Why are you in business for yourself?

31 replies
There a massively diverse group of people here. Everyone is from different backgrounds, different countries. But we're all moving in one common direction -- toward a life built on entrepreneurship.

Why?

It's unique for everyone.

But here's a secret that few people share... when you articulate that Why and dig down really deep, you can create a new energy in your business and in your life that catapults you forward to heights previously unknown.

So I ask you... why are you in business for yourself?
#business #entrepreneurship
  • Profile picture of the author Sara Young
    I went into business for myself because I wanted to stay home with my kids and watch them grow.

    You are right. Remembering this has been incredibly powerful for me, and helped me push myself forward.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052457].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaronblevins
      Originally Posted by Sara Young View Post

      I went into business for myself because I wanted to stay home with my kids and watch them grow.

      You are right. Remembering this has been incredibly powerful for me, and helped me push myself forward.
      What better why than kids -- great share Sara!
      Signature

      College dropout turned community builder. In 2 years, I've built a community of over 250k raving fans and monetized them for thousands of dollars. Want me to help you do that too? Hit me up. www.WorkingWithBlevins.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052609].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author badonkadonkdonk
      Originally Posted by Sara Young View Post

      I went into business for myself because I wanted to stay home with my kids and watch them grow.

      You are right. Remembering this has been incredibly powerful for me, and helped me push myself forward.
      That's so beautiful.
      Signature
      Low Cost, High Risk Merchant Accounts starting at 3.5%.
      You can't beat it with a stick.
      www.theflyingmerchant.com | Skype: flyingmerchant911 | sales[@]theflyingmerchant.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Luck
    I'm in business for because I realized I was officially un-employable.

    I didn't like going to a job.

    I didn't like being told what to do.

    I didn't like having to deal with company politics.

    I didn't like the fact that my income would always be capped.

    So, I dropped out of college and quit my job to get into Affiliate Marketing back in 1999.

    Since then, I've been living a storybook life and providing an incredible lifestyle for my wife, daughters and myself.

    Between 2007 - 2013 I've generated over $25 million dollars with Membership sites.

    I'm incredibly thankful and grateful for the Internet, being able to work from home, spend time with my family and help others do the same.

    That's why I'm in business for myself :-)
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052478].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaronblevins
      Ladies and gentlemen, pay attention to this post. Chris has an incredibly powerful Why... one that has helped him make 4 million dollars a years since 2007. Now that is one powerful why!

      Originally Posted by Chris Luck View Post

      I'm in business for because I realized I was officially un-employable.

      I didn't like going to a job.

      I didn't like being told what to do.

      I didn't like having to deal with company politics.

      I didn't like the fact that my income would always be capped.

      So, I dropped out of college and quit my job to get into Affiliate Marketing back in 1999.

      Since then, I've been living a storybook life and providing an incredible lifestyle for my wife, daughters and myself.

      Between 2007 - 2013 I've generated over $25 million dollars with Membership sites.

      I'm incredibly thankful and grateful for the Internet, being able to work from home, spend time with my family and help others do the same.

      That's why I'm in business for myself :-)
      Signature

      College dropout turned community builder. In 2 years, I've built a community of over 250k raving fans and monetized them for thousands of dollars. Want me to help you do that too? Hit me up. www.WorkingWithBlevins.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052727].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris Luck
        Originally Posted by aaronblevins View Post

        Ladies and gentlemen, pay attention to this post. Chris has an incredibly powerful Why... one that has helped him make 4 million dollars a years since 2007. Now that is one powerful why!
        Thank you very much for recognizing the reason why I'm in business.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pedro Lopes
      Originally Posted by Chris Luck View Post

      I'm in business for because I realized I was officially un-employable.

      I didn't like going to a job.

      I didn't like being told what to do.

      I didn't like having to deal with company politics.

      I didn't like the fact that my income would always be capped.

      So, I dropped out of college and quit my job to get into Affiliate Marketing back in 1999.

      Since then, I've been living a storybook life and providing an incredible lifestyle for my wife, daughters and myself.

      Between 2007 - 2013 I've generated over $25 million dollars with Membership sites.

      I'm incredibly thankful and grateful for the Internet, being able to work from home, spend time with my family and help others do the same.

      That's why I'm in business for myself :-)
      This ^ is awesome!

      I'm a firm believer in having a strong 'WHY'
      If the WHY is strong enough the HOW won't bother you

      Most people quit on themselves because they think they don't have a how-to, the common case is they simply don't have a why-to.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053883].message }}
  • i always think that my business is my passions..! thats it..
    i do it with happy without stress
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Newbie11
    Awesome question! I agree that once you figure out the why then even when you face obstacles you will stick with it.

    I am in business for myself because I want my rewards and recognition to be a direct correlation with my skills, ability, and performance. Unfortunately in a corporate environment there are too many variables that determine success; race, age, social status, and office politics.

    Also, I love having the ability to create and not having to go up the chain of command for approval.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052630].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaronblevins
      It is nice to be the one where the buck stops! It's way easier to GSD (get stuff done) when you can decide TODAY to do something and not wait weeks for an approval

      Originally Posted by Newbie11 View Post

      I am in business for myself because I want my rewards and recognition to be a direct correlation with my skills, ability, and performance. Unfortunately in a corporate environment there are too many variables that determine success; race, age, social status, and office politics.

      Also, I love having the ability to create and not having to go up the chain of command for approval.
      Signature

      College dropout turned community builder. In 2 years, I've built a community of over 250k raving fans and monetized them for thousands of dollars. Want me to help you do that too? Hit me up. www.WorkingWithBlevins.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TakenAction
    I'm in business for myself because I knew I would never be able to take a corp. job and sit in a cubicle all day and live a mediocre life (no offense to anyone).

    Currently 18 and freshmen in college and in the process of building a sales funnel for a list.

    Also, I want to travel the world and have the money to do it.

    The #1 biggest regret a research found of people lying on their death beds was working too hard and not having as much fun as they wanted.

    That won't be me.
    Signature

    The best thing you can do is put yourself out there.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052631].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaronblevins
      Originally Posted by TakenAction View Post

      The #1 biggest regret a research found of people lying on their death beds was working too hard and not having as much fun as they wanted.

      That won't be me.
      Keep to your name, take consistent action and that definitely won't be you!
      Signature

      College dropout turned community builder. In 2 years, I've built a community of over 250k raving fans and monetized them for thousands of dollars. Want me to help you do that too? Hit me up. www.WorkingWithBlevins.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas Michal
    Freedom and flexibility with time
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    Because I want to run my own hours, raise my family, be with my spouse, etc.etc.etc.

    Lousy physical condition also helps there. I couldn't handle being outside 9 to 5 these days.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaronblevins
      Originally Posted by barbling View Post

      Lousy physical condition also helps there. I couldn't handle being outside 9 to 5 these days.
      Especially on days like today when it's SPRING, but still below freezing... :confused::confused::confused:

      Right, Barb??
      Signature

      College dropout turned community builder. In 2 years, I've built a community of over 250k raving fans and monetized them for thousands of dollars. Want me to help you do that too? Hit me up. www.WorkingWithBlevins.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alleyi
    I'm in business of mine because i think that i have the abilities of business person,ability to convince as well as to dominate in the market,want to create revenue through my own brand promotion and to establish it permanently
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Karol Z
    Why a business for myself?

    I hate having to cope with other peoples ideas even though I disagree with them. When working with others, the variable of trust usually comes into play. I don't trust people very easily and therefore having my own business is great. There's also the economic benefits of working on your own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author badonkadonkdonk
    ... because I can't imagine doing the 9 to 5 thing with a smile on my face. Plus, I believe that people should always do what they love most. Settling is not an option in my book. Do what you love or just shrivel up and die, all bitter, unfulfilled and unenlightened --- what a fricken waste, huh?
    Signature
    Low Cost, High Risk Merchant Accounts starting at 3.5%.
    You can't beat it with a stick.
    www.theflyingmerchant.com | Skype: flyingmerchant911 | sales[@]theflyingmerchant.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Tandan
    Freedom for sure. Plus, gotta admit, I like working in pyjamas. At least before 9...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053100].message }}
  • I hate a great job as a graphic designer and was on my way to being art direction, when I got really sick.

    I had to quit. I didn't get better. I wasn't going to try to get disability, so I started my first online business, which was making web sites, back when flash was just getting started, back when there was good money in websites.

    But then that died, so I went to my illustration and graphic design roots, getting freelance jobs at places like Elance and such.

    Then I started teaching how to draw and digitally paint on Youtube, like in 2006. I learned how to create Youtube channels that earn money. Been doing that since.

    I've also been studying and doing marketing for a while now, so been breaking into that area. I know I could teach others how to use Youtube the way I do to get massive traffic. I might do a course on that next.

    Anyway, some years back I was healed, so not sick anymore.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JCorp
    The big "WHY"... that's what it's all about... that's what's going to keep you in the game when things don't go "your way"...

    My WHY is simply freedom... to not be tied down to anyone or anything... to not have to rely on the government or on anyone... and to live a life that's spontaneous, rewarding and filled with purpose... and then to pass that down to my kids.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geeked Labs
    I'm in business so I can escape reality.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    Why?
    Because I want more freedom, more money and more prosperity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author naidyphoon
    Why? Because I've witnessed first-hand the ramifications of trading (too many) hours for dollars. Plus I'm inherently unemployable lol... I too, dropped out of college at the age of 19, which, where I come from is considered a cardinal sin punishable by exile lol.. I hope to emulate the results achieved by Chris Luck one day But the answer to the OP's question would be time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seonutshell
    I just wanna be rich
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jenrlo
    I am in business for myself to create the life that I want to lead and which gives me the freedom to spend time with family and not be dictated to by the norms of society.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    I like the freedom of being my own boss.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aatif1
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054063].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author heavysm
      I'm in business for my customers because there's a lot of crap out there in the markets I'm in and my customers trust me to guide them to what's good.

      The profit I make is a side effect of helping them. It's a good side effect, it's a beautiful side effect and it fits me well because I genuinely enjoy helping others.

      The whole purpose of my business is to leave my customers and prospects in a better situation than had they not dealt with me. Most people are about $$ and nothing else. That's not how I roll.

      I think expanding your vision to take in the larger picture can help to make your actions far more worth while. Some don't agree with my methodology, and that's fine. But it's worked extremely well for me so far.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author uklistingz
    I am working with business directories , seo and internet marketing . The beauty of this field is that you can work at home as well and earn money when you have your product optimized
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jared L
    Hi,

    My reasons are a little here and there..

    First, I found myself unemployable after a retrenchment. I send many applications and went to many job interviews, but none worked out.. There was no offer.. (And I was glad..)

    The other was my little girl. I realized that I had spent too much out at work and missed a lot of her growing up. I decided that I have to spend more time at home, watching her grow up.

    Last but not least, neglecting my girl means missing out on a lot of time with my partner as well. And I want to make it up to them. And repay them big time and big money!!

    Cheers!
    Signature
    A Successful Online Business...
    Click Here For To Learn More!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alice12345
    Why I started online business?

    There is about 2 to 3 years back, my father had a minor stroke. He could not work in his full time jobs. So, he spend all his time at home. He is trying way to earn money at home. I saw his hardwork. But people around us keep saying that working online is not possible. Its always full of scam.

    After he had a major stroke currently, he cant do that anymore. He is now a bedridden patient.

    I started the online business is to make my dad proud and prove that working online full time is possible.

    Why I keep working hard online?

    I want to spend more time with him. My lovely dad who take good care of me when I was small. Spend more time with family and friend which is most important asset in our life.

    I guess my reason I started my online business is little bit special. Or maybe just like some of you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054261].message }}

Trending Topics