A Friend Of Mine Needs Help

5 replies
I will make this short and to the point.

A friend of mine is having a terrible time of it. Her husband has ALS and both
are on SS. Neither can work anymore.

I'm not looking for donations or anything like that. I need marketing help for
them.

The reason I can't help them is because they have a site in the adult
industry and you know how limited marketing avenues are for that niche. I
just don't have the expertise in it to give them a boost.

What I need is anybody who really knows their stuff in that field who I can
put them in contact with. They have no money to pay you for your
assistance. I will tell you that up front. If you can just give them some
tips on how to boost their traffic, it would help them a lot.

Thank you.
#friend #mine
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    If you don't find someone, an alternative is for you to help them set up their own non-adult niche site/business. Then you can offer them your help and get them off on the right foot.

    (Might make sense to do it anyway... multiple streams of income and all... perhaps in an easier niche.)

    Cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894371].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      If you don't find someone, an alternative is for you to help them set up their own non-adult niche site/business. Then you can offer them your help and get them off on the right foot.

      (Might make sense to do it anyway... multiple streams of income and all... perhaps in an easier niche.)

      Cheers,
      Becky
      Thanks Becky. I've tried to get them into a more conventional niche. They're
      just not interested. I've even sent them products for nothing.

      I can't go into why they're stuck on the adult niche because that gets
      into way too personal area, but let's just say I understand where they're
      coming from and honestly, if they just had the marketing smarts for it,
      this niche is perfect for them.

      Heck, if I had the product that they had, I might go into it too.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894391].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        they're stuck on the adult niche
        But if they don't have the marketing smarts for it - it won't be a profitable niche for them. That's a highly competitive niche that can be difficult to market even with money to spend.

        If they are truly desperate they should be open to working in other niches that are easier to promote with no money. Doesn't mean they can't keep working the adult niche - but it's unrealistic to say "I'm desperate but only willing to do this one thing". Especially if they have someone willing to help, give them products, etc.

        kay
        Signature
        Just wait a second – so what you're telling me is that my chance of surviving all this is directly linked to the common sense of others? You’re kidding, right?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894609].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          But if they don't have the marketing smarts for it - it won't be a profitable niche for them. That's a highly competitive niche that can be difficult to market even with money to spend.

          If they are truly desperate they should be open to working in other niches that are easier to promote with no money. Doesn't mean they can't keep working the adult niche - but it's unrealistic to say "I'm desperate but only willing to do this one thing". Especially if they have someone willing to help, give them products, etc.

          kay
          Kay, believe me, I know. I wish I could give more details but if you knew
          the whole story, you'd understand why this is their only option that makes
          any real sense. If I knew how to market in this niche, given the product
          that they have, I could make a killing for them. But I don't have the smarts
          for marketing adult sites, which is why I got out of the business a long
          time ago.

          You know what they say. You can lead a horse to water.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894652].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
        Steven,

        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Heck, if I had the product that they had, I might go into it too.
        Seems like an ideal project for a joint venture. Why
        don't you propose a profit share? Alternatively, help
        them to set up an affiliate scheme and become their
        number one affiliate.

        John
        Signature
        John's Internet Marketing News, Views & Reviews: John Taylor Online
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894639].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

          Steven,



          Seems like an ideal project for a joint venture. Why
          don't you propose a profit share? Alternatively, help
          them to set up an affiliate scheme and become their
          number one affiliate.

          John
          John, I'd love to. But as I said, I don't have the smarts for marketing in
          this niche. You can't use Adwords. Heck, you can't even submit articles to
          directories to this niche. You can't use Squidoo. Heck, I'm sure if I setup
          a Blogger blog even, they'd shut me down.

          And many web hosting companies won't even allow you to host any
          adult related material.

          And taking payments?

          Good grief. Don't even get me started on that.

          As I was telling Kay, this is the reason I got out of the adult biz a long
          time ago.

          I'd be nuts to try to get back in unless I REALLY knew how to market in
          it...which I don't.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894663].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
            Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

            Heck, you can't even submit articles to
            directories to this niche. You can't use Squidoo. Heck, I'm sure if I setup
            a Blogger blog even, they'd shut me down.
            This discussion popped an idea into my head. Sounds like there might be a need for an adult "EzineArticles," an adult "Blogger," an adult "Squidoo" etc. If anyone is interested in marketing to adult webmasters, those are options to consider.

            Cheers,
            Becky

            ETA: Sylvia (above) posted while I was writing my message. Looks like these article directories, etc exist -- but I'm sure there's room for competition.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894701].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MaskedMarketer
          Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

          Seems like an ideal project for a joint venture.
          they can joint venture with other adult website owners?

          Maybe place there products on other peoples sites?

          Are you marketing and making contacts in adult forums?

          Also i think its Adbrite that has a separate platform for adult advertising.

          BTW- what happened to the zango post that disappeared? How does that happen? Can we remove our own posts?
          Signature

          "One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor
          "


          "I Pay Less Attention to What Men Say. I Just Watch What They Do."
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sylvia Meier
    Steven,

    All your skills can be used in the adult industry, they have article directories you can submit to, they have their own blogging platforms that allow adult content, they have the same autopost programs for blogs too that pull from the different affiliate sites.

    I am just heading out the door to my son's grad but when I get back this afternoon I will post a more detailed explaination. There is also a really good adult webmaster forum that I would say would be the adult industry WF that may help them as well, I will also find up that link for you to pass along.

    And yes, it is a very profitable niche if done right, and your marketing knowledge with a little twist would be all they need, you just need to know the adult versions of IM social sites, directories etc.

    Sylvia
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[894677].message }}

Trending Topics