Affiliate Contest: What would you do?

6 replies
Hey buddies

So If you were to run an affiliate contest, where the product is $7 - $17 dimesale with affiliate commission of 60%. And the prizes are set as follow:

1st place = $500 (min 80FE)
2nd place = $300 (min 60FE)
3rd place = $200 (min 40FE)
4th place = $100 (min 20FE)

And my concern was, "What if any of the top 4 affiliate didn't reach their minimum goal?" What if the 1st affiliate only sold 75 sales?
Should I still give them the prize? wouldn't this be unfair to others?

Or should I set a terms & condition where if they are in the top4 but was unable to achieve the minimum sales, they could get 50% of prize? or some sort?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
#affiliate #contest #issues
  • Profile picture of the author gearmex
    whats the point of rules if you are not sticking to them...it says clearly Min 80 and if you don't get it, no need to think too many.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8657430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JRJWrites
      Originally Posted by gearmex View Post

      whats the point of rules if you are not sticking to them...it says clearly Min 80 and if you don't get it, no need to think too many.
      I'm sorry, but I don't agree. If he does that, chances are that the affiliate(s) will think that he's cheating on them.

      Originally Posted by Ed Micah View Post

      Should I still give them the prize? wouldn't this be unfair to others?

      Or should I set a terms & condition where if they are in the top4 but was unable to achieve the minimum sales, they could get 50% of prize? or some sort?

      Any suggestions?
      I'm no expert, for sure, but I think they should definitely get something. I'm an affiliate partner for a bicycle store, and I sure would be miffed if I sold more than others and still got nothing for my efforts.

      I think that they 50% of the prize is a good idea to go with. Maybe you should sell a lower price for now, as a test or something?

      JUST MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF THEM KNOW ABOUT THE T&C. No fine print! Print it big and bold and let them know! I like working with clients who are upfront about their conditions.

      Just some humble advice from a relatively newb IM.

      P.S. I'm gonna do something along the same lines (not really, but close) soon, hopefully, so this thread is really useful for me! Thanks for sharing!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8657450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    What ever you decide, but you should make it clear at the start so that in the end you don't have to hear their complains,
    But I personally like your "50%" idea in case no one reaches the top target they still can win something which is fair and it will encourage them and you won't lose your hardworking affiliates.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8663876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
      Originally Posted by jrjohn View Post

      I'm sorry, but I don't agree. If he does that, chances are that the affiliate(s) will think that he's cheating on them.

      I'm no expert, for sure, but I think they should definitely get something. I'm an affiliate partner for a bicycle store, and I sure would be miffed if I sold more than others and still got nothing for my efforts.

      I think that they 50% of the prize is a good idea to go with. Maybe you should sell a lower price for now, as a test or something?

      JUST MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF THEM KNOW ABOUT THE T&C. No fine print! Print it big and bold and let them know! I like working with clients who are upfront about their conditions.

      Just some humble advice from a relatively newb IM.

      P.S. I'm gonna do something along the same lines (not really, but close) soon, hopefully, so this thread is really useful for me! Thanks for sharing!
      Originally Posted by Moneymaker2012 View Post

      What ever you decide, but you should make it clear at the start so that in the end you don't have to hear their complains,
      But I personally like your "50%" idea in case no one reaches the top target they still can win something which is fair and it will encourage them and you won't lose your hardworking affiliates.

      I appreciate all your ideas and comments! I think I will go for the 50% rule
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8663911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AJMontoya
    If any affiliates get close to that 80 sales mark, I would still send them the prize money. You need to treat your top affiliates well so they will be happy to mail for you again in the future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8664529].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ed Micah
      Originally Posted by xismfofx22 View Post

      If any affiliates get close to that 80 sales mark, I would still send them the prize money. You need to treat your top affiliates well so they will be happy to mail for you again in the future.
      I think that's a good point there! If that ever happens, where they're really close to the minimum goal, I'd still give it to them!

      Hoping that the relationship could be good!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8664906].message }}

Trending Topics