Is Internet Marketing a respectful profession?

60 replies
When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

How do you elaborate your profession?

I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
#internet #marketing #profession #respectful
  • Profile picture of the author samkadya
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Internet Marketer is a prestigious name especially if you tell him that you are able to make a living online and work from home.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782553].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ErinWalsh
      Originally Posted by isyanq4r View Post

      it's true. living online and work from home
      This seems about right, it is pretty funny really.

      Seriously though can a profession be respectable, respectful, or any other human trait? I doubt it. Only people can be respectable and respectful. What defines your character is the way you behave and how you treat others.

      If you want people to respect you then behave in a way that is deserving of respect. Some people will be critical and judgemental no matter what you do or how you treat them.

      "Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer." -Brene Brown.

      Cheers!
      Signature

      Boost Software teamed up with Neverblue. They helped produce this new affiliate video.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8783486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    Originally Posted by samkadya View Post

    Internet Marketer is a prestigious name
    Yeah, i would not go that far...

    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    You can only try...
    Like Attorneys, car salesman etc have a bad name so does internet marketing.
    Now, not all Attorneys/car salesman are bad but unfortunately everybody gets lumped together because of the minority that are unscrupulous and will do anything to make a buck.

    The fact that most of our business is conducted online makes it even worse because these people can hide behind the anonymity that comes with the internet...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JosephC
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
      I tell people I have an Internet marketing business that lets me take the 30 second commute to work every morning. Most of them are envious.

      Very few people have a clue how Internet marketing works and I do not think it has reached the negative level multi level marketing or (MLM) reached several years ago.

      In fact I doubt it ever will thanks to great companies like Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, and so on. These and new companies we have not heard of yet will always help those of us who do Internet marketing be respected as long as we do it in an honorable way.
      Signature
      Jeff Schuman - Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, quality niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slate Marketing
    I don't see "internet marketing" as a profession at all because it's not. Marketing, whether online or off, is a way to sell something, whether it's a product, service, or someone else's product or service.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people??
    I don't tell them I'm an IMer. I tell them I'm an entrepreneur. If they want to know more than that, I'll tell them.

    How do you elaborate your profession?
    It depends on the context and what questions they are asking. I'm a business owner that runs several enteprises, if they want to know what some of them are, I'll tell them, but I never give them everything.

    need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Let them think that, it really doesn't matter what other people think. But if you're looking for some advice don't tell people you are an "Internet Marketer". If you're a serious business person tell them in a different way.

    Sometimes I tell people I own my own digital publishing company and I use the Internet as one of my distribution channels.

    The best way to give people a positive impression of you is all in your attitude, how you handle yourself, how you behave, etc.

    There are a lot of unprofessional loud mouths in this industry and guess what? You don't have to be one of them. Conduct yourself in an ethical, professional manner and run your business the same way, then people's attitudes will begin to change.

    And if they don't, it's no big deal.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782824].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Telling someone who doesn't know usually results in a vacant expression. :confused:

    Elaborate by telling them you 'sell stuff online'.

    Internet marketers think internet marketers are spammers,

    Call yourself an... online international retail executive
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    I tell people I build websites for small businesses. It save me the time of having to explain what IM is, or why it gets a bad rep.
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782898].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
      Dang-it Alex, you beat me to it. :rolleyes:

      "I build websites" almost always gets an inquisitive smile and friendly conversation ensue.

      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      I tell people I build websites for small businesses. It save me the time of having to explain what IM is, or why it gets a bad rep.

      If you do not build websites, I would use the term "online business." It sounds more palatable, I think.

      Joe Mobley
      Signature

      .

      Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shannon Herod
    Yes it is. And before long people will need a college degree to do what we are doing for a business.

    The internet is the key driver in the world economy. Business need to learn who to use it to build their brands, reach and customer base.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    I usually tell people I am a marketing consultant, that is rather easier for them to understand lol.

    Most people really like my flexible schedule and the fact that I am lucky to work from home.

    I have seen a lot of interest from my friends and acquaintances about IM so I think they really like the sound of it, atleast in theory
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    I tell them until they start payingmy bills it's really none
    of their business. Why do you feel the need to justfy how
    you choose to earn a living to anyone else?
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8782956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Christopher Fox
      Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

      I tell them until they start payingmy bills it's really none
      of their business. Why do you feel the need to justfy how
      you choose to earn a living to anyone else?
      Umm ... yea. Not buying that one. Not only that, but that is the worst advice I see in this thread. The OP should ignore it, and justifiably so.

      I am a 41 year old social recluse. I cannot remember all of the times I have been asked that question in the course of a conversation, from new acquaintances, family, etc.

      That's just part of life, living in a society and conversing with other human beings for all of us. You too.

      You are really trying to have us believe you respond this way in those same conversations you, too, must have in the course of your life? You an ex-MLMer with a complex or something?

      Why not be helpful to the OP, instead of suggesting s/he engage in general conversational d-baggery? 'Cause responses like that in general conversation only make people think negative things of you.

      Horrible advice.

      Start with, "I make my money online." From there, go wherever you want. If you are selling a $27 dollar e-book telling people they can grow their wee-wee, well, if that is too embarrassing, tell them you ghostwrite, and cannot disclose your works, if pushed. Give basic "Self-Help" niche, or something like that.

      As far as the non-embarrassing info products, if you are actually making money off of the stuff, shrug it off if people laugh or raise an eyebrow. I am not a salesman. I consider it a skill/semi-innate talent that I just don't have, so I do not speak for them. But, I am sure many top notch sales folks will tell you that you just gotta have some thick skin.

      I would suggest that affliate/info product/coaching/email marketers (the traditional a strict sense IM) need to have an element of thick skin and shrug off the naysayers and disapprovers.

      As far as respectful, as your thread title asks, well, that is one helluva subjective word, no matter what area of life you apply it. Don't steal, cheat or lie to your customers. That is about 90% of doing respectful business, IMO.

      Thick skin and who cares, providing you are doing your best to provide that 'quality' stuff people talk about here. If you are in porn, etc., and just don't want to reveal that info (for understandable reasons), well, society tends to morally and ethically accept the innocent white lie. Nobody is hurt if you just tell people you ghostwrite in the 'Self-Help' niche, omitting the 'To Get Off' part ...
      Signature
      One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.

      - Seldom Seen Smith
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784836].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Adam Short
        My experience with some people who find out I am an internet marketer...

        1. They want to learn how they can become one too and are ready to jump in
        2. They have a preconceived idea that they can get to the place I have financially by doing nothing.
        3. They say they are happier in their "stable" jobs and nod their head politely. They are respectful, however, but agree it is not for them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
      Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

      I tell them until they start payingmy bills it's really none
      of their business. Why do you feel the need to justfy how
      you choose to earn a living to anyone else?
      ^^^^ This.

      However, it's a misnomer to say you have an "Internet business." It's akin to saying "I own a newspaper business" when your primary advertising method is via newspapers. :rolleyes:

      If you sell gardening ebooks, you're in the gardening business. If you sell fitness equipment online, you're in the fitness business. If you sell copywriting services online, you're a copywriter. Etc.

      Period.

      Internet marketing is just the METHOD. It's direct marketing, an updated version of old-fashioned mail order.

      Understand what business you're in.

      And as TSnyder says, who cares what anyone else thinks? Most people not trying to make money online don't know the first thing about it. So why does their opinion matter???

      Personally, I'd never volunteer any information about what I was doing unless asked. And even then, whether I answered would depend on who was asking. Not everyone needs to know.

      Hope this helps!

      Michelle
      Signature
      "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TeamBringIt
    Just tell them, that you are a marketing/business consultant. That, seems to work well for me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8783511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Trujillo
    Internet marketing, is a skill that is just as valuable as a doctor or lawyer or any other profession. A true internet marketer, posses skills that most others do not have, a true internet marketer knows how to convert prospects into sales. When you have a skills not everybody has, you are positioned as an expert, people need you. I know SEO consultants that are heavy in demand because they have specialized knowledge and skills that people need, and when you have that, why would you care what anybody thinks about what you do?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8783557].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hostdare
    Internet marketing is respectable job because you can do this work at home without investing anything.....housewife also doing this work.....
    Signature
    Hostdare Unlimited cPanel SSD hosting | Managed cPanel Dedicated Servers | Dedicated server starting @17 usd/mo
    █ Cpanel/WHM | Not Oversold | Reseller / Managed dedicated Plans Available
    www.hostdare.com Email : sales@hostdare.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8783567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post


    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Why not tell people you send real and unique traffic - genuine visitors - to web sites and you deliver those visitors within 24 hours?
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8783593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    Ya "Internet Marketing" is not really a profession...

    The internet is a medium in which you can achieve greater marketing efficiency, but being an internet marketer just means you are part of the community...

    Depending on what you do, you can say you're an author, you're in sales, marketing, or consulting... There are obviously more options but pick whichever is appropriate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8783637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jrivera680
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Spammers are people who consistenly hit you with product or info that you simply not interested in. I.M is awesome the ability to make a living and setup systems on autopilot is amazing. who cares if the people around you don't believe this profession is respectful. Work hard, master the techniques to market, bring traffic,sell, then automate then rake in your profits. They may not respect the profession, but they will respect the money it will bring in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784514].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blackli0n
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    I like to just tell people, "I don't have a job, I make money doing nothing." So much more fun that way. Not so much because the answer is great but because now they want to know all about you and will listen to everything else you say.

    Another one I like to say is, "I'm funemployed."
    Signature
    wpjohnny.com - Make Money with Wordpress
    Passive income since 2007. Trying to consistently crack 5-figures/month. find what you love - dream big - work hard
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarah23
    Yes it is respected profession like any other profession.
    Signature
    "Gathering correct information and taking actions will boom your business.
    Never be afraid of failures and success will follow you"

    By My Unsung Guru and Mentor
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnTheJock
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Tell them you've retired (unless you want to sell them something)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8784982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FXdarling
    When I tell that I do internet marketing, many people asking me for more details as they don't really know what it means. Once you can use your skills for making extra income online using minimum time, it makes others respect you simply because they cannot do it or don't know how to do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8785572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Braybrooke
    No! But who needs respect?
    Signature
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." - Mark Russell
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8785577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kennethchooks
    Banned
    I dont tell people I am an internet marketer. I just same I am into online publishing. Makes it easy for me as they probably think I help people to publish books online.

    Also I dont really care if it is a respectable profession or not as long as it pays my bills and I am doing something that is 100% ethical and legal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8785697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deborahright
    Internet marketing is quite an impressive profession I have ever found. I always get huge response when I tell people about my job. And I have found huge respect for this profession. Although in few years back, internet was not so popular and also the technology was not yet developed. But nowadays the scenario has been changed completely.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8785727].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fmolina2010
      Better yet you can tell them you are an owner of an online business. Sounds more business-like *no pun intended* than the word internet marketer.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8785775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dengkane
    In my opinion, Internet is a media for marketing, so you are a marketer if you are doing Internet marketing.

    There are some people don't respect marketers, no matter you are Internet marketers or traditional marketers, but I respect marketers because every business must sell products/services to survive and develop, so all depend on marketing.

    Other departments of one business won't exist if marketing departments can't do well. (This sentence is from one textbook for MBA)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8785946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi BB,

    You change the perception through your thoughts, feelings, actions, and overall karma.

    Every profession has scammers, or dishonest people, and good people.

    No job is immune from attract folks with good and bad intentions.

    You control your Universe.

    One note; even if you act with the purest intentions some will hate you for it, call you a scammer, etc. Be at peace with this.

    If nobody has a problem with you, beware. This means you are not meeting enough people and not pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone.

    All my growth is usually accompanied by resistance; running into skeptics, etc. No worries. This is part and parcel with creating tons of value and building strong relationships.

    Also, I suggest finding full clarity; why are you an internet marketer? The more clear you get with your reasoning and intent the less you will worry about your rep. It simply takes care of itself and you will know that any judgmental folks have the problem, not you, because you are doing all things from a high energy place.

    All the best!
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MouseandMice
    1) Telling people you are in "internet marketing" is probably the worst thing you can do. They will immediately assume you are a scammer or spammer or some other time of -er.

    2) If you are being moral and ethical and you are making a solid life for yourself, you shouldn't worry.

    3) You can always just say "I have my own online business" and leave it at that.
    Signature
    Forbes-Listed: "Ten Consultants Who Avoid the Bullsh*t"
    American Business Awards: Named one of their "Marketers of the Year"
    Plus: A Bunch of Other Awards and Media Placements
    Whatever.

    ***Click Here to Join My 86k+ Followers on Twitter***
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Marketing is a way to sell a product or service. Internet marketing is a way to sell that product or service on the Internet. It's not what you are. It's what you do. Presumably, you either sell those products/services for yourself or somebody else. Selling it for someone else means that you're a dropshipper or affiliate marketer. Selling it for yourself means that you're a business owner, whether online or offline.

    I would never say that I am an Internet Marketer, unless Sales and Marketing were my profession and I did it for others, which would make me a consultant, and that's what I would call myself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788280].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      I tell people I own an internet company.

      I don't feel I have to either explain or justify anything to anyone

      al
      Signature

      Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
      ~Jack Handey~

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brutecky
    I dont consider myself an internet marketer as I spend most of my time creating my own products (software) though I have to do 'marketing' by default. As for what I tell people I do for a living. I dont even try anymore, people never understand and it just leads to a long list of questions. I just tell people Im 'self employed'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bobby Asburn
    I like to introduce myself as a web entrepreneur or a self employer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788695].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by Bobby Asburn View Post

      I like to introduce myself as a web entrepreneur.
      I've witnessed less cheese in a dairy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Riggs
    Personally, I don't consider it a respectful profession. More like a self-absorbed title for people attempting to justify spending most of their time behind a computer at home. If I ever met someone that told me they were an Internet Marketer, I'd refrain from giving them ANY of my personal information and would never believe a word they said.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author brutecky
      Originally Posted by Riggs View Post

      Personally, I don't consider it a respectful profession. More like a self-absorbed title for people attempting to justify spending most of their time behind a computer at home. If I ever met someone that told me they were an Internet Marketer, I'd refrain from giving them ANY of my personal information and would never believe a word they said.
      Im going to have to respectfully disagree: based on the fact that I have paid these 'disrespectful people' over $7,000 last month to bring me scores of customers who have actually thanked me for the quality of my product. I dont see anything disrespectful in that, or self absorbed, etc.

      Honestly it sounds like your tried IM, failed, and are now angry.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788822].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Riggs
        Originally Posted by brutecky View Post

        Im going to have to respectfully disagree: based on the fact that I have paid these 'disrespectful people' over $7,000 last month to bring me scores of customers who have actually thanked me for the quality of my product. I dont see anything disrespectful in that, or self absorbed, etc.

        Honestly it sounds like your tried IM, failed, and are now angry.
        Imagine you paid over $7,000 last month to someone claiming to be a "respectful Internet Marketer". Imagine that person failed to deliver on your expectations. Would you be angry? With history comes expectation. I've had a poor history in my dealings with the majority of people involved in the IM industry. Thus my expectations of what the majority of Internet Marketers can achieve has influenced the respect I have for them.

        For now, I think my conclusions are drawn out rather reasonably.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author flyingdutch
    I haven't had the question yet, since I'm just starting out in IM. But I had for about 2 years a respectable business on Ebay. When people asked me what I do a living I would answer "I'm selling products on Ebay". Now that I'm intending to setup my own website , and make a living out of it, be it through affiliate links, kindle books or whatever, I would rephrase that answer with "I'm running an online business". I think that the perception of your site and your values, will finally express your real character. So as long as you're honest towards your customers you will be respected. And as in the real world, there are always crooks and scammers out there to take profit from others to make a quick buck. It's just maybe a bit easier online.... (I think)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ripster
    Internet Marketing is a respectable profession if you're a guru...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8788954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Donowhy
    I like the Tim Ferris approach... Just tell people you're a drug dealer. It's none of their business.
    If anything, it will lead to an interesting conversation somewhere down the line
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789054].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tenisvy
    I think everyone has different ideas about it. For my it is respect. But for some of my friends it is worst proffesion ever. so everyone has own opinion :]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Foster
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    Sounds like you care way to much what other people think.

    There will always be people who complain or talk badly about whatever you do. If you spend time worrying about them, you'll never get anything done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?
    That isn't and shouldn't be too much surprising to anyone, more than half world is on internet and know what online jobs are.
    It's great field, good and big opportunities for jobless personals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shuvoimtiaz
    Internet Marketing is definitely one of the most respectful professional. In my opinion, if anyone thinks that, you are spammer, let them think. You don't need to give them any explanation. Just wait. Scenario will be changed very shortly.
    Signature

    Mastermind @ Innoovate. We offer content marketing that works.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789249].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Amazon and Ebay have marketing departments with "Internet Marketers".

      I'm not sure they spam...

      I think what you might be referring to is a "Self employed, digital product Internet Marketer" or affiliate.

      Many "Internet Marketers" work a 9-5 day job in civvy street in offices.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zayne
    Originally Posted by butterballs8 View Post

    When you tell people you are an "Internet Marketer", what is the usual response from people?

    How do you elaborate your profession?

    I need some help in defining my job..... some people think internet marketers are spammers. How do I get rid of that negatie assumption?
    I had this exact same problem when I started making money online! People get suspicious when you just sit at coffee shops and pitch up in new cars every few months...

    I started by telling people I built online businesses, and then it just leads to way too many questions.

    Now I tell people some random story about me that completely shuts down the conversation. Nothing shuts down a conversation quicker than if you say you do something awkward!

    Zayne
    Signature

    "Being Successful is A State of Mind - Thinking Successful = Being Successful"

    www.newageonlinebusiness.com - Who Else Wants to Make $1000 a week online?

    www.dollarzayne.com/free-offer - 43 Businesses You can Own Today - FREE!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author svetod
    I find it hard to explain what I do for living to most of the people. They first think internet marketing is not a real profession, but when they see me jumping out of my car they start asking questions
    But again I tell them Internet Marketing/Advertising...
    Signature
    Want To Know How I Make Money Online? Read my story http://affiliate-lifestyle.com/
    Follow me on Instagram for Daily Inspiration & Free Tips: svetlintodd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zayne
      Originally Posted by svetod View Post

      I find it hard to explain what I do for living to most of the people. They first think internet marketing is not a real profession, but when they see me jumping out of my car they start asking questions
      But again I tell them Internet Marketing/Advertising...
      Its actually relatively simple what we do isnt it!

      I explained to a relatively successful offline businessman the other day, and he said "so basically you bring people to a site, get their details, and then sell them related products" and that was the long and short of it!

      Zayne
      Signature

      "Being Successful is A State of Mind - Thinking Successful = Being Successful"

      www.newageonlinebusiness.com - Who Else Wants to Make $1000 a week online?

      www.dollarzayne.com/free-offer - 43 Businesses You can Own Today - FREE!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789446].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author svetod
        Originally Posted by Zayne View Post

        Its actually relatively simple what we do isnt it!

        I explained to a relatively successful offline businessman the other day, and he said "so basically you bring people to a site, get their details, and then sell them related products" and that was the long and short of it!

        Zayne
        Yeah, but some people don't get it.
        Signature
        Want To Know How I Make Money Online? Read my story http://affiliate-lifestyle.com/
        Follow me on Instagram for Daily Inspiration & Free Tips: svetlintodd
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winagain
    Actually, most of my friends are not quite sure what I do, but are usually impressed that I can do a living online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    It doesn't matter what other people think about it. We are free and make money without slaving for someone else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clintg
    It is your job as a marketer, to connect the hoards of people that are coming to the internet every day to find how to make money online etc, to credible solutions.
    Signature
    Free Video Shows Your How You Can Eliminate ALL The Overwhelm & Frustration By Following a New Simple 21 Step System. Click here to check it out now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8789712].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anoopchawla
    I tell people I develop websites for small business and also handle their online marketing (which actually I do), that helps me get some referral clients and also saves the hassle of explaining the term "Internet marketer".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8804289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hessein
    Timothy Ferriss once said in his book The 4-Hour Workweek if someone you don't care about asked about your profession just say "I am a drug dealer" trust me he will never ask you again
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8804559].message }}

Trending Topics