one quick question about domains and hosting...

by pro11
21 replies
Just wanted to know one thing. If I buy my domain name with godaddy, will I have to host with them? I read a thread here not to long ago about godaddy and there were way to many ppl saying their hosting is crap and they can lock up your website for no reason. I have my first offline client and didnt want to mess them up with godaddy.
#domains #question #quick
  • Profile picture of the author petevamp
    Originally Posted by pro11 View Post

    Just wanted to know one thing. If I buy my domain name with godaddy, will I have to host with them? I read a thread here not to long ago about godaddy and there were way to many ppl saying their hosting is crap and they can lock up your website for no reason. I have my first offline client and didnt want to mess them up with godaddy.
    No you do not have to host with them. I recently bought a .info domain with godaddy because of the huge discount they had going on for them. @ .99cents then I transferred that domain to my dreamhost account. How ever in doing so it did cost me another year with that domain. And dreamhost domains run for 9.95$ not really a big deal. It just means I have more time to build the sites back links since it will be a forum when I am all done with it. hope that helps pal
    PeteVamped
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839018].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author petevamp
      Originally Posted by petevamp View Post

      No you do not have to host with them. I recently bought a .info domain with godaddy because of the huge discount they had going on for them. @ .99cents then I transferred that domain to my dreamhost account. How ever in doing so it did cost me another year with that domain. And dreamhost domains run for 9.95$ not really a big deal. It just means I have more time to build the sites back links since it will be a forum when I am all done with it. hope that helps pal
      PeteVamped
      I wan not about to host with godaddy my self I know there host is crap. Also when I was just testing out there free host They placed a thousand adsense ads on the page as my header basically. Meaning that the first thing the people would have seen and about the only thing was the godaddy ads placed. If I configured right they might beable to see my header graphic but that was pushing it. So no you can buy the domain from godaddy and use another host I recommend using Web Hosting by DreamHost Web Hosting: Web Sites, Domain Registration, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, all on Debian Linux! if you want a 40 discount for a year of service use promo code hubpages
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839029].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Achilles1963
      I just asked that question the other day: "Buying My First Nonfree Domain Name and Hosting and I Could Use Some Advice Please" 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM, and was told

      "Most here would probably advise you to skip GoDaddy and go with NameCheap for your domains. NameCheap also offers hosting, but the general advice is to never buy hosting from the same place you buy domains." and

      "I use namecheap for domain name buying, hostgator for hosting" and

      "I have bought all of my domains through Godaddy though an I find them to be a great domain provider." and

      "As for GoDaddy, well a lot of Internet marketers say that they are not IM friendly and would never use them. I don't know - but there is an old adage - 'there is no smoke without fire'. So make your own decision."

      "I have been using the hosting at thirdspherehosting.com for years with great success."

      I hope this helps.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839042].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pro11
        Originally Posted by Achilles1963 View Post

        I just asked that question the other day: "Buying My First Nonfree Domain Name and Hosting and I Could Use Some Advice Please" 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM, and was told

        "Most here would probably advise you to skip GoDaddy and go with NameCheap for your domains. NameCheap also offers hosting, but the general advice is to never buy hosting from the same place you buy domains." and

        "I use namecheap for domain name buying, hostgator for hosting" and

        "I have bought all of my domains through Godaddy though an I find them to be a great domain provider." and

        "As for GoDaddy, well a lot of Internet marketers say that they are not IM friendly and would never use them. I don't know - but there is an old adage - 'there is no smoke without fire'. So make your own decision."

        "I have been using the hosting at thirdspherehosting.com for years with great success."

        I hope this helps.
        Thanks a lot Achilles1963, but why is that a general advice to never host with the same place your buying the domain from?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839049].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Achilles1963
          I don't know, that's just what they told me and they didn't explain. lol
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839053].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dustin_Popham
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pro11
    thanks alot petevamp! What about namecheap for hosting?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pro11
    LOL thanks anyways!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fox30
    do not use godaddy...I recommend NameCheap for your domains and AptHost(cheapest around and excellent service).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pro11
      Originally Posted by Fox30 View Post

      do not use godaddy...I recommend NameCheap for your domains and AptHost(cheapest around and excellent service).
      Thanks I got it with namecheap, now where should I host?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author new2ebiz
    Any good place you can buy a domain name will let you host it somewhere else.

    The reason I like to buy my domains at a different place than I host it is if I had a problem I would not be offline for long.

    It sounds like you want to have a reseller account, in that case I would suggest you not to use GoDaddy or a similar company.

    I use hostgator and turnkeyinternet for hosting. Both have reseller accounts available.
    I have in the past used Godaddy for hosting and had no problems, but it was for a very small site of my own with little traffic.

    Choosing your hosting company will depend on a number of issues; traffic you expect, customer service you need, your experience with setting up a site, available services and options - such as bandwidth allowance, email accounts allowed without extra pay, etc.
    Since I'm more experienced now, have use aprrox. 7 hosting companies by now I don't need to much hand holding but want excellent customer service and the most options I can get for my dollar.
    Every company will have it pluses and minuses. Every company has glitches from time to time.

    Is there something you expect or particularly need? Be sure you host company provides it. Give them a call before hand and see how they handle your questions; it may tell you a lot about how they operate.

    Good luck.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pro11
      Originally Posted by new2ebiz View Post

      Any good place you can buy a domain name will let you host it somewhere else.

      The reason I like to buy my domains at a different place than I host it is if I had a problem I would not be offline for long.

      It sounds like you want to have a reseller account, in that case I would suggest you not to use GoDaddy or a similar company.

      I use hostgator and turnkeyinternet for hosting. Both have reseller accounts available.
      I have in the past used Godaddy for hosting and had no problems, but it was for a very small site of my own with little traffic.

      Choosing your hosting company will depend on a number of issues; traffic you expect, customer service you need, your experience with setting up a site, available services and options - such as bandwidth allowance, email accounts allowed without extra pay, etc.
      Since I'm more experienced now, have use aprrox. 7 hosting companies by now I don't need to much hand holding but want excellent customer service and the most options I can get for my dollar.
      Every company will have it pluses and minuses. Every company has glitches from time to time.

      Is there something you expect or particularly need? Be sure you host company provides it. Give them a call before hand and see how they handle your questions; it may tell you a lot about how they operate.

      Good luck.
      Thanks a lot for your post, Im new at all this and dont really know what in specific I will need. Like I said before this is my first client, Im building a page for her ( an attorney). and dont want to look bad. I dont think she expects much traffic I really dont. Email addresses I think no more then than 5. What bandwidth do you think I will need for such a site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839211].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author new2ebiz
        Originally Posted by pro11 View Post

        What bandwidth do you think I will need for such a site?
        It all depends on what kind of site she wants? A brochure type site with basic information or a full blown online legal forum/blog and content type site with lots and back and forth? The banwidth need would be quite different.

        I'm not the one to ask about bandwidth. That question might make for another good post unless someone steps in and answers it here.

        Also remember alias email address; many companies will give you more than enough of those and at least 2 -5 pop email addresses. A lot of times I use the alias email address and point them to another email address. I won't explain unless you need me to.
        Lots of ways exists to handle email.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839288].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author virtuallywork
        I recommend the Wealthy Affiliate Hosting Service..You can try it out for a week with the special trial and if it is not what you are looking for, then drop it. If it works for you, it is only $39.00 a month. Won't hurt since it is a mere dollar.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839655].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Achilles1963
          Originally Posted by virtuallywork View Post

          I recommend the Wealthy Affiliate Hosting Service..You can try it out for a week with the special trial and if it is not what you are looking for, then drop it. If it works for you, it is only $39.00 a month. Won't hurt since it is a mere dollar.
          Only $39 a month? I was under the impression that the going rate was around $20 or less. :confused:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839666].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RKCastillo
    I prefer Host Gator for hosting...

    I've had a few problems and the support staff is amazing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gilbertm
    I agree with RKCastillo. I have been using Hostgator for about a year now and their support staff is amazing. I have never had any problems with my sites being down either because of server problems, and I host several sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839485].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      There is good reason not to host where you register domains. Host servers do go down on occasion and if you have control of your domain you can quickly repoint it and get the site back up elsewhere.

      It's one of those problems not likely to happen - but if servers go down for an extended time (and it does happen occasionally) you'll be very happy you have your domain elsewhere.

      Register the domain - namecheap is fine. Get a reseller account with Hostgator (reliable, lots of tutorials, good support) and point the domain to the host servers by repointing the DNS (domain name server). The hosting gives you the exact info to use - and you repoint the DNS on the site where domain is registered.

      After you point the domain it takes time (about 24 hrs give or take) to propagate through the web. Once it does that, the site shows up online.

      The person you build the site for can easily get cheap hosting at Hostgator and HG will push the site over to him if you want. Or you can charge a monthly or annual fee and keep the site hosted on your reseller account if you want.

      Unless you have loads of graphics or videos, etc, the site won't take much bandwidth unless traffic gets very busy. You can always up the bandwidth if you need to later. With a reseller account you have WHM - a management panel that allows you to adjust the size/bandwidth for each site.

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
      ***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839530].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mike52683
        I use Namecheap for my domains and hostgator for my hosting. Absolutely no issues with either company. I highly recommend both.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author virtuallywork
    You do not have to use them as your hosting service. Why not try out a University Hosting service for Only $1 to check it out for one week? You can get it for only a dollar and check out why people are loving it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petevamp
    I like dream host. Lots of one click installs like phpbb,wp,zencart,jommla,droopla, and many others. This is also just my opinion. As to the one saying never buy your domain to the place you are going to host. I have to disagree. I have done both bought domains from others and domains from dreamhost my dreamhost domains did cost me little more then normal. How ever the quality of there service by far makes up for it. Again 60$ for one year hosting at dream host just use promo code hubpages. That is 40$ for one year then if you do not like there service you can still transfer at any time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[839767].message }}

Trending Topics