Promoting a local bra fitting business (UK)

by Ben Bergmann 24 replies
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend's mum is a bra fitter and has her own business. They fit individuals or groups of women at so called bra-parties. You probably all know those things like tupperware parties, it's pretty much the same just with bras She fits them in a seperate room while the other women enjoy themselves.

Her business isn't as successful anymore as it used to be in the beginning, so her husband has given her 14 days now to get some new parties or she has to drop it.

I'd like to help them of course and thought about methods to promote their parties. I've already got a domain for it, but my biggest problem is how to promote it specifically to women in England.

I've already thought about driving traffic to the site via article marketing, but I don't know of any English article directories really, and most of the traffic from EA is probably American.

The second method I've thought about is promoting the business via local classified ads.

Unfortunately, PPC is out of question as they don't have the money for it.

It would be really great if anyone has any more ideas how I could promote the website and help them get a bra party

Cheers,
Ben
#main internet marketing discussion forum #bra #business #fitting #local #promoting
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Glenn Newsome
    Well, I could have so much fun with this post, but I think I will pass this time.:p However, I do have one suggestion for you.
    Interview your girlfriends mum and try to rediscover what is was that made her more successful in the beginning.
    I am assuming that she probably dropped something she was doing that was working.
    Because it worked in the past--I would start with that-- then add to it with suggestions from others here.
    Signature
    WSO Addicts Blog

    AKA "webnetincome" before the big name changes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75703].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Johns
      Hi there,

      Have you thought about promoting it via advertising / joint ventures with UK women's interest groups? What about searching for UK women's websites, or Google / Yahoo groups, etc?

      Alternatively, would any of the local lingerie stores want to "JV" with her for her to promote their products?

      You could also look at placing ads on women's interest sites and see if that will help too?

      All the best to you

      Jason
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75718].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
        Originally Posted by Jason Johns View Post

        Hi there,

        Alternatively, would any of the local lingerie stores want to "JV" with her for her to promote their products?

        Jason
        Spot on idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75722].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ben Bergmann
        Originally Posted by Jason Johns View Post

        Hi there,

        Have you thought about promoting it via advertising / joint ventures with UK women's interest groups? What about searching for UK women's websites, or Google / Yahoo groups, etc?

        Alternatively, would any of the local lingerie stores want to "JV" with her for her to promote their products?

        You could also look at placing ads on women's interest sites and see if that will help too?

        All the best to you

        Jason
        Hi Jason, thanks for the ideas. They are actually also selling the bras, it's not just the fitting. So, unfortunately, JVs with local lingerie stores wouldn't work.

        The ads on women's interest sites are a good idea.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75735].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DavidPreston
          Another venue with interest groups would be to
          look for cancer recovery groups.

          Anyone who has had a mesectomy would be a huge
          niche for custom fitting. ;-)

          My mother in law went through that a long time ago
          and had a terrible time trying to get one that really
          fit without paying huge money through a specialized
          store.

          That's a huge niche for you! Head to the groups and
          even the hospitals and cut some JV's.

          That should turn it around for you....

          David
          Signature
          Stop Buying "Theory Products!" Here's My Entire War Chest Of Proven Offline Moneymakers...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75760].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ricter
            I want to join the affeeliate program. ; )
            Signature

            - For your import/export/customs questions or problems, send PM.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75761].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Marie Pugh
            I agree with David about targeting those who have had to go through a mastectomy too.

            There is a business in a town near where I live here, and that is what they do. They originally were located in a little shop by the clinic, but they have recently had to move into a larger store.

            They do custom bra fittings for free - and then they sell you the bras, lingerie and other little things that women need.

            But, it isn't just for women who have gone through cancer - it is for everyone - and I think it does quite well. The truth is, not many women are actually wearing the right size bra, and if she can show women how much more comfortable they could be - trust me, they will be her customers for life!!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75773].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Wendy Hearn
      Originally Posted by Glenn Newsome View Post

      Interview your girlfriends mum and try to rediscover what is was that made her more successful in the beginning.
      I am assuming that she probably dropped something she was doing that was working.
      Hi Ben,

      I think Glenn's advice is spot on and also, what in the market has changed, if anything? If she's been listening to her clients she will probably have picked up some clues and could perhaps get some feedback from past clients or people she knows that may use her service.

      I'd also consider whether parties are the way to go forward? It might be that a more personal bespoke service to a better client would be more lucrative.

      Wendy
      Signature

      Wendy Hearn - Business Coaching

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75720].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ben Bergmann
        Originally Posted by Wendy Hearn View Post

        Hi Ben,

        I think Glenn's advice is spot on and also, what in the market has changed, if anything? If she's been listening to her clients she will probably have picked up some clues and could perhaps get some feedback from past clients or people she knows that may use her service.

        I'd also consider whether parties are the way to go forward? It might be that a more personal bespoke service to a better client would be more lucrative.

        Wendy
        Hi Wendy,

        They actually also fit individuals, they aren't just doing parties. I will ask her if she has picked up some clues on what has changed.

        Thank you very much for your ideas.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75747].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ben Bergmann
      Originally Posted by Glenn Newsome View Post

      Well, I could have so much fun with this post, but I think I will pass this time.:p However, I do have one suggestion for you.
      Interview your girlfriends mum and try to rediscover what is was that made her more successful in the beginning.
      I am assuming that she probably dropped something she was doing that was working.
      Because it worked in the past--I would start with that-- then add to it with suggestions from others here.
      Thanks Glenn, that's actually a very good idea. Will do it now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
    Originally Posted by Ben Bergmann View Post

    Hi everyone,

    My girlfriend's mum is a bra fitter and has her own business. They fit individuals or groups of women at so called bra-parties. You probably all know those things like tupperware parties, it's pretty much the same just with bras She fits them in a seperate room while the other women enjoy themselves.

    Her business isn't as successful anymore as it used to be in the beginning, so her husband has given her 14 days now to get some new parties or she has to drop it.

    I'd like to help them of course and thought about methods to promote their parties. I've already got a domain for it, but my biggest problem is how to promote it specifically to women in England.

    I've already thought about driving traffic to the site via article marketing, but I don't know of any English article directories really, and most of the traffic from EA is probably American.

    The second method I've thought about is promoting the business via local classified ads.

    Unfortunately, PPC is out of question as they don't have the money for it.

    It would be really great if anyone has any more ideas how I could promote the website and help them get a bra party

    Cheers,
    Ben
    I remember meeting a bloke once in a pub who was a rep for a bra company. He told me I was wearing completely the wrong size and even told me what I should be wearing (right thru my clothes). I trotted off to get measured and he was spot on.

    ahem (I digress)

    Is she just looking at advertising locally. its dead easy to rank first in google for local terms. Thing is, depends on the search words people are looking for (if any)

    What about a leaflet drop directing people to a website for further info
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75714].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ben Bergmann
      Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

      I remember meeting a bloke once in a pub who was a rep for a bra company. He told me I was wearing completely the wrong size and even told me what I should be wearing (right thru my clothes). I trotted off to get measured and he was spot on.

      ahem (I digress)

      Is she just looking at advertising locally. its dead easy to rank first in google for local terms. Thing is, depends on the search words people are looking for (if any)

      What about a leaflet drop directing people to a website for further info
      Well, they are based in Milton Keynes but will drive up to about Birmingham to the North and up to the coast really to the South. So not necessarily just locally.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75728].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Wendy Hearn
        Originally Posted by Ben Bergmann View Post

        Well, they are based in Milton Keynes but will drive up to about Birmingham to the North and up to the coast really to the South.
        Hi Ben,

        Well, Milton Keynes is my home ground, so a couple of local ideas:

        There is a personal shopper at The Centre MK, her name is Elaine Boddy and it may be worth talking with her and seeing if she has clients to refer for this service.

        There is also a couple of women's networking groups she could attend, get known and get clients from.

        Wendy
        Signature

        Wendy Hearn - Business Coaching

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Bastide
    Originally Posted by Ben Bergmann View Post

    Hi everyone,

    My girlfriend's mum is a bra fitter and has her own business. They fit individuals or groups of women at so called bra-parties. You probably all know those things like tupperware parties, it's pretty much the same just with bras She fits them in a seperate room while the other women enjoy themselves.
    Man I want that job

    where do I sign up?

    Jack
    Signature

    If you can drive Biz Op Phone Calls .... I'm Buying

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75782].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Then
      Check out this website also:
      BNI International Web Site

      It can help you. Look at "Find a Chapter" and locate UK in the list of countries.

      Join a couple of BNI meetings and promote your business. If you find one good chapter, join them.

      They can really bring you some referrals businesses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75832].message }}
      • Originally Posted by donrichdavid View Post

        When you signup for PayPal, you can start accepting credit card payments instantly. As the world's number one online payment service, PayPal is the fastest way to open your doors to over 150 million member accounts worldwide.
        Best of all, it's completely free to sign up!
        To sign up or learn more, click here: https://www.paypal.com/row/mrb/pal=HD2JW84Q4KHUQ
        Bugger Off.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75853].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Frank Ayres
          You could try netmums maybe you could pay to have a banner ad put on their site
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75882].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tim_Carter
          Maybe I can open a subsidiary here.....
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[75889].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author drmani
            Viral video?

            CheckOutMyBreasts.com had a breast self-examination video for screening breast cancer.

            The domain has expired, I found it on Archive.org's Way Back Machine:

            rethinkV3

            Something like that may help your market - and it would go viral pretty easily

            All success
            Dr.Mani
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[76048].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ExRat
              Hi,
              My girlfriend's mum is a bra fitter and has her own business. They fit individuals or groups of women at so called bra-parties.
              Wow. Best job in the world.
              Signature


              Roger Davis

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[76068].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Terry Hatfield
                Hi Ben,

                Many women fit the bras incorrectly. Saw it on Tyra Banks lol.

                Anyway, this is a very news worthy subject. After you get the website built contact the local newspaper and local tv stations.

                I would bet they would be more than willing to run a free spot for your friend.

                Terry
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[76091].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author jensrsa
                  Ben, does she have a web site? If she hasn't you should set up one.

                  I run two lingerie directories that get reasonable traffic where she can list free - Best Lingerie Web Sites Directory - Home and Sexy Lingerie Store / Lingerie Web Sites Directory - Home and I'll run a banner on each for a month or three.

                  My bit to make the world a more beautiful place B)

                  Jens
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[76296].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                    Ben, I don't know if this would fly in the UK, but here's what I would do here...

                    Instead of looking to book parties, I would throw a PARTY. Invite the local (female) news anchors, radio announcers, reporters, etc. for an event to benefit a breast cancer-related group. Offer them free fittings (even better if there's a way to do it publicly, on camera, etc.) Profits on sales made at the event go to the charity 'sponsoring' the event. Invite local (female) politicians and civic leaders - anyone who might have a fairly large circle of influence.

                    Ask female musicians to donate entertainment in return for publicity.

                    Same for a local restaurant or pub.

                    Everyone that shows up leaves with a discount coupon and a flier selling the benefits of hosting their own party.

                    Of course, you would collect email addresses for more tips on fitting various items of clothing, coming fashions, etc.

                    On another tack, is your friend staying in touch with her past buyers? I'm guessing that many women have a bigger aversion to ratty underwear than most men do. They'll need to replace items from time to time, right? Your friend should be getting her share of those sales as well.

                    In fact, why not have a 'replace your old undies' party for previous buyers?

                    HTH...
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[76464].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author peteinoz
                    its a very easy market to target in UK

                    see Google UK results

                    heres some long tails to use

                    specialist bra fitting
                    salt lake bra fitting
                    park city bra fitting
                    bra fitting at marks and specer
                    male bra fitting sissy
                    bra fitting grand blanc mi
                    denise milani bra fitting
                    bra fitting lingerie store michigan
                    bra fitting in brampton
                    bra fitting guide.
                    bra fitting guidelines
                    bra fitting georgia
                    bra fitting nashville
                    teen bra fitting
                    bra fitting in grand blanc mi
                    professional bra fitting holly mi
                    bra fitting parties
                    bra fitting stores in brampton
                    janice milani bra fitting
                    boys bra fitting
                    bra fitting appointments
                    nordstrom bra fitting
                    bra fitting stories

                    change the US names with local names.. and you'll get traffic with these niches on a .co.uk domain.. too easy..

                    send the leads to your friends site.. or make up a squeeze page and email her the names email address and phone numbers..

                    hth's

                    Cheers

                    Pete
                    Signature
                    HangoutMillionaire.com World Premeire Automated Video Marketing Software, Streams YouTube Live and Google Hangouts. Special Offer Link!
                    Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/peterdrew
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[76510].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics