At what stage is the online fitness market?..mature, growing, static, in decline?

13 replies
What I am asking about is online retail of fitness "programs" i.e. weight loss, muscle building or general fitness programs in the form of PDFs, videos, membership sites etc.

What stage is this currently at, is it growing, in decline, steady etc.

If my question is too broad (mentioning weight loss, muscle building and general fitness programs) please feel free to give your 2 cents on the stage of the area you do know from experience or just an opinion.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback or opinions
#decline #fitness #growing #market #marketmature #online #stage #static
  • Profile picture of the author GuruGuna
    Always a good time.

    If you plan right, you can catch a lot of those that wants to set News Years Resolution very soon!!!

    Most money is made for fitness programs during the first few weeks of a fresh year!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
    I think fitness will always be a hot topic. And like GuruGuna said, now is a good time to catch all the New Years resolutions people will be making soon.

    I'd definitely narrow it down though to something like weight loss or muscle building. I'm interested in fitness because of the cardio benefits (heart disease runs in my family), so that'd be another niche market.

    Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    I'm in a fitness niche and I'm doing pretty well. I like it because I'm into going to the gym. It's an evergreen niche for sure - always new people getting into fitness and people into fitness maintain an interest in new content constantly.

    It's really quite huge given the number of large publication print magazines that are in it as well ... probably more than any other market. That tells you something.

    Yet, despite its popularity, many people are not healthy so there's even more room for growth. I think the huge number of bloggers and website owners and magazine publications makes it exciting with new information and research being published all the time.
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8680698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MartinPlatt
    Originally Posted by Domain 1 View Post

    What I am asking about is online retail of fitness "programs" i.e. weight loss, muscle building or general fitness programs in the form of PDFs, videos, membership sites etc.

    What stage is this currently at, is it growing, in decline, steady etc.

    If my question is too broad (mentioning weight loss, muscle building and general fitness programs) please feel free to give your 2 cents on the stage of the area you do know from experience or just an opinion.

    Thanks, appreciate any feedback or opinions
    Its evergreen. Unless something comes along that can instantly make everyone fit, healthy and of an ideal weight, you're pretty safe.
    You have to try to make yourself stand out as being different to make it, as it's a massive market.
    Signature

    Martin Platt

    martin-platt.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DianaHeuser
    According to Google Trends this is a consistent niche, with spikes in interest every January for the last 5 years.

    Lots of competition in the market of course.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brettb
    It's a good niche, but things are changing. People don't want 100 page PDF's telling them how to lose weight. They want apps linked to their trainers that tell them how far they've walked, and they want to benchmark their exercising against other people through the cloud.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8681910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JanePlaten
    Banned
    As long as new methods and products and types of exercise keep appearing, there will be a market for them. In my opinion, this is a growing market. You can always come up with something and keep people interested.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8682793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adelewilliams
    Banned
    Fitness never hits the red light, because obesity is a major health problem and more and more often the need for exercising is demanded.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8683721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bostjan33
    Banned
    Well, this is a little wrong question. I mean, use logic; everyone wants to either lose weight or gain a shitload of muscles. So, this is a no-brainer.
    But what you should be asking is: How crowded these markets really are? And the answer is - really, really crowded. Personally, I wouldn't go into these niches, it's just too difficult to get a good return on your efforts. But I guess, anything is possible with good IM strategy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8684670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author stuzilla
      Originally Posted by bostjan33 View Post

      Well, this is a little wrong question. I mean, use logic; everyone wants to either lose weight or gain a shitload of muscles. So, this is a no-brainer.
      But what you should be asking is: How crowded these markets really are? And the answer is - really, really crowded. Personally, I wouldn't go into these niches, it's just too difficult to get a good return on your efforts. But I guess, anything is possible with good IM strategy.
      Yet you are more than willing to be in the IM niche which is just as crowded, if not more?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8686065].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bostjan33
        Banned
        Originally Posted by stuzilla View Post

        Yet you are more than willing to be in the IM niche which is just as crowded, if not more?
        Yes, for one main reason; I can be original, e.g. have original and quality content and products to offer, not just talking about the same ol' BS over and over again. But I agree, crowded niches are the thing to avoid, if possible.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8686906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brenda221
    Speaking as someone who's actually been trying to find good material on how to lose weight, I'd say the market is very much alive and growing, but it's very difficult for people to determine what to try or whether a system is good enough or not. Many are naturally very cautious about spending a lot of money.

    So I guess what used to work doesn't necessarily attract people as it used to, but someone who manages to be VERY convincing as well as consistent in providing good (or at least acceptable) value with an ebook or mobile app or whatever, has the best chance of becoming successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8685935].message }}

Trending Topics