I have been working on other people's WP blogs as their tech. I have noticed a trend this past week. Perhaps I am paranoid, but I wish to alert the general community.
There are some comments whose authors have a real-sounding Name, and the name is linked simply to Google.com. (This means they entered goog's url as their own)
This isn't spam in and of itself. - Right.
The content of the comment is a one-liner. It goes something like this:
- This is a good post, please write more
- I like what you said here, will be coming back
- Great post. I am subscribing to feed.
Again, this isn't spam. - Got it.
H O W E V E R
Once the blog admin approves this benign comment, the Commenter *possibly* gets out of the moderation queue when they post anew.
Default WP settings are set to hold all comments in a moderation queue if they have:
- more than 2 outbound links, or
- they are a new commenter, or
- the comment has any of the words that the admin has typed into the censor box. (like cuss words, FREE, @*.ru, etc.)
When these visitors/commentors see their comment was approved, they can now circumvent the default WP filters, and post a link to wherever they want. And they may not even care to write legibly. These comments don't trigger an email to the blog admins, and may not show up in the dashboard.
Just a little FYI from a guy who has seen the same commenter across several WP blogs that he has admin access to. You have been warned! :p