10 Tips for Newbies From a Newbie...

23 replies
*Revised to remove my mentors name. Not sure if that's why my original post got deleted or not, sorry mods! Please don't delete, I put a lot of effort into this post!*

Well I guess technically I’m not a “newbie” anymore since I’ve been involved with internet marketing for a little over 2 years now, but I’m far from reaching a level of “success” that I want to be at. There are a lot of things I’ve learned in these last 2 years that I wanted to share. This is by no means a “complete” or “comprehensive” list (obviously) but it’s a good start. Here are some things I’ve learned over the last 2 years that I wanted to share:


1. Pick a niche within internet marketing and STICK TO THAT. Whether it’s email marketing, blogging, niche websites, ecommerce, social media marketing, video marketing… and the list goes on. If you try to do too many things at once you’ll just overwhelm yourself.

2. If you can, get a mentor. Sometimes you can find relatively inexpensive mentors. Ask around on the forums or check the WSO forum for coaching.

3. BUILD A LIST. If you have a website, get an autoresponder and build that list ASAP! You’ll hear over and over again that “the money is in the list”.

4. If you’re not selling, you’re being sold to.

5. Keep your WSO purchases to a minimum, (sorry WSO sellers.) This goes along with #4 that if you’re not selling, you’re being sold to. You should be focusing on YOUR business, not helping other people succeed with theirs.

6. (Another statement IM gurus are going to hate me for but…) Unsubscribe yourself from ALL internet marketers email lists… unless maybe you have a relationship with a particular marketer you know, like, and trust. But the majority of them are only trying to sell you crap, and it’s only going to distract you from your end goal.

7. Speaking of “knowing, liking, and trusting” an internet marketer. THIS IS YOUR MAIN GOAL IN YOUR IM BUSINESS. This is your main goal because people BUY from people they know, like, and trust. How do you get people to know, like and trust you? Read on to #8…

8. Provide value. Whether it’s email marketing or affiliate marketing or whatever… don’t just focus ONLY on trying to sell something. Focus on providing great content with lots of value. That my friend is how you get people to know, like, and trust you, and that’s how you get them to hit the “buy now” button.

9. Another main goal in your IM business should be to ultimately create and sell your own product. This is easier then it sounds. Find a problem people are having that they’re willing to pay for a solution for. Then you create a product around that solution. Don’t forget to do your market research either! There’s no point in creating a product unless there is a “buyers” market where people are actually willing to spend money on their solution. Ever green niches work, but also try to think out of the box.

10. Take action EVERY DAY. No matter how small or what you do. I’ve come to realize that making “to do” lists comes in very handy. That way each day when you wake up, you won’t have to “wonder” what to do… you’ll already have it written down.


Well that’s all I got for now I hope you enjoyed reading what I had to say and I hope you found some value in it Other intermediate to advanced marketers, feel free to chime in on something you’d like to add!
#newbie… #newbies #tips
  • Profile picture of the author IanM723
    That is just AWESOME advice! I think a lot of the things that you have on there I have heard some of the biggest names in IM, the million dollar folks, say time and time again.

    I especially like #4-6. As a WSO ADDICT I can tell you that buying WSO after WSO it is a really tough habit to break but it is definitely counterproductive since the goal of any online business is to make money, not spend it.

    Again, great stuff, thanks so much for the share
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eric Lovelace
    Sweet read mate. I have been doing this for two months now and have seen what has worked for me which you've outlined here

    1. Create my own products
    2. Build my list
    3.Send out offers that hold value
    4. Build my rep on related forums, so people can also start to know, like, and trust me.

    Again thanks for this post really confirmed what I have been doing. That and I have been seeing results, so it's all good.

    Eric
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gluckspilz
    I agree with you guys but if a newbie is going to follow this guide. They need to understand that launching a product has lot more to it! Yes, it is the ultimate and probably the best method to make money while building a buyer's list. But if you check the mejority of WSOs sold on the Warrior Forum.

    Hardly any of them pass the 100+ mark. It would suck for a newbie to waste all their effort for a few sales.

    Basically, good guide. But there is definitely a lot more to it! Keep it up guys!
    Signature

    Want To Learn Affiliate Marketing The Right Way?

    Click Here To Get Free Access To My Free Course!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CAmarketing
      Thanks guys!

      And @gluckspilz you're right... It's not by any means "easy" to launch a product, I just meant that it's easier than it seems. But actually maybe not to the "newbie". I'd consider myself an average "intermediate" IMer so maybe I'M the one that thinks it's easier than it seems...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnabraham93
    This tips are good working.
    thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Petal
    Great stuff. I wish I had that information when I started. I went crazy buying WSO's so point 5 would have helped me quite a bit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    Kind of nice post for a 7 posts user great job, I`ll give you a Thanks.
    Signature
    Want To Rank on The First Page of Google? Try This:
    - Strong Authority Articles on PBNope.Com and
    - SEO Diversification Package From Rankcol.Com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032834].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author alex2095
      Hmmmmmm

      How can a 'newbie' just start their IM journey in an IM niche? If your a newbie you probably dont know too much about successful IM, So wouldn't it make sense to: start in a different niche, master it, and since you have mastered it, you now know how to successfully make money online, so you can have a go in the IM niche ?

      Great lessons BTW, thanks for sharing
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andybeveridge
    Some sound advice there and a good grounding for future success. The only thing I would add is that being on a number of lists can be useful in that you get to see how different people craft their emails. You can learn a lot about copy like that and find a style that suits you. Of course don't buy everything that is put in front of you.
    Signature

    Become a Digi Warrior and join us in the successful Dig Warrior IM Academy
    Join us at www.digiwarrior.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author phoenixseo
    Good tips to begin for the newbies!
    Thanks for posting.
    Signature
    Do you want 100-500 visitors per day to your website?Try this...

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...s-service.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andybeveridge
    The words Internet marketing means marketing online which you have to do no matter what niche you are in. I think you mean "Make money online niche" Alex2095.
    And to some degree I do agree. I try to point students to subjects that they are genuinely interested in, because it makes it that much easier to get started and they will already have some knowledge on the subject, but that is far from written in stone.
    As long as you don't fake it to make it then there is no reason why others will not be interested in your journey whatever the niche.

    There is a massive difference in these two sentences "I made 20k last month and here is how I did it" I interviewed a guy who made 20k last month and here is some of the content he shared with me"

    A person new into the IM arena could easily use the second statement and not be false at all. We all learn all the time or at least we should be.
    Signature

    Become a Digi Warrior and join us in the successful Dig Warrior IM Academy
    Join us at www.digiwarrior.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author alex2095
      Originally Posted by andybeveridge View Post

      The words Internet marketing means marketing online which you have to do no matter what niche you are in. I think you mean "Make money online niche" Alex2095.
      And to some degree I do agree. I try to point students to subjects that they are genuinely interested in, because it makes it that much easier to get started and they will already have some knowledge on the subject, but that is far from written in stone.
      As long as you don't fake it to make it then there is no reason why others will not be interested in your journey whatever the niche.

      There is a massive difference in these two sentences "I made 20k last month and here is how I did it" I interviewed a guy who made 20k last month and here is some of the content he shared with me"

      A person new into the IM arena could easily use the second statement and not be false at all. We all learn all the time or at least we should be.

      Your totally right, my bad! I meant to say MMO not IM.

      And I agree with you on the point of being a facilitator of knowledge rather than faking it until you make it...its just so obvious when looking at blogs and products who is scamming and who is genuine.

      My plan is to spend some time building an awesome website/blog not related to MMO, and when I master it and do start making money, then hey, I can now do a MMO website, properly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VidFoundry
    The take action every day thing is really a big problem for me. Sometimes I get a good streak going and decide to take my foot off the gas for a few days. Then BAM I'm behind on so much and business is suffering as a result...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    8, 8 and 8 some more! Also, network like a beast so more people can see your #8, and benefit from your value. Excellent stuff.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9032950].message }}
  • Excellent tips here. Newbies & experienced IM'ers alike can learn from this.

    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMGem
    Excellent Tips. This is the way to go..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marketeranas
    Worth Reading CAmarketing ! Your Points are good and if a newbie focus on it it can really make a good bunch out of it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033567].message }}
  • Hi CAmarketing,

    Some good points made and also a few less so. As for your replies, more of the same. I think I need to post some of my ideas on this subject here which I know some people will agree with while others will miss the point.

    I also had mentoring and learnt far more as a result than before when I listened to advice from others who most likely weren't making any money or very little? As Andrew Reynolds who made £50 Milion said, if you want to get rich, follow the rich guy. Too many people follow fake millionaires who hide behind paid actors while selling junk products.

    I also have spent far too much money on products that promised fortunes but only made them for those liars selling them before I got a mentor. And it wasn't the above mentioned. Many years ago I did his Cash On Demand course but decided Internet Marketing rather than Direct Marketing was what I wanted to do.

    Later on I paid over $6000 for a 4 week IM 1 on 1 training which made a few sales of a product but less than what it cost me. Eventually I found the mentor who changed my fortunes so that I am now earning a recurring income as an affiliate marketer but again this is a hard way to succeed unless you master traffic generation. This I am now doing and its working.

    As for creating your own product, it isn't as difficult as some think. That is the easy part. Getting others to buy it especially when nobody knows who you are or if they can trust you is the hard part. That is why building a list first and creating a strong relationship with your list is the best way to begin and continue. It is a lot easier to sell something to a related mailing list who know and like you than as an unknown?

    It doesn't really matter how long you have not had the success you desire because all that means is that you have been doing things badly. You cannot change the past but by doing things better, you can make the future brighter.

    Also never blindly accept that someone is making $6000 a day because while a few are, most who say so are liars. Make your first target to earn a $1 and then the next to get $100 a day and so on and keep resetting your goals so that you remain focused. If you fail to reach your goals, don't beat yourself up. Simply make new ones and never give up. Success only comes to those who keep on going and never to those who quit.

    Regards,

    Stephen & Jennifer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9033872].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author michael bury
      Originally Posted by Stephen and Jennifer View Post

      Hi CAmarketing,

      Some good points made and also a few less so. As for your replies, more of the same. I think I need to post some of my ideas on this subject here which I know some people will agree with while others will miss the point.

      I also had mentoring and learnt far more as a result than before when I listened to advice from others who most likely weren't making any money or very little? As Andrew Reynolds who made £50 Milion said, if you want to get rich, follow the rich guy. Too many people follow fake millionaires who hide behind paid actors while selling junk products.

      I also have spent far too much money on products that promised fortunes but only made them for those liars selling them before I got a mentor. And it wasn't the above mentioned. Many years ago I did his Cash On Demand course but decided Internet Marketing rather than Direct Marketing was what I wanted to do.

      Later on I paid over $6000 for a 4 week IM 1 on 1 training which made a few sales of a product but less than what it cost me. Eventually I found the mentor who changed my fortunes so that I am now earning a recurring income as an affiliate marketer but again this is a hard way to succeed unless you master traffic generation. This I am now doing and its working.

      As for creating your own product, it isn't as difficult as some think. That is the easy part. Getting others to buy it especially when nobody knows who you are or if they can trust you is the hard part. That is why building a list first and creating a strong relationship with your list is the best way to begin and continue. It is a lot easier to sell something to a related mailing list who know and like you than as an unknown?

      It doesn't really matter how long you have not had the success you desire because all that means is that you have been doing things badly. You cannot change the past but by doing things better, you can make the future brighter.

      Also never blindly accept that someone is making $6000 a day because while a few are, most who say so are liars. Make your first target to earn a $1 and then the next to get $100 a day and so on and keep resetting your goals so that you remain focused. If you fail to reach your goals, don't beat yourself up. Simply make new ones and never give up. Success only comes to those who keep on going and never to those who quit.

      Regards,

      Stephen & Jennifer.
      thanks for the no nonsense post Stephen, we have also done 'Cash on demand' course, well cancelled it on month 7 I think, clever guy Andrew but really IMO he was 'milking it' for all he could.

      As for mentorship, yes, done that also, didn't achieve the 'promised' results, yes I know they offer 100% refund, that is assuming you DO EVERYTHING WITHIN THE TIMESCALE...

      Would be good to connect with you & chat on how you have overcome the hurdles...

      regards

      Michael
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author serryjw
    CAMarketing...As a noob, that is STILL trying to make my first dollar, I'd like to ADD the following.
    1) Know your own skill set. Start with something that you like, comes easily and grow from there.
    2) Be realistic about your time available. If you have a F/T job and family responsibility, don't expect to work more than an hour a day.
    3) Be realistic about the money that is available to start your journey AFTER all financial obligations are paid. We hear all the time on Warrior, " I'm desperate to make XXX in the next week to pay the rent". You can't start a business that way.
    4) Be realistic on HOW MUCH & HOW FAST you are going to make money. Shoot for first dollar!

    Namaste,
    Serry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by serryjw View Post

      CAMarketing...As a noob, that is STILL trying to make my first dollar, I'd like to ADD the following.
      1) Know your own skill set. Start with something that you like, comes easily and grow from there.
      2) Be realistic about your time available. If you have a F/T job and family responsibility, don't expect to work more than an hour a day.
      3) Be realistic about the money that is available to start your journey AFTER all financial obligations are paid. We hear all the time on Warrior, " I'm desperate to make XXX in the next week to pay the rent". You can't start a business that way.
      4) Be realistic on HOW MUCH & HOW FAST you are going to make money. Shoot for first dollar!

      Namaste,
      Serry
      I actually agree here, too many times warriors want to take take take.... I spend about 1 hour of my day giving back, and creating killer content for my sites.

      Stop asking how you can make all this money and be greedy and ask yourself, how you can set yourself apart from all the other shaggy salesman, in your field. The more you give, the more the money will follow you soon after. I promise you that 100 times over. Except people do not want to put the hard yards in to do that, and then complain about it down the track. That is the irony here. :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9035542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    Sometimes you just need someone to point you in the right direction or remind you of the things that you had "forgotten".

    Oftentimes we think we need to come up with the next game changing method in order make money online. But in reality, the simple things are what work. The same things that have been working for a long time.

    People get caught up in the "next big thing" and forget to focus on the things that are working today (and worked yesterday).

    I think your post pretty much nailed it.

    Cheers,
    Coby
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gordon King
    Great tips and I really like #8 and #10.

    Why didn't you add get a mentor to your list?

    It might not be from day 1, but it will also prevent from making a lot of mistakes that have already been made.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9034559].message }}

Trending Topics