Myth Buster......Your Blogger Blog can be shut down even if you own your Domain. Im proof of that !

9 replies
I have been meaning to post about this undesirable event that happened to me in May. Just never got around to it.

But I think it is important. I mainly wanted to warn all here , especially newbies, that you are NOT immune from Google shutting down your Blogger blog account ,without warning or reason, even if you own your own domain !

I thought I was !!

I posted this PM message to a Warrior friend here to get her input on the situation so I will copy and paste part of it here :

Okay 5ys. 6 months ago I started Blogging. At the beginning I started on blogspot.com and a month or so later I got and paid for regular domain that I owned thru Google Apps.

That domain has been fine on google Blogger up until exactly a week ago (May). I made a Post that day and a couple of days later I went to make some changes and when I put the domain in browser it said "The requested URL / was not found on this server. That's all we know. 404. That's an error."

I am going wtf ! This has been fine for over 5 years. Its a Blog about medical issues for people and over 95% original articles with over 200 pages.

So I went to Blogger dashboard and pushed 'view blog' and out comes this domain dxxxx.blogspot.com with my Blog all intact . It may have been the very initial domain back in early 2008 when I started Blogging with blogger before I bought my own domain.

So My xxxx.com domain is gone at least it does not operate on Google Servers.
( also if they thought it was a spam blog or bad blog, which it is not, then why wouldn't they just take it down altogether off their servers?)

A few years ago I moved many existing Blogs from Google's blogger servers to Hostgator and WP but I kept a few still on google's Blogger Servers.

This was one of my most successful and the template at Blogger was really good for my Adsense placement so I decided to not transfer it to WP.


Anyway, In this PM I go asking my Warrior friend how to get into C-panel at Google Apps to point my own domain to hostgator which I finally figured out.

But I lost ALL SEO and Back links and original material when Blogger Blog shut this self hosted domain down. I am starting from scratch with zero income but I am over the crying and b@tching

Life goes on , right

Moral of story : To newbies and everyone for that matter do not host a blog on blogspot ( even if you own your domain) because you have no control and it can literally be shut down without warning and reason.

I always thought it was a myth that Google would not touch Blogger blogs with their own self hosted domains.
But they do. If you are serious about blogging go with Wordpress !!


Robert Andrew
#blog #blogger #busterself #domains #hosted #myth #proof #shut
  • Profile picture of the author vikash_kumar
    Indeed, A very good lesson. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

    The worst part of Google is no response or clarification of the actions which has been taken by them to the hard work of years as in your case.

    This is something like, Hang someone...just because of doubt that he or she might have killed someone.

    Google claim itself a great company with taking extra care to give good user experience. We, the user who have created Google to this stage is now paying price of making them Big.

    This type of things are actually start of decline. When Big companies of the past have just don't bother to even listen the case of their stakeholders.

    I wish, We can create another Big giant in search engine technology soon.

    Regards,
    Vikash
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8493447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    I have been meaning to post about this undesirable event that happened to me in May. Just never got around to it.

    But I think it is important. I mainly wanted to warn all here , especially newbies, that you are NOT immune from Google shutting down your Blogger blog account ,without warning or reason, even if you own your own domain !

    I thought I was !!

    I posted this PM message to a Warrior friend here to get her input on the situation so I will copy and paste part of it here :

    Okay 5ys. 6 months ago I started Blogging. At the beginning I started on blogspot.com and a month or so later I got and paid for regular domain that I owned thru Google Apps.

    That domain has been fine on google Blogger up until exactly a week ago (May). I made a Post that day and a couple of days later I went to make some changes and when I put the domain in browser it said "The requested URL / was not found on this server. That's all we know. 404. That's an error."

    I am going wtf ! This has been fine for over 5 years. Its a Blog about medical issues for people and over 95% original articles with over 200 pages.

    So I went to Blogger dashboard and pushed 'view blog' and out comes this domain dxxxx.blogspot.com with my Blog all intact . It may have been the very initial domain back in early 2008 when I started Blogging with blogger before I bought my own domain.

    So My xxxx.com domain is gone at least it does not operate on Google Servers.
    ( also if they thought it was a spam blog or bad blog, which it is not, then why wouldn't they just take it down altogether off their servers?)

    A few years ago I moved many existing Blogs from Google's blogger servers to Hostgator and WP but I kept a few still on google's Blogger Servers.

    This was one of my most successful and the template at Blogger was really good for my Adsense placement so I decided to not transfer it to WP.


    Anyway, In this PM I go asking my Warrior friend how to get into C-panel at Google Apps to point my own domain to hostgator which I finally figured out.

    But I lost ALL SEO and Back links and original material when Blogger Blog shut this self hosted domain down. I am starting from scratch with zero income but I am over the crying and b@tching

    Life goes on , right

    Moral of story : To newbies and everyone for that matter do not host a blog on blogspot ( even if you own your domain) because you have no control and it can literally be shut down without warning and reason.

    I always thought it was a myth that Google would not touch Blogger blogs with their own self hosted domains.
    But they do. If you are serious about blogging go with Wordpress !!


    Robert Andrew
    Can`t you try to get that subdomain back and just redirect it to your own website ? This way you`ll keep part of the SEO juice.. just a thought.
    Signature
    I Use SiteGround For Hosting
    And SpinRewriter For Unlimited, Unique Content.
    Try Them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8493593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prem khaira
    Banned
    Let others learn from this. Great share and GREAT ATTITUDE! What a winner. Keep on going
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8497800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author An Al
    But I lost ALL SEO and Back links and original material when Blogger Blog shut this self hosted domain down. I am starting from scratch with zero income but I am over the crying and b@tching
    Ummm, as long as you rebuild the site with the same pages as before, you haven't lost any seo. Any backlinks you had still point to your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8498070].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by An Al View Post

      Ummm, as long as you rebuild the site with the same pages as before, you haven't lost any seo. Any backlinks you had still point to your site.
      Yes, this is true. This is one of the advantages of using your own domain-name for them, anyway: in case of accident, at least you can quickly set it up again, self-hosted, and not lose all the benefit of your incoming links.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8498086].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        Yes, this is true. This is one of the advantages of using your own domain-name for them, anyway: in case of accident, at least you can quickly set it up again, self-hosted, and not lose all the benefit of your incoming links.
        Yeah that is exactly what I did. Point is if I had used blogspot and never bought own domain I would be really screwed, instead I am just partially screwed .

        But do not do it either way. Get out of Blogger Blog Period.
        Signature

        Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8498196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timpears
    When you have such a successful blog, I can't understand why you would not host it on a paid host such as Hostgator. Change your blog to a 301 redirect and put all your articles on your paid server. I am assuming you can do that as I dont' know for sure if you have that much control over your Blogger account. I don't really do anything with Blogger other than put links there.
    Signature

    Tim Pears

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8498212].message }}

Trending Topics