Mentoring Vs Coaching

by szaby
18 replies
Hello,

Wich of these offers the highest rate for succes?I heard mentoring but i want to confirm it.If yes is it true they almost all succed.

Thank you
#coaching #mentoring
  • Profile picture of the author dropout
    What you are getting at seems to be a game of semantics, and really not one I would think about too much. A coach is a coach is a coach as some famous internet marketer (or was it a poet?) once said.
    Signature

    I mentor in CPA marketing, especially lead generation. PM me for info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Terri LC
    Depends on who your mentor is Szaby. A mentor (which is relational) may coach, but a coach (which is functional) does not mentor. I would say relationships always win.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BlvdJeremy
      Originally Posted by Terri LC View Post

      Depends on who your mentor is Szaby. A mentor (which is relational) may coach, but a coach (which is functional) does not mentor. I would say relationships always win.
      My thoughts exactly!
      Signature

      Jeremy H
      Account Manager
      Blvd-Media Group

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530450].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author szaby
        Originally Posted by BlvdJeremy View Post

        My thoughts exactly!
        Isn`t there anyway from wich you can folllow somenone and have a high succes rate.I`ve been reading about chriss farrell membership.Although its great and voted many times the mos succesefull coaching program i hear that only 1% of the people that join succeed
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530470].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
          Originally Posted by szaby View Post

          Isn`t there anyway from wich you can folllow somenone and have a high succes rate.I`ve been reading about chriss farrell membership.Although its great and voted many times the mos succesefull coaching program i hear that only 1% of the people that join succeed
          Yes and this is precisely why virtually no coaching programs work.
          Its also why coaching is banned on certain marketing forums.

          The goal of coaching, for a coach, is to make money first. Then second, give out information. Information that has already been given out thousands of times before on the interwebs.

          The only thing that makes a coach "unique", is their OWN ability to sell. And when you have blogs like smartpassiveincome... you don't exactly need a coach. Some guys make money due to natural abilities or talents that they always fail to recognize. Then they wind up teaching people the things that didn't actually make them successful. Or they teach the wrong things, stuff people don't really need to know.

          Just look at our education system in the US. If we can't get that right, how do you expect something done on a forum, by some random strangers, to be done right? Where are their "coaching certificates"? Did they major in education? Do they realize that everyone learns in a different way?

          What can they teach you that you cant learn on your own with google?
          My mother taught for 48 years, thats a loooong time.

          She said for the first 10 years, all she really did was follow "the program".
          Around year 20, she learned that kids are VERY different. Around year 30, she realized that there was A LOT MORE to teaching, then merely presenting people with answers and information.

          Really good teachers know how to inspire people, and make them WANT to learn. When you consider how different everybody is, individually, thats something that takes decades of experience to learn.

          Some students will ALWAYS lack motivation. No matter how much you help, or what you do, a good % always slip through the cracks. I see it in my own life. I've tried to mentor various people for free, just by email, I have handed them stuff on a silver platter. Then the second they fail at something it becomes a therapy session. "I'm a failure, I should just give up, everyone in my family is a failure" etc etc. Those types of people don't need coaches, they need therapy lol.

          If I ever was a professional coach, first thing I'd do is run a survey.
          And question #1 would be-

          Why do you want to learn xxxx type of marketing?

          A. money
          B. bills
          C. I hate my job
          D. I love marketing

          Anyone who didn't answer "D", would immediately be kicked out of my program. Thats why I'd make a terrible coach.

          Anyway, let me STFU. I've said enough.

          -RS
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530516].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author szaby
            Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

            Yes and this is precisely why virtually no coaching programs work.
            Its also why coaching is banned on certain marketing forums.

            The goal of coaching, for a coach, is to make money first. Then second, give out information. Information that has already been given out thousands of times before on the interwebs.

            The only thing that makes a coach "unique", is their OWN ability to sell. And when you have blogs like smartpassiveincome... you don't exactly need a coach. Some guys make money due to natural abilities or talents that they always fail to recognize. Then they wind up teaching people the things that didn't actually make them successful. Or they teach the wrong things, stuff people don't really need to know.

            Just look at our education system in the US. If we can't get that right, how do you expect something done on a forum, by some random strangers, to be done right? Where are their "coaching certificates"? Did they major in education? Do they realize that everyone learns in a different way?

            What can they teach you that you cant learn on your own with google?
            My mother taught for 48 years, thats a loooong time.

            She said for the first 10 years, all she really did was follow "the program".
            Around year 20, she learned that kids are VERY different. Around year 30, she realized that there was A LOT MORE to teaching, then merely presenting people with answers and information.

            Really good teachers know how to inspire people, and make them WANT to learn. When you consider how different everybody is, individually, thats something that takes decades of experience to learn.

            Some students will ALWAYS lack motivation. No matter how much you help, or what you do, a good % always slip through the cracks. I see it in my own life. I've tried to mentor various people for free, just by email, I have handed them stuff on a silver platter. Then the second they fail at something it becomes a therapy session. "I'm a failure, I should just give up, everyone in my family is a failure" etc etc. Those types of people don't need coaches, they need therapy lol.

            If I ever was a professional coach, first thing I'd do is run a survey.
            And question #1 would be-

            Why do you want to learn xxxx type of marketing?

            A. money
            B. bills
            C. I hate my job
            D. I love marketing

            Anyone who didn't answer "D", would immediately be kicked out of my program. Thats why I'd make a terrible coach.

            Anyway, let me STFU. I've said enough.

            -RS
            What about mentoring programs do they work or is it still the same useless ana unvaluable information also.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530568].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
              Originally Posted by szaby View Post

              What about mentoring programs do they work or is it still the same useless ana unvaluable information also.
              If you asked someone like me, I'd tell you they're a waste of time.

              Here is a simple fact of life that most people tend to neglect.

              If you want something bad enough, if you have a strong enough passion for it, you WILL find a way to succeed regardless of whether you use a coach, a mentor, google, blogs, forums, or do it all by yourself.

              I don't want to toot my own horn, but take college as an example. Some say college is a good thing, and it is. But I had a VERY STRONG passion for chemistry every since I was boy. I started reading college chemistry books, running experiments in my house, reading, studying, testing, applying, learning how complex organic reactions work etc etc.

              All my friends thought I was insane. But I really was just obsessed with chemistry.

              By the time I actually got to college, and minored in chemistry, I already knew more than most my professors. Classes were boring as hell. I aced all my tests, never did any homework, and wound up losing a lot of passion for chemistry (although a part of me still loves it today). I wound up getting my degree in psychology instead.

              But the moral of the story is this. You have to actually LOVE something, and be OBSESSED with it, to stand a real chance at success.

              I LOVE learning about people. How they react to things. Behavioral psychology, social psychology, evolutionary psychology, etc etc. I read psychology case studies, marketing case studies (from places like APA American Psychological Association (APA) and various other sources.... not from forums).

              I also pay attention to what the REAL successful marketers are doing. There are guys like Patt Flynn who many would consider a successful marketer, at Passive Income: The Smart Passive Income Blog.

              And don't get me wrong, Patt does very well for himself. But I care more about what the "corporate marketers" are doing. How did hallmark become such a well known brand? How did geico become so successful? How did daisy cakes become so well known?

              I remember hearing a brilliant marketer, who had built a multimillion dollar business literally within months. She was sitting on a panel with 3 other very successful marketers. They were discussing how stupid superbowl ads were, how risky they were, and at the end, they were all asked 1 question, "what is the best way to build a business"?

              (I just looked for the video but can't find it).

              This one girl, with decades of experience in marketing HUGELY successful companies, said something that shocked me. I can't recall verbatim but it was something like:

              "marketing isn't about buying advertising space, its not about who can write the fanciest superbowl ad, its not about who has the most money to invest... marketing is about meeting a need, a need that has gone unrecognized for so long, that people don't even realize they need it. And its you're job as a marketer to find out, what that is that people really need. What it is, that they aren't getting".

              Then she used her business as an example. Again, I wish I could recall names here, but if I mentioned the company, many people would know it.

              She realized one day that there was an industry, where peoples needs weren't being met. This was the gift industry. Birthday gifts, wedding gifts, etc etc. She said it didn't matter where people went, they were confused, their options were always limited, and they hated the process of shopping for gifts.
              She explained how there was a MARKET of these people, who HATED shopping for gifts. And no business existed to meet their demands.

              So she started a company that catered specifically to these peoples needs. They basically would to the the research for you, and either find or design something incredibly unique. They SOLVED the problem of gift shopping for a very specific market. Thats the whole point.

              She also stated, she NEVER had to spend money on advertising. While all her competitors were dumping millions for a 15 second ad during the superbowl, her company was spread on social media, people talked about it, and it became successful not because of her website, or any marketing she did, but because she was FULFILLING A NEED that NOBODY was meeting.

              And she was doing this in a COMPETITIVE industry.

              To sum up, marketing isn't about ranking websites, its not about ads, its not about copywriting or backlinks.... its about 1 thing >>> innovation.

              If you can innovate a new and better way to fulfill peoples needs, you've already done all the "marketing" you'll ever have to do.

              And you rarely see that type of creative mentality on here. People are always looking for how to rank a website, whats the best way to "make money", "whos the best mentor or coach".... none of this shit matters.

              People have SO MANY basic needs and desires that aren't being met the way they really want them to be met. And when you REALLY put yourself in someone elses shoes, you begin to see the "matrix".

              Don't get me wrong, I do advertising myself, I rank websites, I rank youtube videos, but 1 simple innovation, can be worth more than ALL your marketing combined. I've seen it in one of my own businesses. I've seen it in other businesses. Don't be a copycat, set trends. Marketing isn't about competition. Contrary to popular belief, competition is NOT "healthy". Real marketing is about innovation and domination. Find a unique need, innovate a way to meet that need, then dominate that niche.

              Thats all you'll ever need to know about marketing if you ask me.

              -SB
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530762].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
          szaby,

          I appreciate that you want good info and want to make good decisions, but as someone else pointed out here, you're nitpicking over semantics.

          Strictly speaking, a mentor is NOT the same as a coach, but in the business world, and in IM in particular, the terms are used interchangeably. A mentor is a coach and vice versa.

          Whether you have a coach or not, YOU are responsible for your own success -- and no one else (including your coach). Success rates vary and a lot of it has to do with how much effort the participants actually put into it. Coaching is not a magic pill. You must still do the work and implement what you're taught. The major benefit of coaching/mentoring from a successful coach/mentor is that you get to shortcut the learning/experience curve.

          Knowing all of that, do your homework. Pick a coach who has a track record of success doing what you want to do, has proof (testimonials) AND is someone you resonate with. You can line up 10 very good coaches teaching what you want to know, but you'll really only resonate with about 1 or 2. Mostly, it's a style/personality issue.

          So do your homework and pick one whom you resonate with.

          Hope that helps!

          Michelle
          Signature
          "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    It`s all about what you learn, the way you are teached, the way you assimilate information. Coaching or mentoring ? Who cares ? as long as you learn what you need to be successful.
    Signature
    Want To Rank on The First Page of Google? Try This:
    - Strong Authority Articles on PBNope.Com and
    - SEO Diversification Package From Rankcol.Com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mybrushset
    Mentoring as it has the edge of Inspiration... Its like Do-it-Yourself with a little help. You need the right intention to move achieve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8530569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lurk
    She may have caught lightening in the bottle. Wish you knew her name so i could do research on her.
    Signature

    DONT USE TIME CARELESSLY FOR IT CANNOT BE RETRIEVED. -LURK

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8531284].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author szaby
      Originally Posted by Lurk View Post

      She may have caught lightening in the bottle. Wish you knew her name so i could do research on her.
      Im pretty curios about her name.And sadly im not a good inovator i want to copy someone at first his or hers system and make my first 1000 dollars online.
      Then i can think about inovating and so on
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8533446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author djneill
    It really depends on the person who is running it, the training, tools, resources, and education they provide. It really boils down to you, and your desire to do the work and continue to push forward.
    Mentors and coaching programs are popping up left and right, do your research and due diligence before joining and see what others are saying, and their experience.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8533499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    You need to get mentoring from someone that has good knowledge about internet marketing and knows different money making strategies
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8534106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IPXPRT
    I too feel mentoring wins. Mentoring is quite different in relation to coaching as mentoring concentrates on building a singular relationship between mentor and mentee that can keep going a lifetime. A coach just stays around as long as you are them paying them. That is one of the explanations why we accept coach does not work. You can see every successful Internet marketer as of I know has had different mentors that they will raise in discussion. Whereas coaches rarely you will hear about successful marketer on the Internet refer to their "coaches" as the motivation behind their success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9105899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    I think knowledge is there for the plucking.



    There's such an ABUNDANCE of free information, that it's literally ridiculous.

    Maybe a modern "coach" or "mentor" just shows you what information to deal with.

    To me? The MOST valuable thing a coach or mentor can do - is promote your stuff for you.

    ;]

    Just my twisted and deranged $.02
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9105984].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bounceback
      Either way I think I need one of these. I am trying different things but need some direction.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9105997].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author heavysm
        I think more in terms of consulting vs coaching.

        Coaching and mentoring are pretty much the same thing. You are guided on how to think, but your mentor doesn't think for you, you are taught to think the way your teacher does.

        A consultant thinks for you, that's what you pay them for. Their ideas are an outside look at your business so that you can change things from a creative third person view.

        Consult thinks for you and a coach guides to on how to think for yourself.

        Ideally the best coaches do a bit of both.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9106225].message }}

Trending Topics