Depression Niche - Monotization

27 replies
This is obviously a huge niche and something I have knowledge of.
Are there ways to monotize this niche...ethically?

I mean there is a ton of free information out there on the subject of depression and anxiety as well as forums and support groups etc.
So how is there room for monotization?
And what kind of monotization?
#depression #monotization #niche
  • This niche is very big, but it is also very wide in terms of where to start.

    If you're experienced, you could write a Kindle book and sell it as your own.

    Kindle is super hot right now by the way.

    You could try selling products in this niche from Clickbank through different forums.

    I loved typing around anxiety and depression forums giving advice, and then occasionally leading them to a landing page thar would lead them to my affiliate link on Clickbank.

    It's a nice little money maker.

    This niche is very saturated in terms of products on Clickbank, and also on Google with rankings, so so starting off a new self help site for this niche would be very difficult. However, you could always piggy back off of other Clickbank products and make money off of those.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9294820].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author buysellbrowse
    Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

    This is obviously a huge niche and something I have knowledge of.
    Are there ways to monotize this niche...ethically?

    I mean there is a ton of free information out there on the subject of depression and anxiety as well as forums and support groups etc.
    So how is there room for monotization?
    And what kind of monotization?
    Signature
    buysell-browse.com * Free Classifieds Advertising & Promotion *
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dana67
      I've seen some monetized advertisements and videos for depression, but I am not sure who is providing them. I've just seen them in passing. Some networks may have offers/signups related to depression as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stevenjacobs
    Banned
    kindle is something you can make money with always
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296274].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      As always, it all starts with market research.

      Get online and do your research and you'll see where there are gaps in the products and services available online.

      You'll find out where people interested in the market hang out.

      You'll be able to see what problems and wants are out there so you can fill them with a paid product.

      You'll be able to see the competition and what's already selling and what isn't.

      If you skip this step, the odds are good that you'll never know how to monetize your business. Asking Warriors who haven't done the research is building your business on real shakey ground.

      Good luck with this project.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    If possible, see if you can become an affiliate for Latuda or Zyprexa... taken with Prozac in the morning. Both are excellent for depression.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trevord92
    Lots of ways to monetise this ethically - not just with drugs but with natural alternatives as well:
    • Clickbank - but get a review copy first so you know you agree with what's being said/taught
    • Amazon products
    • Hypnosis downloads
    • Help for people who know people suffering from depression
    • Taken to a local level, referalls to local practitioners
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AuthorityBuilder
    Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

    This is obviously a huge niche and something I have knowledge of.
    Are there ways to monotize this niche...ethically?

    I mean there is a ton of free information out there on the subject of depression and anxiety as well as forums and support groups etc.
    So how is there room for monotization?
    And what kind of monotization?
    There is lots of room for monetizing depression and anxiety blogs. The prevalent ad banners are already there. Besides that, you can sell eBooks, videos, audios (if you have own products) or be affiliates of other's products.

    If you have specialized knowledge, you can give consultation, premium remedies to depression problems.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeremy49
    Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

    This is obviously a huge niche and something I have knowledge of.
    Are there ways to monotize this niche...ethically?

    I mean there is a ton of free information out there on the subject of depression and anxiety as well as forums and support groups etc.
    So how is there room for monotization?
    And what kind of monotization?
    Is your ethic problem that the information is already out there and you do not feel you can charge money for providing the same information?

    If so, do not worry, because most information is already free for any subject, but people still buy information products. Some of the reasons why people will willing pay you for the same information presented differently:


    1) Creditability - If they pay for something they believe it must be good and correct information
    2) Convenience - Easy to find a solution to their problem
    3) Comprehension - Your paid product is easier to understand and take action from


    This is just some of the reasons, but they all share one thing in common. They add value in someway to buyer of your products, otherwise they would not buy. As these products add value, they are helping people so there is no issue in my opinion, of ethics.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9296787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      There's a ton of free information on the subject? That means you'll have to do a ton of research as Steve B said.

      You'll need to find the unmet, overlooked or under-served need of the buyers, not just the information seekers .. big difference

      Otherwise you'll just be another me-too person selling a me-too product or service in a saturated market.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9297391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    If you have specialized knowledge, you can give consultation, premium remedies to depression problems.
    Here in the US you can get in serious trouble messing around with this.

    I suggest you exhaustively research the legal liabilities before you dive in to anything "medical" related.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9297424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      This is one of those markets I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole.

      Even if you can ignore the fact that you're playing with the lives of people you'll never even meet, with the frank possibility that your "cure" could end up in suicide and the blood would be on your hands, there's a built in conflict of interest.

      If you cure their depression, they no longer need you. If you don't, eventually they'll figure out you're just another hustler, and make them even more depressed.

      You can't legally claim a "cure" without the clinical studies (replicated) to prove it, but unless you can claim a cure, why would anyone buy your stuff?

      No, thanks. Not for me...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9297474].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PRS1966
        I would never imply that I had a cure, because there is NO cure.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9627099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sharpturn
    Thanks guys.

    Actually I am not looking into any depression cures or medications to sell to people. I suffer from depression myself so I would't go down that road.

    However, I am a fitness trainer and was thinking more of specializing for depressed people because I know how hard it is to stay motivated and exercise when your mind is a constant mess.

    The thing is this may be a really tough start because I would be working within two massive markets depression and weight loss or exercise.

    Not sure what to do.
    Signature
    >>>FREE NEWBIE COURSE<<< - Earn 4-5 Figures A Month From Your Home!
    PROFITS FROM PUBLISHING
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9297695].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

      Thanks guys.

      Actually I am not looking into any depression cures or medications to sell to people. I suffer from depression myself so I would't go down that road.

      However, I am a fitness trainer and was thinking more of specializing for depressed people because I know how hard it is to stay motivated and exercise when your mind is a constant mess.

      The thing is this may be a really tough start because I would be working within two massive markets depression and weight loss or exercise.

      Not sure what to do.
      The problem isn't the size of the individual markets. It's the size of the overlap, and your ability to communicate with them.

      And once you can communicate with them, how do you differentiate yourself from every two-bit affiliate with a fictional story about how this ebook or that membership site miraculously turned their life around?

      You're a fitness trainer who suffers from depression. How do you stay motivated? And what benefits do you see from exercising, as a depressed person specifically?

      (You don't have to answer that on a public forum - just think about it.)

      And while you can't claim a cure, you can offer anecdotal evidence (your own story) with the disclaimer that what worked for you may not work for someone else.

      Given your answer quoted here, you may be one of the few people actually in a position to make the life of some depressed people better. Good luck to you...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9297864].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sharpturn
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        The problem isn't the size of the individual markets. It's the size of the overlap, and your ability to communicate with them.

        And once you can communicate with them, how do you differentiate yourself from every two-bit affiliate with a fictional story about how this ebook or that membership site miraculously turned their life around?

        You're a fitness trainer who suffers from depression. How do you stay motivated? And what benefits do you see from exercising, as a depressed person specifically?

        (You don't have to answer that on a public forum - just think about it.)

        And while you can't claim a cure, you can offer anecdotal evidence (your own story) with the disclaimer that what worked for you may not work for someone else.

        Given your answer quoted here, you may be one of the few people actually in a position to make the life of some depressed people better. Good luck to you...
        Thanks for this.
        I do need to watch how I present myself so that people know that I am genuine.

        One thing that is holding me back is deciding how to get started in this. I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is to pick a domain name and set up a website.

        I would add a ton of informational posts and then try to get some free traffic to it. I would have to get an email list running and hopefully in time I would gain enough trust to set up monetization of the site.

        I already have many kindle books written but I would write a few more on the subject of depression and exercise and see what happens.

        All that stuff seems fairly doable but what worries me is being such a tiny unknown fish in a massive ocean of big and not so hungry fish!

        Getting noticed!!
        Signature
        >>>FREE NEWBIE COURSE<<< - Earn 4-5 Figures A Month From Your Home!
        PROFITS FROM PUBLISHING
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298863].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author datingworld
          Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

          All that stuff seems fairly doable but what worries me is being such a tiny unknown fish in a massive ocean of big and not so hungry fish!
          Thorough research is essential to determine the demand and what sort of stuff people are interested in this niche.
          When it comes to monetizing blog, deep research needs to be done. Creating and running a successful blog is not very easy and how to monetize it is an essential question.
          Kindle is one of the good options I would go for.

          Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

          I wouldn't touch the pills side of things but I am comfortable with all the other suggestions.
          That's good as pills is clinical subject and you wouldn't have any command on this topic. Better to stay away from any clinical remedies.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298879].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

          I already have many kindle books written but I would write a few more on the subject of depression and exercise and see what happens.

          All that stuff seems fairly doable but what worries me is being such a tiny unknown fish in a massive ocean of big and not so hungry fish!

          Getting noticed!!
          On Kindle, you'd have the same problem as every other indie publishing there. There are also a lot of good guides available, some free (both Amazon and Smashwords have free guides for Kindle publishing). Mentioning a "free bonus" with subscription within the first 10% of the book will help you get subscribers even if they don't buy the book. (Amazon includes roughly the first 10% in both their sample downloads and Look Inside feature.)

          As for those massive oceans, if you look at it like an angler, those fish tend to congregate in certain areas. All you are looking for are the hot spots where the fish interested in using exercise to relieve depression hang out. And just like finding a fishing honey hole, it takes some study, some research and some trial and error.

          Here in Florida, it's possible to catch a lot of fish in very shallow water. Why are the fish there? Partly because the bigger, hungry fish can't go there. That's your cue.

          Do the research to find out which groups of people benefit the most from your approach, and carve off little slices of those groups. As a solo entrepreneur, you can live very well on market segments that the big boys couldn't afford to touch.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9299153].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sharpturn
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            As for those massive oceans, if you look at it like an angler, those fish tend to congregate in certain areas. All you are looking for are the hot spots where the fish interested in using exercise to relieve depression hang out. And just like finding a fishing honey hole, it takes some study, some research and some trial and error.

            Here in Florida, it's possible to catch a lot of fish in very shallow water. Why are the fish there? Partly because the bigger, hungry fish can't go there. That's your cue.

            Do the research to find out which groups of people benefit the most from your approach, and carve off little slices of those groups. As a solo entrepreneur, you can live very well on market segments that the big boys couldn't afford to touch.
            This is very helpful advice. It makes me realize that there is enough "fish" out there for everyone. I just need to do the work to find my bit of ocean.
            Signature
            >>>FREE NEWBIE COURSE<<< - Earn 4-5 Figures A Month From Your Home!
            PROFITS FROM PUBLISHING
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9299529].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author buysellbrowse
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            Here in Florida, it's possible to catch a lot of fish in very shallow water. Why are the fish there? Partly because the bigger, hungry fish can't go there. That's your cue.
            Teach a man how to fish ...

            Signature
            buysell-browse.com * Free Classifieds Advertising & Promotion *
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9299885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    I don't know this niche well and I can't ethically recommend anything but just off the top of my head things that you could potentially promote...

    - Self help guides
    - Natural remedies
    - Cognitive behavior therapy
    - Exercise routines that naturally boost your mood
    - Healthy eating plans
    - Pills (definitely need to make sure it's legal to promote them)
    - Therapy
    - Hypnosis

    You'd need to look into whether it's legal / ethical to promote these or not first of course.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sharpturn
      Originally Posted by Stuart Walker View Post

      I don't know this niche well and I can't ethically recommend anything but just off the top of my head things that you could potentially promote...

      - Self help guides
      - Natural remedies
      - Cognitive behavior therapy
      - Exercise routines that naturally boost your mood
      - Healthy eating plans
      - Pills (definitely need to make sure it's legal to promote them)
      - Therapy
      - Hypnosis

      You'd need to look into whether it's legal / ethical to promote these or not first of course.
      Thank you for this list.
      These are certainly areas I can look into once I get a mailing list set up. I wouldn't touch the pills side of things but I am comfortable with all the other suggestions.

      By the way I like your site. I bookmarked it for future reads.
      Signature
      >>>FREE NEWBIE COURSE<<< - Earn 4-5 Figures A Month From Your Home!
      PROFITS FROM PUBLISHING
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZephyrIon
    Originally Posted by sharpturn View Post

    This is obviously a huge niche and something I have knowledge of.
    Are there ways to monotize this niche...ethically?

    I mean there is a ton of free information out there on the subject of depression and anxiety as well as forums and support groups etc.
    So how is there room for monotization?
    And what kind of monotization?
    Sure.

    For example run a CPL offer -
    FREE: Pediatric Depression Clinical Trial - Zip Targeted | US | Affiliate Programs, Offers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Phil Steptoe
    You could try Kindle, but just remember that Amazon WILL ban you for posting affiliate links in your eBook. You're better off making a niche website. The niche is very large and it is an evergreen niche (will always be around) so there is quite a bit of earning potential. Write a free eBook and build a list on your site. Then, use this list to blast useful relevant products to your subscribers. The money is in the list, my friend.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pdrs
    sorry to add nothing to the thread. But the misspelling in this case absolutely cracked me up.
    Signature
    RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sharpturn
      Originally Posted by pdrs View Post

      sorry to add nothing to the thread. But the misspelling in this case absolutely cracked me up.
      Ok.....I spelt monetization wrong.
      Not sure where the big laugh in that is.
      Signature
      >>>FREE NEWBIE COURSE<<< - Earn 4-5 Figures A Month From Your Home!
      PROFITS FROM PUBLISHING
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author megamind22
    There are many ways to monetize this niche and the good thing about this niche is its profitable and has less competitions compared to IM/MMO/WEIGHT LOSS

    One easy way that you can monetize this niche is through clickbank. There you'd find good product products in that niche.

    Hope that helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9298886].message }}

Trending Topics