How Much Will You Pay a Writer

28 replies
I read some of the threads in the Warrior for Hire section and I saw that the rates offered by content producers vary (widely, if I may say so). There's one who charges $2 per 500 words *not judging but that's suspiciously cheap* and there's another who charges close to $20 for an article.

I am an established writer with several Amazon books, but that route has not been doing so well for me these past few weeks, so I am looking at opening a sales thread here.

I'd appreciate any idea in terms of ballpark figure, etc. and what's the TAT expectations when you order. Should it really be 3 days per order, or do you pay a premium for faster services?

I'm thinking about charging $2 per 100 words. Any reaction to this rate?

I specialize on eBooks, descriptive articles, academic pieces and even product reviews.

Thanks in advance!
#pay #writer
  • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
    Put some samples in your sales thread, if you are good you should be able to easily get $2 per 100. I don't know if I would sell yourself that cheap. You are competing against a lot of really cheap providers so the only way you can stand out is quality.

    Have you considered writing for syndication? That might be a better way to monetize your skill, especially in the long run.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MTwrites
      You are correct about competing with cheap providers, I am wary about diving into the competition with further lowered rates. I am sure about the quality of my output, though, so yes, putting samples is a superb idea. Thank you.

      I have considered syndication, however, my needs are quite immediate, so I hope to be able to find a client or two who can help me jumpstart my "career" here in WF. My Amazon eBooks are in the erotica genre LOL so it's a little bit slow, although they are there for the running.

      My fear is that no one would be willing to pay me $20 per 500 word article... and although my work is topnotch, there are others here who probably write better than me who only charge $7.50 for an article.

      Originally Posted by RogueOne View Post

      Put some samples in your sales thread, if you are good you should be able to easily get $2 per 100. I don't know if I would sell yourself that cheap. You are competing against a lot of really cheap providers so the only way you can stand out is quality.

      Have you considered writing for syndication? That might be a better way to monetize your skill, especially in the long run.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lotsofsnow
    You will find anything from less than 1 penny per word up to 30 cents per word and even more.

    There is a market for cheap writers as there is a market for junk cars.

    There is also a market for excellent writers that can charge $0.50 or even more per word as there is a market for luxury cars.

    Offer what you have, show examples and price according to your quality.

    If you can deliver fast with excellent quality you can charge more and you will find customers that are happy to pay more.

    If you want to charge more you have to make sure that you leave out certain types of content. For example "SEO writing" or "SEO articles" is not going to fly with 20 cents a word but "magazine style articles, well researched": different story.
    Signature

    Call Center Fuel - High Volume Data
    Delivering the highest quality leads in virtually all consumer verticals.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815328].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MTwrites
      You made a very good point. Greatly appreciated!

      Ugh, SEO articles I believe are for providers who have teams, allowing them to produce tons of milled articles in a day. Not for me, I'm afraid.

      Magazine style content, yes, that's more my mug of beer.

      Originally Posted by hpgoodboy View Post

      You will find anything from less than 1 penny per word up to 30 cents per word and even more.

      There is a market for cheap writers as there is a market for junk cars.

      There is also a market for excellent writers that can charge $0.50 or even more per word as there is a market for luxury cars.

      Offer what you have, show examples and price according to your quality.

      If you can deliver fast with excellent quality you can charge more and you will find customers that are happy to pay more.

      If you want to charge more you have to make sure that you leave out certain types of content. For example "SEO writing" or "SEO articles" is not going to fly with 20 cents a word but "magazine style articles, well researched": different story.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815366].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by hpgoodboy View Post

      You will find anything from less than 1 penny per word up to 30 cents per word and even more.

      I have seen writers charge as little as 1/2c per word.

      Like the guy immediately above me said, sell the value, not the word count -- provided you are really a decent writer.

      When I did ghost writing, I charged a set price on an approximate word count that helped the client achieve certain goals.

      But, if you broke down what I did by price per word, I generally got 10-15c per word.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8831939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
    My fear is that no one would be willing to pay me $20 per 500 word article... and although my work is topnotch, there are others here who probably write better than me who only charge $7.50 for an article.
    Maybe you need to find another way to go, unless you are willing to work like a slave for long hours. If you are desperate you will probably get money faster offline.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tania Edwards
    It really depends on the quality of writing. There are writers who are really cheap and some of them are very expensive [the expensive ones are the one who provide the best quality writings]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chat2network
    You can find some good deals on Fiverr. Hope that helps.
    Signature

    Chat2network is a social networking site that allows users to chat, share and socialize. Create your free profile and advertise your business with Chat2network at no cost.

    www.Chat2network.net
    Thank you & God bless you!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MTwrites
      Originally Posted by Chat2network View Post

      You can find some good deals on Fiverr. Hope that helps.
      Thank you. Not a big fan of Fiverr, though... Come to think of it, in my 5 years of being a writer online, I have not had a Fiverr account ever...hmmm... lemme look at it.

      Appreciated!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8815596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elvis Michael
    MTWrites, you can always check out this post on my blog which lists some decent writing sites. While the first 2 links are paid services, the remainder comprises of good old freelance websites.

    Pay Per Article Websites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Lessard
    I would suggest a shift in thinking. I never ask myself what can I charge.

    I now think how much money do I want to make and what am I willing to do for that amount of money. I then work backwards from that and devise an offer that gets me what I want.

    Example. I used to provide web design, seo and various marketing services for hundreds of clients. I had employees, office space etc... and it made me x amount of money. I was happy with the money but NOT with the hours I had to put in, clients I dealt with and was not passionate about what I was doing.

    I sat down and decided I want to make the same money, want to work with a maximum 10 clients at once and want to work from anywhere in the world. I want the impact of my work to be huge and change businesses. I have been able to identify many niches that could support this and have been able to offer a level of service that makes them happy to write me the checks.

    In your case I would suggest focusing on writing only about subjects that interest you and at a rate that you decide is correct. Figure out how much you want to make and how much time you are willing to give then think out of the box a bit.

    Maybe instead of writing bulk articles in niches that make you want to mash your face into a wall you will find clients that need a smart dependable person that can write and handle their online content across multiple channels. Perhaps you will post the content to their blogs and then drop a link to it from their Facebook etc..

    So if you love to write erotico you may be in luck. Imagine some poor client out there trying to grow an online business that could gain traffic and exposure in the erotica or a related niche. Think it is easy for him to find a good writer? There may be clients that require not only articles but someone to interact with that crowd including Facebook and comments/responses on blogs etc... and those types of arrangements could be golden opportunities. They could plug you in to their business and you would no longer be charging as just an article writer but instead as their writer and online representative.

    Even better you have already decided you want to make money from creating your own products. The type of client I have suggested above is already where you want to be. . If you can get a gig with them as I have outlined above you will basically be getting paid to learn. :-)
    Signature
    Ready to generate the next million in sales? The Next Million Agency
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816610].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MTwrites
      What an excellent advice. Hugely appreciated.

      I am thinking about writing + interaction, which makes me more involved in the client's business. This kind of service will also allow me to connect with more people (and potential clients), while both learning and earning. Thank you!


      Originally Posted by plessard View Post

      I would suggest a shift in thinking. I never ask myself what can I charge.

      I now think how much money do I want to make and what am I willing to do for that amount of money. I then work backwards from that and devise an offer that gets me what I want.

      Example. I used to provide web design, seo and various marketing services for hundreds of clients. I had employees, office space etc... and it made me x amount of money. I was happy with the money but NOT with the hours I had to put in, clients I dealt with and was not passionate about what I was doing.

      I sat down and decided I want to make the same money, want to work with a maximum 10 clients at once and want to work from anywhere in the world. I want the impact of my work to be huge and change businesses. I have been able to identify many niches that could support this and have been able to offer a level of service that makes them happy to write me the checks.

      In your case I would suggest focusing on writing only about subjects that interest you and at a rate that you decide is correct. Figure out how much you want to make and how much time you are willing to give then think out of the box a bit.

      Maybe instead of writing bulk articles in niches that make you want to mash your face into a wall you will find clients that need a smart dependable person that can write and handle their online content across multiple channels. Perhaps you will post the content to their blogs and then drop a link to it from their Facebook etc..

      So if you love to write erotico you may be in luck. Imagine some poor client out there trying to grow an online business that could gain traffic and exposure in the erotica or a related niche. Think it is easy for him to find a good writer? There may be clients that require not only articles but someone to interact with that crowd including Facebook and comments/responses on blogs etc... and those types of arrangements could be golden opportunities. They could plug you in to their business and you would no longer be charging as just an article writer but instead as their writer and online representative.

      Even better you have already decided you want to make money from creating your own products. The type of client I have suggested above is already where you want to be. . If you can get a gig with them as I have outlined above you will basically be getting paid to learn. :-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8816680].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidhorph
    Originally Posted by MTwrites View Post

    I read some of the threads in the Warrior for Hire section and I saw that the rates offered by content producers vary (widely, if I may say so). There's one who charges $2 per 500 words *not judging but that's suspiciously cheap* and there's another who charges close to $20 for an article.

    I am an established writer with several Amazon books, but that route has not been doing so well for me these past few weeks, so I am looking at opening a sales thread here.

    I'd appreciate any idea in terms of ballpark figure, etc. and what's the TAT expectations when you order. Should it really be 3 days per order, or do you pay a premium for faster services?

    I'm thinking about charging $2 per 100 words. Any reaction to this rate?

    I specialize on eBooks, descriptive articles, academic pieces and even product reviews.

    Thanks in advance!
    Hi...

    I sent you an e-mail (or PM) in regards to your other post that I can't find anymore ($100 in a day). PM or e-mail me if you're still interested.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8817055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    $2 per 100 words is cool. You should consider starting a website that promotes your services. Of course be on all the freelance sites, but set yourself apart with case studies and testimonials that prove your worth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8817090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    "There is a market for cheap writers as there is a market for junk cars.There is a market for cheap writers as there is a market for junk cars."

    Well put. The trick is not being a junk writer.
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8818545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Content Commando
    You can charge what the market perceives that you are worth. If you write quality content, then you can charge more.
    Signature
    One article received 10,519 social shares! Become a true authority within any niche INSTANTLY by investing in a proven content writer.

    Don't believe me? Click
    HERE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8818702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mariantee
    Please note that the OP is using marianteewrites@gmail.com in an attempt to mislead other individuals that she's me and she's accepting writing assignments based on that assumption. To verify if she is indeed who she says she is, you can use the contact form on my website or visit my official Facebook page and see if MTWrites will answer you. Thanks!

    Edit:
    Please note that this person is also the one discussed in this thread --- http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=132245

    Prior to self-publishing full time, I used to write articles for her - she was using the name Domina McKenzie then. Some of you may recognize that name as she was pretty active in this forum as Domina. A lot of the writers weren't paid on time and left hanging. She also attempted to dispute her PayPal payment to me (a dispute I won) so just be warned - she can do the same thing to you or something even worse if you do business with her.

    I doubt I'd be coming back to visit this thread as it's just very disappointing and disheartening that someone who's also Filipino is behind this type of scam. If anyone needs to contact me about this for whatever reason, the contact form on my website is the best way to do it.

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8819528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
    Personally, I wouldn't write for peanuts if I were you. The kind of rates you're referring to here are the sort writers from India charge. And they basically can't string two words together. So you go figure.
    Signature

    FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8819715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JackSmitt
    Depends so much on the quality of the writer and use copyscape
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8819849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brady Partridge
    I've never understood why people buy bargain-basement content. Even if you're a lousy writer, your writing's not going to be any worse than that of the third-world wordsmith you hire, so why not do the honors yourself? Sure, you'll end up with crap, but it'll be free crap.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8820141].message }}
  • [the expensive ones are the one who provide the best quality writings]
    *

    Citation needed.
    Signature

    While you spend time reading people's signatures on a forum someone else is working to make the money you could have made.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8820236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aleksbogata
    It all depends on quality of the content. I would not charge that little for my writing either. I consider myself an expert in my niche and write well researched content. I want to see someone try and better that quality for $2 for 100 words...
    Signature
    Who's your favourite coach/mentor: Alex Jeffreys -v- Kenster -v- Stuart Ross?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8821822].message }}
  • I charge anywhere from $3.00 to $10.00 and have been doing this for 8 years. I may charge a low price, but that does not mean my writing is bad. I simply love to write articles and don't like making another person pay an expensive price for web content. You see, when a customer purchases an article (or an eBook), they don't know if they're going to make that money back, so I look at my affordable prices as a way of helping them. Plus, $3.00 per article really adds up if you're a good full-time writer like myself, because the customers continuously order.
    Signature
    AllAmericanWebContent has a team of all American writers with good grammar. They are the perfect team for those who are in need of articles, blogs, press releases, eBooks, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8831398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewritezone
    I personally charge $30 per article (and much more for Ebooks), because I've been in this business for a long time and I know what it takes to write high-converting articles, because, let's face it, that's all a client wants at the end of the day.

    But I am also a partner in a writing service that I run with a couple of US writers, and we charge as low as $6 for those article. I can afford to do that because I'm not writing the article myself. I do look over them once I get them back from my editors, but that's it.

    So, you need to make a decision here. If you're writing the articles, how much is your time worth? How long does it take for you to finish 500 words? 30 mins? 1 hour? 2 hours? Price accordingly. If you feel a particular topic will eat away your time in terms of research, charge more.

    Don't be afraid to charge more. There are a lot of clients at those prices too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8831744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesburchill
    Hmm, I wasn't sure whether to respond to this thread because of whether you'd believe me.

    Firstly I hire writers and regularly pay $10, $20 or $30 for well written articles. I have on occasion (for special projects) paid $50 for an article.

    Here's why ... I charge between $1 and $2 A WORD and I get it.

    Granted I've been writing for a while, but mostly because it's how I market and position myself in my sector.

    By the way ... I also pay writers to write social media updates like tweets and Facebook status. Curious to know how much I pay for those?

    $0.50 a tweet, $1 for a FB update

    As you can see, the range is wide but it's a function of how I package up the services and sell them.

    Remember ... no one really wants a writer, they want the words. No one really wants the words, they want what those words will do for them: more calls, more leads, more sales.

    Price to value, not to time.

    If what I deliver my clients makes them more than what they pay me ... what would they care?

    I realize some of you will doubt me, but feel free to Google me. I'm just a regular guy that works from home writing and creating stuff that helps people market their businesses (and subsequently make more money.)

    Signature
    James Burchill ~ Bestselling Author & Coursepreneur
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8831878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garmahis
    I'd be happy to pay $20+ per article but it should be very well researched article of exceptional quality.

    I'm actually having a hard time finding a high quality writer. Most writers think that they can write about any topic just out of their head.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8832035].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by garmahis View Post

      I'd be happy to pay $20+ per article but it should be very well researched article of exceptional quality.

      I'm actually having a hard time finding a high quality writer. Most writers think that they can write about any topic just out of their head.

      Most "writers" are not qualified to hang the "writer" shingle on their profile.

      Good writers are out there, but you have to shop long and hard to find the good ones, who can provide good samples to back up their assertion that they are worth the money they are asking.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8832130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimothyTorrents
    $2 for 100 words is what I charge for basic articles but it looks like you have more experience with writing books and what not so perhaps bump your rates up a little bit.

    But, I would use this opportunity to practice writing, and then focus on writing your very own eBook to rake in some extra cash.

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8832512].message }}

Trending Topics