The "Shark Tank" of Internet Marketing

19 replies
I love the reality show "Shark Tank" it's a quick lesson on how to present a product idea to hard boiled investors ... in the least amount of time. It's fun watching the sharks methodically punch holes in a idea or elbow each other to invest in a product or service idea with potential. Very educational in many different ways ... as well as entertaining.

The good part is you learn what to do and not to do. Of course this forum could be considered the Internet version of the Shark Tank, any other site you could recommend?

Here's one of my favorite episodes ...
#internet #marketing #shark tank
  • Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Of course this forum could considered the Internet version of the Shark Tank?
    The difference with this forum however is that 90% of any given thread posted here is filled with feedback given by folks who hardly qualify (experience wise or financially) to give similar quality advice as is given on Shark Tank. Also, this is not a pitch making site for seeking investments for your business or product.

    And for that reason.... I'm out!
    Signature
    Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
    "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
    "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

    "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
    "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938041].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      One of the great things about Internet business is that you don't have to find serious investors to bring your idea to reality.

      It sometimes hurts to watch these new entrepreneurs have serious equity in their businesses taken by the sharks. I understand that risk must be compensated, but many of the entrepreneurs are giving up great portions of the control of their businesses to the sharks.

      It is an eye opening experience to watch how the process works.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938120].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author schttrj
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        One of the great things about Internet business is that you don't have to find serious investors to bring your idea to reality.

        It sometimes hurts to watch these new entrepreneurs have serious equity in their businesses taken by the sharks. I understand that risk must be compensated, but many of the entrepreneurs are giving up great portions of the control of their businesses to the sharks.

        It is an eye opening experience to watch how the process works.

        Steve
        Actually, but then again, lower the entry barrier, higher the competition.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938191].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by stoltingmediagroup View Post

      The difference with this site however is that 90% of any given thread posted here is filled with feedback given by folks who hardly qualify (experience wise or financially) to give similar quality advice as is given on Shark Tank. Also, this is not a pitch making site for seeking investments for your business or product.

      And for that reason.... I'm out!
      The differences you refer to are true. But those differences qualify as advantages also.

      You'll notice the one question most of the sharks always have (even if the product idea stinks to them at first glance) is ... how many have you sold? In other words what does the average person think about your idea?

      It's fun watching their reaction when the owner gives a high number, when they initially laughed at the idea. Next, they proceed to sit up in their seats and verbally pimp slap each to get in on the deal.

      So, even if you're not a fountain of experience, knowledge or wealth your feedback still play a valuable role here. Why? Because you have an opinion and to savvy marketers that's gold.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938412].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        I've often thought the biggest payoff is not having the sharks invest in your product or service idea/business. But having millions of targeted people see your product or service in action for zero cost.

        Maybe that's why even the people who are turned down walk out smiling. If you get to present your idea at all you've won in my opinion.
        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938426].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author xlfutur1
          Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

          I've often thought the biggest payoff is not having the sharks invest in your product or service idea/business. But having millions of targeted people see your product or service in action for zero cost.

          Maybe that's why even the people who are turned down walk out smiling. If you get to present your idea at all you've won in my opinion.
          That's probably the main incentive for some who enter the Shark Tank - they just want publicity, not a deal. If they don't get a deal, the publicity and exposure they get is probably worth 10X than the actually Shark investment would have been.

          Ex....That wine by the glass guy was one of those. He was on twice and didn't get a deal. Now I see his wine by the glass product in grocery stores everywhere.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938712].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
            Originally Posted by xlfutur1 View Post

            That's probably the main incentive for some who enter the Shark Tank - they just want publicity, not a deal. If they don't get a deal, the publicity and exposure they get is probably worth 10X than the actually Shark investment would have been.

            Ex....That wine by the glass guy was one of those. He was on twice and didn't get a deal. Now I see his wine by the glass product in grocery stores everywhere.
            Yes, I've seen it too. Plus, I've heard many who don't get a deal can also get referrals to other investors who are not on the show - who may be interested.
            Signature
            Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
            "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
            "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8942748].message }}
      • Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        So, even if you're not a fountain of experience, knowledge or wealth your feedback still play a valuable role here. Why? Because you have an opinion and to savvy marketers that's gold.
        I agree! I'm mainly referring to the Warrior who seems to spend his/her day jumping into threads and giving allot of "I think you should do ABC but not EFG" type of advice, when in fact they have absolutely no experience in the area of the OP's question and topic.

        In many cases the advice given, (good or bad) is usually regurgitated and based on something they "read", as opposed to one of the "Sharks" on Shark Tank giving solid business advice to an Entrepreneur in an area where said Shark giving that advice has actually earned millions. There's the difference.
        Signature
        Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
        "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
        "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

        "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
        "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seonutshell
    I assume its like The UK version of dragons Den?

    Plus i have always wondered, when they take 15 percent equity, does equity always man for life? I mean, some of these people give away like 45 percent of there business for a 100k investment. And if that business become worth 1B in 10 years? You owe some dudes who gave you 100k 450 million? I wouldnt want to do it. 100k isnt hard in this day and age if you want it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BarryAllen
      Originally Posted by seonutshell View Post

      I assume its like The UK version of dragons Den?

      Plus i have always wondered, when they take 15 percent equity, does equity always man for life? I mean, some of these people give away like 45 percent of there business for a 100k investment. And if that business become worth 1B in 10 years? You owe some dudes who gave you 100k 450 million? I wouldnt want to do it. 100k isnt hard in this day and age if you want it.
      That's EXACTLY the same thing I was thinking. Why would you give them that much money when they sponsored you with like 100k?
      BA,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938182].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Angle Warrior
      [QUOTE=seonutshell;8938148]I assume its like The UK version of dragons Den?

      Sorry but Dragons Den is CANADIAN and started before Shark Tank in fact two of the members of shark tank are originals and still active on dragons den...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938208].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thomas Smale
        [quote=Angle Warrior;8938208]
        Originally Posted by seonutshell View Post

        I assume its like The UK version of dragons Den?

        Sorry but Dragons Den is CANADIAN and started before Shark Tank in fact two of the members of shark tank are originals and still active on dragons den...
        It actually originated in Japan, so get your facts straight

        Dragons' Den - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Signature
        I specialize in selling websites over $10,000 in value. No obligation, confidential valuation here.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938307].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Angle Warrior
          I stand corrected you are right Dragons Den debuted in Japan, But I think Hockey's ours
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AceOfShirts
      Originally Posted by seonutshell View Post

      I assume its like The UK version of dragons Den?

      Plus i have always wondered, when they take 15 percent equity, does equity always man for life? I mean, some of these people give away like 45 percent of there business for a 100k investment. And if that business become worth 1B in 10 years? You owe some dudes who gave you 100k 450 million? I wouldnt want to do it. 100k isnt hard in this day and age if you want it.
      Yeah, but the big question is whether you would have been able to grow it to a billion dollar business without them.

      Would you rather have 100% of a million dollar business or 55% of a billion dollar business?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938638].message }}
    • Originally Posted by seonutshell View Post

      Plus i have always wondered... some of these people give away like 45 percent of there business for a 100k investment. And if that business become worth 1B in 10 years? You owe some dudes who gave you 100k 450 million? I wouldnt want to do it. 100k isnt hard in this day and age if you want it.
      You missed the point of the Shark Tank.

      It's not about the capital influx... It's about signing a super millionaire business partner who has established connections with top-level distribution channels, nation-wide marketing media, etc. Those guys can pick up the phone and arrange a meeting with the top decision-making executives in your industry in less than 10 minutes.

      If Mark Zuckerberg approached me, demanding 50% of my business stock FOR FREE in exchange of his mere participation, I would accept the deal in a heart beat. That type of connection can boost your business reach 100-fold overnight.

      Ask yourself this: would you have 100% of a grape, or 50% of a watermelon?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8942822].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Yes, that's true - But it always comes down to your marketing plan and execution, product demand and follow up. It's definitely not get rich quick like most promoters describe. It can often be get broke quick ... if you're not careful.
        I forget the name, but I remember a comic talking about Las Vegas the same way. Seems he arrived in a big, shiny car with a jungle cat on the hood and left on a big, shiny bus with a dog on the side.

        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        But I think the biggest advantage for Shark Tank participants is not the money but having access to the Sharks knowledge, connections and distribution systems. That's maybe more valuable than the money they're loaning you. Maybe!
        I agree with your point, but offer a small correction. Be they Dragons or Sharks, they are not offering loans. They are buying a piece of the company. They're making a bet on the business, and their own ability to make it succeed. If they lose, their money is gone. If they win, they've got a partner for life (and a dividend stream).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8942941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IanM723
    Yeah, it is very entertaining but it would be interesting to see those folks in a year and see how they have done and also if they regret their decisions. I have seen several folks from Shark Tank on QVC selling their products so at least some of the products and ideas do make it to marketplace.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    What I love about internet marketing is that you don't have to find an investor to invest in your business. You can start with as little as $100-$300 per month and grow your business online to high levels of income within a few months or a few short years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938487].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

      What I love about internet marketing is that you don't have to find an investor to invest in your business. You can start with as little as $100-$300 per month and grow your business online to high levels of income within a few months or a few short years.
      Yes, that's true - But it always comes down to your marketing plan and execution, product demand and follow up. It's definitely not get rich quick like most promoters describe. It can often be get broke quick ... if you're not careful.


      But I think the biggest advantage for Shark Tank participants is not the money but having access to the Sharks knowledge, connections and distribution systems. That's maybe more valuable than the money they're loaning you. Maybe!
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8938600].message }}

Trending Topics