Why I don't use Godaddy anymore...

42 replies
Sure they have a nice platform and sometimes you can pick up domains on the super cheap

*tip: always try and find a coupon code for any domain register.. it helps..

Maybe they do have a convenient and (opinion only) cleaner backend, stellar support.. their domain name is really easy to type, you have to love all those domain analytics....And those new commercials.. well they just kind of make me smile.

Sure there is a lot of things that are great about the GoDaddy platform.. but why is it as a marketer anyway, I sometimes feel more like a piece of cattle they are preparing for the harvest?

Maybe it's partly because they are excellent marketers themselves and (as I'm sure we can appreciate) through the constant bombardment of products and upsells I have absolutely -no- interest in, I am really getting a taste of my own medicine and it's a little more bitter and not so sweet.

But this post is not so much a rant as much as an opportunity and a suggestion to discover a domain registrers which are maybe a little more geared for the internet marketer --instead of the small business owner who may not be as privy to the many alternative web services available.

Maybe they will read this and try to include new features which include altered promotions or non-promotions for marketers.. Or maybe someone else will pick up on it and develop a registrar more geared and suited for marketers specifically.. there is always room for improvement.

On a number of occasions now I have received emails from domain marketers picking up domains I have let expire and sending me email trying to get me to buy them back from them.

As I know much of this information (on domain expiration and such) is readily available to the people who seek it out.

Why do I get the feeling that GoDaddy actually aids them additionally in this process?

Ultimately I have switched away from GoDaddy (to NameCheap) and I am working on phasing them out completely.. Mainly cause I don't trust them..

Thats ok though, I don't think it will hurt them much as they appear to be well on their way to becoming a billion dollar company.. and good for them also.. I genuinely applaud... That didn't happen because they were providing a low quality product or doing a bad job running their business.. and in many ways they should be an excellent example for everyone on how to become a leader in an industry and produce stellar branding.

One of the reasons I do like NameCheap though is because (and I don't mean to get political) they seem to be advocates for internet freedom at their core and not so much because its based on a profit mechanism.

Godaddy.. not so sure.

I like the idea of being able to do business with individuals and entities we are on the same page as... very much so..

This in no way meant to turn into a Godaddy bashfest of a bashfest of any kind.. Because GoDaddy 'is a great company.

But maybe there are some other registrars that you've had experience with and which you prefer over these and are maybe more geared for internet marketers specifically.

There have got to be some better alternatives for our likes.
#anymore #best domain registar #domain registrar #godaddy #namecheap
  • Profile picture of the author DavidLowes
    I now stay local with my registrar. We initially used Go Daddy also but found it easier to have everything in Melbourne for us to control!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790391].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LeadGenie
      Originally Posted by DavidLowes View Post

      I now stay local with my registrar. We initially used Go Daddy also but found it easier to have everything in Melbourne for us to control!
      Keeping it local is always a good thing, interestingly enough that was one of the initial reasons i went with godaddy is because they are local..

      But there are always alternatives.. at least it would be nice if it continued to be that way..

      All the more reason to support alternative registars
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790402].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mormo
        I heard if I go through the local internet provider they don't charge a "bad friend" fee where I have to pay extra to keep my personal info hidden.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790408].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LeadGenie
          Originally Posted by Mormo View Post

          I heard if I go through the local internet provider they don't charge a "bad friend" fee where I have to pay extra to keep my personal info hidden.
          Really.. that is very interesting, I would like to learn more about that.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mooble
    i find some of the prices that Godaddy offers after coupon codes are applied to be hard to pass up. I understand your wanting to change, however.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brettb
    I've been generally satisfied with GoDaddy. The only thing that was really terrible was Wordpress hosting on a Windows hosting plan.

    I'm impressed by the speed my complex custom written ASP.NET apps are executed at.
    Signature
    ÖŽ FindABlog: Find blogs to comment on, guest posting opportunities and more ÖŽ




    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
    Originally Posted by LeadGenie View Post

    excellent marketers themselves and (as I'm sure we can appreciate) through the constant bombardment of products and upsells I have absolutely -no- interest in, I am really getting a taste of my own medicine and it's a little more bitter and not so sweet.
    That's not "excellent" marketing. As you yourself said, it's a big turn-off.
    Most hosts do not do this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790665].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LeadGenie
      Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

      That's not "excellent" marketing. As you yourself said, it's a big turn-off.
      Most hosts do not do this.
      That's true, I suppose its "not" good marketing if you are trying to sell products someone doesn't want to buy and you are actually pushing that customer away in the process.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8798039].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TanM
        I'm generally satisfied with Godaddy for buying or registering domains. However, newer used their web hosting & don't even intend to. I'm also using Enom & Network Solutions for domain registration, but of course more expensive than Godaddy.

        Cheers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8798919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PalmTreeJack
    Godaddy has gotten incredibly bad in the past year or so. Just a non-stop bombardment of ads and prices that have gotten way too high. I will definitely be using another registrar more often in 2014!
    Signature

    Want a beautiful, custom-made, perfectly optimized niche site? High-quality "linkbait" content for your current site? Send me a PM!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jtraits
    godaddy is starting to have a bad server respond time. websites load slower, images are loaded slower and so on. i guess it's due to the increase number of their users
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8790828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Meharis
    GoDaddy is like anything else in life.
    You have to take/use the best part from it and ignore the rest.
    Online work is part of life

    Meharis
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8791375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author khairul asrol
    godaddy still the best for me and hostgator is the best web hosting provider. cheap and realiable. as a web designer, i tend to use godaddy because it is easier to transfer domain to the new owner.
    Signature
    Still Struggling To Make Money Online? Download This eBooks for FREE - http://articlemarketingtechniques.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8791828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradVert2013
    I buy most of my domains on GoDaddy, usually because I can find a coupon code and get it dirt cheap. But for hosting I go elsewhere, like Hostgator.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8791879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author micksss
    As a domain registrar GD isn't bad. I use them for some domains but the majority I've transferred over to Namecheap which I prefer.
    Signature
    Web Hosting Reviews ► www.CastironHosting.com ◄ Read or Submit Feedback on Web Hosts.
    Web Hosting Coupons, Deals & Promos!

    Need a Virtual Private Server? www.VPSPlan.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eb219
    I can add another reason to the list as to why I've phased my domains out of godaddy. I no longer perform domain searches at the godaddy website, and the reason being was I spent a lot of time researching some STELLAR domain names last year. Had them all in the shopping cart ... but I didn't pay right away. Come the NEXT day, I found them all bought up when I logged back in. Way too coincidental IMO. Found a few other people with similar stories posted online afterwards. Honestly borders on theft when you're snooping customer carts for viable unbought domains and taking them before the customer can.

    So now, I use both name and namecheap these days (and buy domains right away!)
    Signature

    "Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792250].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andrew Stevens
      I'm 100% Namecheap for domains and Hostgator for hosting. I used Godaddy for both years ago when I first got started but realized there were better alternatives.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792263].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author htothez
        Originally Posted by Andrew Stevens View Post

        I'm 100% Namecheap for domains and Hostgator for hosting. I used Godaddy for both years ago when I first got started but realized there were better alternatives.
        Agreed. I've also experienced HostGator and WP run quicker together.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8793386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Content Commando
      Originally Posted by eb219 View Post

      I can add another reason to the list as to why I've phased my domains out of godaddy. I no longer perform domain searches at the godaddy website, and the reason being was I spent a lot of time researching some STELLAR domain names last year. Had them all in the shopping cart ... but I didn't pay right away. Come the NEXT day, I found them all bought up when I logged back in. Way too coincidental IMO. Found a few other people with similar stories posted online afterwards. Honestly borders on theft when you're snooping customer carts for viable unbought domains and taking them before the customer can.

      So now, I use both name and namecheap these days (and buy domains right away!)
      This has actually happened to me numerous times. I had a few premium names that I researched that were suddenly snatched up within an hour later. I finally wised up and do my domain searches elsewhere.
      Signature
      One article received 10,519 social shares! Become a true authority within any niche INSTANTLY by investing in a proven content writer.

      Don't believe me? Click
      HERE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    Originally Posted by LeadGenie View Post

    Why do I get the feeling that GoDaddy actually aids them additionally in this process?
    GoDaddy has nothing to do with that. Emailing people asking them to buy a domain they let expire is a stupid business model and not worth GoDaddy's time to take part in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shane12
    I remember when Network Solutions had a monopoly. I'd be hard pressed to complain about a registrar again after dealing with that nonsense. I've been overall pleased with Godaddy since I started using them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheUser
    I only use Godaddy when they have their $1 domain specials. Other than that usually namecheap or 1 and 1.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    do any of these companies play shenanigans w/ front running domains that you are searching for to see if available? i.e. grab them as you search for them then help you "buy" them from an "owner"?
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyt
    Namecheap is more affordable than Godaddy but DNS propagation can be slow, at least in my experience.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8792997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    I'm a long time GD domain name customer and I still don't know what people mean when they talk about a constant bombardment of ads.

    The way it works for me is I choose the domain name and one box, typically, with additional offers is offered to me. I say no and then checkout.

    I do get coupons via email too.

    But I really, honestly don't see that as a bombardment in any sense of the word.

    A couple years ago there were 2-3 boxes that popped up but I haven't seen those in a long time.

    Maybe I'm on some sort of different plan or something when I buy domain names. I don't get the feeling of being harassed in the slightest or see upsell after upsell after upsell that others complain of.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8793019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palmer9999
    Originally Posted by LeadGenie View Post

    Sure they have a nice platform and sometimes you can pick up domains on the super cheap

    *tip: always try and find a coupon code for any domain register.. it helps..

    Maybe they do have a convenient and (opinion only) cleaner backend, stellar support.. their domain name is really easy to type, you have to love all those domain analytics....And those new commercials.. well they just kind of make me smile.

    Sure there is a lot of things that are great about the GoDaddy platform.. but why is it as a marketer anyway, I sometimes feel more like a piece of cattle they are preparing for the harvest?

    Maybe it's partly because they are excellent marketers themselves and (as I'm sure we can appreciate) through the constant bombardment of products and upsells I have absolutely -no- interest in, I am really getting a taste of my own medicine and it's a little more bitter and not so sweet.

    But this post is not so much a rant as much as an opportunity and a suggestion to discover a domain registrers which are maybe a little more geared for the internet marketer --instead of the small business owner who may not be as privy to the many alternative web services available.

    Maybe they will read this and try to include new features which include altered promotions or non-promotions for marketers.. Or maybe someone else will pick up on it and develop a registrar more geared and suited for marketers specifically.. there is always room for improvement.

    On a number of occasions now I have received emails from domain marketers picking up domains I have let expire and sending me email trying to get me to buy them back from them.

    As I know much of this information (on domain expiration and such) is readily available to the people who seek it out.

    Why do I get the feeling that GoDaddy actually aids them additionally in this process?

    Ultimately I have switched away from GoDaddy (to NameCheap) and I am working on phasing them out completely.. Mainly cause I don't trust them..

    Thats ok though, I don't think it will hurt them much as they appear to be well on their way to becoming a billion dollar company.. and good for them also.. I genuinely applaud... That didn't happen because they were providing a low quality product or doing a bad job running their business.. and in many ways they should be an excellent example for everyone on how to become a leader in an industry and produce stellar branding.

    One of the reasons I do like NameCheap though is because (and I don't mean to get political) they seem to be advocates for internet freedom at their core and not so much because its based on a profit mechanism.

    Godaddy.. not so sure.

    I like the idea of being able to do business with individuals and entities we are on the same page as... very much so..

    This in no way meant to turn into a Godaddy bashfest of a bashfest of any kind.. Because GoDaddy 'is a great company.

    But maybe there are some other registrars that you've had experience with and which you prefer over these and are maybe more geared for internet marketers specifically.

    There have got to be some better alternatives for our likes.
    I have used GoDaddy for the past 3 years and have no problem with them, although I can see you point. I have a bunch of domains and hosting and everything runs smoothly with them. So would't change.. why change from something that works.. sure if you have a bad experience I might reconsider.
    Signature
    Could Someone Be Watching You Right Now? Ever wonder who is looking at those camera feeds?
    Or looking for a cheap holiday? Surely you are :) Check out Last Minute Deals

    Are you Irish and living in Australia? :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8793348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dengkane
    I didn't figure out why you left GoDaddy after reading your long post, lol.

    If it provides good services, why bother moving to other providers?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8793967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author flyingdutch
    Placed a support ticket last saturday; Automatic reply : "we''ll answer in 3 hours". Followed up by an automated mail saying : "we will answer you in max 24 hours". Finally got an answer to my question today (Tuesday)... And I find their UI clumsy and not intuitive. I'm moving out....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WinsonYeung
    I use name.com for my domain and hostgator for hosting.

    I have heart horrible stories of GoDaddy and also I find their user interface horrible, it's so hard to find the things I want
    Signature
    [WSO of The Day] Discount How To Generate 172.56% Positive Return OR build your List for FREE!

    "Case Study: Discover You Can Make $1371.66 With A Simple Blog Post by Clicking Here"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author domainarama
    Since they're the lowest-priced sellers of .info I'm at their door just about every day. It's truly amazing how many well-linked .info domains people let expire. I buy at least 10 .infos per week. GD saves me a lot.

    Hot off the wire: I just bought two domains which were listed for sale at Godaddy auctions for $1k each (true, no exaggeration) by going to namecheap and buying them for normal price. Any suggestion for what I should do with the $1980 saved?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I visit their site to see the models. Other than that, i stick with Yahoo Web Hosting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daveclarkonline
    For me the best thing about Godaddy is the support. 24/7 phone support with local phone number in the UK.
    I have used other providers but always seem to find my way back to Godaddy.
    Signature

    > Dave Clark <

    Suffering From Information Overload?
    Try These 5 Top Tips!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SportsMarketer
    I like Godaddy and their customer service has always served me well. They also have excellent coupons and pricing.

    I don't like how long it takes to get through the sales process with their numerous upsells.

    Overall, I like Godaddy and Namecheap.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8794518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    I've registered easily several hundred domains with GoDaddy and I've used their hosting for over a decade. I've experienced very few problems and when I did, their support has always been top notch and very polite.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8798998].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author geekology
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      I've registered easily several hundred domains with GoDaddy and I've used their hosting for over a decade. I've experienced very few problems and when I did, their support has always been top notch and very polite.
      Same with me ... I have had good experience with them as regards to domain registration and support.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8799530].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cali16
      I've purchased domains from both GoDaddy and NameCheap, and never had any problems with either of them. That's not to say they're perfect; just my experience to date.
      Signature
      If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8799782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    I use godaddy, it's still very good for domains and hosting both, and still provides the best service and features at a very competitive prices as compared to others. Their support is always very good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8799576].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whland
    I prefer namecheap and dynadot.com

    I've been using dynadot for around 8 years and namecheap for a year plus now.

    Both without problems.

    Chad
    Signature
    WebMasterBabble.com Webmaster Forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8799660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmarseller
    I'm using both providers and I prefeer namecheap. The main point of Godaddy is that it has got better discounts and promotions.

    Find Namecheap coupons is always harder than find GoDaddy Discount codes.

    I use godaddy to sell sites 0.99 cts its a good deal hehehehehehe
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8799832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alamest
    I have always with Godaddy, cause Godaddy is the cheapest among all the domain registrar in the internet world. You can really save money with buying domains. As we are in the internet marketing world and doing business online Godaddy is always needed.

    I have never tried namecheap one day I have visited the site but got confused and saw expensive price that is why Godaddy is my main domain registrar to buy any domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8799972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Black 68
    I've used Godaddy for 7 years and they've always been great.
    Yes - when I buy a new domain they send me round the houses - do I want this or a little bit of that? But, hey ho, it's only a bit of up-selling -you can always say 'No'.
    As you say LeadGenie, it's good business and we'd be more surprised if they didn't do it.
    I'd add that when occasionally I've had domains auto-renew by accident they've been great about it - they just refund me and sort the job out. I'll be sticking with them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8800030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bertyounger
    Funny, early on I also used Network Solutions and once I starting using GoDaddy I never looked back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8800094].message }}

Trending Topics