How I made $25 last month and you can too

30 replies
Ever noticed that sometimes headlines miss the mark? Who would get excited about learning how to make $25 in a month? That's a fictional headline of course but I've seen lots of marketers trying to get people excited about little amounts.

Going too far the other way is not good either. "How I made $25 million last month and you can too" is just not credible.
#$25 #made #month
  • Profile picture of the author CurtisN
    Hey, $25 is some people's phone bill for the month. And $25 is $25 more than many people are earning online right now, so while I do get your point, I think that everybody's gotta start somewhere!
    Signature
    Curtis Ng (blog) - Product Launch Manager
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818847].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author affilcrazy
        Originally Posted by alexa_s View Post

        It made me click on the thread and read it, out of curiosity, so you have a point!

        Yep same here. I was curious too! I think perhaps $25 may not excite too many people, but seeing a realistic amount is more likely to get people to read.

        Whenever i see a "I made $265,347 last month" all that goes through my mind is "and how much was your PPC bill?" and then i simply delete or ignore!

        Cheers
        Partha
        Signature
        "There is no fixed teaching. All I can provide is an appropriate medicine for a particular ailment" - Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do (on Zen)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818854].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alton Hargrave
          There are so many hyped-up reports for sale that when someone offers something that sounds realistic, it has the advantage.

          I was disappointed. I clicked on this thread because I thought it might disclose the secret to making 25 dollars a month.

          Oh well, back to the "hoo else wants to git rich kwik" schemes!
          Signature

          Sales Page Builder:Make Your Own Professional Sales Pages
          Software For Collectors, Business:Check it Out

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818866].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sozosau
            Originally Posted by Alton Hargrave View Post

            There are so many hyped-up reports for sale that when someone offers something that sounds realistic, it has the advantage.

            I was disappointed. I clicked on this thread because I thought it might disclose the secret to making 25 dollars a month.

            Oh well, back to the "hoo else wants to git rich kwik" schemes!
            I totally agree. If its more realistic, you will get the realists to click it.

            However I guess there are alot of dreamers so something more like "3 million dollars in 5 hours - Click here to know more" might work better...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ryan700
        Originally Posted by alexa_s View Post

        It made me click on the thread and read it, out of curiosity, so you have a point!
        I was kind of hoping the next line would say - and that's just one of my websites! I've got over a hundred more quietly making me $25 or more every month! But I got a little disappointed!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820012].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
          Oh no! If I made $25 a month, I'd have to pay more taxes.
          Signature
          Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unlimited1
    all comes down to people wanting the easy road - others that know it takes some work dont click on the make $ 300,000 a month
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818875].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jillian Slack
      So maybe my story of how I lost 2 lbs. in 6 months and you can, too, won't be a top seller.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818882].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tracy Yates
    People want the "dream", not the "reality". And the reality seems to be overly exaggerated lots of the time on too many sales pages to count.

    I think as marketers, we're conditioned in many ways to recognize those "over-the-top" claims for what they are at first glance. Others that have no previous knowledge of how the IM game is played, simply see the "dream" laid out before them and cannot help but feed into it.


    Tracy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818886].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      I thought you were going to tell how something flopped, and how you fixed it, or planned on doing so.

      [sigh] Time to get a refund on that last mind-reading course.

      Good point on the headline, though.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818895].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sozosau
      I agree with what your saying Tracy. I guess the best people to go after is the dreamers. They are more likely to also be impulse buyers too. As realists would stop and think about what they really need.

      SoZoS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818901].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dpepper
    Hey, I only made 11.98 last month, my eBay did a nose dive for the last few months. It was .71 yesterday hot dog!

    Can you tell me how you made that 25.00 bucks just kidding

    It was an intriguing headline I was going to cheer you on. You are right Curtis you have to start somewhere.
    Signature

    Dolores Pepper
    .................................................. ..............

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author halopm1
    I have to admit, it caught my attention too I have recently been running an add that says how I made $210 in a particular niche and it got a ton of response. I think it's because people feel its more realistic and everyone does have to start somewhere.

    Angel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818936].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CashTactics
      lol you have a good point! BUT I clicked this thread because of 2 things. 1. curiosity to see the method and 2. once I opened the thread I was thinking about automating it and sending it out to my outsourcers.

      These kind of methods are cheesy at best but can be bulked up to bring in a lot more. That's why they are appealing to me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818993].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author adamv
        I'm surprised at how many people are saying things like "you've got to start somewhere" or "It's more than some people make".

        While those statements may be true, why are people trying to find a method for making $25 per month?

        Here's a method that will make you well over $25 per month... Ready??? Collect soda cans and bottles and recycle them. You could probably make 4 or 5 times the $25 per month goal.

        I clicked on the thread because I thought it was going to be a joke and I agree with the OP, I'm not sure why anyone would be excited to learn a system to generate $25 per month.

        Don't get me wrong, making that first $25 is awesome but if the method you're learning only promises to make that much, who would waste their time with it? That barely pays one bill.

        Maybe it pays enough to buy the next ebook that promises another $25 method.
        Signature

        Get a professional voice over for your next audio or video project at an affordable price -- I will record 150 words of text for just $5.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AverageGuy
    actually, the first money I made was $5, and I had to pay $3 transaction fee, so it was $2, actually. I was excited and waked up my wife, It is not because of the amount of $2, it is because I see an opportunity. My wife laughed at me at that time. however, after some time, it approved that the opportunity I saw is real, .

    we all have to start from the day one. if it is $25 at day one, well, very cool,


    david
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[818991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    I looked in because I was anxious to try and read the mindset of a person who would be interested in making $25. per month. It's incredible to me that anyone would be interested in that, but then I guess if you had 1000 avenues that all generated $25.00 per month you would be doing pretty well.

    With that being said here's a contribution:

    1: Find a friend and tell them that you will build them a web page for free.
    2: Join a hosting affiliate program that pays $100 or more per referral (there is more than one hosting company that fits that criteria).
    3: Build them a page from a template.

    There you just made $100.

    I just did it today myself, because it is an idea I had been entertaining, and I decided today to take my first action on it... I simply spent a little time today to talk a friend...

    It's easy.

    They say "Seriously, you will build me a free webpage? Cool."

    Then you say "Uh...Well, you have to pay for the hosting but it's only XXX per mth..."

    Then they say "That's nothin. Can you put a picture of my girlfriend on it..."?

    Easy 100 bucks! Seriously.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Judy 0513
      :p
      Originally Posted by kadensnga View Post

      I looked in because I was anxious to try and read the mindset of a person who would be interested in making $25. per month. It's incredible to me that anyone would be interested in that, but then I guess if you had 1000 avenues that all generated $25.00 per month you would be doing pretty well.

      With that being said here's a contribution:

      1: Find a friend and tell them that you will build them a web page for free.
      2: Join a hosting affiliate program that pays $100 or more per referral (there is more than one hosting company that fits that criteria).
      3: Build them a page from a template.

      There you just made $100.

      I just did it today myself, because it is an idea I had been entertaining, and I decided today to take my first action on it... I simply spent a little time today to talk a friend...

      It's easy.

      They say "Seriously, you will build me a free webpage? Cool."

      Then you say "Uh...Well, you have to pay for the hosting but it's only XXX per mth..."

      Then they say "That's nothin. Can you put a picture of my girlfriend on it..."?

      Easy 100 bucks! Seriously.
      I looked in because I was anxious to try and read the mindset of a person who would be interested in making $25. per month.

      Me Too!!!!!!!!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820168].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeanSupplee
    It made many people view this post. What works is breaking people of the cycle they are used to. For example we are all to well aware of those headlines "Make $18,000 a month with no sponsoring" Anyone on here and pretty much the world knows this sites a crock and will not spend any time looking at it because so many sites show these huge numbers. Now throw in "Pay off your phone bill each month with 5 minutes of work each month" Well that is going to catch my attention I believe it would others to its breaking out of the rut every ones mind is set in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Davion Wong
    $25 may not be alot but if it is the first sale for a newbie who has never made a single sale, that means something!

    Guess for experienced folks, making $25 every month will then sound like a joke!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820287].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author adamv
      Originally Posted by Davion Wong View Post

      $25 may not be alot but if it is the first sale for a newbie who has never made a single sale, that means something!

      Guess for experienced folks, making $25 every month will then sound like a joke!
      Like I said above, making that first $25 is awesome, but who would want a system that only promises $25 per month?

      There are a lot of great methods that will produce a lot more so I'm just amazed at people who genuinely wanted the method to be revealed.
      Signature

      Get a professional voice over for your next audio or video project at an affordable price -- I will record 150 words of text for just $5.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petereff
    The $25 caught my eye because it's a small amount that everyone could do with learning how to make.

    But mainly because the enduring message on this forum is learn small, get the basics right...

    ...then rinse and repeat!!

    So $25 could easily become $250 or $2500 etc
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
    Wow.. I haven't been here in a few days and I'm really surprised this post got so much attention. I guess I was wrong. The $25 promise did get attention. It all comes back to testing doesn't it?
    Signature

    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[824256].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    Originally Posted by Scott Ames View Post

    Ever noticed that sometimes headlines miss the mark? Who would get excited about learning how to make $25 in a month? That's a fictional headline of course but I've seen lots of marketers trying to get people excited about little amounts.

    Going too far the other way is not good either. "How I made $25 million last month and you can too" is just not credible.
    I guess it comes down to using plain old honesty when advertising.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[824289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oscar D
    DAM!!

    I was really interested in your post. I would love to earn $25 online compared to my current daily $4 online!
    Signature
    -> FindNewDomains - Domain Finding Service WSO - BONUS: Free Domain Name Included!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[824390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blogbrain
    The easy way is to
    Create new blogs on topics of you interest.
    Add blogs to them each day.
    Have Adsense or affiliate adds.
    Be sure to add backlinks to your other sites.

    I get more like $50 on a good week!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[824434].message }}

Trending Topics