Changes are coming to the Warrior Forum, but what?

68 replies
We will be dedicating engineers to build features
I am only guessing here, but why do I get the feeling they will be building an affiliate platform for the WSO section? I always wondered why Allen never did it, but then again, he didn't have the resources that Freelancer.com has.

Freelancer.com makes money on every gig that goes down, so why would they leave money on the table here on WF? Third party sites like warriorplus and JVzoo have made millions, by offering these services, so why not the WF?

People are screaming about a ratings system, which can be gamed just like the first page of WSO's are littered with cronies and people, who's sole purpose there is to kiss ass. But with an affiliate platform, they can give Warriors access to stats, like amount of sales, refund rates and other stats that can't be manipulated so easy.

Like I said I am only guessing, but I can't see the new owners allowing that kind of money to leak to third party platforms, I would put the probability at 100% that it's in the works

Would it be good for us? I think so competition is always good, especially when sellers have been building these 3rd party processors a monster list, that they use to make money from our products, before sellers can even send out the "it's live" email.

Of course I will feel like a jack ass if they don't build an affiliate platform, but no way they leave that kind of money one the table, especially when you have the engineers in house to do so. You can only make so much money from banners and WSO fee's. They can easily double or triple their revenue by building an in house affiliate platform
#coming #forum #warrior
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    Let's wait and see. The changes on WSO costs is enough for me for the meantime... and I'm happy with that..
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113558].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author professorrosado
      It would still be a third party"ish" alternative, would it not?
      It would need to be phased in, as there are many WSOs (older ones which re-open from time to time) using various other portals at this point.

      Why should the forum change its successful ambiance?
      We think that fancy bells and whistles will enhance the forum, but Flippa,com
      is just one example of a good idea gone to the trash because of its bells and whistles.

      It started off well but blossomed with technological splendor only to destroy
      its value to most warriors as a viable selling resource for value sites.

      With all the worry about WSO quality (past / present / future) doing any tinkering with the selling threads should be done with some care. It could make or break this forum.

      I'm sure the new owners could have built a platform (and have) of their own - they certainly have way more members / users on their core platform. I find it difficult to justify the buying of the Warrior Forum with a mind to change one of its central features and/or other innate qualities which made the forum successful and to operate professionally as it does today.

      I would seek only to improve and enhance the present state of affairs with the addition of a proper mechanism to receive feedback from the community and tweak the forums along the way - preserving its salient quality and character.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113636].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Prof,

        They don't need to change much to make that happen. Just make it an option, with maybe a few perqs for bestsellers.

        It's not a hard sell or tough pitch. Especially when you consider that there's a company behind it, not a solopreneur.


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awledd
    I am seeing "warrior forum jooins the freelancer.com family" notification. I hope it is not aquirement or something.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Alex,
    I am only guessing here, but why do I get the feeling they will be building an affiliate platform for the WSO section? I always wondered why Allen never did it, but then again, he didn't have the resources that Freelancer.com has.
    You shortchange our fearless leader in shameful ways. If you don't believe Allen probably had contingency plans in place for this stuff, you don't know him well at all. He very likely didn't do it as a matter of loyalty.

    That said, I agree with you. Freelancer is unlikely to ignore the income potential available from offering an affiliate system here. If I were them, I'd run it across the entire "for sale" sub-section of the site. And maybe make deals for banners with EPCs that reach a certain level.

    I like Mike and Brian and Bryan, but Freelancer is operating as a publicly traded company. Different rules, different decisions.

    If I were their CFO, I'd insist on rolling it out ASAP.


    Paul
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author writeaway
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Alex,You shortchange our fearless leader in shameful ways. If you don't believe Allen probably had contingency plans in place for this stuff, you don't know him well at all. He very likely didn't do it as a matter of loyalty.

      That said, I agree with you. Freelancer is unlikely to ignore the income potential available from offering an affiliate system here. If I were them, I'd run it across the entire "for sale" sub-section of the site. And maybe make deals for banners with EPCs that reach a certain level.

      I like Mike and Brian and Bryan, but Freelancer is operating as a publicly traded company. Different rules, different decisions.

      If I were their CFO, I'd insist on rolling it out ASAP.


      Paul
      It would be cool if they factor in a DISCOUNT COUPON affiliate functionality like that used by Hostgator. It will be huuuuuge. Lots of digital products to promote all with their own discount coupon codes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113946].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Alex,You shortchange our fearless leader in shameful ways. If you don't believe Allen probably had contingency plans in place for this stuff, you don't know him well at all. He very likely didn't do it as a matter of loyalty.

      That said, I agree with you. Freelancer is unlikely to ignore the income potential available from offering an affiliate system here. If I were them, I'd run it across the entire "for sale" sub-section of the site. And maybe make deals for banners with EPCs that reach a certain level.

      I like Mike and Brian and Bryan, but Freelancer is operating as a publicly traded company. Different rules, different decisions.

      If I were their CFO, I'd insist on rolling it out ASAP.


      Paul
      Yep. Fully agree. It's an obvious move and a change more easily made by new corporate ownership. Especially a non-US based corporation shielding individual owners from liability issues.

      The PIPS subforum is hardly mentioned here on the main board, but undoubtedly will be given a close review. Talk about loyalty.

      I'd also give a certain moderator a huge raise.

      Tech stability would be huge.

      I never discount loyalty because I feel it trumps so many other issues, especially when it comes to money. At least for me it is more important.

      But freelancer has an obligation to try and recoup its investment. Different loyalty issue.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115569].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Brian,
        The PIPS subforum is hardly mentioned here on the main board, but undoubtedly will be given a close review. Talk about loyalty.
        Indeed.

        Another point I haven't seen mentioned is a question that occurred to me right away. What will be their policy on all those Fiverr-related threads and offers? That's direct competition.

        All sorts of little nuances and details...


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    You shortchange our fearless leader in shameful ways. If you don't believe Allen probably had contingency plans in place for this stuff, you don't know him well at all. He very likely didn't do it as a matter of loyalty.
    I didn't mean to short change Allen I'm sure he has thought about it in the past, but I have no idea why it wasn't done before. My guess was the cost of creating it, but I believe you when you say it was out of loyalty.

    I like Mike and Brian and Bryan, but Freelancer is operating as a publicly traded company. Different rules, different decisions.
    I thought the same exact thing... They have a gold mine of potential revenue here with the acquisition of the WF. It's a win win for both Allen and Freelancer... Allen gets rewarded for his 17 years of hard work, and Freelancer acquires an untapped gold mine.

    It would still be a third party"ish" alternative, would it not?
    It would need to be phased in, as there are many WSOs (older ones which re-open from time to time) using various other portals at this point
    I'm not saying cut out the other portals, I meant offering the service themselves to get some of that money. I'm not sure they would cut off the current 3rd parties as an option, but WF may be able to offer some services that the others cannot. I'm sure many would give WF a shot, if they came out with their own affiliate platform.

    There is nothing wrong with a company getting their piece of the pie. For a while W+ was raking in boatloads of money, until JVzoo decided to get their piece of the pie.

    good idea gone to the trash because of its bells and whistles.
    I don't see having an in house affiliate system in place, as bells and whistles. Most sellers use it as an option, regardless if it's W+, JVzoo or WF's own platform. It is an option, that helps many warriors without "connections" to find affiliate's.

    If I were their CFO, I'd insist on rolling it out ASAP.
    I can only guess it's in the works... I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the plans before the sale even took place.
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113666].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Johnny Slater
    Alex, the cost of creating a full fledged sales and affiliate platform built directly into the forum would be no more that a few thousand dollars at most.

    I played with creating my own platform to compete with Warrior+ and JVZoo some time ago and it only took me about a week of coding to have the core functions worked out, and that was working alone.

    As far as if the new owners have plans for this I do not know, but I do know they are interested in tracking WSO's and will be working on their own systems that will fully track new WSO posting and bumps. I'm not sure to what extent they will be building outward but I do know they plan on some serious backend upgrades to the WSO section.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mogaz
    I am not sure if this move will draw more junk to the forum or we'll be able to see some more real stuff. What ever it is I am looking forward to that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Alex, the cost of creating a full fledged sales and affiliate platform built directly into the forum would be no more that a few thousand dollars at most.
    I have no idea what the price to build is, but I'm sure it will cost more than a few grand, unless you know how to build them yourself

    As far as if the new owners have plans for this I do not know, but I do know they are interested in tracking WSO's and will be working on their own systems that will fully track new WSO posting and bumps. I'm not sure to what extent they will be building outward but I do know they plan on some serious backend upgrades to the WSO section.
    I agree... they will track the posting and bumps, and most of the new revenue will have to come from that section.
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    If Freelancer does build an affiliate functionality for WSOs, what will happen with WarriorPlus? Isn't WarriorPlus NOT affiliated with WF?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113958].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
      Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

      If Freelancer does build an affiliate functionality for WSOs, what will happen with WarriorPlus? Isn't WarriorPlus NOT affiliated with WF?
      Nothing... Their piece of affiliate software pie will get smaller, but they will continue to make money hand over fist. Also, they have everyone's buyers list, so they will be just fine. I don't think Lantz will be going to bed hungry anytime soon
      Signature
      " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
      But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

      ~ Jeff Bezos

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113977].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
        Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

        Nothing... Their piece of affiliate software pie will get smaller, but they will continue to make money hand over fist. Also, they have everyone's buyers list, so they will be just fine. I don't think Lantz will be going to bed hungry anytime soon
        I could see Mike having to change his platforms name and even start paying access to scrape to forum and automate some of the things he does.

        -g
        Signature
        Screw You, NameCheap!
        $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

        SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116394].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tom B
          Banned
          Originally Posted by GarrieWilson View Post

          I could see Mike having to change his platforms name and even start paying access to scrape to forum and automate some of the things he does.

          -g
          Yep, I was thinking the same thing. To be honest, they should protect their property.

          There is always confusion as to whom owns W+.

          If I was Mike, I would be rolling with changes expecting it to happen.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118615].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
            Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

            Yep, I was thinking the same thing. To be honest, they should protect their property.
            Never know, they might be try to buy it.

            -g
            Signature
            Screw You, NameCheap!
            $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

            SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118814].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author guitarizma
              Banned
              The purchase is new, but Freelancer has undoubtedly made it evident that they have a BIG business plan in mind by slashing War Room and WSO prices overnight and changes ARE going to be there. But, if you look at Freelancer.com (I mean the flexibility and laid back yet professional approach) and compare that with some lesser know freelance sites, you'd see they are interested in making money by "making it easy" for people. So, I don't think this forum is going to have some throat constricting set of rules in the near future.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123356].message }}
  • I'll take a wild guess here, more rules (restrictions). That seams the way everything in our life goes.
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Isn't WarriorPlus NOT affiliated with WF?
      Double negative there so not sure if you are saying it is or isnt...so...

      No, it's an independent site developed by a WF member who had a great idea and made it work. JVZoo is the same.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    I'd like to see a Warrior Dating forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      I'd like to see a Warrior Dating forum.
      With some of the avatars floating around, I consider that a "blind" ad.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114805].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
        I imagine a big percentage of the women here are men e-whoring, so I don't think it would be a good idea to have a dating section. A face recognition software like Facebook has to check some of these avatrars against porn site avatars, would be nice :p
        Signature
        " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
        But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

        ~ Jeff Bezos

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114865].message }}
    • Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      I'd like to see a Warrior Dating forum.
      Will that be a WSO?
      Signature
      soon people... Relax...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115368].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Originally Posted by HelpingYouBeAnExpert View Post

        Will that be a WSO?
        I do not even want to see the refund requests on that one...
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rakhwas
    I don't think there will be that much changes actually.

    I think they keep it this way and lower the price of WSO / Bump, to get more people to do it.
    and boom higher income for them lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    JVzoo and W+ allow for self-hosted products as well.

    Add an affiliate/vendor system to WF and there would then be one more.

    ie, another opportunity to reach another sector of the IM marketspace.

    I now generally try to launch my products on the WF, on my own self-hosted page, and on my own affiliate program.

    The thing you need to realize is you HAVE to build your business for *you*.

    Grow your own list.

    Build your own authority.

    NEVER be dependent upon the WF or any site *you do not own* to keep your business happy and mooing.

    Always look at new developments (that you cannot control anyways) as opportunities to grow.

    My data points.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sidenote
    I think the change is awesome, I have been a regular user of freelancer for quite some time and have found the services to be satisfactory. Now, it will be interesting to see how freelancer.com integrates its services with the WF.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    It wouldn't take long for them to recoup their investment. It was sold pretty cheap. As for changes, the history of freelancer.com acquisitions being redirected to freelancer.com doesn't fill me with any confidence that they have any real plans to develop the WF and keep it run independently from freelancer.

    I'm not even certain why webmaster-talk.com would interest them, and what they got from it before it was redirected, but that's what happened to that forum.

    Same with Scriptlance, and numerous other properties they acquired.

    I can see the for Hire and Want to Hire sections being of some interest to them in the form of cannabalization ... attempting to integrate that into freelancer, because those sections deal directly with what freelancer is all about.

    Sorry to be such a skeptic, but when I see all those redirected sites, I have to wonder why would they change their MO now?

    I remember my first office job. I loved it ... then it was bought by another company. We were all told that our jobs were secure. Two weeks later, the notices that "your job has been eliminated" were sent out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115608].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
      I understand your skepticism sbucciarel... but I can't see them paying 3.2 million for a redirect. Most of the warriors don't code and most don't use freelancer.com, it will just kill off what ever traffic it redirects there.

      There is still money to be made from the WF and now webmaster-talk.com is redirected to this domain. I think they will recoup their money soon enough, they just need to keep some of the money from leaking out. Lantz and Brian made a fortune from this forum, so I expect freelancer to capitalize on that also.
      Signature
      " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
      But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

      ~ Jeff Bezos

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115644].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

        webmaster-talk.com now redirects to the Warrior Forum.

        .
        Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

        I understand your skepticism sbucciarel... but I can't see them paying 3.2 million for a redirect. Most of the warriors don't code and most don't use freelancer.com, it will just kill off what ever traffic it redirects there.

        There is still money to be made from the WF and now webmaster-talk.com is redirected to this domain. I think they will recoup their money soon enough, they just need to keep some of the money from leaking out. Lantz and Brian made a fortune from this forum, so I expect freelancer to capitalize on that also.
        That's funny ... I just tried it twice and I went straight to freelancer.com.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115650].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          That's funny ... I just tried it twice and I went straight to freelancer.com.
          Maybe it's still propagating, because it brought me here.
          Signature
          " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
          But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

          ~ Jeff Bezos

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115654].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

            Maybe it's still propagating, because it brought me here.
            Well, that's interesting. I don't imagine they'd redirect webmaster-talk to here and then redirect WF to freelancer. lol.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115658].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
              Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

              Well, that's interesting. I don't imagine they'd redirect webmaster-talk to here and then redirect WF to freelancer. lol.
              Lol

              Now that they have share holders, they have an obligation to make money. I really think they can turn a profit, as long as they don't do anything extreme to drive the Warriors away.
              Signature
              " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
              But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

              ~ Jeff Bezos

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115676].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author writeaway
        Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

        I understand your skepticism sbucciarel... but I can't see them paying 3.2 million for a redirect. Most of the warriors don't code and most don't use freelancer.com, it will just kill off what ever traffic it redirects there.

        There is still money to be made from the WF and now webmaster-talk.com is redirected to this domain. I think they will recoup their money soon enough, they just need to keep some of the money from leaking out. Lantz and Brian made a fortune from this forum, so I expect freelancer to capitalize on that also.
        They are paying for MARKET SHARE. It would be sad if the WFH section is simply redirected to freelancer.com Still, if they did, I hope they would let providers keep their positive reviews. I have racked up quite a lot of positive reviews and it would suck to start from scratch.....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116160].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I'm not even certain why webmaster-talk.com would interest them
      The overhaul to that forum suggested they wanted it to be where you learn to make money online and then buy the labor through Freelancer.

      They were clearly trying to nudge it in the direction of WarriorForum's atmosphere, so it seems this is the forum they wanted all along but tried to emulate it first.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116379].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by DubDubDubDot View Post

        The overhaul to that forum suggested they wanted it to be where you learn to make money online and then buy the labor through Freelancer.

        They were clearly trying to nudge it in the direction of WarriorForum's atmosphere, so it seems this is the forum they wanted all along but tried to emulate it first.
        Well, if that's the case, then the risk is alienation of the very community that makes this forum great, IMO. One thing is for certain ... all of us are just along for the ride. Freelancer bought WF ... Warriors did not buy Freelancer. In another post, I already posted why the Warriors for Hire and Wanted: Members Looking to Hire You sections are valuable to me, and it doesn't have anything to do with cheap offshore labor.

        I buy from my "friends" here who have bothered to build a reputation and the customers I've had here as well feel like ... friends. It's a community that is, for the most part, savvy enough that they already were aware of all of the freelancing platforms out there. Some of us use other platforms, and some of us prefer to help other Warriors do well.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9117106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alice12345
    Let wait and see how it goes. Can they stopped shaking hand if everything gone bad? Just curious.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    The purchase is still new and there is a lot the new owners need to learn about this place, the community, the culture here, and get a good feel for what goes on here. It may take them weeks, even months before you start seeing any major changes, if any.

    Clearly this forum has grown and has been successful for many reasons, I think a wise business decision would be to first see what makes this place so successful before making too many tweaks because one of the main components on what makes this place so freakin' great is the community that's here.

    Sure we have our share of annoying personalities, whiners, scarcity-thinkers, etc. but hey, the WF is the size of a fairly large city, so that's to be expected. But there are also plenty of seasoned business people here, authors, product creators, hard-core marketers, part-timers, single parents, college students, senior citizens, speakers, coaches from other niches, and just about everything in between, many which genuinely want to help others.

    It's a very smart purchase and this forum still hasn't reached it's potential yet and both Allen and the buyer's know this.

    If the new owner's realize the core principles that make this community great, it can only get better and they'll be able to increase their own profits in the process.

    Who knows? Maybe they'll bring back the Friday night Warrior chats or have free or low-cost webinars with high-value content for members who want to participate in that kind of thing.

    Only time will tell. I'd like to speculate, but I'm going to sit back and give it some time. The new owners have got a lot to learn and from where I'm sitting, they've already rolled up their sleeves and they're doing their homework.

    I wish them the best with this new endeavor.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116196].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
      Rod, I think they already did most of what you mentioned here before making an offer to buy the forum.

      No one drops 3 million on a thing like this without first knowing a crap ton about it before hand. I'm sure they did their due diligence and have been looking at the forum for sometime now.

      I just don't understand how people can believe that the new owners don't already know what's going on here. They know full well.

      Originally Posted by Rod Cortez View Post

      The purchase is still new and there is a lot the new owners need to learn about this place, the community, the culture here, and get a good feel for what goes on here. It may take them weeks, even months before you start seeing any major changes, if any.

      Clearly this forum has grown and has been successful for many reasons, I think a wise business decision would be to first see what makes this place so successful before making too many tweaks because one of the main components on what makes this place so freakin' great is the community that's here.

      Sure we have our share of annoying personalities, whiners, scarcity-thinkers, etc. but hey, the WF is the size of a fairly large city, so that's to be expected. But there are also plenty of seasoned business people here, authors, product creators, hard-core marketers, part-timers, single parents, college students, senior citizens, speakers, coaches from other niches, and just about everything in between, many which genuinely want to help others.

      It's a very smart purchase and this forum still hasn't reached it's potential yet and both Allen and the buyer's know this.

      If the new owner's realize the core principles that make this community great, it can only get better and they'll be able to increase their own profits in the process.

      Who knows? Maybe they'll bring back the Friday night Warrior chats or have free or low-cost webinars with high-value content for members who want to participate in that kind of thing.

      Only time will tell. I'd like to speculate, but I'm going to sit back and give it some time. The new owners have got a lot to learn and from where I'm sitting, they've already rolled up their sleeves and they're doing their homework.

      I wish them the best with this new endeavor.

      RoD
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9117136].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
        Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

        Rod, I think they already did most of what you mentioned here before making an offer to buy the forum.
        Rus, I have no doubt due diligence was performed from a numbers standpoint and they probably dove into the forum membership to get a feel for it, but it takes time to really get to know a community of this size and magnitude.

        No one drops 3 million on a thing like this without first knowing a crap ton about it before hand. I'm sure they did their due diligence and have been looking at the forum for sometime now.
        I've been part of deals where people dropped more money than that without doing enough due diligence, so that's not always the case. My main point is that it takes time to get to know a forum of this size, no matter how much research you do before buying it. There are a lot of subtle nuances that I never even imagined until I saw what happened on the other side as a moderator. There is a lot to know about this forum.

        I just don't understand how people can believe that the new owners don't already know what's going on here. They know full well.
        Well, for one thing I've seen it happen many times. There are plenty of deals in the business world where enough due diligence isn't performed and as a person who buys and sells companies, I never assume that the other party has done their part because sometimes that isn't the case.

        I'm not saying that they don't know what's already going on here from the business side of things, but the questions I've been asked by them so far tells me they still have a learning curve to deal with, especially in getting to know this community. I've been here longer than most members and I'm still learning stuff about this place.

        RoD
        Signature
        "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
        - Jim Rohn
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9117751].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Rod,
          it takes time to really get to know a community of this size and magnitude.
          Or communities, which is really the case here.

          OT is a very different animal from the copywriters section, which is a separate community from the SEO crowd, who live in the same section as the PPC community. The CPA folks have their own culture, which is driven by completely different rules from the offliners, who share a lot in common with the related community of mobile marketers.

          Then there are the social groups, which are more like clubs than communities. They don't have much impact on the forum as a whole, but they matter to their members.

          Anyone who wants to see a good example of just how different the various groups can be should spend some time in the offline marketing section and then go read a dozen or so long threads in the copywriting area. Two completely different worlds, despite sharing some members.

          Both are valuable, but they require different approaches.

          The topical sub-sections tend to develop their own "rules," and do well when mostly left alone. Some can't be left alone, or they'll spin out in a matter of a week or so.

          The only "big picture" is contained in the rules. The rest is a photo album, with snapshots that change over time.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketingdynasty
    This is an interesting turn of events. I hope Freelancer doesn't make major changes that effects the culture and community of the Warrior Forum in a negative way. I actually like Freelancer.com, so it will be interesting to see what Freelancer.com does with the Warrior Forum now that they own it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobinInTexas
    It will be interesting to see if and when they set up their own W+ / JVzoo function, or they could save some time and energy by buying one of them.

    If they negotiated with both of them signalling that they were committed to buying one, they might even drive the purchase price down.
    Signature

    Robin



    ...Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just set there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9117535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Rod, I think they already did most of what you mentioned here before making an offer to buy the forum.

    No one drops 3 million on a thing like this without first knowing a crap ton about it before hand. I'm sure they did their due diligence and have been looking at the forum for sometime now.

    I just don't understand how people can believe that the new owners don't already know what's going on here. They know full well.
    I agree with Dubdubdubdot when he said they tried to emulate the WF by buying Webmaster Talk, I really think they had WF on their radar the whole time.

    I think before they even reached out to Allen, they may have had a meeting, and already had a plan on what to do with the WF if they were able to buy it. They know what they are doing... I expect them to monetize the site more, but don't think they will mess with the culture here.

    It will be interesting to see if and when they set up their own W+ / JVzoo function, or they could save some time and energy by buying one of them.
    I imagine they already have engineers on the payroll, so they will most likely build their own. No sense in spending millions more, when you can have one built in house

    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just set there.
    Love your signature Robin, great quote
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9117644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garytanuser
    Wow - 3 million for this Forum - that's great!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9117650].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    I wouldn't be surprised if WF bought W+ outright.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bwh1
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      I wouldn't be surprised if WF bought W+ outright.
      First it looks like a logical move but the cost wouldn't be justifiable if you have your own in house coders to setup an affiliate program fairly cheap, unless you would get the leads from W+ what I doubt Mike is handing out.

      G.
      Signature

      Affiliates Wanted! Make anywhere from 42,- to $72 in commissions. Simply Recommend the Best QuickBooks Pro Video Course available at Clickbank.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118871].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom B
        Banned
        Originally Posted by bwh1 View Post

        First it looks like a logical move but the cost wouldn't be justifiable if you have your own in house coders to setup an affiliate program fairly cheap, unless you would get the leads from W+ what I doubt Mike is handing out.

        G.
        I agree especially if they can tap current code/resources they already have at freelancer.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    I would set it up so that WarriorForum handles the WSO payments and has the authority to issue refunds. Shut out Warrior+, JVzoo and everyone else. Have an in-house affiliate program. A WSO ratings system could then be built around this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119025].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by DubDubDubDot View Post

      I would set it up so that WarriorForum handles the WSO payments and has the authority to issue refunds. Shut out Warrior+, JVzoo and everyone else. Have an in-house affiliate program. A WSO ratings system could then be built around this.
      Another possibility with that idea is that serial refunders could be blocked from buying anything.
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
      Originally Posted by DubDubDubDot View Post

      I would set it up so that WarriorForum handles the WSO payments and has the authority to issue refunds. Shut out Warrior+, JVzoo and everyone else. Have an in-house affiliate program. A WSO ratings system could then be built around this.
      Who knows, Freelancer has no ties to W+ or JVzoo, they could cut them out completely. Guess we have to wait and see what happens.

      As far as the WF handling the WSO payments, that is very possible, I'd say inevitable since they handle the payments on Freelancer.com.

      If I had shareholders to answer to, I think I'd have to do the same if it was my forum.
      Signature
      " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
      But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

      ~ Jeff Bezos

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119582].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edyjia
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119697].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
      A lot of guessing here in this thread, but not very rational thinking.

      Why would they consider doing major changes to this forum? It's the number one IM forum on the planet, the WSO section is super popular and surely makes tons of money.

      There's a saying in sports which is easily applicable here: "Never change a winning team."

      All i see is a company who bought another profitable asset, no major changes ahead folks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119739].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
        Originally Posted by JensSteyaert View Post

        A lot of guessing here in this thread, but not very rational thinking.

        Why would they consider doing major changes to this forum? It's the number one IM forum on the planet, the WSO section is super popular and surely makes tons of money.

        There's a saying in sports which is easily applicable here: "Never change a winning team."

        All i see is a company who bought another profitable asset, no major changes ahead folks
        I'm sorry but business doesn't work that way lol

        I don't know the numbers, but much does it cost to run this forum? The traffic this forum gets is massive, I don't think the Hostgator $9.99/month unlimited plan applies here.

        After overhead, how much is the WSO section and banner ads really bringing in? I'm sure it's a nice profit for people like you and me, but is it enough to split among share holders? of course not :p

        What about the 3.2 million they paid to purchase the forum? Where does the money to recoup that come from? I don't think they will be waiting 10, 20 years to turn a profit. Change is coming, you can believe that .

        P.S. Championship sports teams get broken up all the time, almost always after they win it. I'm not saying change is bad, but we have to expect them to try and increase revenue. I personally don't have a problem with them trying to make money.
        Signature
        " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
        But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

        ~ Jeff Bezos

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119780].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
          Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

          I'm sorry but business doesn't work that way lol

          I don't know the numbers, but much does it cost to run this forum? The traffic this forum gets is massive, I don't think the Hostgator $9.99/month unlimited plan applies here.

          After overhead, how much are the WSO section and banner ads really bringing in? I'm sure it's a nice profit for people like you and me, but is it enough to split among share holders? of course not :p

          What about the 3.2 million they paid to purchase the forum? where does the money to recoup that come from? I don't think they will be waiting 10, 20 years to turn a profit. Change is coming, you can believe that .

          P.S, Championship sports teams get broken up all the time, almost always after they win it
          Their company is Freelancer.com, not Warriorforum.com...

          Freelancer.com is worth $1.2 billion and they bought the Warriorforum for $3.2 million.

          You say: "What about the 3.2 million they paid to purchase the forum? where does the money to recoup that come from? I don't think they will be waiting 10, 20 years to turn a profit. Change is coming, you can believe that ."

          You seriously think they won't promote their main company here and the only income they will get is from Wso listings and banner ads??

          You're missing some vital numbers in your calculations and i'm sure they'll make their money back within a couple of years max without making any changes

          So before that i don't see any changes happening...

          PS: They are winning but they haven't won just yet, big difference
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119860].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bwh1
        Originally Posted by JensSteyaert View Post

        Why would they consider doing major changes to this forum? It's the number one IM forum on the planet, the WSO section is super popular and surely makes tons of money.
        While that is correct, it only means that they have a bit more time to implement changes.

        This is an asset, and like every asset it has a potential which will be explored for max return.

        That's just how it is in public held companies. Privately owned ones, like when the WF was still Allen's baby, act sometimes against "money principles" because they value ethics and history on a same level.

        Allen must be a very honorable and ethical person so "monetizing WF" was not his first priority.

        Freelancer has no ties to those issues and will undoubtedly improve ROI wherever possible as a logical step , where having it's own affiliate program is most probably the fastest and best opportunity to make a lot more money from WF without changing the Forum or interfere in the community.

        And as said, 3.2 Million was cheap, wonder why Allen sold so short.

        G.
        Signature

        Affiliates Wanted! Make anywhere from 42,- to $72 in commissions. Simply Recommend the Best QuickBooks Pro Video Course available at Clickbank.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119908].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
          You seriously think they won't promote their main company here and the only income they will get is from Wso listings and banner ads??
          They might add a banner to it, but everyone here already knows about Freelancer.com.Warriors prefer to outsource to other warriors, and use freelancer for things like scripts and software already.

          Freelancer.com gets a piece of every transaction that goes down, and what makes you think they won't try to process payments here. If you think about it, the WSO section is a mini Freelancer.com, it just needs to be monetized more

          They said the WF would run independent, and I believe them... But I also believe they will try and process payments here on the WF, they'd be foolish not to.

          It's hard to know how much profit they make, since we don't know the overhead and profits. I always thought the WF made over a mil a year, but after the 3.2 mil sale, it's hard to get an accurate estimate on the profits. I always thought the WF would fetch more than 10 mil, espeically with the WSO section being pretty much an untapped gold mine, but that's not the case. Even though I thought the WF was worth 8 digits, I always suspected W+ made more money, the money leaked out of the WSO section is massive.

          It's true WF is an asset, but we know web properties can lose value fast. AOL found out the hard way, when they paid 500 million for a site, and ended up selling it back for a million. I expect them to start processing payments or the very least offer it, and they should. WF is not guaranteed to be here in 4 or 10 years, so naturally they will look to increase revenue as soon as possible.
          Signature
          " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
          But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

          ~ Jeff Bezos

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119990].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author bwh1
            Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

            They said the WF would run independent, and I believe them...
            I just hope that this is correct.

            After investigating a bit about Freelancer.com and it's reputation as a business overall I could find good and bad stuff, as always.

            But what made me a bit worry was an article from a guy which used it, and also the vWorker site.

            You can read it here oDesk vs Freelancer.com Review. An Employers Perspective | Sandip Sekhon

            It's about a business practice I think is absolutely disgusting, even if Bank's are using it and several other sites, like Clickbank, what is charging a fee for INACTIVITY.

            In other words it's a penalty for not using an account at a site, what in the owners view force people to use it - or to get lost. It's maybe a short terms benefit in terms of profit for the owners but I believe that it has more negative impact on a long term.

            If that kind of policy will take place in the WF for whom runs WSO's and WFH, I know which one of the two options I choose.

            There is no indication that this will happen, but it can.

            G.
            Signature

            Affiliates Wanted! Make anywhere from 42,- to $72 in commissions. Simply Recommend the Best QuickBooks Pro Video Course available at Clickbank.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123001].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TelZilla
              Originally Posted by bwh1 View Post

              It's about a business practice I think is absolutely disgusting, even if Bank's are using it and several other sites, like Clickbank, what is charging a fee for INACTIVITY.
              while it is technically possible for them to charge a fee for inactivity, it would be an incredibly stupid move for them to make. I don't see them ever doing it. It would kill this forum in short order.
              Signature
              Don't get so wrapped up in making money that you forget the important things in life.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123042].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
                my 2 cents.

                From a personal view of being a member of the warrior forum the new owners seem less than friendly for one reason. No email from warrior forum mentioning anything.

                As far as affiliate programs I don't think that would be happening at least not right away.

                Some people have grown used to services like JVzoo and Warriorplus so there's brand loyalty involved. Get rid of them and you get rid of your paying customers and then run the risk of JVzoo and Warriorplus starting their own forums.
                Signature
                Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123134].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
                  Originally Posted by Walter Parrish View Post

                  From a personal view of being a member of the warrior forum the new owners seem less than friendly for one reason. No email from warrior forum mentioning anything.
                  Not true. As well as the original email from Allen Says announcing the deal, the Chief Executive of Freelancer.com, Matt Barrie, sent a broadcast email to members on April 16th introducing himself and his company.

                  You may not have received it, or it may have been misdirected (check your spam folder), but it was sent.


                  Frank
                  Signature
                  TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123159].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
                    Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

                    Not true. As well as the original email from Allen Says announcing the deal, the Chief Executive of Freelancer.com, Matt Barrie, sent a broadcast email to members on April 16th introducing himself and his company.

                    You may not have received it, or it may have been misdirected (check your spam folder), but it was sent.


                    Frank
                    lol now I assume you know more about me than I do.

                    RERead what I typed. From a PERSONAL point of view. My view not yours or anyone else, but mines. Not only did I not receive the email, but I also haven't received a response from the new owner via Facebook.
                    Signature
                    Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123198].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
                      Originally Posted by Walter Parrish View Post

                      lol now I assume you know more about me than I do.
                      RERead what I typed. From a PERSONAL point of view. My view not yours or anyone else, but mines. Not only did I not receive the email, but I also haven't received a response from the new owner via Facebook.
                      I read what you typed - you said "From a personal view of being a member of the warrior forum..." I just wanted to inform you that other Warrior forum members received the email.

                      At least now you know the new owners weren't generally being less than friendly. They just don't like you.


                      Frank
                      Signature
                      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123221].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Tom B
                        Banned
                        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

                        I read what you typed - you said "From a personal view of being a member of the warrior forum..." I just wanted to inform you that other Warrior forum members received the email.

                        At least now you know the new owners weren't generally being less than friendly. They just don't like you.


                        Frank
                        Now I know why I didn't see any emails.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123285].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
              Banned
              Originally Posted by bwh1 View Post

              I just hope that this is correct.

              After investigating a bit about Freelancer.com and it's reputation as a business overall I could find good and bad stuff, as always.

              But what made me a bit worry was an article from a guy which used it, and also the vWorker site.

              You can read it here oDesk vs Freelancer.com Review. An Employers Perspective | Sandip Sekhon

              It's about a business practice I think is absolutely disgusting, even if Bank's are using it and several other sites, like Clickbank, what is charging a fee for INACTIVITY.

              In other words it's a penalty for not using an account at a site, what in the owners view force people to use it - or to get lost. It's maybe a short terms benefit in terms of profit for the owners but I believe that it has more negative impact on a long term.

              If that kind of policy will take place in the WF for whom runs WSO's and WFH, I know which one of the two options I choose.

              There is no indication that this will happen, but it can.

              G.
              Interesting article and if the new owners did decide to build a payment system into WF, where our listings had to be processed through them, and then went on to take commissions from our sales, or nickel and dime us to death in another way, I think forum advertising here would drop like a stone.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9124551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author briankoz
    I have a few comments on everything here:

    1. The $3.2 million I thought was an awesome price for Freelancer to get. I don't know the numbers and am just guessing based on new WSO's each day, war room fees, etc., but I'd be shocked if the Warrior Forum did under a million a year (or at least shocked if it wasn't at least close to that).

    2. At $3.2 million for something that probably does around a million a year, that's normally a pretty good price for a long standing asset with a long track record that's growing. However, it really gets awesome considering that Allen left a lot of the potential largely untapped (for various reasons probably of his own). Besides the WSO fees, the war room fees, banner ads, etc., there wasn't a ton of monetization done. At least not to the extent that it could have been done. That makes it an even better deal. For $3.2 million, myself and a lot of other marketers that I know of probably would have been interested in talking at that price with all the potential.

    3. Creating their own WSO gateway / affiliate setup there would be a natural move for them. I don't think that they'll eliminate the competition right off the bat, as they really can't (or they could, but it'd be a bad move as their network wouldn't have the numbers or proof that it'd work yet). But they'd probably definitely launch one as it'd be the smart thing to do, and then still allow the others to co-exist for awhile.

    Then after they've built up the numbers, that's when they'd want to cut the competition out. This second part might take up to a year or so to happen, but it'd be the smart move to do unfortunately for those guys.

    - Brian
    Signature
    WebFire.com -- Over 25 Tools to Get Free Traffic, Rankings, Leads, and Exposure!
    MobileAutoresponder.com -- Build a Mobile List and Send Unlimited Text Messages!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mikaedi
    I was one of the Warriors that got an email from Freelancer and well as the WF though it wasn't really clear that Allan had sold the WF, but that had partnered with FL.

    It would be interesting to see what changes the new owners make.

    Mikaedi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123359].message }}

Trending Topics