Mesothelioma Lawyer Directory - Any Ideas for Getting Started

24 replies
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last thread/post, so here goes folks.

I've got meself a mesothelioma related domain and am planning to launch a lawyer directory on the same. The step where I need you guys to help me out is to guide me about two things:

1. What strategy should I adopt to get as many conversions (paid of course) in a three to six month time?

2. I've seen that Adsense clicks are pretty huge on this niche, any thoughts how I can get the benefit from it (if I only had to rely on Adsense; which is not my primary plan though).

I am planning to make at least 100 paid subscribers in three months. Is it possible? Obviously I have already managed a plan to get things started on a regular basis just to keep things shaking and in action.

The directory I am about to start is paid but in the start, I will add free lawyer listings just to increase the number pages of my site. Now from the conversion point, I have a plan, don't know how much solid it is.

What I am thinking: I would add ten top mesothelioma lawyers of each state in my directory and will add a separate listing page for them each. This way, they will all have a dedicated page of their law firm; with no ads at all. Now when I do this, I will also email the lawyer informing him/her that we have placed a free listing of their law firm for One Month. If they want to keep the listing running, they will have to pay an annual fee.

How does that sound?
#directory #ideas #lawyer #mesothelioma #started
  • Profile picture of the author newbim
    Hi,

    I like the sound of the idea, for me, the only question I would ask is how would you, or how would the company, justify spending the subscription to the site?

    Would you send them monthly click-through reports / view reports? How would they know that any increas in business is related to your site?

    Maybe I don't understand the process properly, but it might be a question you're asked by them, I guess.

    Good luck with it either way.

    Cheers,

    Newbim.
    Signature
    If what I said helps, let me know, throw me a 'thanks'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9144830].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author biznics
      Originally Posted by newbim View Post

      Hi,

      I like the sound of the idea, for me, the only question I would ask is how would you, or how would the company, justify spending the subscription to the site?

      Would you send them monthly click-through reports / view reports? How would they know that any increas in business is related to your site?

      Maybe I don't understand the process properly, but it might be a question you're asked by them, I guess.

      Good luck with it either way.

      Cheers,

      Newbim.

      Thanks for your response.

      Actually, I was expecting this one. You ideas can surely be added but as far as giving 'value' to the subscribers, I have couple of features embedded in the site for attraction.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9144855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author biznics
        I guess there aren't much people who know about what I am asking. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, I am all ears and eyes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9152927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vududawg
    you could have a goldmine if you did this correct, ranking for this keyword is going to be a challenge but doable. You can get $1,000 per listing and prospecting can fill this up in no time. Do you have a theme in mind? I have yet to find the theme I would like to use but I do like brilliant directories, they just don't sell the theme so I am looking for a solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9405452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
    I will also email the lawyer informing him/her that we have placed a free listing of their law firm for One Month. If they want to keep the listing running, they will have to pay an annual fee.

    How does that sound?
    Unless your website already has a top rankings and can deliver traffic, and looks professional, the most likely result is getting sued for spam unless you cross your "I"s and dot your "T's for CAN-SPAM compliance.

    You're about ten years late to the game of targeting high CPC attorney keywords, such as the infamous mesothelioma keyword.

    Lawyers generally hate newbie marketers spamming their firm with SEO offers, website design offers, etc.

    In addition to the website and traffic requirements, you are better off using direct mail with an attention getting grabber, plus testimonials (which are going to be hard to get).

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9406369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author biznics
      Thanks for your post.

      Just wondering, can they really sue me for listing their law firm info free on my site? If so, is there any way I can make this whole free listing process legit and without getting sued?



      Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

      Unless your website already has a top rankings and can deliver traffic, and looks professional, the most likely result is getting sued for spam unless you cross your "I"s and dot your "T's for CAN-SPAM compliance.

      You're about ten years late to the game of targeting high CPC attorney keywords, such as the infamous mesothelioma keyword.

      Lawyers generally hate newbie marketers spamming their firm with SEO offers, website design offers, etc.

      In addition to the website and traffic requirements, you are better off using direct mail with an attention getting grabber, plus testimonials (which are going to be hard to get).

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427577].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
        Attention to detail, such as reading what I actually said, would be a good start.

        .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427687].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author biznics
          Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

          Attention to detail, such as reading what I actually said, would be a good start.

          .
          It's not that I intent to spam or something, but the point where you said about 'not listing them or they can sue you' really scared me...

          Therefore, adding listing in the start would not only be a good thing for my website size (more listings means more web pages), but it can also be a good thing for law firms as it can increase their chances of appearing for long tail keywords. NOTE: my two main methods for driving traffic are going to be; long tail keywords (with lots and lots of unique content on my site), and social media marketing.

          In short, I have long term plans for this project and I have some serious goals to achieve with this. I am not one of those newbies who want to hit the jackpot over night and plan to earn it all at once. Hope you guys get the picture now.

          From what I have learned so far, I think it is best to find a lawyer and clear this 'free listing' and 'suing' thingy that whether or not this can create problems for me in the future.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427754].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
            Originally Posted by biznics View Post

            the point where you said about 'not listing them or they can sue you' really scared me...
            Again, actually reading what I wrote and not making things up would be a good start. Sorry, I'm done with this thread. Good luck.

            .
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428159].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author biznics
              Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

              Again, actually reading what I wrote and not making things up would be a good start. Sorry, I'm done with this thread. Good luck.

              .
              Thanks kindsvater for your guidance, really appreciate it.

              @AdrianSEO, your input is also very much appreciated. Now here's what I am getting from it. If I opt to email law firms 'before' listing them free on my site, would that be a safe call for me? Also, I am also not in favor of email spam (sending emails after emails) so I will definitely not go with that.

              Lastly for now, like kindsvater said earlier that I am ten years late in this niche, but I am positive that there is still money to be made. What do you guys think? Should I stick with this or move on with Cord Blood niche? hehehe.

              Thanks,
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428492].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author AdrianSeo
                Originally Posted by biznics View Post

                Thanks kindsvater for your guidance, really appreciate it.

                @AdrianSEO, your input is also very much appreciated. Now here's what I am getting from it. If I opt to email law firms 'before' listing them free on my site, would that be a safe call for me? Also, I am also not in favor of email spam (sending emails after emails) so I will definitely not go with that.

                Lastly for now, like kindsvater said earlier that I am ten years late in this niche, but I am positive that there is still money to be made. What do you guys think? Should I stick with this or move on with Cord Blood niche? hehehe.

                Thanks,
                The safe way when you list them just send them an email and let them know you have list them on your directory for free. and if they don;t want the free listing to replay to that mail and ask for removal. That is a safe way in my opinion.

                as for 10 years late...don't know what to say. You see..we all have to start at some point something. And if you really want to make this and don't want a quick money...yes give it a try. But is a lot of work to be made..and don't set big expectations on short period of time.
                But take in consideration that a lot of internet marketers (newbie or not) follow that keyword because is a lot of value ($$$) there and is not easy at all to jump in there.
                Wish you all the best.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428520].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                  Wow - just wow.

                  Which advice would I take?

                  A - advice from a practicing attorney who's been successful offline and online for years

                  B - advice from someone who believes everything on the internet is true


                  Not a hard choice, is it?

                  Yes, you have to start somewhere. But where you start will determine where you end up. No sense in starting in a niche that was played out years ago and is only profitable now for true authority sites.
                  Signature
                  Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
                  ***
                  Do clouds ever look down on us and say 'that one is shaped like an idiot'?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428551].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author myob
                    Marketing directly to attorneys without having any recognized credentials will be a slow slog. In addition, there are already numerous such "directories" both online and offline which have been well established for not only mesothelioma but dozens of other specialities. And as kindsvater mentioned, you are at least 10 years behind the times for this very mature business model. Leads generated from this model are relatively insignificant compared to the much more advanced marketing methods now being used by attorneys.

                    An extremely profitable twist on this is targeted education on the symptoms, prognosis, and treatment options available to patients, victims' families, at-risk retirees, employees (ie workers in building rehab, demolition, asbestos abatement companies), insurance adjusters, workers comp specialists in hr departments, etc. For example, Amazon has a large array of relevant books on this topic (some selling for as much as $300 and more). A considerable profit center may also include selling qualified leads generated from these sales to attorneys.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428897].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                      Here in Florida, there's no need for such a directory. Multiple firms advertise heavily around the clock. Why would I go hunting for some picayune free directory when all I have to do is turn on the TV?

                      The same goes for most of the other big medical class actions.

                      As for the listing itself, I think (as a layman) it would be hard to sue you over publicly available factual data (like the firm name, url, address, etc.).

                      As for spamming, Brian's actual advice was to be sure your emails met the requirements of CAN-SPAM, lest someone mistake you for someone worth going after for a fat settlement or damages. As long as you dot all the i's and cross all the t's, simply sending UCE is not against the law.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9430365].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author biznics
                        Appreciate your input on this John.

                        But for those who think I am very late to this game, I would say that having competition is a good thing and just because a niche or a business has tough competitor, no new comers can mark their names in it.

                        And like I mentioned earlier, I am not doing this to make some quick bucks, I plan to work with patience and I am positive that even though the niche is highly competitive and dominated by giants, I still can make something for myself.

                        Besides, it all depends on how uniquely and different the approach is; be it marketing or overall business approach.

                        Good day,

                        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

                        Here in Florida, there's no need for such a directory. Multiple firms advertise heavily around the clock. Why would I go hunting for some picayune free directory when all I have to do is turn on the TV?

                        The same goes for most of the other big medical class actions.

                        As for the listing itself, I think (as a layman) it would be hard to sue you over publicly available factual data (like the firm name, url, address, etc.).

                        As for spamming, Brian's actual advice was to be sure your emails met the requirements of CAN-SPAM, lest someone mistake you for someone worth going after for a fat settlement or damages. As long as you dot all the i's and cross all the t's, simply sending UCE is not against the law.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9433216].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                          You have some basic misconceptions:

                          I've seen that Adsense clicks are pretty huge on this niche
                          No, not for regular sites as these high paying ads don't appear on the content network but on sites with premium status. That's a fact.

                          Bottom line is - this is something you want to do. It doesn't matter what anyone says because you have made your mind up.

                          So do it - and I hope it works for you.

                          kay
                          Signature
                          Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
                          ***
                          Do clouds ever look down on us and say 'that one is shaped like an idiot'?
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9433483].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author biznics
                            You are right and I do know that Adsense ad appearance has certain criteria (authority sites, browser cache, search history and etc.). That is why I intent to go for making an authority site rather than a site with couple of hundred listings and content farm-based web pages.


                            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                            You have some basic misconceptions:



                            No, not for regular sites as these high paying ads don't appear on the content network but on sites with premium status. That's a fact.

                            Bottom line is - this is something you want to do. It doesn't matter what anyone says because you have made your mind up.

                            So do it - and I hope it works for you.

                            kay
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9435867].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AdrianSeo
        Originally Posted by biznics View Post

        Thanks for your post.

        Just wondering, can they really sue me for listing their law firm info free on my site? If so, is there any way I can make this whole free listing process legit and without getting sued?
        If you provide them real value for their business they will never sue you. That is bullshit. But if you really want to make sure you don't get any problem try to get in touch with a lawyer. Make sure you search for someone that offers free consultation and ask him about this and he will help you.
        All you need is a good TOS (term of services) and state clear that you don't get any money from free listing and they must contact you to remove their listing and you will have liability only if you refuse to remove their business from listing.

        Just relax is not a big deal. Lawyers don't have time to deal with you just because you give them a hand in promoting business.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427716].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve B
          Originally Posted by AdrianSeo View Post

          If you provide them real value for their business they will never sue you. That is bullshit. . . Just relax is not a big deal.

          This is exactly why some people should not be in business.

          Steve
          Signature

          Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
          SteveBrowneDirect

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Angshuman Dutta
    For a mesothelioma lawyer directory, you'd need hundreds of mesothelioma sufferers on your site looking for legal advice. I think you can target mesothelioma forums and establish some identity there. Paid ads on such platforms would also be a good idea. Talk to the law firms and offer something free or for a discount that mesothelioma sufferers or their caregivers would be interested in.

    Once you manage to attract the traffic, they will sign up for paid services with the law firms you list and that's when you can start charging a premium from the firms for the listings.

    Just my 2 cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AdrianSeo
      Originally Posted by Angshuman Dutta View Post

      For a mesothelioma lawyer directory, you'd need hundreds of mesothelioma sufferers on your site looking for legal advice. I think you can target mesothelioma forums and establish some identity there. Paid ads on such platforms would also be a good idea. Talk to the law firms and offer something free or for a discount that mesothelioma sufferers or their caregivers would be interested in.

      Once you manage to attract the traffic, they will sign up for paid services with the law firms you list and that's when you can start charging a premium from the firms for the listings.

      Just my 2 cents.
      Paid ads for "mesothelioma" ? come on..I really think is hard to find something like this..or if he find it..he will have to pay more then he will ever make by that. You know the value of this keyword?
      Anyone that have a blog/forum/website about this know the value and they ask for big money.

      What he need is real good seo..maybe a good and power PBN and maybe have a small chance to rank for this keyword. Lawyers can afford to pay big money for ads because if they get a case for this they win big money..we talk about millions $. So forget about paid ads.

      PS biznics : just make sure..if you send a email to a lawyer to offer them free listing/paid listing you send it just one time. SPAM is when you send them email by email not when you send them a business proposition. This was just a clarification. Make sure you have a strong TOS and you will never have problems.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427758].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
        Originally Posted by AdrianSeo View Post

        SPAM is when you send them email by email not when you send them a business proposition.
        This is incorrect.

        .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428152].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AdrianSeo
          Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

          This is incorrect.

          .
          "Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited email. However, if a long-lost brother finds your email address and sends you a message, this could hardly be called spam
          Real spam is generally email advertising for some product sent to a mailing list or newsgroup."

          So..technical it is spam but you will never find someone that will sue you just because you have send a business proposition.
          AS A BUSINESS THAT POST EMAIL ADDRESS ON WEBSITE FOR CONTACT PURPOSE THEY CAN'T SUE SOMEONE FOR CONTACTING THEM ONE TIME!
          Yes..if they get email by email from you.. then can sue you, but not for one email.
          Hope that clarify the situation better.
          Have a good day!


          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          This is exactly why some people should not be in business.

          Steve
          Elaborate more..show me who will sue you because you give because you try to do business with them? As you say it means i have give him bad advice (because i have say to offer real value) ...
          Very smart. I have the same opinion.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9428178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Doughnuts
    The main thing is Traffic. If you can attract the traffic to your site (whether it be this niche or any niche), you will always find ready & willing advertisers to just throw money at you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9427763].message }}

Trending Topics