Do affiliate product reviews make sense?

16 replies
Hi, friends. This is Max. Affiliate product reviews creation is extra work for a blogger. But what if a vendor's sales page is an awesome product review itself, professionally written and designed, a number of testimonials included. It converts well. Nothing else seems to be necessary. Just make an ad, put it on your blog and direct your blog visitors directly to that page. If your ad directs people to your review you lose a lot of potential buyers because some visitors will not come to the vendor. This is an extra step for customers that might demotivate them to go any further.

Moreover, people don't care about your opinion on the product unless you're an influencer in your industry. They see you promote that specific item as an affiliate and definitely wanna exaggerate its value to make more sales and earn money.

Affiliate reviews are important only when your vendor doesn't provide it for his product. There are sales pages with just a brief description and an order button.

Am I wrong? Thanks.
#affiliate #make #product #reviews #sense
  • Profile picture of the author Danielle Murphyx
    Banned
    I don't understand why now direct people through your ad directly to your own vending page, in stead of the review... The review should bring extra traffic (apart from other kinds of promoting). It's simple: the less clicks the clients has to make to get to you, the more you will win them!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680277].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Max Greenflame
      Originally Posted by Danielle Murphyx View Post

      I don't understand why now direct people through your ad directly to your own vending page, in stead of the review... The review should bring extra traffic (apart from other kinds of promoting). It's simple: the less clicks the clients has to make to get to you, the more you will win them!
      People click your ad on your blog, read your affiliate review and then go to the vendor you promote to check out his own presentation of this product and make an order. Doesn't it look like too much steps for a potential customer? The less clicks the clients has to make to get to the sales page and order button on your vendor's website the more chances you earn money as an affiliate.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680343].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author petelta
        Originally Posted by Max Greenflame View Post

        The less clicks the clients has to make to get to the sales page and order button on your vendor's website the more chances you earn money.
        Not really... the less steps just means the more viewers end up there, not the more buyers it creates.

        Extra steps are useful to qualify your traffic more than just sending straight from an ad. Try and buy ads that lead traffic straight to a CPA offer... you'll get kicked from the program pretty quickly.

        This is because CPA vendors want qualified traffic. So, you put in a landing page that makes sure those that want the offer are the only ones clicking through.
        Signature
        TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
        Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680359].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MagneticKopy
        Originally Posted by Max Greenflame View Post

        People click your ad on your blog, read your affiliate review and then go to the vendor you promote to check out his own presentation of this product and make an order. Doesn't it look like too much steps for a potential customer? The less clicks the clients has to make to get to the sales page and order button on your vendor's website the more chances you earn money as an affiliate.
        No.

        The more steps your visitors are taking, the better.

        They must be targeted. If this is something they truly want or have
        a passion for, then they wouldn't even notice the "extra steps".

        The more qualified, the better.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680367].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Max Greenflame
          Originally Posted by MagneticKopy View Post

          No.

          The more steps your visitors are taking, the better.

          They must be targeted. If this is something they truly want or have
          a passion for, then they wouldn't even notice the "extra steps".

          The more qualified, the better.
          Why filter them? Less targeted visitors also buy.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680460].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Max Greenflame View Post

            Why filter them? Less targeted visitors also buy.
            Because not filtering them can drive away the best/most-likely-to-buy customers.

            Typically, few people buy quickly; many people buy slowly. Return visits are needed. Lack of filtering greatly reduces the probability of return visits by "key prospects".

            It's a little paradoxical, at first sight, but it's such a significant point that appreciating it can even make the difference between overall success and overall failure.

            This reality is also very closely related to the reasons that underlie the fact that list-size can sometimes be in inverse proportion to list income: a squeeze page will typically build a bigger list than is built from an opt-in on a content-rich page of a content-rich site, but a list built from an opt-in on a content-rich page of a content-rich site will often produce significantly more money, again effectively because of (a slightly different type of) filtering.

            Not filtering is a quantitative approach, treating it like a numbers game, imagining that "the more people you have to start with, the more money you're going to make". That's usually not the right approach, in internet marketing.

            MagneticKopy is quite right: the more qualified, the better. When it comes to collecting money in your bank account, the quality of your prospective and actual customers has a habit of outweighing their quantity.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681935].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Max Greenflame
              Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

              Because not filtering them can drive away the best/most-likely-to-buy customers.

              Typically, few people buy quickly; many people buy slowly. Return visits are needed. Lack of filtering greatly reduces the probability of return visits by "key prospects".

              It's a little paradoxical, at first sight, but it's such a significant point that appreciating it can even make the difference between overall success and overall failure.

              This reality is also very closely related to the reasons that underlie the fact that list-size can sometimes be in inverse proportion to list income: a squeeze page will typically build a bigger list than is built from an opt-in on a content-rich page of a content-rich site, but a list built from an opt-in on a content-rich page of a content-rich site will often produce significantly more money, again effectively because of (a slightly different type of) filtering.

              Not filtering is a quantitative approach, treating it like a numbers game, imagining that "the more people you have to start with, the more money you're going to make". That's usually not the right approach, in internet marketing.

              MagneticKopy is quite right: the more qualified, the better. When it comes to collecting money in your bank account, the quality of your prospective and actual customers has a habit of outweighing their quantity.
              Thank you very much, Alexa. Awesome clarification. I've learned a lot of valuable stuff
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683488].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petelta
    Originally Posted by Max Greenflame View Post

    Affiliate reviews are important only when your vendor doesn't provide it for his product.
    Why would someone be more inclined to buy a product when the creator tells you how good it is?

    Review pages are effective because it's the view of an outsider. If you actually buy the product, try it out, and give your honest opinion, it works even better. Build an audience of people who respect your advice and it frickin kills.

    Travis
    Signature
    TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
    Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MagneticKopy
    I have a problem with this quote:

    "Moreover, people don't care about your opinion on the product unless you're an influencer in your industry."

    First off, you do not have to be an "influencer".

    If people don't care about your opinion, it's because they don't know you and they don't TRUST you.

    Instead of sending them to the page directly, what you should have done, is collect their email address so you can create a connection between you and your subscribers.

    Then when that connection is met, ONLY then, do you sell them stuff.

    If "people don't care about what you have to say"... then it's because you did a poor job establishing yourself as a friend and an authority on the subject matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nross128
    The truth is affiliate product reviews are a great thing to have on your blog. People interested in certain products want information on that product. So if you create a review it shows your opinion on the product and they will most likely agree with you. Therefore checking out the sales page with you link. And if they buy you make the sale. When I first got started I made my first sales making small review sites and ranking them in the search engine.
    Signature

    Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UnkwnUsr
    I see what the OP is saying but the fact remains that for SEO you will need some sort of content to get picked up in the search engines. Even if you use PPC you can get your campaign suspended if the page is considered a "doorway" page. So a good product review is a always needed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clean99
    If you are creating a site just for a review of 1 product then maybe you will get buyer interested with bonuses so they rather get the product from you and receive bonuses rather then getting it straight from the seller

    If you have a niche site that helps people to solve their problems then you are an influencer and you will get sales
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author illiptic
    The reality is that the majority of people do not buy on the spot. If you just throw a sales page in their face that will click away and not care.

    A review has the element of YOU in it. You have the opportunity to be the expert that recommends the product. The sales page is there to close people that have already been introduced to the product and have had it recommended to them....that's your job.

    An even better way to go to would be to build a list, build a rapport with your list with value based content, and then sell them whatever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EnterIn
    Reviews definitely make sense. Especially if you have bought the product and used it yourself.

    If that's the case, your opinion is very important. In fact, it is more than a mere opinion. It is insight from a perspective that others don't have because they haven't "peeked inside" like you have.

    If you were about to buy a car you had never driven on eBay, wouldn't it be helpful if someone who had driven the car before, an independent third party, told you exactly what they experienced when driving the car?

    That' your role as an affiliate product reviewer.

    Reviewing in essence is simply pre selling. Pre selling is specific actions you can take before actually selling to make sure that when people get to the sales page, they are much more likely to buy.

    Studies show that it can increase conversion rates by up to 10 times or more. Of course this is bare bones information. Things like your reputation with your audience really matter. Having an audience (email subscribers) in the first place is crucial.

    Do your own testing and determine what works best for each product you promote.

    Bruce
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author homebizspot
    Reviews can be a very effective way to promote any product you are selling when you have stamped your feet on the industry. When you have a company of people that trust you and believe everything you say, they will buy any product you recommend to them without a second thought. One of the ways to build these great audience with your reviews is by focusing on building trust with your audience, thereby providing them something of value. Write honest reviews about products you have tried yourself. Do not just write reviews because you want to sell something to your audience. If your audience senses at anytime that your intention in your review is only to sell them something, you will lose their trust. This is not good. An ad should be an ad and should direct people to your products page and not the review page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681680].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author neximuss
    Originally Posted by Max Greenflame View Post


    Affiliate reviews are important only when your vendor doesn't provide it for his product. There are sales pages with just a brief description and an order button.

    Am I wrong? Thanks.
    Don't be exclusive. It is good to write a review for some product which hasn't got a good product description on other sites, but that may also mean that this product isn't popular at all.

    In other hand, reviewing something which has already many reviews can be good too. It depends on the readers of your blog and of what kind of traffic comes to your blog. You should focus on that, what your readers want to read and buy ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681995].message }}

Trending Topics