a bunch of internet marketers? And lets face it, most people are trying to be that, including myself.

      But I wont tell a kid to quit college or not.

      Go ask your father, or mother for guidance, people who know you, or friends who dropped out if they regret it? Ask a role model.

      Now you also mentioned something about..how is it different then.."asking how to sell gigs on fiverr" lol? Seriously? Its like.. 1000 times different then regular IM related questions. NOTE: IM RELATED.

      A kids education and choice to stay in or out of it, is very far from a regular IM question on the forum. If you endorse those questions.. along with the few others who seemed to "thank" your post as if it was some holy grail written reply to me, then by all means stick up for it.

      I think those questions should be deleted on this board. Simple as that. If a kid wants to get involved with IM.. fine. He can ask what its like from full timer earners of IM MMO ect. Some of you could answer who are doing well in this market. But to ask about college and dropping out, this is not the place.
      Signature
      Right To The Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489428].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Stephen,

        I think you feel that the thread owner is in the dangerous position because he's taking or not taking advice from forum posters. No one can make a decision for OP. We can't force our will upon him. We are simply giving him the benefit of seeing how someone that was in his same situation feels now that the experience is in the past.

        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        Does that mean WE should decide if somebody ELSE follows an educational path or not? If he REALLY wants to know, if he should continue education, why ask a bunch of internet marketers? But I wont tell a kid to quit college or not.
        We are not deciding anything. He does the deciding - we can only give our opinions.

        The reason it makes sense for him to ask Internet Marketers is because that's one of the paths he's considering. It makes perfect sense. The other path is staying in college. That also makes perfect sense that he would want to know the experience of those who took one or both of these paths he's considering.

        But as others have pointed out (and I wholeheartedly agree), this really doesn't have to be an either/or, one of the other, type decision.

        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        A kids education and choice to stay in or out of it, is very far from a regular IM question on the forum.
        I disagree when he is specifically asking for advice from Internet marketers who have been faced with the same career path decisions that he is considering. To me, it makes very good sense to come to an IM forum to get career path advice about one of his options.

        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        I think those questions should be deleted on this board. Simple as that.
        I personally think this is a very appropriate place to ask such questions - moreso here than other forums where he's not going to get the benefit of hearing from so many Internet Marketing professionals who have been faced with the same questions he has.

        Maybe the best thing for you would be to simply ignore such questions and let others answer the thread.

        I have no interest in CPA marketing. That doesn't mean I want all CPA threads to be banned or removed. I just move on to the threads that I can help with.

        The very best to you,

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490277].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        just not really understanding the reason a college kid wants people's opinions here of all places, as to what he should do with his education.
        "Of all places"? What other places were you thinking of, Stephen? I'm having difficulty thinking of more relevant places they might want to ask opinions.

        You don't think it's interesting and relevant for people thinking of dropping out of school in order to develop an internet marketing business to ask people in an internet marketing forum (some of whom have done exactly that, and some of whom have thought about doing that, and nearly done that, but decided not to) their opinions?

        I do: it sounds like pretty accurate targeting, to me.

        Originally Posted by MikeFranks View Post

        edit: Steve B's replies sum it all up.
        I agree. (And actually that's pretty often the case, around here, one way and another. ).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490301].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author teresarothaar
        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        Go to probably any forum in the world, and you will find educated people. Does that mean WE should decide if somebody ELSE follows an educational path or not?
        You would be shocked just how many people do think they should be telling strangers which educational path to take, along with who they should marry, whether they should have children, and a host of other very personal decisions. It's even funnier when said expert advisors cannot compose a sentence above about a 3rd grade level (and it's not because they're ESL).

        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        Go ask your father, or mother for guidance, people who know you, or friends who dropped out if they regret it? Ask a role model.
        Some people's parents are AWOL (like mine), or they are substance abusers (also like mine), or their parents dropped out of high school and are in no position to give advice regarding college. Not everyone has role models they can turn to. I did not.

        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        I think those questions should be deleted on this board.
        No. Absolutely not. They should be moved to the Off-Topic Forum--you are correct that these are not IM-related questions--but there's no reason to delete them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8533901].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Such questions arise repeatedly because new and even returning members don't see every thread on every topic. One solution to the problem would be to get folks to use the search function more often, but I'm not sure that anyone has the answer about how to promote that.

      If we told people that the forum would pay them 1 penny every time they used the search tool, some people would dig up some pretty nifty stuff...

      But then, others would shortcut the process, never understanding the point of why someone would pay them to use it. :rolleyes:
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twister85
    Why would anyone ask life questions here?

    Ans:- Because they want to get opinions from experienced marketers who had been there. What were the consequences and should they follow the same route or not.

    A person who had been there or know about the question, can advice you more better than a random life advisor. Well what would you ask him? "I make good cash with IM, should I live college?" and he might say " Internet.. What? What the hell is it?, anyway stick to what you do!"

    I'am not saying they lack knowledge but you can talk to a homie instead of strangers right?

    Also, I think that the off topic forum is good for such discussions, not here as we talk about making money here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misshang
    I don't think it's a topic to be deleted, rather treat it as a sub-niche of IM/MMO. Why not come out with a solution or evaluation training for it? People are telling their problems, that's all about it in my opinion.
    Signature

    Join or use my translation group! All languages!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/134837913843675/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489487].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Williams
      Originally Posted by misshang View Post

      I don't think it's a topic to be deleted, rather treat it as a sub-niche of IM/MMO. Why not come out with a solution or evaluation training for it? People are telling their problems, that's all about it in my opinion.
      Why not go to an education forum where you don't need to create any sub-niche and can get answers from people in education and you are on a board related to something as important as life choices and further studying. I just don't think this is the place to ask for it.
      Signature
      Right To The Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489519].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        What I want to know is why do some feel that college vs. IM has to be an either or?

        It most certainly can be both. That's my final answer. Right or wrong, here or there, agree or disagree, my final answer is do both.

        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489719].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jboykin
        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        Why not go to an education forum where you don't need to create any sub-niche and can get answers from people in education and you are on a board related to something as important as life choices and further studying. I just don't think this is the place to ask for it.
        Why not go to an education forum and argue that people considering dropping out of college should stay off IM forums. :confused: I find this thread has even less to do with IM than dropping out of college. Pot calls the Kettle black...

        Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

        A kids education and choice to stay in or out of it, is very far from a regular IM question on the forum. If you endorse those questions.. along with the few others who seemed to "thank" your post as if it was some holy grail written reply to me, then by all means stick up for it.
        Welcome to the Internet bud! Not eveyone is going to agree with you. Don't let that ruin your day
        Signature

        Here's to the Warriors!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489793].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brandon Tanner
        If someone seeking an opinion from an internet marketing forum as to whether or not they should go to college doesn't have the common sense to realize that most of the opinions they get here are probably going to be a little biased towards "no college / just do the IM thing", then they probably don't have the common sense to succeed in college anyways.

        Of course, opinions on the subject from family, friends, or any other source, can be biased too. The smart ones will of course realize this, and take the opinions from several different (and hopefully varied) sources into consideration before making a decision.

        There are many people here at the WF who have gone to college. And many who haven't. So I don't see anything wrong with someone coming here to get some opinions on the subject, as long as they take it all with a grain of salt, and realize that they are going to get biased opinions no matter where they go.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489831].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teresarothaar
      Originally Posted by misshang View Post

      I don't think it's a topic to be deleted, rather treat it as a sub-niche of IM/MMO. Why not come out with a solution or evaluation training for it? People are telling their problems, that's all about it in my opinion.
      I agree. The topics shouldn't be deleted, though perhaps they should be moved to the "Off-Topic Forum."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8533870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    There are a couple of reasons why someone might come here to ask for advice on what would be un-related topics.

    1) When someone begins to view a person or group of people as experts and begins to trust those people with one area of their life, they then begin to start trusting that person or people with other areas of their lives as well.

    But the real reason is probably this

    2) They probably realize on some sub-conscious or even conscious level that if they go to an education forum the odds are that most people there will tell them to stay in college. And because that is not the answer they want they decide to avoid those education forums and come to this forum, or any other forum where they feel they will get the answer they want, which is to drop out of college.

    And like Paul said, they will ignore any advice they don't want to hear.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palmtrees
    Um they ask here because there are a bunch of internet marketers, most of whom either have already finished college or didn't go to college, and the people asking want to be internet marketers so they are asking people in their potential field if they need college. Seems logical to me.

    I don't think your college guidance counselor or "educational forum" is going to have advice for someone wanting to be an affiliate marketer. You might not know that because you look about 14.

    * Then again I am only have a degree that cost $xxx,xxx from an ivy league school that I never used because I make internet monies instead so what do I know.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489782].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Williams
      Originally Posted by palmtrees View Post

      Um they ask here because there are a bunch of internet marketers, most of whom either have already finished college or didn't go to college, and the people asking want to be internet marketers so they are asking people in their potential field if they need college. Seems logical to me.

      I don't think your college guidance counselor is going to have advice for someone wanting to be an affiliate marketer. You might not know that because you look about 14.
      I might not know that because I look 14???

      You clearly didn't go to college with that kind of logic did you sunshine.
      And with a forum name like "palmtrees" you just went full (mod edit: let's keep it civil)

      So instead of asking "should I become an Internet Marketer?".
      They ask
      "Should I quit my education to become an Internet Marketer"?

      Yes I can see how that seems logical to a complete dumb-ass like you.
      Signature
      Right To The Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Williams
      Originally Posted by palmtrees View Post


      * Then again I am only have a degree that cost ,xxx from an ivy league school that I never used because I make internet monies instead so what do I know.
      A degree? You have a degree?

      Kids, STAY IN COLLEGE! If this guy can get a degree there is hope for you all!
      Signature
      Right To The Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post

    I have seen at least 2 college threads recently.

    The latest some dude is asking people if he should leave college...
    ON AN INTERNET MARKETING FORUM!

    Seriously? Why you would ever and I mean ever...come to an Internet Marketing forum and ask if you should stay in college or not? That shiz is just baffling.

    Guys and Gals on this forum should not be making life choices for you.

    Not to be mean, but a lot of people on here, make no money..
    act like they make money a bomb
    and talk as if they are 6 figure earners when they are just getting by.

    Its piss easy to do this kind of chat cash shit.

    I am not saying everybody is like this tho, but you don't want to be asking these people how you should run shit.

    Final word: Go to a careers adviser and ask if you should finish or stay in college not people on the warrior forum.

    Peace out college kids
    It's that time of year, first of all. Second, the thread was a legitimate and good one with plenty of true 6-figure earners giving good, sound advice. The one you are talking about, the guy asking actually decided to stay in school and use his degree as a backup plan.

    I think your final word about going to a career adviser isn't always a good idea. I've had experience with a few of these advisers and they don't always provide good advice, sometimes it's downright horrible.

    When you're seeing some success in the internet marketing world and deciding whether you should stay in college or go full time, I think an internet marketing forum is a great place to get a little bit of advice. However, you are correct, the person starting the thread should be the one making the decision not others in the forum.

    Benjamin Ehinger
    Signature
    Ready to Explode your Content Marketing?

    Discover How to Increase Revenues with My Complete SEO Content Strategy Here!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8489997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aussie_Al
    No you are wrong one of those threads was:

    :-)

    maybe he just means making collages?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFranks
    Ive seen these too. Each to their own though, right?

    making a rant thread really isn't gonna help lol, who knows though.


    Mike



    PS apologies for grammar I'm on my iPhone.


    edit: Steve B's replies sum it all up.
    Signature

    basiczen.net

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490296].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    I think that the college choice is VERY related to Internet Marketing/Business/Career/Financial Independence, etc. and so I think it's appropriate to get opinions from people on a business/financial independence forum if going the business route with or without college is one of the options being considered.

    Mark

    Edit: Alexa was posting at the same time I did. I didn't copy her idea - I promise.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    An easier way is to not click the thread if it's something you don't want to read?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I guess they want to receive a "cop out" advice from people who are ACTUALLY making money, so that they can have a "good reason" for dropping out... like a "to follow their dreams" and "do something that they love" excuse that they can pitch to their parents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    I think you could have probably made your point without the profanity

    The profanity makes you look less professional and kinda takes away from what you are are tying to say.

    Just my opinion though.

    Cheers,
    Coby

    P.S. I dropped out of college to pursue my internet marketing business.

    P.P.S. The same could be said about "rant" threads like this one. :rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owenprescott
    I am at UNI as a graphic designer, I'm also working hard at IM too, it's all about balance. Some courses might fit well with IM so you could also try to combine the two and work on an IM project in college. I would not quit even if I started making +10k a month.
    Signature

    Marketutopia Internet Marketing Blog

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8490563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twister85
    Stop threads on college threads lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8491242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author teresarothaar
    Here's what I think is happening: we've got a student loan bubble in this country. Students in all majors--including so-called "good" STEM fields--are graduating with massive debt, only to obtain minimum-wage work, if they can obtain work at all. Worst of all, this debt cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

    There are simply too many degreed people, and not enough jobs that require degrees.

    This has been going on for the past several years. Thus, today's students are looking at older siblings, classmates, and neighbors who, instead of soaring, are struggling to pick up the million pieces their lives were smashed into. These students are, quite logically, questioning whether it's really a good idea to take on all of this non-dischargeable debt in the hope that it will "qualify" them to make $10.00/hour.

    My advice is simple: do not attend college unless you can graduate with a debt load that is low enough for you to handle on $10.00/hour or less.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8533935].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      Originally Posted by teresarothaar View Post

      Here's what I think is happening: we've got a student loan bubble in this country. Students in all majors--including so-called "good" STEM fields--are graduating with massive debt, only to obtain minimum-wage work, if they can obtain work at all. Worst of all, this debt cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

      There are simply too many degreed people, and not enough jobs that require degrees.

      This has been going on for the past several years. Thus, today's students are looking at older siblings, classmates, and neighbors who, instead of soaring, are struggling to pick up the million pieces their lives were smashed into. These students are, quite logically, questioning whether it's really a good idea to take on all of this non-dischargeable debt in the hope that it will "qualify" them to make $10.00/hour.

      My advice is simple: do not attend college unless you can graduate with a debt load that is low enough for you to handle on $10.00/hour or less.
      Not to deviate from the topic of the thread too much here, but....another piece of advice here for those struggling with student loan debt: head on over to Google and type in "the College Investor". That blogger has an AWESOME free eBook about just that. Though we paid off my wife's school loans already, I still read this book....as I have several relatives and friends who are burdened by student loan debt. It's a huge burden. There really is some great, free, information out there that can help to combat it, if used wisely.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534713].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
        this forum is the "Main Internet Marketing Discussion Forum". I believe College threads should be started in the Off Topic forum. We've had worse discussions in there - lol. :p

        I think we should stick to IM topics in this section and that if we members see a thread that belongs elsewhere, we should flag it as such.
        simple, yes?
        Signature
        ---------------
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534854].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author heavysm
        No, the college threads are relevant. Perhaps not "main marketing discussion forum" relevant but they're definitely relevant (move to off-topic section if it becomes a bother).

        I'm one of the few or many - I have no idea about the stats - whose business pays for their degree so I'll have zero debt upon graduation.

        No one that I have talked to or know about at my school has a situation like mine, so it can be interesting to find out other people's stories on how they've "made it" for themselves.

        So asking these apparently annoying threads about college vs. business might actually serve benefit to someone. Just because some people find it annoying doesn't negate the very real benefit that some other people might be gaining from it.

        Honestly, I say if you can manage it get that degree AND run your business because both can be incredibly rewarding long term.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmaster555
    I think those 2 college threads provided more value than this worthless one you have created.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8533985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
    I really need some advice! I'm building my own garage and need some info.

    • For roof sheathing should I use plywood or OSB?
    • If I use plywood should it be 3 ply or 4 ply?
    • Should the roof be a 4 pitch or go all out with an 8 pitch?
    • Conventional lumber or glue lam for overhead header?
    • I live in the Midwest but should I think about using hurricane clips?
    I figured that this is the perfect place to get advice on these questions, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:


    ~Joseph
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534688].message }}
  • If it is a reason why people come here to test the market on the strength of IM to support people's careers I think it is a valid question that needs to be addressed by senior moderators of this group. If this is where they find support and someone should be here to offer the support.
    Signature

    Sophie Choung
    Solo Ad Queen

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534901].message }}
  • Also in relation to a careers adviser....I would not recommend it...study the market, take care of the market and it will look after you....
    Signature

    Sophie Choung
    Solo Ad Queen

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlexGeorge
    I don't think anyone should ever drop out of college for an internet marketing. Especially people who have never even tried internet marketing before. I see a lot of people who are considering dropping out and then don't know how to set up Wordpress and don't know the basics of marketing. College is there as a safety cushion to increase the rate of landing a reliable job, internet marketing takes time and it's certainly not reliable to a newbie.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8536465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palmtrees
    It's stupid that we are even discussing whether this thread needs to be moved. There was one, ONE, college thread, and one collage thread, which was a joke.

    There was only one person inexplicably hot and bothered by the college thread and that was the original poster.

    Who had to start his own thread about it... thereby continuing what he wanted to stop which was this entire discussion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8537087].message }}

Trending Topics