Why you don't want to have a blog or newsletter for your business

39 replies
People recommend having "good content" to attract visitors like having a blog with good information, hoping to attract visitors that might buy your products because they like your blog.

I disagree. A blog can be fetched via RSS and your site not even be noticed. I myself subscribed to a lot of RSS feeds and I wouldn't think in my dreams of buying anything from them, no matter how good they are. And even if the rss only offers a short excerpt of the main post I won't buy a product from there. You have to "take" money from your customers as soon as possible for instance by advertising with AdSense or short-url forwarding monetizers. Hoping that people will like and buy(!) your products because you offer a great game on your page or a great newsletter with information about the niche you are in or a blog is wishful thinking and will not work; it has never worked with me and my efforts regarding this on my own projects haven't worked with other people.

I am surprised that every "how to market on the internet"-guide believes that you had to have a newsletter or blog next to your company to be successful.
#blog #business #email #marketing #newsletter
  • Your findings are interesting, however they are the complete opposite to my own.

    Blogs are a fundamental part of running a website/business/service ... they allow for communication and engagement, one of the prerequisites to keeping customers informed, happy and able to communicate.

    Indeed some of the busiest and most successful websites are blogs.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8563696].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dittmar Liebich
      Are you sure you understand what I am talking about?

      Your goal is to make money with your products. Then you heard that you needed to have a blog and you needed to have a newsletter for which you had to have good content. And by good content people don't mean product information but something about the niche you are in.

      Then you share information about your niche for free and people consume without buying your products.

      PS: MeTellYou, you are not Kern. You don't know what he's doing that brings in money. I saw some information by him and frankly, he is the most retarded person I have seen so far. Retarded people don't sell. Smart people sell.

      PPS: NicoleBeckett, if you are so successful, why have I neither read nor heard about you?
      Obviously, then, those aren't "good" blogs. They're clearly doing something to make you distrust them, which means they're failing miserably in their mission.
      I don't distrust them. I just don't buy from someone just because he has a great writing style.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8564975].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JamesBorg
        Absolutes on either side are probably going to meet a ton of exceptions. I guess the take-home message is always test one's funnels and keep one's options open.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565058].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
        Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

        PPS: NicoleBeckett, if you are so successful, why have I neither read nor heard about you?
        I never claimed to be a celebrity :rolleyes: All I said was that I've built a successful business. Since you're clearly on here just to pick fights, I won't be responding to any other questions/thoughts you post.

        Good luck to you.
        Signature
        Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565939].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DTGeorge
        Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

        Are you sure you understand what I am talking about?

        Your goal is to make money with your products. Then you heard that you needed to have a blog and you needed to have a newsletter for which you had to have good content. And by good content people don't mean product information but something about the niche you are in.

        Then you share information about your niche for free and people consume without buying your products.

        PS: MeTellYou, you are not Kern. You don't know what he's doing that brings in money. I saw some information by him and frankly, he is the most retarded person I have seen so far. Retarded people don't sell. Smart people sell.

        PPS: NicoleBeckett, if you are so successful, why have I neither read nor heard about you? I don't distrust them. I just don't buy from someone just because he has a great writing style.
        I take it back. One dimensional and boring trolling.

        Try harder.
        Signature
        Kickass writer featured in:
        Make a Living Writing
        Be a Freelance Blogger
        Writers in Charge
        Contact me now for quality content at a reasonable rate
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567563].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Volcano
        Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

        PS: MeTellYou, you are not Kern. You don't know what he's doing that brings in money. I saw some information by him and frankly, he is the most retarded person I have seen so far. Retarded people don't sell. Smart people sell.
        Frank Kern, earnings (all-time) US$28 million. [source]

        If you're so much smarter than him, where are your 28 mil?
        Signature
        FREE 300k/month SEO Case Study
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Honest, in-depth 2000+ words Source Phoenix Review

        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567597].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dittmar Liebich
          Originally Posted by Volcano View Post

          Frank Kern, earnings (all-time) US$28 million. [source]

          If you're so much smarter than him, where are your 28 mil?
          He earns money because you are gullible enough to buy. Not because he knows anything new or of value about internet marketing. He repeats everything that has already been around for ages and you buy it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8568943].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goindeep
      Originally Posted by Internet_Corporation View Post

      Your findings are interesting, however they are the complete opposite to my own.

      Blogs are a fundamental part of running a website/business/service ... they allow for communication and engagement, one of the prerequisites to keeping customers informed, happy and able to communicate.

      Indeed some of the busiest and most successful websites are blogs.
      You are right, but it also depends on the business model.

      I think the OP is confusing his own ideologies with that of everyone else on the planet.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    You have to "take" money from your customers as soon as possible for instance by advertising like AdSense or short-url forwarding monetizers. Hoping that people will like and buy(!) your products because you offer a great game on your page or a great newsletter with information about the scene you are in or a blog is wishful thinking and will not work...

    Good luck with your strategy of taking "money from your customers as soon as possible..."

    The way to build a profitable, long-term business is to sell your offers based on what the customer wants and will be valuable to him.

    Any business created on a foundation of "take the money and run" as you have proposed is doomed to fail. Maybe you should reassess your thinking since your own business isn't doing well.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8563732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Good luck with your strategy of taking "money from your customers as soon as possible..."

      The way to build a profitable, long-term business is to sell your offers based on what the customer wants and will be valuable to him.

      Any business created on a foundation of "take the money and run" as you have proposed is doomed to fail. Maybe you should reassess your thinking since your own business isn't doing well.

      Steve
      Am I the only one who has this song stuck in my head right now? lol

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565941].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author alodie
      Hi Steve B.

      "The way to build a profitable, long-term business is to sell your
      offers based on what the customer wants and will be valuable to
      him."

      I could not agree with you more.

      There has been much talk about relationship marketing, as we
      move further into the 21st century of business operations. There
      is much truth to that idea.

      Even new comers to the internet scene has quickly learned to watch
      their backs, and keep their eyes open wide looking for IM sharks who
      would not blink an eye to take them to the "cleaners" of poverty street.

      And by "IM Sharks" i really do mean that in a good way. :-)

      Every one understands that IM is a survival game. Only the fittest will
      survive. But it is also very true that a lot of new comers are getting wiser,
      faster. And good for them. I wish I had their presence of mind when I
      first came onto the internet. I would have saved myself much heartache,
      and literally thousands of wasted hard earned cash.

      But it seems everybody, including myself, is in a great rush to get rich.
      And "we" seem to think it is okay to get rich anyhow we can, even at
      the expense of bringing hurt to struggling marketers.

      But there is always a reckoning. And it is called "boomerang."

      We all have a lot to learn.

      alodie
      Signature
      "Providing personal and business transformational information: Working hard to always give the kind of value that will produce the best results for my customers. Because, the success of my business will depend on my customers' satisfaction."


      Alodieanne
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8568080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author neilfoust
    Check out this website Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

    They have blog and the only way they use to sell stuff is through their blog because it's helpful and interesting to read. So here is example why it would work there are many more sites like that BTW that site makes $10Mil/year
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8563752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dittmar Liebich
      Originally Posted by neilfoust View Post

      Check out this website Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

      They have blog and the only way they use to sell stuff is through their blog because it's helpful and interesting to read. So here is example why it would work there are many more sites like that BTW that site makes $10Mil/year
      What they do is create a need which can seemingly only be met using components they sell.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8569028].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    I myself subscribed to a lot of RSS feeds and I wouldn't think in my dreams of buying anything from them, no matter how good they are.
    Obviously, then, those aren't "good" blogs. They're clearly doing something to make you distrust them, which means they're failing miserably in their mission.

    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    You have to "take" money from your customers as soon as possible for instance by advertising like AdSense or short-url forwarding monetizers.
    Wow This is why people are so skeptical of internet marketers. Building a successful business (online or off) isn't about "taking". It's about building a solid relationship with your audience so that you can count on them to come back AND to refer you to other people.

    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    Hoping that people will like and buy(!) your products because you offer a great game on your page or a great newsletter with information about the scene you are in or a blog is wishful thinking and will not work; it has never worked with me and my efforts regarding this on my own projects haven't worked with other people.
    That's because you shouldn't be offering a "game". Instead, you should be offering valuable information that's presented in an interesting way.

    And, no, I'm not disagreeing with you because I'm a writer. I'm disagreeing with you because I've built a business
    Signature
    Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8563907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MeTellYou
    Kern always releases good content before he asks for money. If it works for him, it really can't be that bad
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8563958].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    I love my blog, it generates me tons of free leads everyday.

    I have been blogging in one form or another since 2007 and it's a great way to build a business.

    If you build it they will not come though, you have to actively get out there and promote it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565393].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JennySweets
    Your initial premise is flawed. Of course, if you are putting up a shite blog with shite rehashed content, it's going to be ineffective.

    I get a headache reading your post and reply o.O I was gonna point by point but you seem to be aimed at riling people up versus constructive conversation
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565804].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by JennySweets View Post

      Your initial premise is flawed. Of course, if you are putting up a shite blog with shite rehashed content, it's going to be ineffective.

      I get a headache reading your post and reply o.O I was gonna point by point but you seem to be aimed at riling people up versus constructive conversation
      Don't sweat him, Jenny...

      I've been fishing for better than half a century now, so I recognize trolling when I see it.:p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DoubleOhDave
    How do you create an authority site then, without making use of latent semantic indexing of your blog post titles and content? Your site will surely get swamped by others whose semantic keywords increase over time, and hence give a pointer to Google that their site is more relevant? I am not a big fan of the numbnuts at Google, but they do hold most of the keys to the kingdom, so whaddaya gonna do?


    Posted from Warrior Forum App for Chrome
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8565977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post


    I am surprised that every "how to market on the internet"-guide believes that you had to have a newsletter or blog next to your company to be successful.
    I'm surprised that because you failed at something, you assume the rest of the world will too.

    I do find it interesting though that you have a need to belittle people who are successful whether they are a household name in the IM arena such as Frank Kern, or successful in their own small business like Nicole.

    That actually says a lot. To everyone.

    Terra
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566084].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
    So what are you suggesting as the alternative? Have a website with only sales pages and products? How do you attract customers?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8566133].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dittmar Liebich
      Wow MissTerraK, passive-aggressive much?

      Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

      So what are you suggesting as the alternative? Have a website with only sales pages and products? How do you attract customers?
      SEO for those people that actually want to buy. People enter "Where do I find X in city Z" into Google. My goal is for them to find me there. If you have a blog or newsletter all you are saying is: "my products are not good enough, I need to bait people into coming to my page using more or less unrelated content".

      Yes, as I mentioned I enjoy that free content. But thinking back I have never bought anything from anyone.

      I buy most things from amazon. Do they have a blog? I don't know and I don't care because I wouldn't read it. Same with newsletter. I go there to buy.

      Sometimes I let a local store which also has an internet representation deliver beverages to my house. I found that service on their webpage. I found their webpage neither through a blog nor a newsletter.

      Also, no person who is putting effort into creating his products has time to write a blog about similar topics or send a newsletter to people for free.

      I am writing this for you not to waste your time with creating a blog or newsletter.

      I have an audio blog. I talk about what matters to me anonymously, ranging from relationships to computer games. I get money from ads. But I would also do it without. Because I like the interaction. But those people would never buy anything from me. The money I earn using the service is low. About 30 people listen to my podcasts each day.

      So I do it because I enjoy doing it, getting to know people from all over germany who happen to share my views.

      But to emphasize it again: this is for fun. This doesn't really help me having bills paid.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8568983].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DoubleOhDave
        Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

        SEO for those people that actually want to buy. People enter "Where do I find X in city Z" into Google. My goal is for them to find me there. If you have a blog or newsletter all you are saying is: "my products are not good enough, I need to bait people into coming to my page using more or less unrelated content".
        I wouldn't trust Google with my girlfriend's dog - which I hate.


        Posted from Warrior Forum App for Chrome
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8569004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DTGeorge
    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    People recommend having "good content" to attract visitors like having a blog with good information, hoping to attract visitors that might buy your products because they like your blog.

    I disagree. A blog can be fetched via RSS and your site not even be noticed. I myself subscribed to a lot of RSS feeds and I wouldn't think in my dreams of buying anything from them, no matter how good they are. And even if the rss only offers a short excerpt of the main post I won't buy a product from there. You have to "take" money from your customers as soon as possible for instance by advertising like AdSense or short-url forwarding monetizers. Hoping that people will like and buy(!) your products because you offer a great game on your page or a great newsletter with information about the scene you are in or a blog is wishful thinking and will not work; it has never worked with me and my efforts regarding this on my own projects haven't worked with other people.

    I am surprised that every "how to market on the internet"-guide believes that you had to have a newsletter or blog next to your company to be successful.
    Well I guess that all those billions made from people selling their own and other's products is just a figment of their imagination?

    Very good trolling I'd say
    Signature
    Kickass writer featured in:
    Make a Living Writing
    Be a Freelance Blogger
    Writers in Charge
    Contact me now for quality content at a reasonable rate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Micah Medina
    Got any data to actually back up what you're saying here, or do you think everyone online is a dweeb who sets up RSS feeds and plays with bitly (some other dude's service hat can be unplugged at any time) because he can't make anything good enough to convert a sale?
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carlamae
    If your blog is good quality information that informs people of what they need, you can't go wrong. My blog brings me leads everyday, not to mention the ongoing customer base I have in my list!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567584].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    People recommend having "good content" to attract visitors like having a blog with good information, hoping to attract visitors that might buy your products because they like your blog.

    I disagree. A blog can be fetched via RSS and your site not even be noticed. I myself subscribed to a lot of RSS feeds and I wouldn't think in my dreams of buying anything from them, no matter how good they are. And even if the rss only offers a short excerpt of the main post I won't buy a product from there. You have to "take" money from your customers as soon as possible for instance by advertising like AdSense or short-url forwarding monetizers. Hoping that people will like and buy(!) your products because you offer a great game on your page or a great newsletter with information about the scene you are in or a blog is wishful thinking and will not work; it has never worked with me and my efforts regarding this on my own projects haven't worked with other people.

    I am surprised that every "how to market on the internet"-guide believes that you had to have a newsletter or blog next to your company to be successful.
    If you are surprised with this guidance because you didn't see positive results this doesn’t mean that the guidance you had was wrong, but that you made many mistakes.

    A blog can be a very helpful tool online for many reasons, especially because it can easily be updated. You should improve your content.

    You shouldn't disregard the power of email messages. Having an email list is quite advantageous because you have a list of potential customers, but you must learn how to use email marketing.

    Everything depends on having the right knowledge and making the right marketing plan. You have to be a good student and learn a lot more about internet marketing if you want to make money online.






    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UnkwnUsr
    Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

    People recommend having "good content" to attract visitors like having a blog with good information, hoping to attract visitors that might buy your products because they like your blog.

    I disagree. A blog can be fetched via RSS and your site not even be noticed. I myself subscribed to a lot of RSS feeds and I wouldn't think in my dreams of buying anything from them, no matter how good they are. And even if the rss only offers a short excerpt of the main post I won't buy a product from there. You have to "take" money from your customers as soon as possible for instance by advertising like AdSense or short-url forwarding monetizers. Hoping that people will like and buy(!) your products because you offer a great game on your page or a great newsletter with information about the scene you are in or a blog is wishful thinking and will not work; it has never worked with me and my efforts regarding this on my own projects haven't worked with other people.

    I am surprised that every "how to market on the internet"-guide believes that you had to have a newsletter or blog next to your company to be successful.
    It probably really depends on the blog and the level of expertise that you can convey to the audience. If you have an average blog that doesn't clearly demonstrate to your readers that you have valuable information that they need and can't find elsewhere, then you won't get many subscribers. Blogging and list building aren't for everyone but to say they aren't valuable is just plain out false.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8567892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author keyon
    Blogs are tools, websites are tools, emails are tools. What really matters is not the tool itself, but what you build with it. If your goal is to build a real relationship with real people, then these tools can be very helpful in making that happen. If your goal is to squeeze a few bucks out of unsuspecting people as quickly as possible, then one tool will work equally poor as another.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8568045].message }}
  • I agree with the OP.

    Every piece of free content you publish should have a direct and immediate purpose: either to generate a lead, or to generate a sale, or to generate a trial signup, or to generate a click, etc. Free content for the sake of free content (aka blogging) for the blurred purpose of "branding" or "building rapport with the community" is a very inefficient use of your time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8569075].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dittmar Liebich
      Anonymous Affiliate, well put.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8583264].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      I agree with the OP.

      Every piece of free content you publish should have a direct and immediate purpose: either to generate a lead, or to generate a sale, or to generate a trial signup, or to generate a click, etc. Free content for the sake of free content (aka blogging) for the blurred purpose of "branding" or "building rapport with the community" is a very inefficient use of your time.
      Hmmm,

      I'm not quite sure that I agree with this.

      Isn't what you describe as "Free content for the sake of free content (aka blogging) for the blurred purpose of "branding" or "building rapport with the community" is a very inefficient use of your time.", a means to develop a stream of income?

      You can ask anyone with a list and they'll tell you that not everyone will purchase something after the first email. It may take several before someone on your list becomes a buying customer. Isn't the content you put in your emails free and building a rapport with your community? Isn't emailing your list a form of blogging so to speak?

      I think that connecting with your readers by blogging develops a trust that some potential customers need before they buy something. What do you think the purpose of branding is? Is it not to get your product/service known and trusted for the purpose of more sales?

      Certainly everyone would love to have an immediate sale but in reality, a lot of potential customers won't take the immediate action that you desire without that trust and once that trust and relationship is developed, word of mouth referrals abound causing more sales.

      I honestly can't see how it could be an inefficient use of your time.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8583866].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

        I agree with the OP.

        Every piece of free content you publish should have a direct and immediate purpose: either to generate a lead, or to generate a sale, or to generate a trial signup, or to generate a click, etc. Free content for the sake of free content (aka blogging) for the blurred purpose of "branding" or "building rapport with the community" is a very inefficient use of your time.
        Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

        Anonymous Affiliate, well put.
        Which part is well put? "I agree with the OP"?

        In all fairness, I almost agree with AA. I just happen to believe that sometimes you have to take things in steps. Sometimes that stream of free content is less like the cheese in the mousetrap and more like the bits of chum you throw behind the boat to get the fish in the mood to feed.

        What may appear as 'Free content for the sake of free content (aka blogging) for the blurred purpose of "branding" or "building rapport with the community"' may in fact be those bits of chum putting people in the right mood to consume the bits with the hooks in them...

        If you repeatedly chum in the same spot (i.e., your blog, Facebook page, whatever), you can teach the fish that your spot is a good place to look for a meal. Even if you don't catch every fish in the school on every trip, you can develop a spot you can get a few from every time you go out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8583976].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rrm
          Originally Posted by Dittmar Liebich View Post

          Yes, as I mentioned I enjoy that free content. But thinking back I have never bought anything from anyone.

          I buy most things from amazon. Do they have a blog? I don't know and I don't care because I wouldn't read it. Same with newsletter. I go there to buy.
          That's part of your problem. You base what you do on what you would do. There are millions of people who do read blogs and many people buy things, including through affiliate products, through links on those sites, if for no other reason than that they have a "relationship" with that person. I know I have.

          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          If you repeatedly chum in the same spot (i.e., your blog, Facebook page, whatever), you can teach the fish that your spot is a good place to look for a meal. Even if you don't catch every fish in the school on every trip, you can develop a spot you can get a few from every time you go out.
          I used to catch crappie the same way around the Christmas trees that were thrown in the water around my pier after the holidays. Go where they are or draw them in. Except we don't want to eat anyone.

          I think most of us really want to provide something really useful and make a living while doing it. Some of us do that with a blog and offers.

          Ron
          Signature

          It's not enough to want it... you have to want it enough.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8584047].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheEye
          Blogs and email lists work well in markets that have repeat customers.

          They also work when selling expensive items. People need time to justify spending the money.

          Not very many people use or even know that RSS feeds exist. Citing this as an example means you are in a very non standard market. Maybe blogs don't work in the market you are in but they work in just about every other market.

          There are many different ways to be successful in internet marketing. If blogging is not a technique you can make work you should stick to what works for you and get better at it.

          I wish you luck with the method you have chosen.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8584074].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Every piece of free content you publish should have a direct and immediate purpose: either to generate a lead, or to generate a sale, or to generate a trial signup, or to generate a click, etc.
      AA,

      This is one strategy for running a business. Some owners are successful with it because the type of business they run caters to impulse buyers and already established brands that need no introduction or explanation. It minimizes the importance of having a list of devoted customers but is better suited to heavy bursts of new traffic. Word of mouth marketing and referral traffic is critical as "new" prospects are always needed; hence, the importance of constantly generating leads and immediate sales. Often new products must be presented in rapid succession to sustain a somewhat constant flow of generated income.

      That's one strategy. But it's only one . . . and not the best one for other types of products and business models.

      AA, that's where I think the OP and you have gotten others a little excited with this thread. The direct and immediate sales model, in my experience and testing, is not the most profitable way to build a business for some other products and especially some high-end services.

      Building a base pool of interested prospects that may not be in a position to purchase right now, but who could be able or willing to purchase at a time in the future, is more conducive to long term business for certain types of sales.

      Here's just one example: high end software. Do you think that type of product is going to be purchased directly at first contact? Of course not. The eventual buyer is going to shop the market, compare brands, features, benefits, and maybe ask others (before purchase) about their opinions. It may take quite a number of "contact points" the the brand and product before a sale is made; hence, the reason many companies employ account and sales managers who are trained to make frequent followup calls to "shepherd" a prospect toward a decision.


      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Free content for the sake of free content (aka blogging) for the blurred purpose of "branding" or "building rapport with the community" is a very inefficient use of your time.
      Yes it is for the impulse buy selling model.

      But again, that model is not the most efficient way to sell products and services that are new, complex, and that need further explanation.

      I don't know of a single serious business owner that publishes free content "for the sake of free content" as you have stated.

      It goes without saying that all content, blog pages, free reports, guest posts, articles etc should have some type of resource box, signup form, link to the author's site, etc so that the content is leveraging the author's time and business reach.

      Just my thoughts,

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8584146].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        AA,

        This is one strategy for running a business. Some owners are successful with it because the type of business they run caters to impulse buyers and already established brands that need no introduction or explanation. It minimizes the importance of having a list of devoted customers but is better suited to heavy bursts of new traffic. Word of mouth marketing and referral traffic is critical as "new" prospects are always needed; hence, the importance of constantly generating leads and immediate sales. Often new products must be presented in rapid succession to sustain a somewhat constant flow of generated income.

        That's one strategy. But it's only one . . . and not the best one for other types of products and business models.

        AA, that's where I think the OP and you have gotten others a little excited with this thread. The direct and immediate sales model, in my experience and testing, is not the most profitable way to build a business for some other products and especially some high-end services.

        Building a base pool of interested prospects that may not be in a position to purchase right now, but who could be able or willing to purchase at a time in the future, is more conducive to long term business for certain types of sales.

        Here's just one example: high end software. Do you think that type of product is going to be purchased directly at first contact? Of course not. The eventual buyer is going to shop the market, compare brands, features, benefits, and maybe ask others (before purchase) about their opinions. It may take quite a number of "contact points" the the brand and product before a sale is made; hence, the reason many companies employ account and sales managers who are trained to make frequent followup calls to "shepherd" a prospect toward a decision.




        Yes it is for the impulse buy selling model.

        But again, that model is not the most efficient way to sell products and services that are new, complex, and that need further explanation.

        I don't know of a single serious business owner that publishes free content "for the sake of free content" as you have stated.

        It goes without saying that all content, blog pages, free reports, guest posts, articles etc should have some type of resource box, signup form, link to the author's site, etc so that the content is leveraging the author's time and business reach.

        Just my thoughts,

        Steve
        Beautifully spoken, Steve.

        Your post is the truth of the matter in a perfect nutshell.

        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8584156].message }}

Trending Topics