Where to Buy a Website?

35 replies
Hi,

I'm in the market to buy some websites. I have ben looking at Flippa, which is claimed to be one of the key market places for websites, but they only have about 1,000 listings.

Are there other sites that offer quality websites for sale.......?

And Yes, I've had a look here. And please don't take this personally (those who sell sites here), but.......

I'm looking for well established sites, aged domains, lots of 'real' traffic, membership lists, quality content etc etc.

Not, someone who can build me an 'instant' site using automation, with scraped content, blogs made up of 'curated' content and the like.

Any assistance appreciated.
#buy #website
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas Smale
    Relevant advice would require knowing a little more about your aims. The main thing is budget - what sort of cash are you working with?
    Signature
    I specialize in selling websites over $10,000 in value. No obligation, confidential valuation here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toplink
    Hi Thomas,

    I'm looking for sites in a few different niches, such as.

    Thai Dating
    Logistics
    Thai Cooking
    Virtual Outsourcing

    I want to use these sites to link / integrate with my own existing sites, drive traffic to my money sites, maybe sell my products on these newly purchased sites.

    But they need to be quality established sites with real traffic and ideally with subscriber lists. If they are monetised already, so much the better. What I am seeking to buy is ready made 'traffic' and a 'list'.

    That is where the value of a site lies. Not in its 'potential'.

    All the sites for sale here seem to be of the 'get rich quick' variety and I have yet to find an actual 'site' for sale. They are all offers to 'build' a site. Authority sites for $47. Yea right.........

    Budget is really dependant on the 'value' of the site. I see you sell sites at >$10,000. For a quality site, no problem.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901842].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tbcooke
      Originally Posted by Toplink View Post

      Hi Thomas,

      I'm looking for sites in a few different niches, such as.

      Thai Dating
      Logistics
      Thai Cooking
      Virtual Outsourcing

      I want to use these sites to link / integrate with my own existing sites, drive traffic to my money sites, maybe sell my products on these newly purchased sites.

      But they need to be quality established sites with real traffic and ideally with subscriber lists. If they are monetised already, so much the better. What I am seeking to buy is ready made 'traffic' and a 'list'.

      That is where the value of a site lies. Not in its 'potential'.

      All the sites for sale here seem to be of the 'get rich quick' variety and I have yet to find an actual 'site' for sale. They are all offers to 'build' a site. Authority sites for $47. Yea right.........

      Budget is really dependant on the 'value' of the site. I see you sell sites at >$10,000. For a quality site, no problem.
      Hi there,

      I'd set up a saved search on Flippa. You can select all the criteria you're looking for (e.g. verified analytics, adsense, etc) and the system will contact you as soon as something appropriate is listed on Flippa.

      https://flippa.com/advanced-search

      Best of luck!

      Tim - Flippa.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8941576].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas Smale
    That's quite a specific niche list - you might be better off contacting site owners directly. At any one time, there are not that many legitimate sites for sale. Flippa is FULL of junk, and so are many brokers.

    So yeah, if it were me I would be contacting relevant sites directly and seeing if you can buy them that way. You could try brokers as well but expect competition to be fierce as a buyer.
    Signature
    I specialize in selling websites over $10,000 in value. No obligation, confidential valuation here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toplink
    Thanks Thomas.

    I don't really have the time to do the research and contact site owners, but I take your point.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901879].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      Originally Posted by Toplink View Post

      Thanks Thomas.

      I don't really have the time to do the research and contact site owners, but I take your point.
      And I don't have time to research for you for free. If I found sites for sale that met your criteria I would definitely not tell you. Although I would act as a middle man and charge you for the information.

      al
      Signature
      The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8901901].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Toplink
        Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

        And I don't have time to research for you for free. If I found sites for sale that met your criteria I would definitely not tell you. Although I would act as a middle man and charge you for the information.

        al
        I did not ask you to search for the sites for me did I?

        That's why I was interested in talking to a Broker...

        I would happily pay a commission for someone who could find suitable sites and act as a middleman.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8902010].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author agmccall
          Originally Posted by Toplink View Post

          I did not ask you to search for the sites for me did I?

          That's why I was interested in talking to a Broker...

          I would happily pay a commission for someone who could find suitable sites and act as a middleman.
          Great, then go to a broker and not a marketing forum

          al
          Signature
          The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8902030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toplink
    Dear Al. Obviously someone has done something today to get all wound up and 'punchy' :-) I hope the rest of your day goes better.....

    If you read my original post, I was merely asking if anyone knew of any other sites like 'Flippa' where I could look for websites for sale.

    This is indeed primarily a marketing forum, but there is also a lot of buying and selling that goes on here. So I thought it was a legitimate place to ask the question.

    If I was wrong in that assumption, my sincere apologies.

    Never having used a Broker before, could you perhaps, without 'biting my head off' suggest where I might find such Brokers?


    Any assistance would be much appreciated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8902109].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Thomas Smale
      Originally Posted by Toplink View Post

      Dear Al. Obviously someone has done something today to get all wound up and 'punchy' :-) I hope the rest of your day goes better.....

      If you read my original post, I was merely asking if anyone knew of any other sites like 'Flippa' where I could look for websites for sale.

      This is indeed primarily a marketing forum, but there is also a lot of buying and selling that goes on here. So I thought it was a legitimate place to ask the question.

      If I was wrong in that assumption, my sincere apologies.

      Never having used a Broker before, could you perhaps, without 'biting my head off' suggest where I might find such Brokers?


      Any assistance would be much appreciated.
      I'm not aware of too many specialised brokers online who do buy-side work. It's just not as profitable as sell-side contracts as buyers often want to do it contingency based (e.g. pay only if you find them a site) which is not worth it, especially if you're only looking at relatively small sites.

      I'm sure you would find people volunteering to help you out for a fee, but the vast majority of good brokers I know only do sell-side work so the best advice you'd get from me is just to search brokers (Justin Gilchrist has a good list here: Website Brokers and Agencies | Find Websites for Sale with FlipFilter) and sign up to lists to see if anything comes up.
      Signature
      I specialize in selling websites over $10,000 in value. No obligation, confidential valuation here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8902134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toplink
    Thanks for your help Thomas. Much appreciated. Certainly a bit of a 'new area' for me.

    As you suggested earlier, maybe some research for potential sites might be a good start point. Whilst I don't really have the time.......I could easily hire someone to do the research based on specific criteria.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8902138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahBonet
    I am selling a prime domain realestate called Chiropractic Massage Therapy Official Site | All about chiropractic care.

    Only serious buyers....5 year old domain....comes with website, affiliate offers, and domain....hosting available....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8937391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mtubuzz
    Flippa is your destination, You can buy one there.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8940319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexnob
    Originally Posted by Toplink View Post

    Hi,

    I'm in the market to buy some websites. I have ben looking at Flippa, which is claimed to be one of the key market places for websites, but they only have about 1,000 listings.

    Are there other sites that offer quality websites for sale.......?

    And Yes, I've had a look here. And please don't take this personally (those who sell sites here), but.......

    I'm looking for well established sites, aged domains, lots of 'real' traffic, membership lists, quality content etc etc.

    Not, someone who can build me an 'instant' site using automation, with scraped content, blogs made up of 'curated' content and the like.

    Any assistance appreciated.
    DigitalPoint Forum's also a market place that you should check (although I do not really recommend, from my exp, there're a bunch of scammers there and Flippa provide better protection for buyers.

    Another options, you can search for sites on Google that matched your requirements, then directly contact the owner for an offer, it would be far easier and faster I think!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8940361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wbee
    Flippa, Godaddy Auctions, niche forums, or direct contact with webmasters in the niche you're looking for are some options to try.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8941010].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardworker2013
    Flippa is the best source but since you said you tried that why not try Godaddy?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8941027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affiliatesx
    Find and buy on Flippa.com, QUALITY! Most of buyers on flippa has a good knowledges, and theirs comment will help you choose a site.
    Signature

    The best Amazon affiliate ebook More than $8,000 copies sold

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8942572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lsc297
    Be careful on Flippa- there are ALOT of scammers! So- called verified figures etc, all made up. Flippa will not help if you are ripped off. I am talking from personal experience.
    Does anyone know of a good forum for listing thieving scammers, & getting info on bad boys, so we can sort them out?
    thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8978626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mhegedus17
    I've had good experience with flippa. I highly recommend that site, although I haven't looked at any other website selling sites. Flippa seemed to be the main one tough.

    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8979076].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CliffUK
      It really wouldn't take much time - certainly less than reading through all these posts! - to do some quick searches for a new domain registration for the site names you particularly like, and the seller's/registrar's search engine will tell you in no time which domains are already taken. You can then either check the 'who is' directory listing if available in your location and/or visit each pre-registered domain to find out if actively in use or whether it be parked or for sale.

      As it is an established site you are after, perhaps contact that site's web designer or business or company or individual having a connection to that site, expressing your interest in it.

      If you want a fully operational site with the domain 'off the shelf' then as already suggested, online brokers will assist you with the low down on sites or domains on their books, and they charge accordingly. Anything else takes a little more time and effort. Happy hunting!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8979325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toplink
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm keeping an eye on Flippa and have also approached some site owners directly...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TryBPO
    Hey OP,

    It sounds like you're focused on some pretty narrow niches. While brokers have established, profitable sites, it's not as likely that they'll have sites with such a narrow focus.

    All the same and as an alternative to Flippa, you can check out sites at:

    Empire Flippers (us)
    FE International
    Quiet Light Brokerage

    As an alternative, I believe Ace Chapman does some buy-side consulting - it's worth reaching out and asking, I think.

    Good luck!
    Signature
    Website Brokers - We can help you sell businesses making $500 to $50K per month.

    Free Website Valuation - How much is your website really worth? Find out here, free.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9308056].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Niche Blogger
      I've both bought and sold on Flippa and there can be a few gems there occasionally but you really have to keep your eye on the marketplace. There's alot of rubbish there too.

      I don't know of any personally but I've heard there are a few site brokers both here on the forum and elsewhere online. They would probably have a portfolio of decent sites they could sell you. Also check out actual business for sale websites like Businesses For Sale - Sell or Buy a Business for Sale - sometimes you'll find some good Internet business opportunities there.
      Signature
      Custom Mega Authority Sites - 1000+ Word Articles (written by REAL native English speaking writers)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9308836].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mw13
        PS... I haven't used it but Flippa also has a higher level listing thing that is only for buyers looking to spend more and supposedly with websites that have been vetted a bit more than the regular Flippa listings. Think it's called Deal Flow or something. Anyone know anything about it?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9308923].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9309120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    The Digital Point Forum has websites for sale. These websites generally are under 1000 dollars and are pretty good if you plan on flipping the website and resell it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9309260].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Toplink
      Originally Posted by cyberzolo View Post

      The Digital Point Forum has websites for sale. These websites generally are under 1000 dollars and are pretty good if you plan on flipping the website and resell it.
      Thanks. There certainly seem to be more sites for sale there than on Flippa.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9330771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author osamaye360
    a good one that i know of is buysellwebsite.com. though i havent bought from them personally but i have heard a lot about them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9331114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author osamaye360
    Originally Posted by Toplink View Post

    Hi,

    I'm in the market to buy some websites. I have ben looking at Flippa, which is claimed to be one of the key market places for websites, but they only have about 1,000 listings.

    Are there other sites that offer quality websites for sale.......?

    And Yes, I've had a look here. And please don't take this personally (those who sell sites here), but.......

    I'm looking for well established sites, aged domains, lots of 'real' traffic, membership lists, quality content etc etc.

    Not, someone who can build me an 'instant' site using automation, with scraped content, blogs made up of 'curated' content and the like.

    Any assistance appreciated.

    Another popular place to buy website is sitesell.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9331538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Toplink
    Thanks Guys, I'll check out those sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author malik4u7861
    buying the site other than flippa is sedo
    Signature

    midrees

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fat Wolf
    Digital Point Market Place could be you second choice
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheFranchiseMarketer
    Banned
    I really like flippa. I hear that they are the best out there based on the overall reviews.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebStatsO
    If your looking for established websites i dont know if there are better websites than Flippa. Whats your budget? Since most established website will cost alot.
    Signature
    Website Worth - Know your websites worth, statistics and WHOIS ip lookup.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9333145].message }}

Trending Topics