Why choosing a niche solely on your passion will cause you to fail

37 replies
If you're trying to choose a niche to get started internet marketing you've probably been told to "choose a niche in what you're passionate about." When an im'er chooses a niche based only on what they are passionate they leave many doors open to failure.

Here's why: It's because if you're serious about making money online you should be playing to win.

This means you want to find where you have an advantage over your competitors. Just like in sports, you exploit your advantage to win the game. If you're playing basketball, a smart coach isn't going let his best post-player shoot threes all night just because he loves and is passionate about shooting threes.

And, in the internet marketing niche people fail over and over again because there are passionate about learning how to make money online. So, what do they do? They start a blog about how to make money online even though they haven't made money yet. This is recipe for failure. You're always going to be playing from behind that way.

What you should do is assess your strengths. Ask yourself what are my strengths? What are my talents? What are you skilled at? Find your strengths then, leverage them to win in market with buyers.
#choosing #fail #niche #passion #solely
  • Profile picture of the author goindeep
    Your kind of wrong but kind of right.

    Nothing is black and white but the colours themselves, believe me.

    I have always said to people to do both.

    I've been saying this for years...

    "take out a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle. On one side write down the things you are good at (strengths) and on the other side right down the things you like (passions). Build a good solid list. Next connect the ones that go together -voila! "
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8659988].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Horny Devil
      Banned
      Originally Posted by goindeep View Post

      Your kind of wrong but kind of right.

      Nothing is black and white but the colours themselves, believe me.

      I have always said to people to do both.

      I've been saying this for years...

      "take out a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle. On one side write down the things you are good at (strengths) and on the other side right down the things you like (passions). Build a good solid list. Next connect the ones that go together -voila! "
      Correct to a certain degree but at the end of the day, who cares about passions and strengths. Passion can't guarantee money, and strength alone doesn't win a war.

      If someone offered you 5k a week to dig graves, would you do it? I'm sure as hell you would, irrespective of whether you liked the work.

      The point being, go where the money is. You can outsource with your profits at a later date if you really don't like the work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660025].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author goindeep
        Not me bro, for me it;s about lifestyle, doing what makes me and my family happy...

        Your attitude reminds me of that of a criminal.

        Dont get me wrong Im not saying your a crim, but that's how crims think. lol.

        Criminals have the same mentality, go where the money is...

        Unfortunately you forget that the main reason people get into the internet game is because of lifestyle. other than money.

        I have best friends that run their own non internet related and strictly offline businesses and some of them make a heap load of money.

        One of my best friends has regular 30K months in turn over, he owns a concreting and landscaping business, he's up between 4-5 every morning, works in blistering heat, freezing cold, has to deal with moron employees that can barely comprehend what a shovel is used for, he's only 30 and already has back and hand problems, he is so stressed after work he needs to drink a couple litres of beer and smoke a dozen ciggies to wind down and his marriage of only 6 months broke down because he worked weekends constantly and when he got home all he could do was sit in front of the TV and drink beer to relax and prepare himself for his next working day.

        If you just want money, sure do that. But if you want a lifestyle to go with that' different. And believe me, a real 4 hour work week lifestyle is much more sought after then even money and is harder to come by. Frank Friggin Kern has admitted he is full of it when he says all he does is surf all day! Sure he is stinking rich but if every time he promotes something he locks himself into an office for 30 day stints, well that ain't living and that's not for me.

        "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660348].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dewayneboyd
          Originally Posted by goindeep View Post

          Not me bro, for me it;s about lifestyle, doing what makes me and my family happy...

          Your attitude reminds me of that of a criminal.

          Dont get me wrong Im not saying your a crim, but that's how crims think. lol.

          Criminals have the same mentality, go where the money is...

          Unfortunately you forget that the main reason people get into the internet game is because of lifestyle. other than money.

          I have best friends that run their own non internet related and strictly offline businesses and some of them make a heap load of money.

          One of my best friends has regular 30K months in turn over, he owns a concreting and landscaping business, he's up between 4-5 every morning, works in blistering heat, freezing cold, has to deal with moron employees that can barely comprehend what a shovel is used for, he's only 30 and already has back and hand problems, he is so stressed after work he needs to drink a couple litres of beer and smoke a dozen ciggies to wind down and his marriage of only 6 months broke down because he worked weekends constantly and when he got home all he could do was sit in front of the TV and drink beer to relax and prepare himself for his next working day.

          If you just want money, sure do that. But if you want a lifestyle to go with that' different. And believe me, a real 4 hour work week lifestyle is much more sought after then even money and is harder to come by. Frank Friggin Kern has admitted he is full of it when he says all he does is surf all day! Sure he is stinking rich but if every time he promotes something he locks himself into an office for 30 day stints, well that ain't living and that's not for me.

          "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"
          Well, if your friend is so successful, sounds like he needs to hire a foreman. Maybe it's stupidity on his part and not a lack of passion. Nothing about that story is relevant. Overworking yourself is a different issue.
          Signature

          1,574,810 unique visitors and counting. And that's just one of my websites.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660880].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
            Although passion alone doesn't guarantee success, it's more likely that going into a business solely for money will cause you to fail. Contrary to what one's intuition might suggest, money on its own is actually a poor motivator.

            There's a simple route to happiness and fulfillment - you either do what you enjoy, or find a way to enjoy what you do.


            Frank
            Signature
            TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8661385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris-
    The advice of writing about something that you're passionate about, usually means something that you are passionate, and very experienced with!

    Even with that, you sometimes have to be creative to make money out of some passions, but at least you know your subject, and will write with genuine passion, which can help.

    The opposite attitude is to approach IM by looking at what is likely to make the most money, rather than your own personal preferences. This can work well tool provided you offer value that you genuinely feel is a benefit for the buyers (or readers).

    So pick one of those approaches, or ideally something that fits both

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyt
    If you have a passion for something that has commercial value, then you can run with it.

    If you have a passion for watching TV all day, then how can you make a living?

    However, if you do something you are not passionate about, you burn out quickly.

    It is not easy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by AntonAtWork View Post

    If you’re trying to choose a niche to get started internet marketing you've probably been told to “choose a niche in what you’re passionate about.” When an im’er chooses a niche based only on what they are passionate they leave many doors open to failure.

    Here’s why: It’s because if you’re serious about making money online you should be playing to win.

    This means you want to find where you have an advantage over your competitors. Just like in sports, you exploit your advantage to win the game. If you’re playing basketball, a smart coach isn’t going let his best post-player shoot threes all night just because he loves and is passionate about shooting threes.

    And, in the internet marketing niche people fail over and over again because there are passionate about learning how to make money online. So, what do they do? They start a blog about how to make money online even though they haven’t made money yet. This is recipe for failure. You’re always going to be playing from behind that way.

    What you should do is assess your strengths. Ask yourself what are my strengths? What are my talents? What are you skilled at? Find your strengths then, leverage them to win in market with buyers.
    The reality is that MANY passions can be be profitable. Also study upon study have shown that entrepreneurs who have a strong passion for their niche have a much better chance at succeeding.

    I hear what you're saying and I partially agree with you, but many successful entrepreneurs have built their businesses around their passions. The one thing I will agree with you is that if they ONLY focus on their passion then they're setting themselves up for failure, which is what your last paragraph addresses.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660502].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
      You are not going to build a successful business around something you don't care about. It won't take long before you realize you have bought yourself a job.

      And there are some things that are just too narrow in scope to have any kind of sustainability. A good niche is one where you really care what you are doing and there are enough people to make plenty of money.
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author koreancowboy
    I tried a few niches that I was moderately passionate about, but then it became a chore to keep going on...eventually, I flamed out.

    Then I started focusing on my true love...cars. Once I poured myself into it, I became successful. Did I make 10K/month? No, but that's not how I measure success. If I did, then I would never be successful.
    Signature

    I provide consulting for companies that use Adobe AEM...you can check out what I've done so far.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660586].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author honestim
      I for one have many a things that I am passionate about in various spheres of my life. When making a business decision I try to find a fine balance between both - my passion and niche I believe has money in it. And even after that some work and some don't.

      Cheers
      HonestIM
      Signature
      Get Custom Animation Explainer Videos starting at $29 per minute
      http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...deos-10-a.html
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author illiptic
    The reason people say to start with a "passion" niche is simply because your are more likely to do the necessary work to actually get into profit mode when it is something that is your passion.

    There are tons of people out there making lots of money in "passion niches", so saying that just going into a "passion" niche indicates failure is incorrect in my opinion.

    However, someone who has an entrepreneur mentality and has developed a certain marketing and communication skillset can go into any niche.....but they have a "passion" to be an entrepreneur and to succeed.

    Passion or not, what matters is whether or not a niche is one that people spend money in.

    Tons of people fail in passion / non passion niches, because they have no personal passion succeed, so I would say that "passion" in that sense is an absolute requirement.

    (just my thoughts)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ppetri
    WILL cause you to fail? That’s complete horse $#!T !! Not only that but this post says YOU WILL fail but doesn’t give a legitimate reason WHY YOU WILL fail!?!

    PASSION EQUALS PROFITS… PERIOD! I have enough clients making 7 figures a year to prove it. But don’t mistake passion for a lack of knowledge. If you have a passion for a niche or industry then you probably have knowledge in it! Which means someone will pay you for that knowledge. You know why? Because most of the idiots in your niche are only out to make money! They have no real power which IS the knowledge itself… Bottom feeders I call them. They are like the lawyers that chase ambulance victims to hospitals. They give no real value to an industry or niche. A passionate/knowledgeable marketer does!

    These fly by night product creators quickly learn a few things on a particular niche to make a few bucks and move on to another niche. They should be sending toilet paper with each and every purchase of crap they sell. True story!! Haha But seriously, this leaves HUGE holes for a knowledgeable/passionate person in that niche to take advantage!

    If you create a complete sales funnel of products and services in your industry with an understanding that you are honestly trying to help the industry and those in need of your knowledge then you will completely dominate any niche! Oh yeah, and make more money than those ambulance chasers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dewayneboyd
    Originally Posted by AntonAtWork View Post

    If you're trying to choose a niche to get started internet marketing you've probably been told to "choose a niche in what you're passionate about." When an im'er chooses a niche based only on what they are passionate they leave many doors open to failure.

    Here's why: It's because if you're serious about making money online you should be playing to win.

    This means you want to find where you have an advantage over your competitors. Just like in sports, you exploit your advantage to win the game. If you're playing basketball, a smart coach isn't going let his best post-player shoot threes all night just because he loves and is passionate about shooting threes.

    And, in the internet marketing niche people fail over and over again because there are passionate about learning how to make money online. So, what do they do? They start a blog about how to make money online even though they haven't made money yet. This is recipe for failure. You're always going to be playing from behind that way.

    What you should do is assess your strengths. Ask yourself what are my strengths? What are my talents? What are you skilled at? Find your strengths then, leverage them to win in market with buyers.
    1. Not all niches someone is passionate about are going to be profitable. And some might even be illegal, such as certain gambling.

    2. This "follow your passion" thing is generally something for lazy people. If you are diligent about earning a living, you will find something profitable and do the work. No excuses.

    3. No matter how passionate you are about a product or service line, you are going to have business tasks that aren't directly related to that product or service. Your real passion better be in building a business, even if you don't like aspects of it. The passion can simply be the desire to be self-employed or financially independent.

    People have taken this general guideline and blown it out of proportion. Of course, you aren't going to work a business when you hate the product or service. But that doesn't mean you need some kind of rabid passion for the product or service, either. Are people passionate about vacuum pumps or pipe cleaners? No, but some people have made a lot of money off of them.
    Signature

    1,574,810 unique visitors and counting. And that's just one of my websites.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8660868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KevinChapman
    I definitely believe you have to be passionate about your chosen niche but it's just as important that it's a profitable niche.

    The two go hand in hand, one without the other just won't work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8661397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JanePlaten
    Banned
    Passion is not the problem here. The inability of focusing on the job is. There is absolutely no problem if you choose a niche you are passionate about, but you will have problems if you do not work from home as you would in an office, with a boss breathing down your neck. Some people have passion but do not know how to properly manage their freedom.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyqnusnite
    I disagree and here is why:
    All niches are profitable in some way and if you pick a niche that you are passionate about, you are most likely to be specialized in that niche and you will be more motivated to work harder because what you are doing does not bore you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danielle Murphyx
    Banned
    If you ask me, the best combination is:
    1.Finding your strengths and talents
    2. Focus them on something you really like
    3. Having some experience in IM (or at least a lot of knowledge and research in it).
    But I did see people who managed to succeed because they were so passionate about the domain, that all the reste came on the way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BLindquist
    I don't agree with the main post. Internet Marketing doesn't just apply to mlm'ers, affiliate marketers and the like. Choosing a subject niche that you are passionate about is great. You'll be able to create lots of quality content that will attract those looking for information you're providing. Your passion will show through.

    monetizing your blog is another story.
    Signature

    Affiliate links and templates are not allowed.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    I think it boils down to your strengths and the type of business you'll set up.

    If you like setting up systems, go for profitable niches where you set it up to be profitable and outsource much of the work.

    Also, the marketing method will make a difference too. I doubt successful CPA marketers are passionate about insurance and debt relief, but they are into copywriting and analyzing numbers.

    If you prefer to be more hands-on in the niche as a content creator, it makes sense to really like the topic and have experience with the topic.
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683500].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by garyt View Post

      If you have a passion for watching TV all day, then how can you make a living?
      Check out the number of people making money by blogging about their favorite TV shows, the stars of those shows, dissecting the episodes, etc.

      Originally Posted by dewayneboyd View Post

      1. Not all niches someone is passionate about are going to be profitable. And some might even be illegal, such as certain gambling.
      You think that just about any niche that's illegal doesn't have money in it? Gambling is one of the most profitable businesses you can be in if you are the house.

      I will meet you part way here, though. There are some niches where there isn't enough money for some people. It's one reason broke people stay broke trying to sell stuff to other broke people.

      Originally Posted by dewayneboyd View Post

      2. This "follow your passion" thing is generally something for lazy people. If you are diligent about earning a living, you will find something profitable and do the work. No excuses.
      Huh? Following your passion means you are lazy? As Mr. Spock would say, "that's illogical." It's quite possible to find something you are passionate about and still be diligent about earning a living and doing the work. The two are not mutually exclusive.

      Originally Posted by dewayneboyd View Post

      3. No matter how passionate you are about a product or service line, you are going to have business tasks that aren't directly related to that product or service. Your real passion better be in building a business, even if you don't like aspects of it. The passion can simply be the desire to be self-employed or financially independent.
      The argument is that if you are pursuing a business you are passionate about, you are more likely to knuckle up and do the grunt work, as opposed to facing the same grunt work in a market that bores you to tears.

      Originally Posted by dewayneboyd View Post

      People have taken this general guideline and blown it out of proportion. Of course, you aren't going to work a business when you hate the product or service. But that doesn't mean you need some kind of rabid passion for the product or service, either. Are people passionate about vacuum pumps or pipe cleaners? No, but some people have made a lot of money off of them.
      Yes, some people have lost perspective on this. I know a couple of people that do sell vacuum pumps, as a matter of fact. They may not be passionate about the pumps, per se, but don't get them started on the processes those pumps are used for unless you have a couple of hours to spare.

      When I got out of school, my first engineering job was with a small manufacturer of mechanical pressure gauges and industrial thermometers. The basic design hasn't changed in over a century. But I got involved in the whole manufacturing process, using modern methods on a mature technology. A couple of our products were used in the tanks used in Desert Storm, and part of my job was working with the government inspectors to make sure the product would meet specs on which lives depended.

      If you look closely enough, even the most mundane products can inspire passion. It's just that, for newbies learning the ropes especially, that having some of that passion going in can make climbing the learning curve easier.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brenda221
    If you evaluate your strengths and end up with an idea that you really don't like, you'll be doing more harm than good in the long run, because even if you're good at what you do, without any passion or drive for continuing to improve your business, it'll just be limited. True, you can't just choose a business without assessing your strengths and weaknesses, but there should be a balance about it, and you have to at least choose something remotely enjoyable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ParkerFar
    I recently posed the question in the WF main forum, "what did you start an internet business?" and the responses are all very similar. Although I would agree with you because if your passion is something that no one else shares or the market is tiny, you probably will fail due to lack of potential buyers.

    I would disagree however, because like others have said, if you are not passionate about your chosen topic you will simply be starting a new job.

    Most folks who responded to my question said things like "enjoy what i do" or "spend more time with loved ones" or "quit my job" and all of these answers tell me that you need to chose something that you ARE passionate about.

    With that said I don't think it is that black and white either. I think folks need to chose topics they are passionate about AND that they have had some level of success in OR have considerable knowledge in. THEN they have to determine whether it's a viable market and if that market can success a person looking for a full time income.

    Just my two cents...
    Signature

    i guess this is where i tell everyone i have a blog, among other things - www.parkerfarington.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683712].message }}
  • Hi people,

    There are a lot of replies some of which we liked and thanked those who posted them. So let's give what we passionately believe in about running with your passion?

    A passion will only eventually result in a profitable online business if an online search using Google and also the new Google Adwords keyword tool show sufficiant monthly searches for that niche and related keywords? If not, no amount of passion will make any difference?

    The main markets which are most profitable to find a niche within are Health, Wealth and Lifestyles. There are many niches within each of them and a few are within 2 or all 3 of these markets and have many monthly searches thoughout the year?

    However time spent learning all about something you are passionate about in order to become an expert is also another way to success and you don't necessarily have to be earning $30k or more a month as long as you are on your way to so doing?

    There are a lot of skills required to succeed online and learning them and becoming very good at a few of them is something others would eventually pay to learn from you?

    As always begin by building your own list if you want a sustainable growing online business without always seeking new buyers for one time gone forever sales?:rolleyes:

    Regards to you all.

    Stephen & Jennifer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SaraHendren
    Sometimes you strenghts make you more passionate. So, put together these could work out pretty well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8688504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brettb
    I disagree with OP. Choose a niche you're passionate about. My main niche is one I do every day, and as a result I have a huge arsenal of photos and anecdotes to work with.

    And check out the forums I've listed on FindAForum. The biggest of the big (you need more than 8 MILLION POSTS to join this elite) are no doubt largely started off by people who were passionate about something.

    ALL of the top forums are hobbies/interests based, like Christianity, Poker and Skyscrapers (!).
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8689213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author biggerk9
    If you are good at something that you will have a passion
    If you have a passion for something that has commercial value, then you can acheve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8689507].message }}
  • I believe that being about something does not exclude making money out of it. You can actually make money out of what you really love to do. You just need careful planning and startegy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8690403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    You don't have to have complete passion for what you choose as your niche, but you should know enough about it to write at least 10 articles or more a week, create videos, ebooks etc. If you are struggling to write content then you probably should move onto something else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8738839].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RuthStewart
    If you are passionate about a subject then it is much easier to write about it. But you still need a whole load of other skills, like focus and determination. They are also vitally important if you want to work online. How about self-discipline? You have to make sure you are doing work when you are sat at your computer or laptop; no money in surfing the 'net and chatting on facebook.

    All the best,

    Ruth
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8738868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    Choosing a passion is very important because if you aren't seeing the results you want, then it will be harder for you to quit if you love what you do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8741166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    When you are knee deep in a niche, actually living it, know all about it, passionate etc you'll see opportunities to make money that outsiders with no knowledge of the niche will never ever come across.

    You don't NEED to be passionate about a niche to succeed in it obviously. A savvy marketer can spot opportunities and exploit them by having content created by those who do know what they are talking about BUT it certainly helps to be passionate and knowledgeable about it.

    If you're planning on running a blog on a subject, writing all the content and doing all the marketing yourself, and you're still not 100% if this IM thing is for you then you'd be much better off picking something you like that ALSO has the potential to make money otherwise there's a good chance you'll struggle, get bored and fail.

    If you just pick a topic why you perceive to be a profitable one and start knocking up content hoping to make $$$ you'll miss the point entirely and likely make nothing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8741319].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author amink
      I will give you a very simple but extremely effective advice.

      NEVER EVER dabble in to something for the sake money only.

      Always, keep in mind genuinely people's benefit and how your product / service can make their life easier and happier. That's the KEY.

      Money then follows the natural path, but money should never be on top of your head.

      Having said that, passion is a natural desire to do something you love doing, and if that involves sharing with other people, it will always win.

      So, no, in essence you will never fail if you follow your real passion, because it comes straight from the heart...

      Lot of cool business ideas goes in drain.. simply because the intent behind them is greed. So stay away from it... and let the air flow in every direction.

      You will never fail. I guarantee it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8741366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    I didn't start working online just to make money somehow, but with the specific intention to promote my products. I didn't follow my passion, but my obligation, since I was working in this niche offline for years, while I also had a store. I was making a long research and doing pro-bono work. When I started working online I had to do what I already knew.

    I deal with problems that cannot be solved. It was not my choice, but I since I can deal with these problems I have the obligation to help those who need support in this area.

    There is money in these niches, but there are also many complications and especially, numerous dangers. I had to prove more than too many things to be accepted, respected, and trusted. If I knew what I would have to deal with, I wouldn’t have the courage to start working online.

    I agree with those who believe that you have to find a way to enjoy what you are doing if it is not what you like.






    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8741412].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader909
    Banned
    Not entirely true. If your passion is say finance, or legal, tax etc..you'll be fine. Anything to do with money/business makes money.

    if your passion is say dog poo..you might struggle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8741849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FitMarketer
    Personally I think to test the waters in internet marketing starting in a niche you are passionate in is a great way to learn the ropes.

    If you find you like it have a little success in it and know its going to be a good fit for you then is the time to get more specific in niches and make more money by expanding. I don't see anything wrong in starting in a niche you have a passion for!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8742543].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kevin jackson
      Follow your passion IF you can find a way to monetize it and it can become self sustaining. If there is a market for your passion and there is a hungry audience willing to pay for it then you have a winner.

      If others are not as passionate as you are about your niche then it will be difficult to monetize that niche if not impossible. If your market is crowded and saturated then you need to focus on branding and relationship building. You have to be distinguished from a million other people and give customers a reason to choose to specifically buy from you rather than your competitors. Stand out as different and unique in a drowning sea of competitors.

      Focus on a specialty or a sub niche or target a specific segment of the market and tailor your marketing or promotion or unique selling propositions towards that segment or sub niche.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8742607].message }}

Trending Topics