15 replies
If you've got 1 ebook out there, and it's not selling much or at all, and you then write another one, how much of a difference can that make to sales? I've heard that having a couple of books can make a difference. Is that really true?
#2nd #ebook #writing
  • Profile picture of the author blueclcl
    I'm a great believer in failing first to be a success..

    Try to make this book better than ever through research of your market. Learn what never worked from your first book and address this in your new book.

    Good luck
    Signature
    Do You Want Professional Web Content From a Jon Morrow Certified Content Marketer? Learn More And View My Writing Samples by Clicking Here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9185902].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Gretchenr
      My first ebook did way better than my second, primarily because I invested in promoting it and with the second, right as it released I got a huge job that took all my time (but was worth it financially). My experience is you get what you put into it. And as I've said before on other threads, a book is no way to get rich. If you use it as a tool and a springboard for other things, like collecting emails/listbuilding, or to book high-value speaking engagements, or as a credibility booster to get gigs, it can be incredibly valuable beyond the mere book sales. Good luck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9185974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twranks
    Use the info from post #1 and #2 to your advantage:

    1) make sure your 2nd ebook is better than your first in terms of content. Research is key here

    2) Leave no stone unturned when marketing this ebook; selling through affiliates(or a JV with a big name in IM, which you can probably find on this forum) works like a charm. You need your book to provide top-notch information though
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186007].message }}
  • I just got my second up on Kindle, took me 8 hours to write it. I think a series will work on Amazon kindle ebooks. Then you have options like making the first one PermaFree right now I'm not going to do that since I need at least 6 done.

    In any case the money I'm pretty sure will not be in the Kindle book but on getting a relationship with the reader and doing more business in the future and that is the real value of at least Kindle ebooks I think. I'm late in that game but I think it's still there and I'll report once half a dozen books are up and selling and getting downloaded.
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186056].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by Johnny1975 View Post

    If you've got 1 ebook out there, and it's not selling much or at all, and you then write another one, how much of a difference can that make to sales? I've heard that having a couple of books can make a difference. Is that really true?
    Is this on a platform like Kindle or are you selling it from your own website?

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186061].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Johnny1975
      Originally Posted by Rod Cortez View Post

      Is this on a platform like Kindle or are you selling it from your own website?

      RoD
      It's Kindle. I uploaded a book on tuesday and now I'm about half way through my 2nd. The reason is because I'm assuming that a second book will help sell the first, or vice versa, especially if I put one of them on KDP Select.
      Signature

      The Smart Man's Dating Checklist : What to Look for when Seeking a Good Woman :

      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
      Originally Posted by Rod Cortez View Post

      Is this on a platform like Kindle or are you selling it from your own website?

      RoD
      Gotcha. If you're done your research and you're writing for an audience that wants to read your stuff, then there's one thing I've learned in my 10 months of writing for Kindle: keep on cranking out quality ebooks that you're audience wants to read.

      None of my ebooks are best sellers, not even close, but I noticed something when I uploaded by 4th ebook, my overall sales more than doubled. And none of these books were in a series (fiction).

      I view publishing on Kindle as a marathon and not a sprint. One ebook isn't going to cut it unless you're a whiz at promoting your ebook. You might need to crank out 2, 4 or even more than that before you start seeing some decent returns.

      Look at the authors of the Chicken Soup For The Soul fame, they went on a free publicity radio tour for over a year to get the word out. I'm not saying you have to do that, but unless you know how to do that, one book isn't going to make a lot of money.

      The key is knowing your audience and writing quality stuff that they'll want to read. Make sure you have an author fan page for each pen name that you use too. Make sure you have a bio at the end of your ebooks along with a resource link so they can find out more about you.

      RoD

      Originally Posted by Johnny1975 View Post

      If you've got 1 ebook out there, and it's not selling much or at all, and you then write another one, how much of a difference can that make to sales? I've heard that having a couple of books can make a difference. Is that really true?
      This is not easy to answer. It will make a difference, but no one can really answer how much of a difference because there are a ton of variables involved such as the quality of your work, the genre you're writing for, your promotional efforts etc.

      RoD
      Signature
      "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
      - Jim Rohn
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Syed Raza
    Best OF Luck Man !
    Failure is the way to success if you continue your efforts
    I still remember my days when my 4 ebooks were rejected by internet marketers but the 5th one goes to Sky !
    Thanks,
    your kindest,
    Chris !
    Signature
    Making Money Online Is Really Awesome Guys...!
    All You Need To Do Is Blogging 1 Hour A Day...!
    Lets Connect On FaceBook And I Will SHow You How You Can Use Blogging To Make Your Living !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by Johnny1975 View Post

    I've heard that having a couple of books can make a difference. Is that really true?
    I have never heard that. In my mind, there is no intrinsic benefit in being the author of two books compared to one.

    To me, the greater question is this - why didn't the first book sell better? Just putting another book out is not going to make any difference.

    Instead, I would explore all the following regarding your 1st book:
    • Is it written to address a problem, concern, or difficulty people are having? Or is it meant to entertain, and if so, does it?
    • Is the book well-written and professional in every way?
    • Has the book been promoted properly to the right audience?
    • Is the book priced right for the niche?
    • Does the book have a professional looking and captivating cover?
    • Do you have a compelling offer associated with the book?
    • Do you have a good description and summary?
    • Do you have excellent reviews and other social proof?
    If all these questions can be answered positively, then I would say go ahead and concentrate on writing another book. Some times it takes awhile to get some traction in your sales.

    If you haven't addressed the issues above or if you say "No" to several items, then I would say you ought to go back and give your first book a better chance of success before you tackle the next one.

    Good luck to you,

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186092].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Johnny1975
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      I have never heard that. In my mind, there is no intrinsic benefit in being the author of two books compared to one.

      To me, the greater question is this - why didn't the first book sell better? Just putting another book out is not going to make any difference.

      Instead, I would explore all the following regarding your 1st book:
      • Is it written to address a problem, concern, or difficulty people are having? Or is it meant to entertain, and if so, does it?
      • Is the book well-written and professional in every way?
      • Has the book been promoted properly to the right audience?
      • Is the book priced right for the niche?
      • Does the book have a professional looking and captivating cover?
      • Do you have a compelling offer associated with the book?
      • Do you have a good description and summary?
      • Do you have excellent reviews and other social proof?
      If all these questions can be answered positively, then I would say go ahead and concentrate on writing another book. Some times it takes awhile to get some traction in your sales.

      If you haven't addressed the issues above or if you say "No" to several items, then I would say you ought to go back and give your first book a better chance of success before you tackle the next one.

      Good luck to you,

      Steve
      My first book has only been on Amazon for a few days. It's not that people don't think it's good (then again I have no idea and no way to tell), it's more a case of creating a series of books that sell each other. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of that. I've come across it a few times.
      Signature

      The Smart Man's Dating Checklist : What to Look for when Seeking a Good Woman :

      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186108].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve B
        Originally Posted by Johnny1975 View Post

        . . . it's more a case of creating a series of books that sell each other. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of that.
        Johnny,

        I have certainly heard of authors creating a series of books. You gave no indication in your post that that was what you were asking about. You just said you wrote a book and were thinking about writing another one.

        That said, I wouldn't change my advice at all. I would suggest you first figure out why your initial book isn't selling.

        Doing more of the same (when you first book hasn't been successful) and expecting different results is not a good plan. If you want to sell a series of books, prove the market and product first - then rinse and repeat.

        Steve
        Signature

        Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
        SteveBrowneDirect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186866].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Johnny1975
          Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

          Johnny,

          I have certainly heard of authors creating a series of books. You gave no indication in your post that that was what you were asking about. You just said you wrote a book and were thinking about writing another one.

          That said, I wouldn't change my advice at all. I would suggest you first figure out why your initial book isn't selling.

          Doing more of the same (when you first book hasn't been successful) and expecting different results is not a good plan. If you want to sell a series of books, prove the market and product first - then rinse and repeat.

          Steve
          Sorry I wasn't at all being sarcastic. You said that you hadn't heard of anyone saying that having a couple of books (in the same niche) as opposed to just one, would make a difference to sales. That's what I said I was surprised about. Steve Scott has said it and a couple of other authors too (I believe Tom Corson Knowles has said it). I'm sure I've heard someone say that it's a very good way of marketing : just get more and more books out there (in the same niche).

          I've probably given the impression that I'm concerned about the so far nonexistent sales of my first book. But I'm not, because I only uploaded it last tuesday and I'm a newcomer to this. It doesn't surprise me at all. All I'm saying is that putting out another one might make a difference. I'm not talking about repeating myself in a second book, I mean just writing about something else within my niche.
          Signature

          The Smart Man's Dating Checklist : What to Look for when Seeking a Good Woman :

          http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9187013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author flyingdutch
    The best thing you can do when you have finished a book, is to write the next one. Book publishing is just a game of numbers. More books->more chance on a good one->more income. BUT..... if you write 10, 20, 50 books that are really bad then... 50x 0 = 0.

    Having said that, on a certain moment in tie, you WILL create synergy between your books. (if at least some of them are good). I don't think the difference between 1 and 3-4 books will be huge. But if you have 10,15, 20 books out there, you WILL have more exposure and people will find your "less good" books through your "bestsellers".

    Keep writing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dain
    You can always offer the 1st as a bonus or vice versa.

    A good bonus can help to increase sales.

    Maybe that is what you should be focusing on....

    Really it should be... tweaking your offer and funnel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Getting zero interest isn't going to be helped by going out and writing another book covering the same topic.

    Could you pull through sales later of a so-so ebook with one that hits the mark and lists the others - sure...but focus on the hit not on duplicating what hasn't worked in the past.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9186773].message }}

Trending Topics