$20,000 refund(?) request

37 replies
I had a post not long ago about accidently buying things, and whether or not anyone had actually done it.

Then this turns up:

Mum surfs net, then 3-year-old buys $20,000 digger - National - NZ Herald News



cheers
Sam
#$20 #refund #request
  • ^ hmmm.... would you have to actually pay for it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samstephens
    Apparently the lady didn't have to - she called the auction site and explained, but could you imagine having to tell them your three year old did it?

    I'm going to have to put a screensaver lock on my computer when Maxy gets older

    cheers
    Sam
    Signature
    DLGuard v5 - The Warrior Edition
    Full integration with JVZoo, DigiResults, and WSO Pro for secure WSO's and WSO memberships.

    www.dlguard.com
    Serving the Warrior Forum since 2004
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819308].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Angela V. Edwards
      Originally Posted by samstephens View Post

      Apparently the lady didn't have to - she called the auction site and explained, but could you imagine having to tell them your three year old did it?

      I'm going to have to put a screensaver lock on my computer when Maxy gets older

      cheers
      Sam
      Don't wait too long. Toddlers probably know more about the computer than some of us do.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------------


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819890].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mmurtha
      Originally Posted by samstephens View Post

      Apparently the lady didn't have to - she called the auction site and explained, but could you imagine having to tell them your three year old did it?

      I'm going to have to put a screensaver lock on my computer when Maxy gets older

      cheers
      Sam

      Lol Sam!

      You might want to do that before you think he hits the right age!

      My nephews watched their dad working on his computer every day for the first couple of years, then started messing with it (pressing the wrong keys and stuff) by the age of 3. By the age of 4, they were showing me stuff.

      Sometimes we don't think these kids can do stuff like this when they are that young, but I swear they come out of momma with a computer in one hand, and an iPod in the other lol.



      Mary
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820088].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author samstephens
        Originally Posted by mmurtha View Post

        Lol Sam!

        You might want to do that before you think he hits the right age!

        My nephews watched their dad working on his computer every day for the first couple of years, then started messing with it (pressing the wrong keys and stuff) by the age of 3. By the age of 4, they were showing me stuff.

        Sometimes we don't think these kids can do stuff like this when they are that young, but I swear they come out of momma with a computer in one hand, and an iPod in the other lol.



        Mary

        You're SO right there, Mary!

        I was building a garden shed (well screwing it together, anyway) a couple of weeks ago, and Maxy was wandering past, watching me.

        He's still only 15 months old, but he walked up, squatted down next to me, picked up the screwdriver, picked up a screw, and tried to put the screw on the end of the screwdriver (the right way round).

        When I did some painting recently, he saw me do that, and now when he sees the paintbrush he picks it up, walks around the room and "paints" the walls for me.

        That was all cute, but just yesterday I found out he's been watching me work, and he launched a new website selling a download management system called MaxGuard, and he's been emailing my clients trying to get them to switch over to his system.

        Well let me tell you, he's started a war!
        Signature
        DLGuard v5 - The Warrior Edition
        Full integration with JVZoo, DigiResults, and WSO Pro for secure WSO's and WSO memberships.

        www.dlguard.com
        Serving the Warrior Forum since 2004
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[822360].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mmurtha
          Originally Posted by samstephens View Post

          You're SO right there, Mary!

          I was building a garden shed (well screwing it together, anyway) a couple of weeks ago, and Maxy was wandering past, watching me.

          He's still only 15 months old, but he walked up, squatted down next to me, picked up the screwdriver, picked up a screw, and tried to put the screw on the end of the screwdriver (the right way round).

          When I did some painting recently, he saw me do that, and now when he sees the paintbrush he picks it up, walks around the room and "paints" the walls for me.

          That was all cute, but just yesterday I found out he's been watching me work, and he launched a new website selling a download management system called MaxGuard, and he's been emailing my clients trying to get them to switch over to his system.

          Well let me tell you, he's started a war!

          ROTFLMBO Sam!

          Like father like son.

          I'll have to go check him out. I'm sure he's got you under his thumb by now aye?

          All I can say is, may the best man errr ... umm KID win!

          Btw, at 15 months, I bet he's into everything!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[822389].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author powerspike
        Originally Posted by mmurtha View Post

        Lol Sam!

        You might want to do that before you think he hits the right age!

        My nephews watched their dad working on his computer every day for the first couple of years, then started messing with it (pressing the wrong keys and stuff) by the age of 3. By the age of 4, they were showing me stuff.

        Sometimes we don't think these kids can do stuff like this when they are that young, but I swear they come out of momma with a computer in one hand, and an iPod in the other lol.



        Mary
        My Daughter is a little over two, she already knows that she has to use the black thing on the desk to view the fishy's on the screen. Both of us work from home alot from the computer, and she's watching all the time. I know we are going to be in trouble!

        But the Digger news article, it landed on the front page of one of our news papers lol
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[822388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kf
    Well I've heard that having kids can be expensive ....
    Signature
    Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything. ~ Alexander Hamilton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819325].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evita
      Originally Posted by kf View Post

      Well I've heard that having kids can be expensive ....
      Yup. That's why I have cats

      But sometimes their walking on the key board can set off all sorts of trouble.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820549].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scattermouse
        Originally Posted by Evita View Post

        Yup. That's why I have cats

        But sometimes their walking on the key board can set off all sorts of trouble.
        Just wait until they start going after the mouse
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unlimited1
    Ive had my son press the buy now button on an online auction... I was not impressed and neither was the seller - hence I got bad feedback and he got banned from the computer!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author annihilator
    I cracked up on "thanks you'll love this digger"

    What a shock for a mother
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819331].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author captivereef
    i remember when my son was 3, he used to watch me but stuff on ebay. The little shit bought some thomas the tank engine stuff one night. I had to pay for that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819366].message }}
  • Well, I don't let my younger children anywhere near my computers. The older ones have a computer but its not hooked up to the internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Johnny Slater
    This is exactly why I only let my kids use the computer to access the barbie site, or youtube for my teenager.

    They only use the computer when I'm sitting behind them watching everything they do and I never leave the room when they are sitting at my desk.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author activetrader
    Years ago I used to day trade stocks with my infant on my lap. I didn't realize the danger it can potentially cause LOL
    Signature

    Me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Keith
    Yikes! She must have once nice line of credit or other payment method that they approved here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819425].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author staccato
      Yeh i read about that in the news the other day...Crazy kid lol ( I mean poor kid what does he know..)

      S
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819434].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author edhan
      That's an expensive lesson to learn. Hmm... guess I better keep kids out of bound from computer. You will never know their itching fingers will start clicking on the mouse.

      Better safe than sorry.

      Thanks God she got her refund.
      Signature

      Be blessed with Thai Buddha Amulets & Tibetan dZi to accumulate wealth, health & good fortune
      Build your own community business
      Article Directory Source Code with blog & Classified Ads
      Understanding the cycle of Karma & Merits

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usualcliche
    LMAO!........now thats a bill any parent would hate to get....much less the embarrasment of explaining what happen to the auction site ......haha....mental note to install screen lock!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
    I'll bet that's not the first time something like that has happened, but the dollar value is pretty impressive!

    My two are 7 and 9, and they don't fill in any forms or sign up for anything without asking me if they can. So, I think my bank balance is safe!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    LOL, imagine how she felt when she saw the email for $20,000, I think I'd die!

    My kids thankfully have never done that. They do get computer time but they are pretty good at asking me if they are allowed to do anything on there.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[819894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harvey Segal
      Originally Posted by Sheryl Polomka View Post

      LOL, imagine how she felt when she saw the email for $20,000
      Well she knew how to dig herself out of a hole.

      Harvey



      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820042].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
        LOL, I can see some husbands using this excuse. "What? Another bill for viewing porn? I'll talk to little Johnny about that."
        Signature
        Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820052].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
          Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

          LOL, I can see some husbands using this excuse. "What? Another bill for viewing porn? I'll talk to little Johnny about that."
          lol, don't go giving them all ideas
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PrettyJenny
    Oh I read this news a while ago, yes having children is expensive, in many ways My under 15 little sister once bought an expensive dress online using our dad's credit card, think how much trouble she got at the end of the month..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard N Adams
    I ran a shop a few years ago with an old till that sometimes played up. On this occasion the scanner gun wouldn't work so instead I typed the barcode of the product (~$50) into the till and then went to the payment screen.

    I swiped the ladies credit card and as I went to enter the amount to charge her she, trying to be helpful, picked up the scanner to try it herself and basically scanned through the entire 13 digit barcode which the till then tried to process as the transaction value to charge her credit card!

    Not surprisingly it got refused - but imagine what the bank must have been thinking...?! :-)

    $5,019,093,000,250!!!!!!!

    All the best,
    Richard

    All the best,
    Richard
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unlimited1
    If it was westpac in New Zealand they may have just let that purchase go through - hey if they can deposit Millions into an account instead of 10k you never know what they might let you get away with :-)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[820358].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BillOliver
    Seriously, wasn't there a newspaper article about a kid of 2 a few years back that was a computer games addict?
    Signature
    Bill Oliver (B.Bus. Banking & Finance, Computing)
    Sales Writer/Marketing Coach, Resume: www.billoliver.net
    NICHES: Financial Sector, Sales & Services, Brick & Mortar SMEs.
    btw I'm an Australian living in Malaysia & a 1978 Fiat X1/9 owner.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[822387].message }}

Trending Topics