College Graduate in Internet Marketing...Now What?

by Evan H
52 replies
So I just graduated from college this semester with a degree in internet marketing. I can tell you that I have learned more on this forum and through my own research than I learned at 4 years of schooling (pretty sad). I earn a side income online as of right now and would like to take it up to a full-time income.

The "proper" thing to do would be to get a full-time job with benefits but that just doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Any advice, stories or opinions. I am thinking of working a job just so I have more money to invest in my internet business. Out of curiosity what would you guys do?
#college #graduate #internet #marketingnow
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    You have the right idea, get a job first so you can support yourself, and have funds for your internet ventures. I didn't know you could go to college for 4 years, and get an IM degree

    You can probably get better IM training in the war room for $30 :p
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765345].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      You have the right idea, get a job first so you can support yourself, and have funds for your internet ventures. I didn't know you could go to college for 4 years, and get an IM degree

      You can probably get better IM training in the war room for $30 :p
      I know I guess I am happy I just have that expensive piece of "paper" as a back up...But the knowledge on this forum really is priceless. I just hate the whole idea of going into a job, checking in with your boss, working with annoying co-workers...blah blah blah
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rmolina88
    What schools offer degrees in internet marketing?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by rmolina88 View Post

      What schools offer degrees in internet marketing?
      My school offered an option between traditional marketing and internet marketing which trust me only teaches barely the basics of 1% of this business. I didn't even know this option existed until I asked my advisor about it and he said yes we have a marketing major more specified towards the internet. I just had to take about 6 extra courses to get my degree on topics like e-commerce, interactive marketing, email and advertising etc. So I basically have a regular marketing degree.
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pitchfork Marketing
    Banned
    Hey, I graduated from Ohio State a few years back with a marketing major and Psych minor.

    I got a job with various ad agencies before being introduced to the consulting world -- I am now happily recession proof.

    That marketing knowledge that you're holding in your head is worth a lot of money to other entrepreneurs both on and offline.

    After I quit the ad agency business, I tried my hand with affiliate marketing.

    At that point I realized I needed cash to make that work. So I put aff marketing to the side and took on consulting full time.

    Dude, people will pay consultants (even those fresh out of college) upwards of $10k-$20k per month to help them bring in more customers.

    Keep in mind, the lady who is a boss at baking pies most likely doesn't have a clue about business and I can confidently assure you that she lacks effective marketing practices.

    Thats where you and I come in.

    And as I keep saying, theres a lot of money in that game.

    Once you see some growth, you can take your experience and knowledge online and consult/work with online entrepreneurs.

    Again, big money.

    Hopefully you have an idea of some of the things you could possibly do.

    Oh yeah, Here's a secret I discovered in a book yeeaars ago.

    If you want to get the attention of gate keepers or the business owner, either mail or drop off a large envelope with your proposal, testimonials, sample plans etc and include a bulky gift in there as well.

    Instead of throwing your proposal in the garbage with the rest of the lame proposals, the owner will be super inclined to open your envelope to see whats inside.

    It also helps if you place a message on the front stating that their is in fact a gift inside...

    Theres much more to it, such as making the gift connect to your selling points...but I think you have enough to at least get started -- If you choose to go that route..

    Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by antoniobrave View Post

      Hey, I graduated from Ohio State a few years back with a marketing major and Psych minor.

      I got a job with various ad agencies before being introduced to the consulting world -- I am now happily recession proof.

      That marketing knowledge that you're holding in your head is worth a lot of money to other entrepreneurs both on and offline.

      After I quit the ad agency business, I tried my hand with affiliate marketing.

      At that point I realized I needed cash to make that work. So I put aff marketing to the side and took on consulting full time.

      Dude, people will pay consultants (even those fresh out of college) upwards of $10k-$20k per month to help them bring in more customers.

      Keep in mind, the lady who is a boss at baking pies most likely doesn't have a clue about business and I can confidently assure you that she lacks effective marketing practices.

      Thats where you and I come in.

      And as I keep saying, theres a lot of money in that game.

      Once you see some growth, you can take your experience and knowledge online and consult/work with online entrepreneurs.

      Again, big money.

      Hopefully you have an idea of some of the things you could possibly do.

      Oh yeah, Here's a secret I discovered in a book yeeaars ago.

      If you want to get the attention of gate keepers or the business owner, either mail or drop off a large envelope with your proposal, testimonials, sample plans etc and include a bulky gift in there as well.

      Instead of throwing your proposal in the garbage with the rest of the lame proposals, the owner will be super inclined to open your envelope to see whats inside.

      It also helps if you place a message on the front stating that their is in fact a gift inside...

      Theres much more to it, such as making the gift connect to your selling points...but I think you have enough to at least get started -- If you choose to go that route..

      Good luck.
      Wow! That's some really good advice and insight man thanks. Having knowledge in the field of marketing can absolutely be profitable both online and offline like you said for the people who have NO idea how to market themselves and/or their business. Now that I have some time off of school, I can't wait to dive into different business opportunities. That was my main issue when I was in school TIME!
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    I have a fool proof method for you, here:
    Originally Posted by Evan H View Post

    Go From Newbie To $100 PER DAY With This FREE METHOD: Hurry Only 3 Copies Left [CLICK HERE]
    Joking aside, good move to get a degree first.
    Although it may not appeal to you, get a job just so that you don't have to worry about a roof over your head.
    Then you can start working on your "online business" without the stress of no income at all. Once you can earn enough online then think about quitting your day job...


    Originally Posted by Evan H View Post

    The "proper" thing to do would be to get a full-time job with benefits but that just doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Any advice, stories or opinions. I am thinking of working a job just so I have more money to invest in my internet business. Out of curiosity what would you guys do?
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765482].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by salegurus View Post

      I have a fool proof method for you, here:

      Joking aside, good move to get a degree first.
      Although it may not appeal to you, get a job just so that you don't have to worry about a roof over your head.
      Then you can start working on your "online business" without the stress of no income at all. Once you can earn enough online then think about quitting your day job...
      Yeah that is the route that sounds most promising...It is crazy how expensive college is when you can get such valuable information from the internet alone.
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765537].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
        Originally Posted by Evan H View Post

        Yeah that is the route that sounds most promising...It is crazy how expensive college is when you can get such valuable information from the internet alone.
        You DO realize that you're not paying for the information itself, right??? MIT, for instance, charges $50,000/year, yet places ALL of their curricula (undergraduate, graduate, homework, exams, lecture notes, etc.) online -- FOR FREE. Yes, for free.

        Now think about it. Why would they do that??? How can they charge $50,000/year, yet place all of their information online for free? Aren't they giving away their golden goose?

        Actually, no. Lack of information is not a problem. As most Warriors here will tell you, information overload is a problem.

        They're actually charging $50K for access to their professors, tutors, lab assistants, faculty, etc. MIT knows you can't complete the coursework without mentorship and personal, hands-on help.

        Everyone else here has given Evan great advice: get a day job for a stable income while working on building your own business. I won't repeat here what others have already said.

        Michelle
        Signature
        "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Evan,

    Get a job but work like NUTS on your IM business to cut down your learning curve.

    Do not fall into the complacent "I work full time so I will do 1 hour of IM daily" routine because that will add years to your learning curve.

    You are working with real experience which is a great thing.

    Pay the bills to remain sane and put much of your spare time into IM.

    If you have the stomach for risk, and going nuts, then go right into running your IM biz...but as a buy who hit rock bottom because I refused to get a JOB, I advise you not to do it.....although these days DID create an insane drive in me lol.....

    All the best!
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765533].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Hi Evan,

      Get a job but work like NUTS on your IM business to cut down your learning curve.

      Do not fall into the complacent "I work full time so I will do 1 hour of IM daily" routine because that will add years to your learning curve.

      You are working with real experience which is a great thing.

      Pay the bills to remain sane and put much of your spare time into IM.

      If you have the stomach for risk, and going nuts, then go right into running your IM biz...but as a buy who hit rock bottom because I refused to get a JOB, I advise you not to do it.....although these days DID create an insane drive in me lol.....

      All the best!
      I do have a stomach for risk but the security of a real job and having consistent income would be the best choice to continue to build a business over time. I am grateful that I got my feet wet in college and am am looking forward into putting more time into my work.
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author malcsimm
    Originally Posted by Evan H View Post

    The "proper" thing to do would be to get a full-time job with benefits but that just doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Any advice, stories or opinions. I am thinking of working a job just so I have more money to invest in my internet business. Out of curiosity what would you guys do?
    Evan

    I like the "consultant" idea from that other poster. You will have to think it through, but you could probably make as much from 10 hours consultancy a week as you will from a full-time job. Then decide where you go make your real money.

    One option would be - later - for you to provide high ticket coaching - it's where the buzz is at the moment, or one of them. And I'm not talking about one-to-one - I'm talking about group. One-to-one is very time-consuming and you've only got one pair hands.

    With a full-time job you haven't got much time left over to make all your mistakes on the way to getting IM to work. It will just slow you down.

    So why vote you have a good think about what you can consult in - what aspect of marketing your most comfortable with - and go for that.

    Maybe you could specialise in local and so it would be easy to contact people. Maybe local marketing in a particular niche.

    Good luck with whatever you do!

    Malc
    Signature

    You WILL banish # Procrastination, # Email bloat, # Wasting time, # Wasting money
    Getting Things Done PLUS Evernote turned my life around - read here how I do it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765731].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by malcsimm View Post

      Evan

      I like the "consultant" idea from that other poster. You will have to think it through, but you could probably make as much from 10 hours consultancy a week as you will from a full-time job. Then decide where you go make your real money.

      One option would be - later - for you to provide high ticket coaching - it's where the buzz is at the moment, or one of them. And I'm not talking about one-to-one - I'm talking about group. One-to-one is very time-consuming and you've only got one pair hands.

      With a full-time job you haven't got much time left over to make all your mistakes on the way to getting IM to work. It will just slow you down.

      So why vote you have a good think about what you can consult in - what aspect of marketing your most comfortable with - and go for that.

      Maybe you could specialise in local and so it would be easy to contact people. Maybe local marketing in a particular niche.

      Good luck with whatever you do!

      Malc
      This is great advice and something I have considered working towards once I gain more experience. There is a definite need especially locally for certain services that many businesses forget about. Appreciate all of the great advice and ideas!
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    @Evan,

    It will be better if you get a day job to pay your daily bills and then at the same time work hard on exploring internet marketing... if you are committed and hard working, I am sure you will get there, where you want...
    Good Luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8765770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samuel Adams
    A college degree is a mark of excellence, so no need to feel bad. The degree says to an employer that you have taken time to devote yourself to study and you are likely to get a job in a marketing related field. The future of SEO and internet marketing is wide open and you need to associate with a company that understands the potential your degree provides.
    Signature

    Would you like to learn how I make $2000/month from a super easy listbuilding system?

    Click here to get my listbuilding report for FREE!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766002].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post

      A college degree is a mark of excellence, so no need to feel bad. The degree says to an employer that you have taken time to devote yourself to study and you are likely to get a job in a marketing related field. The future of SEO and internet marketing is wide open and you need to associate with a company that understands the potential your degree provides.
      I like the way you put this, and do realize that having a degree is important compared to not having one...With college being such a large investment I did take my education seriously but I always knew the internet offered another opportunity...But I am looking forward to some of the doors this will open up for me...But IM is much more fun!
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    My university JUST started offering Internet Marketing classes but they are such introductory level classes it almost doesn't make sense to take them... you could learn all of that info for free rather than paying thousands for it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlundy1
    Originally Posted by Evan H View Post

    So I just graduated from college this semester with a degree in internet marketing. I can tell you that I have learned more on this forum and through my own research than I learned at 4 years of schooling (pretty sad). I earn a side income online as of right now and would like to take it up to a full-time income.

    The "proper" thing to do would be to get a full-time job with benefits but that just doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Any advice, stories or opinions. I am thinking of working a job just so I have more money to invest in my internet business. Out of curiosity what would you guys do?
    Chances are, whoever was teaching Internet Marketing at the School was earning their income from TEACHING, not marketing.

    No one can teach something they have never experienced.

    I would recommend you seek out some people who have DEFINITELY been where you are trying to Go.

    I was SUPER excited when I made my first $70 sale online!

    I hope you can find your way and start making money online too!
    Signature

    Don't Give UP! See how I made mt first $69.73 online :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766334].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
      Hi Evan,

      Your sig file is promoting a free video course on how to make $100 a day online. Have you taken that course?

      I am not one who would tell you to get a full time job just yet. Figure out how much you can get by on and either make that right away online or get a part time job to cover your basic living expenses.

      Do some serious research in this forum to find a long term business model that appeals to you. You will find more then enough ways to make money online and probably can even use your college degree with some of them.

      As Alex said in an earlier reply on this thread the "War Room" is worth $30 for access to some really great information that may help as well.

      Best of luck.
      Signature
      Jeff Schuman - Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, quality niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766384].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Evan,

        Welcome to the Warrior Forum. I hope you find your time here well spent.

        Don't look on your college education as a waste of time because you don't see your career hanging on what you learned. A degree is a sign of accomplishment, a badge of honor that you stuck with it and finished your work. Often, it will open doors to you that others can't enter.

        I think many of the greatest lessons I learned in life came from my college days. Developing discipline, learning how to do research, working as a team member, familiarizing yourself with culture and figuring out how to get balance in your life are all things you can take from your college experience.

        I would consider gravitating toward the things you like doing and are good at doing. Since 50% of the jobs available in 5 years haven't been discovered yet, I would say you have a blank canvas in front of you and you can paint it as you wish!

        I hope you discover or create the perfect career for YOU!

        Good luck,

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766428].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Evan H
          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          Evan,

          Welcome to the Warrior Forum. I hope you find your time here well spent.

          Don't look on your college education as a waste of time because you don't see your career hanging on what you learned. A degree is a sign of accomplishment, a badge of honor that you stuck with it and finished your work. Often, it will open doors to you that others can't enter.

          I think many of the greatest lessons I learned in life came from my college days. Developing discipline, learning how to do research, working as a team member, familiarizing yourself with culture and figuring out how to get balance in your life are all things you can take from your college experience.

          I would consider gravitating toward the things you like doing and are good at doing. Since 50% of the jobs available in 5 years haven't been discovered yet, I would say you have a blank canvas in front of you and you can paint it as you wish!

          I hope you discover or create the perfect career for YOU!

          Good luck,

          Steve

          Great advice here, I really don't look at my degree as a waste of time....but I do look at the money as such a major investment that I could've'e invested in my IM business...But you're right I have learned some great skills in school like presentation skills, team collaboration, time management which got me out of my comfort zone...After reading all of these wonderful posts I am looking forward to use what I learned in school and what I have learned on this forum and put it to use. The knowledge on this forum really is priceless!
          Signature
          Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TerryX
    wow, they do degrees for this now?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jessegilbert
    can I ask what college it was? sounds interesting but I am skeptical of colleges for this type of stuff as it seems only experience in the trenches is what counts.
    Signature
    ThermoNuclear Branding: The #1 Fastest Way To Improve Your Marketing: http://www.BrainstormPro.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John J M
    As mentioned in posts above, being a consultant is a good way to go, but a degree doesn't necessarily make you eligible for that. Most companies are going to be looking for track record and some kind of authority/legitimacy.

    One thing that can help is to build a small team, some will knowledge like yours and some with more experience/a track record. Having someone on the team who can actually sell your consulting services is also very important.

    As a side note - as I suggest to all college grads and even college students since I wish I would've gotten started sooner - I encourage you to look into Kindle marketing. The more books you have up over time, the more ongoing income you can make.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8766754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    I'm currently studying a masters degree in internet marketing and it's definitely something I recommend. Its good to always invest in our education. Having said that, have you looked into doing an internship? There are some really good ones related to internet marketing where you can learn a lot, meet great people and travel for cheap. Best of luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AffiliatingAlan
    Im not well versed in IM or college. But why would anyone go to college for Internet Marketing? Isn't all the resources and training grounds.....online?


    I'd go to college for Business (which again the education system teaches it most likely wrong), Health & Nutrition (for the degree), Psychology (for kicks).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Coby
      Originally Posted by AffiliatingAlan View Post

      Im not well versed in IM or college. But why would anyone go to college for Internet Marketing? Isn't all the resources and training grounds.....online?


      I'd go to college for Business (which again the education system teaches it most likely wrong), Health & Nutrition (for the degree), Psychology (for kicks).
      Pretty sure an Internet Marketing degree qualifies as a business degree.

      I went to college for Entrepreneurship and learned a lot. But when we got to the "internet marketing" section in one of my entrepreneur class all the questions got directed to me since the teacher knew I owned an online business, lol. Which I found funny because the "teacher" is actually an accomplished business man and investor (read "rich guy" that teaches for fun) but just didn't have any experience with online business.

      To the OP - you mentioned you are already making a side income from IM. If that is enough to sustain yourself for a few months then I would just stick it out with the IM and replicate what you are already doing...

      If not, you have two options... Get a "job" or get a "career"... If you truly want to be an IMer then just go grab a part time job flipping burgers or something. Then you can still have plenty of time to build your online business while still paying the rent.

      Good luck and congrats on the degree!

      Cheers,
      Coby
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlairDesigns
    I had no idea there are college who offer degrees in internet marketing.

    Don't ever look at learning as a waste of time, knowledge is power no matter where it comes from. If you don't want the typical 9-5 consider working for yourself as a freelance consultant, I'll confess I didn't read through all the posts above so I'm no sure if someone mentioned that but that is where I would start.

    I went to school for graphic design and now work designing websites for my own private following instead of for the "man". Spend a bit of time here, sharpen up your tools or learn something new (I learned great things about marketing, ranking and SEO here) and kill it with your own business!

    Good Luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TeamBringIt
    Taking an IM course/degree, in college..wow

    Marketing/IM is so dynamic and it changes all the time, those courses can never keep up with the change. I would, for sure check the qualifications of the teachers as well. This forum is a 1000 times better, than an outdated IM course/degree in college

    Keep learning and use that knowledge to earn the income you desire.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lightlysalted
    Most people start out with a part time job. I'd suggest this. That way you can still work towards your dreams of working for yourself but you'll have some solid income and seed money to get you started. I've also written a series of free articles with some suggested ways that you can develop a long term income hope it helps you can read it here All the best for the future I really hope things work out well for you Keep us posted o your progress
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8767697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    If you're going to get a job, might as well get a job in IM. 40 hours is 40 hours... amount of pay depends on what your job role is.

    I would start experimenting. Find a niche, build a site, get a product, and apply what you've learned in school and on this forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768002].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      If you're going to get a job, might as well get a job in IM. 40 hours is 40 hours... amount of pay depends on what your job role is.

      I would start experimenting. Find a niche, build a site, get a product, and apply what you've learned in school and on this forum.
      Simple and to the point but you're absolutely right...Luckily right now I am working part-time so I have money to invest in IM but the time will come where I need to make a big decision which will be working a full-time job...Thankfully I make pretty good money part-time for what I do since I make tips, and that has been very beneficial in terms of investing into my IM business
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    Evan,

    I hope your IM Degree included teaching you about positioning.

    Being a IM Consultant can be a great idea - if you position yourself in the marketplace to JUMP out.

    Same with coaching.

    Start building your personal brand.

    Who do YOU want to help the most?

    HOW can you help your avatar achieve his and/or her and/or their goals?

    Get your infrastructure in place - like a website, YouTube Vids, do some webinars, blog, Facebook fan page, etc.

    Of course...

    You could go in a totally different direction.

    Maybe you should start creating your own products, market them... and create a residual income for yourself...

    ...instead of EVER working for other people.

    These are spectacular times.

    Think about it.

    There are more problems than at any other time in human history.

    That means...

    There is the need for more REAL solutions than ever.

    Again, position yourself just right...

    And the money just happens.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768072].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author valmillercorl
    Hi Evan - As a single Mom of 2 children with no full-time job I would have to say..meh...as to getting the full-time job. Use the skills you've learned both from your college education and here online to start making money now.

    If you can stomach the risk - which you've said you can - just go for it! Take it one day at a time. Tackle what you have in the next 24 hours. My copywriting services are keeping me afloat right now as I build my IM business.

    So there ya go - the first person that is telling you not to worry about getting a full-time job. I know others may think this is reckless advice but I like to consider both sides of the coin. And yes I had a full-time job but had to let it go due to a chronically ill child that I had to be at home with. I've since tried getting a day-time job again to no avail - but realize it's a blessing in disguise. It's given me the opportunity and confidence to realize I can make this work!

    Good luck to you!
    Valarie
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768092].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by valmillercorl View Post

      Hi Evan - As a single Mom of 2 children with no full-time job I would have to say..meh...as to getting the full-time job. Use the skills you've learned both from your college education and here online to start making money now.

      If you can stomach the risk - which you've said you can - just go for it! Take it one day at a time. Tackle what you have in the next 24 hours. My copywriting services are keeping me afloat right now as I build my IM business.

      So there ya go - the first person that is telling you not to worry about getting a full-time job. I know others may think this is reckless advice but I like to consider both sides of the coin. And yes I had a full-time job but had to let it go due to a chronically ill child that I had to be at home with. I've since tried getting a day-time job again to no avail - but realize it's a blessing in disguise. It's given me the opportunity and confidence to realize I can make this work!

      Good luck to you!
      Valarie
      Thanks for your honesty and trust me I have thought about diving right in as well...But the more I think about it the more I believe that having some money coming in would only benefit me and my business...Glad to hear things have worked out for you...eventually I would love to work full-time from home!
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author automationhero
    I would look into getting a part-time job (or whatever it would take to pay the bills and have a little extra for your business)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    I have to agree with Randall.

    I'm not the type of person who can work more than 40 hours a week. I need diversity in my life. I need time to work out, take the dog for a run, cook, etc etc. And back when I was working a full time job, after work I'd go to the gym, would take my dog for a run, eat, and after all that shit was done it would be like 6-7pm and the LAST thing I'd ever do is go to work online (although I was beginning to spend time just reading about IM back then).

    I also switched between various jobs. Working at a supermarket, a petstore, doing landscaping, working at a club, and eventually I realized these things were holding me back more than they were helping me.

    What REALLY blows my mind these days is this. And I was talking to my brother about this just a couple of days ago. But I use to work my ass off. Doing petty bullshit work, working like a good little slave, and I'd get a paycheck for $300 every week. Not only was it impossible to survive off of, but it made me hate my life.

    The club paid a lot better, but I quickly realized I can't deal with drunks. Its such a fast paced environment and I was stressed out of my mind all the time. But the point is this. Just from my clickbank ventures alone, I make about $500 / week. And thats not even my main source of income which is local lead generation.

    But I was talking to my brother about this. I still can't get over how hard I use to work, and how little I use to get paid, compared to now, where I do NOT work hard at all, and get paid about 3xs as much.

    If I actually worked 40 hour weeks, I'd be clearing $10,000 / month easily by now. But I don't. The way I work is cyclical. Like I will work 40 hours a week, for 1-2 months straight, ranking sites for local marketing, ranking videos for clickbank, then I can sit back for 2-3 months and do nothing, and everything goes on autopilot at that point. Don't get me wrong I still have to oversee and maintain everything, but in the end its far less work for a lot more money.

    Its a crazy ass feeling. Because there are people out there who are conditioned to be slaves and work for "the man". They are struggling just to survive. And in a weird way, society has brainwashed them to think they are worthless. Like when I was a cashier for 2 years, the first 6 months weren't bad. It was a novel thing. And I'd go to work everyday and basically dream about getting a better job, and making more money. But after a couple years, I stopped dreaming. I'd cut those thoughts out of my brain immediately... otherwise I'd become bitter and angry. And I realized that I was slowly becoming brainwashed into thinking I was only worth $300 week. And I was also conditioned to believe, that I had to work my ass of just to make that much money.

    Now everytime I go shopping, I look at the people behind the registers, and part of me wants to cry for them.

    I'll will finish off by saying this. Recently I was reading a study from Harvard. And their goal was to find out, what was the 1 thing that separated successful people in life from nonsuccessful people. They wanted to determine what 1 variable made the largest difference.

    And you know what they found out?

    They found out that the biggest difference between successful people and nonsuccessful people, is that successful people don't put a limit on how much they believe they are worth.

    And you can see this pattern repeat itself on many forums. Like go to the "IM journey" section of blackhatworld. You'll see a lot of people starting goals or missions to make a certain amount of money. And everyone has a different goals. For some people, its $5 / day, for other people, its $10,000 / month. But the ones who always succeed, are the ones who really believe in themselves. They don't give up on their goal until they reach it.

    Like I just saw a girl go from nothing, to $12,000/month in less than 90 days. And I knew from the first day she started that she would reach her goal. Because there was no red flag, no second guessing, its not even like she "believed" she was worth that much, its like she KNEW IT.

    Then there are people like me. The most I was ever making was 6k-8k / month. But whats ironic is, once I reached that point, I stopped working so hard. I started finding ways to distract or sabotage myself. And I know laziness played a role, but another part of me was almost AFRAID to break 5 figures a month. Cause it was like "once I do that... where does this end? Where do I stop?" And I don't know why, but I just stopped at that amount.

    So part of me has to question now, "maybe I don't think I'm worth 5 figures a month". Maybe something about making that much money... scares me. Maybe it'll force me to second guess my own beliefs and self worth.

    I can tell you I always dreamed about making a steady 5 figures a month. But its almost like when you dream about something for so long, part of you wants to keep it a dream. Human psychology is really weird like that.

    -Red

    ps. You might be able to tell, but I didn't get my degree in IM. I got it in psychology.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768682].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

      I have to agree with Randall.

      I'm not the type of person who can work more than 40 hours a week. I need diversity in my life. I need time to work out, take the dog for a run, cook, etc etc. And back when I was working a full time job, after work I'd go to the gym, would take my dog for a run, eat, and after all that shit was done it would be like 6-7pm and the LAST thing I'd ever do is go to work online (although I was beginning to spend time just reading about IM back then).

      I also switched between various jobs. Working at a supermarket, a petstore, doing landscaping, working at a club, and eventually I realized these things were holding me back more than they were helping me.

      What REALLY blows my mind these days is this. And I was talking to my brother about this just a couple of days ago. But I use to work my ass off. Doing petty bullshit work, working like a good little slave, and I'd get a paycheck for $300 every week. Not only was it impossible to survive off of, but it made me hate my life.

      The club paid a lot better, but I quickly realized I can't deal with drunks. Its such a fast paced environment and I was stressed out of my mind all the time. But the point is this. Just from my clickbank ventures alone, I make about $500 / week. And thats not even my main source of income which is local lead generation.

      But I was talking to my brother about this. I still can't get over how hard I use to work, and how little I use to get paid, compared to now, where I do NOT work hard at all, and get paid about 3xs as much.

      If I actually worked 40 hour weeks, I'd be clearing $10,000 / month easily by now. But I don't. The way I work is cyclical. Like I will work 40 hours a week, for 1-2 months straight, ranking sites for local marketing, ranking videos for clickbank, then I can sit back for 2-3 months and do nothing, and everything goes on autopilot at that point. Don't get me wrong I still have to oversee and maintain everything, but in the end its far less work for a lot more money.

      Its a crazy ass feeling. Because there are people out there who are conditioned to be slaves and work for "the man". They are struggling just to survive. And in a weird way, society has brainwashed them to think they are worthless. Like when I was a cashier for 2 years, the first 6 months weren't bad. It was a novel thing. And I'd go to work everyday and basically dream about getting a better job, and making more money. But after a couple years, I stopped dreaming. I'd cut those thoughts out of my brain immediately... otherwise I'd become bitter and angry. And I realized that I was slowly becoming brainwashed into thinking I was only worth $300 week. And I was also conditioned to believe, that I had to work my ass of just to make that much money.

      Now everytime I go shopping, I look at the people behind the registers, and part of me wants to cry for them.

      I'll will finish off by saying this. Recently I was reading a study from Harvard. And their goal was to find out, what was the 1 thing that separated successful people in life from nonsuccessful people. They wanted to determine what 1 variable made the largest difference.

      And you know what they found out?

      They found out that the biggest difference between successful people and nonsuccessful people, is that successful people don't put a limit on how much they believe they are worth.

      And you can see this pattern repeat itself on many forums. Like go to the "IM journey" section of blackhatworld. You'll see a lot of people starting goals or missions to make a certain amount of money. And everyone has a different goals. For some people, its $5 / day, for other people, its $10,000 / month. But the ones who always succeed, are the ones who really believe in themselves. They don't give up on their goal until they reach it.

      Like I just saw a girl go from nothing, to $12,000/month in less than 90 days. And I knew from the first day she started that she would reach her goal. Because there was no red flag, no second guessing, its not even like she "believed" she was worth that much, its like she KNEW IT.

      Then there are people like me. The most I was ever making was 6k-8k / month. But whats ironic is, once I reached that point, I stopped working so hard. I started finding ways to distract or sabotage myself. And I know laziness played a role, but another part of me was almost AFRAID to break 5 figures a month. Cause it was like "once I do that... where does this end? Where do I stop?" And I don't know why, but I just stopped at that amount.

      So part of me has to question now, "maybe I don't think I'm worth 5 figures a month". Maybe something about making that much money... scares me. Maybe it'll force me to second guess my own beliefs and self worth.

      I can tell you I always dreamed about making a steady 5 figures a month. But its almost like when you dream about something for so long, part of you wants to keep it a dream. Human psychology is really weird like that.

      -Red

      ps. You might be able to tell, but I didn't get my degree in IM. I got it in psychology.
      Very inspiring post man and I can completely relate. I currently work a part-time job and work my tail off basically just to make $300 a week. I always think in my head, I know there is a way to make more money. My motivation for starting an IM business was disliking my part-time job so much and putting in my blood, sweat and tears for barely any return. But I use that motivation and put it into good use instead of drinking a bottle of whiskey, I spend my time researching and implementing IM strategies I learn. I am almost grateful that I dislike my job so much because it has given me a new life in terms of graduating college, doing IM part-time, and planning for the future. Your post really hit home for me, appreciate the insight. Cheers!
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8769987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slin
    You can get a degree in internet marketing? Sweet!

    I'm an Econ major, working on my actuary tests right now, I do IM to get by in college, it's a super way to make a good income without too much work, and I work on my own schedule.

    I'd say work a normal job and start saving up your money, like everyone else has pointed out. An easy way to get into online marketing is just saving up a few 1,000 and buying your own website, it's something you could consider, with your background in IM already it could probably give you a big boost.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8768888].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    Work a job for now and when your online business is making enough for you to live comfortably, then quit your job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8770778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by cyberzolo View Post

      Work a job for now and when your online business is making enough for you to live comfortably, then quit your job.
      Yup that's the idea from this thread so far
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8770976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamthegame12
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8804107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan H
      Originally Posted by iamthegame12 View Post

      I am 19...Currently researching on online business and internet marketing. It all comes down to this.. If you have a proven funnel and targeted traffic..you can work wonders!!
      Having a profitable "alive" sales funnel is really what it comes down to...I have been focusing on cash-flow lately and minimizing expenses as best as I can...I wish I started building my list years ago as that is where the money is
      Signature
      Powerful Blogging & SEO related content published weekly...Follow the journey here: EvanHoeflichMarketing.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8804988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben_Doyle
    I would try and get a job off the back of your degree. Get some sort of graduates job in a big company and learn how they market their business online.

    There's nothing like earning while you're learning.

    Then you can be applying in you own business what you're learning in someone else's.

    That's the ideal scenario in my opinion

    Ben
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8805079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Its amazing. 4, 5 years of college and people can't get jobs in this country. Only if they taught personal development and about supply and demand and getting paid based on our results to the marketplace. Yeah, having this Internet tool is so very powerful today in the digital, information age. Work smarter, not harder right. It's "proper" in our grandparents and parents age. In the industral age. As far as "benefits" with a little more easy personal development you can learn to get 4 times as good benefits yourself. We are in a new age today. Building ourselvs a money machine where we can live off of your interest of our investments to which ever level we want.
    Signature
    Targeted Viewers! All your traffic needs in one spot. Get seen today!
    Click Here Now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816690].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Slin
      Originally Posted by EPoltrack77 View Post

      Its amazing. 4, 5 years of college and people can't get jobs in this country. Only if they taught personal development and about supply and demand and getting paid based on our results to the marketplace. Yeah, having this Internet tool is so very powerful today in the digital, information age. Work smarter, not harder right. It's "proper" in our grandparents and parents age. In the industral age. As far as "benefits" with a little more easy personal development you can learn to get 4 times as good benefits yourself. We are in a new age today. Building ourselvs a money machine where we can live off of your interest of our investments to which ever level we want.
      I can honestly say that I've read this post a few times and still can't figure out what you're trying to say.

      Getting into a career after 4 or 5 years of college really isn't all that hard. Trust me, I'm a current college student, most of my roomates graduate next year and they all have jobs lined up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goindeep
    Put some bud in a pipe, inhale, pop top off beer, guzzle.

    Thats what i'd be doing if I finished 4 years of a waste of my life, lol. Nah JK. All good brah, do the IM thing while it lasts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RyanGueterbock
    Honestly, request those 4 years of your life back and start doing now what you should of done then. Create your own product.
    Signature
    MY EXACT BLUE PRINT TO EARN $12,950 A MONTH SELLING DIGITAL PRODUCTS.
    http://eproductmarketer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Millefiore
    How about taking up a job on IM? You get paid doing what you enjoy and also get to hone up your skills. After that you can go out on your own if you want to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8822164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John47
    Try promoting residual lifetime affiliate products. That's where the big money in affiliate marketing is. The reputable companies will teach a lot for free - it's in their interest to have successful affiliates making sales for them.

    The knowledge you gain doing this can be used for consulting work or creating your own product later.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8822222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bobson8788
    I did not know you can go to college for Internet Marketing. I mean with all this information out here about it, i just figured you learn and do it. But 4 years of just learning and not really doing, is not wise IN MY OPINIOIN. If i was you i would start building my list and creating my own products to market. Good luck
    Signature

    Learn all about starting an online business here: The Online Business Post
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8822628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    Once you get in a full time offline job it will become harder for you to quit it, you can do part time job online writing content, providing services. You can also start in affiliate marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8822800].message }}

Trending Topics