Well I guess technically I’m not a “newbie” anymore since I’ve been involved with internet marketing for a little over 2 years now, but I’m far from reaching a level of “success” that I want to be at. There are a lot of things I’ve learned in these last 2 years that I wanted to share. This is by no means a “complete” or “comprehensive” list (obviously) but it’s a good start. Here are some things I’ve learned over the last 2 years that I wanted to share:
1. Pick a niche within internet marketing and STICK TO THAT. Whether it’s email marketing, blogging, niche websites, ecommerce, social media marketing, video marketing… and the list goes on. If you try to do too many things at once you’ll just overwhelm yourself.
2. If you can, get a mentor. Sometimes you can find relatively inexpensive mentors. Ask around on the forums or check the WSO forum for coaching.
3. BUILD A LIST. If you have a website, get an autoresponder and build that list ASAP! You’ll hear over and over again that “the money is in the list”.
4. If you’re not selling, you’re being sold to.
5. Keep your WSO purchases to a minimum, (sorry WSO sellers.) This goes along with #4 that if you’re not selling, you’re being sold to. You should be focusing on YOUR business, not helping other people succeed with theirs.
6. (Another statement IM gurus are going to hate me for but…) Unsubscribe yourself from ALL internet marketers email lists… unless maybe you have a relationship with a particular marketer you know, like, and trust. But the majority of them are only trying to sell you crap, and it’s only going to distract you from your end goal.
7. Speaking of “knowing, liking, and trusting” an internet marketer. THIS IS YOUR MAIN GOAL IN YOUR IM BUSINESS. This is your main goal because people BUY from people they know, like, and trust. How do you get people to know, like and trust you? Read on to #8…
8. Provide value. Whether it’s email marketing or affiliate marketing or whatever… don’t just focus ONLY on trying to sell something. Focus on providing great content with lots of value. That my friend is how you get people to know, like, and trust you, and that’s how you get them to hit the “buy now” button.
9. Another main goal in your IM business should be to ultimately create and sell your own product. This is easier then it sounds. Find a problem people are having that they’re willing to pay for a solution for. Then you create a product around that solution. Don’t forget to do your market research either! There’s no point in creating a product unless there is a “buyers” market where people are actually willing to spend money on their solution. Ever green niches work, but also try to think out of the box.
10. Take action EVERY DAY. No matter how small or what you do. I’ve come to realize that making “to do” lists comes in very handy. That way each day when you wake up, you won’t have to “wonder” what to do… you’ll already have it written down.
Well that’s all I got for now I hope you enjoyed reading what I had to say and I hope you found some value in it Other intermediate to advanced marketers, feel free to chime in on something you’d like to add!