Release Now Or Later?

44 replies
I have a dilemma and I need help making a decision. Without going into too much detail...

1) Do I release a product now without bonuses just to get it out the door so I can start making some money?

Or...

2) Do I wait until the bonuses are completed so that the product has more perceived value and probably has a better chance of selling? This will probably mean an additional 30 days before I can release it. So instead of a release date of say Oct 1, 2014 we're looking at a release date of Nov 1, 2014.

30 Days doesn't seem like a long time but when you're broke, every day is too long.

What would you do? I'm putting up a poll and will close it and this thread when I have enough feedback.

Personally, I am leaning towards waiting. I know it's the smart thing to do to make the product more attractive to customers and potential affiliates. It is just so hard to wait when money is so tight.

Thank you for your feedback.

** NOTE ** Signature has been removed from this post so as to avoid even the suggestion of any impropriety by certain people here. I will also not be responding to this thread at all so don't ask me any questions because I won't be answering them, The info above is more than enough to respond to the poll. Now or later?
#release
  • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
    I would say wait until you have everything in place to get the highest conversions as possible and attract more affiliates. It could make the difference for putting a lot more money in your pocket. But without more details that would be guesswork i suppose...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277541].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

    Personally, I am leaning towards waiting.
    In almost every other discussion of this subject that I've seen here, I've instinctively felt the opposite, and that people should "get on with it, already". But on this occasion I agree with you, Steven. I think it is the smart thing to do to make the product more attractive to customers and potential affiliates.

    From knowing you, I also think that you and I are similar enough in our attitude to our work, and what we "put out there", to suspect that it's going to be far easier for you - as it would be for me - to have "regrets" about releasing too early rather than too late. So I (uncharacteristically) voted "later".

    I predict a "close result", here ...

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anne Laidlaw
    You want to put out the best quality and bang for the dollar you can. It's hard when money is tight but worth waiting to build better customers for future products etc.
    Signature
    Giant Plugin Biz High Quality WP Plugin Package
    WP Plugins Are Hott!! Claim Your Piece Of The Pie Today!
    Free Squeeze Page Creator - FREE Instant Access To Alou's Killer Squeeze Page Creator.
    Alou.com - Wordpress SEO - Latest free WordPress SEO, Plugins, Themes and more!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277621].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    I'm not sure if I would follow this advice or not, but you could always consider releasing it now, with the promise of specific free bonuses on a specific near-future timeline to those who purchase. Maybe even give them an extra bonus (or discount) for being an early adopter.

    It might also be useful to get some feedback from the community while your bonuses are in development.

    To be honest, I am usually the type that likes all of my i's dotted and t's crossed before pulling the switch. But logically, I know that is not always the right way to help a project succeed.

    Inspired by Alexa above, I am going to be uncharacteristic. I vote now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    I probably go against the trend here, but I hate bonuses. Either your product is worth what you are charging or it is not. End of story. If the bonuses are what makes me buy, then I was probably wasting my money in the first place.

    I'm all for discounts and specials. Buy now and get 20% off or the first 50 buyers get a special price. That sort of thing. Bonuses to me have always wreaked of desperation.

    I know that probably goes against 99% of IM'ers though, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
    Signature
    SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
    Get a FREE Quote.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277691].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Steven,

      I voted "now" for your release.

      If your product is targeted and valuable, bonuses shouldn't be needed in order to get the sale.

      But if you still feel that bonuses are really critical to your success, you could always include a coupon (as your bonus) which can be redeemed during a given window (say for 90 days) and have that window start on Nov. 1st. In essence, you're giving the same bonuses as before but you're not making them available until a later date.

      I hope this makes sense.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277852].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MNord
        The x-factor here is the extent of your need. Are you going to miss a rent payment, or not have enough for groceries? Then clearly now. If you feel you'll be ok for the next 60 days or so, maybe waiting is best.

        If you're on the fence, release it now. What if it doesn't sell well, or if there are other unforeseen circumstances? By releasing sooner rather than later, you'll be able to adjust your efforts or move on to something else. Waiting until your scarce funds have run down even further might be risky.

        And there's nothing to say that you can't add bonuses later in a new promotion, or to entice leads that didn't convert as part of a follow up effort.

        I voted Now. But might have voted Later if I knew more about your finances (and no, I'm not asking--none of my business).

        My $.02.

        Best of luck,

        --Mike
        Signature
        First 10 Warriors to PM me get a FREE weight loss PLR article pack. Brand new original PLR! (You must have over 50 posts and agree to provide a review.)

        Best-written PLR article you've ever seen? Find out...get it FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9277940].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      I probably go against the trend here, but I hate bonuses. Either your product is worth what you are charging or it is not. End of story. If the bonuses are what makes me buy, then I was probably wasting my money in the first place.

      I'm all for discounts and specials. Buy now and get 20% off or the first 50 buyers get a special price. That sort of thing. Bonuses to me have always wreaked of desperation.

      I know that probably goes against 99% of IM'ers though, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
      I too think that your product should be good enough that you shouldn`t have to offer bonuses -
      Instead, maybe consider offering a discount to the first 100 buyers or something -
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenJ
    In your situation I would go Now! Next year do version two with the bonuses if you really think they add to the attractiveness of your offer.

    I ignore bonuses most of the time and concentrate on the product. Does it do what it says it should? If so, just get on with it.

    KenJ

    BTW. I think it is a little rude to announce your non participation in the thread. And now I am being rude for telling you so. I'm English and that's how I think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lurk
    Apparently I just broke the Poll tie. Patience is a virtue. You already broke 30 more days wont make a difference. Get your max reward from it....Just my opinion.
    Signature

    DONT USE TIME CARELESSLY FOR IT CANNOT BE RETRIEVED. -LURK

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    Go! Go! Go!

    Let your product package which would include all pieces of the puzzle evolve over time (Windows 3.x, 95, 98, 2000, etc.)

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Steven,

    What I sometimes do it release Part I, and let folks now if they buy now they'll get part II for free as soon as it's finished. So instead of a main product and a bonus, it's like a delayed bonus only labeled differently.

    They get a discount for buying now. If they wait for both parts to be finished they can still get both, but at a higher price.

    That's worked great for me in the past. Your mileage may vary.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Steven,

      What I sometimes do it release Part I, and let folks now if they buy now they'll get part II for free as soon as it's finished. So instead of a main product and a bonus, it's like a delayed bonus only labeled differently.

      They get a discount for buying now. If they wait for both parts to be finished they can still get both, but at a higher price.

      That's worked great for me in the past. Your mileage may vary.

      Steve, this is what you should do so listen to Dennis on this. Get it out the door right now, don't delay any longer. You're just putting it off because you are scarred of it failing so get on with it. Bonuses aren't the linchpin so take Dennis' advice and forge ahead that way you can be that much closer to success once again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobinInTexas
    Release it early with a discount and bonus for earlybirds.

    Possibly All Parts (Later) $1,000

    Early birds first half $400 with second half @ $400

    Follow up products discounted also.
    Signature

    Robin



    ...Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just set there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Johnny12345
    If the bonuses are essential to getting the most out of the main product, then wait. However, if the bonuses are NOT essential or highly relevant, then release it now.

    Look at it this way...

    If you launch now and it goes really well, you can upgrade it, add bonuses, and then release it again as a more expensive "version 2.0."

    And, if it doesn't go well, at least you didn't waste a month of your life developing bonuses for a product that nobody wanted.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    What would you do?
    I would not let financial worries drive my business decisions.

    The time frame you choose aside, you could be just as broke afterwards.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

      I would not let financial worries drive my business decisions.
      I thought that this statement needed to be highlighted - not just for Steven - but for every warrior who may be going through a similar situation.

      When you let your financial problems dictate how you conduct your business, you can often come across as desperate - in my opinion -
      I am also not sure I would broadcast my financial situation on a public board - you are opening up yourself to lots of criticism, judgement, and all manner of nastiness, I think -

      I would advise that you keep your financial affairs private - that way - it can't be used against you - maybe ask for advice via pm from your friends on this forum rather than from everyone publicly -

      other than that - I truly wish you good fortune, Steven.
      here's some brilliant rock piano music that I hope will cheer you up:

      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffLee
    I voted for "Now."

    ... if your product needs "bonuses" to help increase sells, then you need to create a better initial product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278475].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to respond and I realize by doing so now all the people here who hate me are going to say "I thought you weren't going to respond. You liked again like you always do" but this situation needs further clarification that I probably should have done earlier but didn't want to give away too much info. I still think I can clarify without doing just that.

      The bonuses are NOT throw in bonuses, They are, in essence, more of the main product.

      Think of it like this.

      You're selling oranges for $1 each. But you say if you buy 2 oranges I'll give you a third orange free. So they get 3 oranges for just $2.

      The bonuses are 2 more oranges if they order NOW for no extra cost but these oranges are a little different from the other 3 and you may actually like them better or at least as much.

      So they get 5 top quality oranges for $2. It's a no brainer.

      If I was throwing in 2 apples, yeah, I could see it not being so important since the customer essentially wants oranges. But because they are oranges, it matters.

      Yeah. I could have said 5 oranges for $2 but this way, including the 2 extra as a bonus, it makes the offer more attractive. It's a blatant marketing ploy and I think, considering the product, a good one.

      I don't know if this changes anybody's decision one way or the other but I felt it needed to be said. Should have stated this up front I guess.

      ** NOTE ** I am still removing my sig and for those who want to bash me for responding, save it. I've heard it all and don't care at this point.

      In case anybody is wondering why the anger and hostility, it is because of recent events with another thread where I was accused or impropriety where none existed. Thus, I am covering my ass on this thread and essentially trying to stay out of it as much as I can. It is not to be rude. It is simply to avoid another confrontation with certain people.

      So I am sorry if any of this has offended anybody but I was kind of forced into this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278494].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        ** NOTE ** I am still removing my sig and for those who want to bash me for responding, save it. I've heard it all and don't care at this point.

        In case anybody is wondering why the anger and hostility, it is because of recent events with another thread where I was accused or impropriety where none existed. Thus, I am covering my ass on this thread and essentially trying to stay out of it as much as I can. It is not to be rude. It is simply to avoid another confrontation with certain people.

        So I am sorry if any of this has offended anybody but I was kind of forced into this.
        Steve, there is no reason to act so childish and hurt by a couple people making comments. Do you realize how much time a lot of people have given you in trying to help you? Quit your negative attitude or you are going to drive everyone away with your little rants and tantrums. And yes it is rude. And yes you are wrong to now come back once you promised to stay away. And yes you never should have made that little threat/tantrum/explanation even once but you've done it twice now.

        Mark
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278543].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          So I am sorry if any of this has offended anybody but I was kind of forced into this.
          Forced? You are trying to offend anyone who has offended you - nothing new there. You do that any time someone questions you or offers a critique you don't like. It's a standard pattern - could find the same churlish attitude in threads that were deleted 1-2-3 years ago.

          You asked a poll question - Dennis and Mike gave you the best answers. If you have a product, that's a great way to get it out there.

          I am covering my ass
          No - you are being an ass.
          Signature
          Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

          Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278679].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Johnny12345
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        The bonuses are 2 more oranges...

        If that's the case, then bring your product out as soon as possible.

        Either do what Dennis advised or simply use the new 'oranges' as a new, follow-up product (whenever they're ready).

        Problem solved.

        John
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278710].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280167].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280304].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
            Banned
            [DELETED]
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    I voted launch 'now'

    because you can immediately sell them 2 oranges, with a promise of 3 free oranges later.


    and Steven, I hope you won't me saying, do yourself a favour and stop diverting your attention to the negativity in your threads, concentrate on your work in hand,

    If it's not positive or helpful ignore it, you are writing way too much replying to unhelpful comments, add that up at the end of a week, and that's half a day or more of your time being unproductive.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post

      I voted launch 'now'

      because you can immediately sell them 2 oranges, with a promise of 3 free oranges later.


      and Steven, I hope you won't me saying, do yourself a favour and stop diverting your attention to the negativity in your threads, concentrate on your work in hand,

      If it's not positive or helpful ignore it, you are writing way too much replying to unhelpful comments, add that up at the end of a week, and that's half a day or more of your time being unproductive.
      First, thanks. I think this is what I'm going to do.

      Secondly, I'm sorry for the outburst. I am letting my situation and certain people get to me and I shouldn't.

      Question: Let's say this thing takes off with lots of affiliates and I've made thousands of sales of the 3 oranges. How do I get the remaining 2 oranges to all these people when they're ready? I've never done a staggered release like that. The only thing I can think of is to make it a membership with a one time fee and set up a members area so that when the other 2 oranges are finished, I simply upload them to the members area. But I would still need a way to contact all these people to let them know the 2 oranges are there. The only way I can think of doing this without being accused of spam is to have them sign up for a buyers list. Some people might be turned off at this idea and because of it, not purchase. I am not going to be dealing with MMO (make money online) people with this product so some of the buyers may not be comfortable with being put on a list.

      Do you have any other suggestions for how I can get the additional products to them or is what I outlined above the best way?

      I need to make this work and I don't want to screw it up by doing the wrong thing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9278980].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim3
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post


        Do you have any other suggestions for how I can get the additional products to them or is what I outlined above the best way?
        If they buy through Paypal you will have their email address, plus you can add a personal message to the transaction, where you tell them about forthcoming freebies, and say

        you will be emailing them the details later, and to standby, look out, check their inbox etc. etc

        If you follow the Spam Act rules, unsubscribe link, your address, etc. you shouldn't have to worry about it.

        The membership site model is also good idea, you can add notices to the login/welcome page, where you could also have an opt-in form for the freebies.

        For delivery, you could think about using an expiring link script

        Assuming an audio track, you could include an info message at the end/beginning of the track(s) or just as a standalone track.
        If the file is zipped you could include a separate 'important message' .wav file
        You could use a PDF, containing some useful snippets about XYZ, and put all the necessary freebie info and links in that.
        You could upload the freebies to a private YouTube channel or perhaps some other audio storage site.


        They are just ideas that sprung to my feeble mind, other folks may have some better methods, anyway, hope it helps.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279993].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Do you have any other suggestions for how I can get the additional products to them or is what I outlined above the best way?
        Set up a membership site that works with JVZoo. In addition, JVZoo lets you automatically add buyers to a GetResponse email list.

        Once the bonuses are released, add them to the membership site then email the list.

        The membership site can be a one time fee and doesn't have to be reoccuring.

        Maybe make the bonuses available only after 30 days, so refunders don't get access.
        Signature
        Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
        Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    I didn't vote because the question you're asking is grossly irrelevant, vague, and ambiguous.

    It would be like me going on a PUA forum and asking, "hey guys, I'm trying to pick up women, should I wear white shoes or black shoes"?

    You can say I'm comparing apples to oranges but I'm not.

    Because I have no idea what your product is. I haven't seen your sales page. I haven't seen your offer. I haven't seen your business plan. I don't know enough about you, what you're doing, your past experience with products..... how you're driving traffic.... I don't know a thing about anything other than - "bonuses, yay or nay"?

    Most importantly. I think if you really knew what you were doing, and were a "wiz" like your name suggests... you wouldn't need to ask this question in the first place. You say the bonuses are good, and are tied into product? Great. Then wait till it's done. It's that simple.

    The *only reason* you're asking this question is the mere fact you're broke. You basically admitted to that yourself. That's how irrelevant this question is. You're nitpicking at nonsensical details just because you're tight on money.

    I have seen you complaining, whether directly or indirectly, about being "broke" or "tight on money" for the last year or 2. And it really make's me wonder if you have a job. Because if you don't, it might be time to get one.

    I've seen your posts on this forum and the 1 thing I DO know about you... the 1 thing you have thoroughly convinced me of... is that you have an endless list of excuses, reasons and justifications for why you're broke. All these "what ifs" and orange talk. That's why I try to avoid your threads. Like right now all this talk about fruit... I have no idea what you're even talking about. I really don't. To me it reads like: "if this happens and then that happens but then this happens and potentially this might go wrong but if this works and that works but this doesn't work what should I do" ?

    I really hope and pray that this product is successful. I genuinely hope it works for you. But just encase it doesn't. I really think its time you remove the phrase "copywriting wiz" from your name.

    -Rob
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279037].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom B
      Banned
      Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

      The *only reason* you're asking this question is the mere fact you're broke. You basically admitted to that yourself. That's how irrelevant this question is. You're nitpicking at nonsensical details just because you're tight on money.

      -Rob
      Rob, some times things are not always so black and white.

      For Steven's case, I think his questions come more from insecurity than anything else. You have to realize when you think you have it all figured out and things come crashing down around you, it can crush the ego and lead you to question everything.

      I think Steven has sold enough stuff to really know the answer to these questions. I just don't think he trusts his own decision making at this point. A little success will hopefully change that.

      Steven, I would set this offer up without the bonuses. The bonuses may/can help conversions but they are not a necessity to making sales. Get your offer right and add the bonuses later. You can surprise your buyers with the bonuses when they are done and I bet that will build up some warm and fuzzy feelings.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279065].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

        Rob, some times things are not always so black and white.

        For Steven's case, I think his questions come more from insecurity than anything else. You have to realize when you think you have it all figured out and things come crashing down around you, it can crush the ego and lead you to question everything.

        I think Steven has sold enough stuff to really know the answer to these questions. I just don't think he trusts his own decision making at this point. A little success will hopefully change that.

        Steven, I would set this offer up without the bonuses. The bonuses may/can help conversions but they are not a necessity to making sales. Get your offer right and add the bonuses later. You can surprise your buyers with the bonuses when they are done and I bet that will build up some warm and fuzzy feelings.
        Thomas, you're absolutely right. I have lost all my confidence. I am so afraid of screwing up it isn't funny. This is something that was never a problem for me. I threw caution to the wind and whatever happened, happened. And yeah, I had my failures. But there were always the successes afterwards. If this idea tanks (and it will ONLY if I don't execute it correctly) then I honestly don't know what I'll do because this product is probably my best chance. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that IF done properly, it will be bigger than all my previous products combined and will be evergreen to boot.

        So yeah, I'm nervous, unsure and even a little scared. I'm second guessing everything that goes through my head. It's no way to run a business and I know that. But it's hard to stop it when, as you've said, everything has crashed and burned around you.

        I have to believe that if I do this right, it'll work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279080].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tom B
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

          Thomas, you're absolutely right. I have lost all my confidence. I am so afraid of screwing up it isn't funny. This is something that was never a problem for me. I threw caution to the wind and whatever happened, happened. And yeah, I had my failures. But there were always the successes afterwards. If this idea tanks (and it will ONLY if I don't execute it correctly) then I honestly don't know what I'll do because this product is probably my best chance. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that IF done properly, it will be bigger than all my previous products combined and will be evergreen to boot.

          So yeah, I'm nervous, unsure and even a little scared. I'm second guessing everything that goes through my head. It's no way to run a business and I know that. But it's hard to stop it when, as you've said, everything has crashed and burned around you.

          I have to believe that if I do this right, it'll work.
          As you said previously, your problems happened when traffic vanished. It wasn't a copy problem, or a product offering problem or a bonus thing. I can only assume, based on previous posts, if traffic was still pouring in you would still be making money.

          That means the way you structured offers worked and would continue to work if the traffic was there. It isn't a big deal asking this question and getting feedback, but you should also be confident in your experience since that isn't the reason things crashed.

          As for evergreen products, they are a good thing but not something I would be putting faith in. What I mean, just because they are evergreen doesn't mean it is a set and forget type of business.

          I always said product creators should have a good base of evergreen products before putting out more one-time products . That is good you are developing that solid base there but don't get scared off of more limited appeal products (non-evergreen?) once you got that base established.

          I am sure you understand all of that but I also post for others reading these threads.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279087].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

      I didn't vote because the question you're asking is grossly irrelevant, vague, and ambiguous.

      It would be like me going on a PUA forum and asking, "hey guys, I'm trying to pick up women, should I wear white shoes or black shoes"?

      You can say I'm comparing apples to oranges but I'm not.

      Because I have no idea what your product is. I haven't seen your sales page. I haven't seen your offer. I haven't seen your business plan. I don't know enough about you, what you're doing, your past experience with products..... how you're driving traffic.... I don't know a thing about anything other than - "bonuses, yay or nay"?

      Most importantly. I think if you really knew what you were doing, and were a "wiz" like your name suggests... you wouldn't need to ask this question in the first place. You say the bonuses are good, and are tied into product? Great. Then wait till it's done. It's that simple.

      The *only reason* you're asking this question is the mere fact you're broke. You basically admitted to that yourself. That's how irrelevant this question is. You're nitpicking at nonsensical details just because you're tight on money.

      I have seen you complaining, whether directly or indirectly, about being "broke" or "tight on money" for the last year or 2. And it really make's me wonder if you have a job. Because if you don't, it might be time to get one.

      I've seen your posts on this forum and the 1 thing I DO know about you... the 1 thing you have thoroughly convinced me of... is that you have an endless list of excuses, reasons and justifications for why you're broke. All these "what ifs" and orange talk. That's why I try to avoid your threads. Like right now all this talk about fruit... I have no idea what you're even talking about. I really don't. To me it reads like: "if this happens and then that happens but then this happens and potentially this might go wrong but if this works and that works but this doesn't work what should I do" ?

      I really hope and pray that this product is successful. I genuinely hope it works for you. But just encase it doesn't. I really think its time you remove the phrase "copywriting wiz" from your name.

      -Rob
      Rob:

      I made the post vague for 2 reasons.

      1) I don't want somebody to steal this idea.

      2) I don't want the thread to come off like I'm promoting my product. I've been accused of sig pimping and promotion so I didn't want their to be the slightest hint of impropriety.

      But you answered my question without realizing it, or maybe you did. Yes, the bonuses are really just more of the main product. So you say if that's the case, I should wait. I think that's what I'm going to do. I want this product to have the most perceived value for my customers as possible.

      And no, I don't know what I"m doing. If I did, I wouldn't be broke. As far as getting a "job" that isn't a possibility because of health issues. Not everybody can work. I lost my last corporate America job in 2000. I've been working for myself since 2003 after 3 years of not being able to find anything else. For 9 years I did very well. My recent problems are because I thought my marketing methods would always work. They didn't. It has nothing to do with my copywriting skills. The traffic just stopped, period.

      So in spite of your "New Jersey" snarkiness (Yeah, I'm a Jersey boy too) you have helped me more than you know. And for that I thank you. But God do I hate this state. It's almost as bad as New York.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279069].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
        Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

        Rob, some times things are not always so black and white.

        For Steven's case, I think his questions come more from insecurity than anything else. You have to realize when you think you have it all figured out and things come crashing down around you, it can crush the ego and lead you to question everything.
        I was not aware of that. Thank you for enlightening me.

        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Rob:

        I made the post vague for 2 reasons.

        1) I don't want somebody to steal this idea.

        2) I don't want the thread to come off like I'm promoting my product. I've been accused of sig pimping and promotion so I didn't want their to be the slightest hint of impropriety.

        But you answered my question without realizing it, or maybe you did. Yes, the bonuses are really just more of the main product. So you say if that's the case, I should wait. I think that's what I'm going to do. I want this product to have the most perceived value for my customers as possible.

        And no, I don't know what I"m doing. If I did, I wouldn't be broke. As far as getting a "job" that isn't a possibility because of health issues. Not everybody can work. I lost my last corporate America job in 2000. I've been working for myself since 2003 after 3 years of not being able to find anything else. For 9 years I did very well. My recent problems are because I thought my marketing methods would always work. They didn't. It has nothing to do with my copywriting skills. The traffic just stopped, period.

        So in spite of your "New Jersey" snarkiness (Yeah, I'm a Jersey boy too) you have helped me more than you know. And for that I thank you. But God do I hate this state. It's almost as bad as New York.
        ROFL! I hate New Jersey too. I really do. Just not quite as bad as New York like you say.

        And I apologize about the job remark. You look quite healthy and chipper in your avy but now I stand both humbled and deceived (deceived due to my own ignorance).

        You seem to be on the opposite side of the spectrum as myself.. which I find fairly interesting. I'm pretty good at driving traffic. I can easily rank videos, sites, blogger, facebook pages... nearly any low to moderate competition keyword I can rank and drive traffic for. My main problem is really maximizing conversions. I could probably make the same money I make today with 1/100th the amount of traffic if I had your copywriting abilities.

        With that said, I wish you the best man. You really just killed me with kindness and it goes to show what type of character you really have. You basically flipped my entire perception of you upside down. And I would have never assumed you're from NJ solely based on your manners lol.

        Nevertheless, I'm not sure what niches you're promoting in or if you'll be using any affiliates. But if it's anything in health, software, technology or music ... and if there's any way I can help you with traffic, please let me know.

        If not, thanks again for being so candid and cool about everything.

        -Rob
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279138].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

          I was not aware of that. Thank you for enlightening me.



          ROFL! I hate New Jersey too. I really do. Just not quite as bad as New York like you say.

          And I apologize about the job remark. You look quite healthy and chipper in your avy but now I stand both humbled and deceived (deceived due to my own ignorance).

          You seem to be on the opposite side of the spectrum as myself.. which I find fairly interesting. I'm pretty good at driving traffic. I can easily rank videos, sites, blogger, facebook pages... nearly any low to moderate competition keyword I can rank and drive traffic for. My main problem is really maximizing conversions. I could probably make the same money I make today with 1/100th the amount of traffic if I had your copywriting abilities.

          With that said, I wish you the best man. You really just killed me with kindness and it goes to show what type of character you really have. You basically flipped my entire perception of you upside down. And I would have never assumed you're from NJ solely based on your manners lol.

          Nevertheless, I'm not sure what niches you're promoting in or if you'll be using any affiliates. But if it's anything in health, software, technology or music ... and if there's any way I can help you with traffic, please let me know.

          If not, thanks again for being so candid and cool about everything.

          -Rob
          Yes, you can absolutely help me and I'll make it worth your while. Can I PM you because I don't want to divulge any details publicly.

          Thanks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    the easiest thing to do is create a super simple link bait or presell type of product to "launch" now (or at least early) and then finish the bonuses and launch the main product with the bonuses the right way.

    BTW, by link bait product i mean something like a checklist, cheatsheat, mindmap,resource guide, infographic....

    from your position with low funds and little leverage (in the way of connections who will promote becasue you just sent them sales last week), you need to start something sooner rather than later. But you dont want to mess up your "big" launch opportunity by rushing things.

    if you do a super simple link bait style product it could go cheap for 100% commission to start the list building, launch buzz, affiliate networking,....... you get the idea. If i remember right you r thinking music niche? some of the IM launch tactics will work much better to audiences and affiliates/partners who dont see them multiple times a day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279093].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom B
      Banned
      Also, I forgot to add, don't forget to lookat PLR stuff being sold here.

      Say you are releasing a product of music for videos creation. You can also package video background graphics and/or video graphics to make it a complete video package.

      I know money is an issue so I would look into bartering if you can find something here that would fit your offer. For example, plr music for plr graphics or something like that.

      I added some bonuses exactly like that and it helped conversions because the bonuses made sense when looking at the offer.

      The reason I am saying this is because bonuses can be added without requiring a lot of time on your part. The key is to make it a complete package depending on what you're selling.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Do it now man.



    You could promote the notion that you're creating some UNFATHOMABLY ELITE bonuses to be added later...

    You could open a copywriting clinic on that one idea alone...

    "In fact... This is so awesome that I'm going to CONTINUALLY GIVE YOU BONUSES over the next XYZ quantity of time because I'm so passionate about ABC!"



    Even if it totally flops, just repackage it later with a better angle... (And if you're launching this internally or on a small scale; nobody will even know that it tanked. Nothing to lose, other than a potential marketing budget).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279609].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      The best reason for releasing the product now, aside from generating some cash, is to get some early feedback on the product itself.

      Meanwhile, you can continue working on the bonus material and also plan an "Official" launch, perhaps getting some of the early adopters on board as affiliates.

      It doesn't really matter what the product is - manufacturers do this all the time. If they waited to make a given model perfect, they'd go broke in a hurry.

      Keep the faith brother...

      [EDIT] When you're ready, let me know and I'll hit up my old list about it (not as an affiliate). Just let me review it first.
      Thanks Mike. I appreciate the offer but this isn't a Make Money Online product. It's got nothing to do with my old business model. So I don't know if your list would be interested in it other than to be affiliates for it if they're marketers. If that's the case, then yes, I'll send you all the details when the affiliate program is ready and if you can help, great.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gluckspilz
    Just launch 1.0, get feed back and re-launch 2.0
    Signature

    Want To Learn Affiliate Marketing The Right Way?
    Click Here To Get Free Access To Our Free Course!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fun to Write
    I suggest waiting and not releasing the product until it is of the best quality. Bonuses should only be included if they bring a lot of value, but are not necessary to enjoy the main product. By waiting, you are not releasing something out of desperation, which can cause people to make mistakes - I know from personal experience. You want this product to sell over the long term, I assume. So, quality and value trumps everything.

    If you do choose to release it now, make sure it is exactly the product you would be proud to release if your money situation wasn't as it is now.

    By the way, I LOVE New York!
    Signature

    Focus+Smart Work+Persistence=Success

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9279747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brendon Zahrndt
    Steve,

    Test it man.

    Throw some traffic at your offer with the bonuses and throw some traffic at it without the bonuses.

    You never know how the market is going to respond despite your 'no brainer' assumption - and you ought to know better than most what happens when you assume anything about a product that you haven't tested.

    Dennis nailed it.

    Create the bonus as you go, if you can. It might not need to be completed before launch.

    But for goodness sake test the conversions before making any assumptions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Brendon Zahrndt View Post

      Steve,

      Test it man.

      Throw some traffic at your offer with the bonuses and throw some traffic at it without the bonuses.

      You never know how the market is going to respond despite your 'no brainer' assumption - and you ought to know better than most what happens when you assume anything about a product that you haven't tested.

      Dennis nailed it.

      Create the bonus as you go, if you can. It might not need to be completed before launch.

      But for goodness sake test the conversions before making any assumptions.
      Well, that's another problem. My first business collapsed because the methods I used to generate traffic stopped working thanks to the Google slaps. I don't know how to generate traffic anymore. My "testing" was going to have to come from a few affiliates willing to take a chance on promoting this. I am going to approach the top sites in the niche making them an offer that would be difficult to turn down. If they accept (I'm going to have to write one hell of a cover letter) and agree to promote on their own sites, that may be all I need if my hunch is correct about how much in demand this product will be for that niche. Then, I can approach other affiliates through this forum or wherever and give them some numbers so they can see the offer converts.

      But as far as my putting up a sales page and promoting it myself, I might as well just put a gun to my head now. Generating any kind of sufficient traffic has been my problem ever since my brand of article marketing died. Yes, I had a lousy model, screwed it up by not doing it right and it died. So I have to make the best of what I have now and that's relying on other people to promote this.

      My hope is that a few will take the chance. If not, oh well, that's life. But my own skills aren't going to produce any kind of results as traffic generation is my weakest skill. I either need affiliates or a JV partner. Those are my only options.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280079].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280455].message }}
  • Based on the things you've been saying here and in other threads -- You need money now, and you need to use all the time that you have to solve this problem. So:

    Considering these things, what I'd do is:

    Release the products now (without the bonuses, instead of doing the bonuses now and nothing else. Why?

    If I were in a similar situation, then I wouldn't want to take a pass on these opportunities:

    *** Possibly earn some money (or a lot) from the launch;

    *** Possibly earn more money (or a lot) from doing other things;

    *** Gain relevant data that might be useful for improving both the products now and the bonuses in the next launch; and

    *** Possibly earn more money (or a lot more) than my projections now from the next launch (due to relevant data).....

    How? I'd effectively divide the time that I have each day to three main tasks. These are:

    *** Keep track of the kind of sales I'd be getting from this along with the results that I could use to improve my plan for the next launch (with the bonuses;

    *** Do some other things that could most likely make me earn money; and

    *** Use relevant data from the launch to complete and improve the bonuses for the next improved release of the same products. Also:

    If you intend to release your products now without the bonuses, then your next problem is how to implement a system where you'd be able to notify buyers regarding your follow-up bonuses. What I'd do to solve this is:

    *** Implement into the check out page an enticing description about these free bonuses, followed by a box to place their emails if they want to be notified upon the release of these free bonuses (tell them your target date) and the credit card form / Pay Now PayPal button -- You said your target buyers aren't in the get rich quick MMO / IM crowd, so they won't most likely mind, since most (if not all of them) might not consider this as a way to add them to a mailing list where you just promote stuff for them to buy...
    Signature

    Hire Us to Get More Targeted Traffic & Sales in Tech, Business & Digital Marketing Niches — Text Chat with Me in Skype HERE
    I'm a Digital Marketing Consultant, Startup Entrepreneur, Content Writer & AI / ML / DL Developer — BBC Business News Interview & VIsION, Wearable AI Device for the Blind

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crictionary
      The addition of bonuses doesn't really matter if your product is worth buying for the customers .So i have voted NOW as my share of thought.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9280620].message }}

Trending Topics