Micro Niche Sites Vs. Authority Sites... what's better?

23 replies
Hey ho, all my fellow warriors!

I just wanted to start a friendly fight between warriors.

So what do you think is better, and please explain why.

What do you think is a better way to go: Micro Niche sites or Authority Sites???

I know what I'm building. But I wanna see the arguments for both.

Ok, you got some splaining to do...

Thanks,

Robert C.----> Too cool for school (not really, I'm involved in the biggest online education of my life.... deep)
#authority #micro #niche #sites
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9312591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erikko
    To answer your question, micro niche sites can be authority sites as well but for the sake of argument, I'll choose authority.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9312596].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seoboyz01
      I don't think there is any huge difference between micro niche site and authority site.
      I can build a micro niche site dedicated to any specific niche and make it authoritative by providing quality and informative aricles to my readers.


      If I have an interest in any particular niche than I will go for a micro niche site. I love to do it as people can classify "ohhh this site is only about weight loss. This site is authorotative for weight loss niche" It will create more trust on Google and redears.

      Micro niche sites with really helpful and informative articles shows the expertise of the author at that niche.
      Signature
      Google DOMINATION SEO service - Take your site 1st page of Google.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9312654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fatchap
    I have often wondered what the difference is between the two. Does quantity outweigh quality? Just because a site has 600 pages is it automatically an authority?

    I like to think my sites although on specific topics are also quality and have authority. So perhaps the answer is the best site has original content meaning words, pics, images etc that is good to read. Or is that too idealistic?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9312671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GlenH
      Google is the one that will determine if your site is worthy of becoming and authority in any specific niche.

      Not you.

      Just because your site has 10 pages...100 pages or 1000 pages, has nothing to do with whether its an 'authority' in a niche.

      The fact that you might have a stack of content on your site, doesn't make it 'authority' site

      It takes a missive amount of work to get any site to become a true 'authority' site in a niche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9312751].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lateef Olajide
        Originally Posted by GlenH View Post

        Google is the one that will determine if your site is worthy of becoming and authority in any specific niche.
        I disagree with you. I think it's mistake most Im'ers are making. There are several authority sites that didn't depend on google. In fact Google don't have choice but to recognize your authority. And I don't even think one should rely on google or any single traffic source in this age any longer.

        Your site is about people. Not google.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313335].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Lateef Olajide View Post

          I disagree with you. I think it's mistake most Im'ers are making. There are several authority sites that didn't depend on google. In fact Google don't have choice but to recognize your authority. And I don't even think one should rely on google or any single traffic source in this age any longer.

          Your site is about people. Not google.
          I agree with you. It will be a big mistake if someone depends only on Google for traffic. There is guarantee that your site will rank well in Google. There are sites which are getting massive traffic everyday through other marketing strategies.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9317375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Holmes
    I'm going to go with Authority Sites - simply because of the gradual progress search engines have made that make the work of ranking niche sites more and more difficult.

    Spending all your time on a single site - backlinks to a single site - writing articles for a single site - much easier in my opinion.

    On the other hand, you'd better be right... The Parento Principle would suggest that the niche site builder has a greater chance to hit a homerun.

    But, as several others have already pointed out, the difference is narrowing between the two... your Authority Site could, for example, be set up in a silo format with 'niche' sites being simply a part of your overall website.

    I think that the real difference between the two is more a matter of mindset... are you jumping from one niche to another ... building websites as you go? Or are you spending all your time on a single site, which will get bigger and bigger as times goes on?

    I've build niche sites in the past, but now I'm spending all my time on just a single site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zodiax
    Personally, I think that micro niche sites can be very profitable in the long run, because you can cough out so many of them and also use pre-made templates to speed up the process.

    Authority sites are better for longevity and branding yourself, and are good game plan if you don't like the grunt work of making 5-10 sites each month trying to turn profit.
    Signature

    'I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion'
    -Muhammad Ali

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xnice
    With beginners, you should use micro niche, with less competitors, you can reach the goal faster.
    After that, you can develop this site to authority site. So you must choose the domain name suit for authority site.
    Signature
    Need Quality Backlinks: Check Out How To Buy Quality Backlinks in 2018?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by Robert X View Post

    So what do you think is better, and please explain why. What do you think is a better way to go: Micro Niche sites or Authority Sites?

    Robert X,

    There is no valid comparison between the two because they are totally different animals. They serve different purposes.

    What's better, a fork or a spoon?

    Both can make money. Both have a place in the market.

    Typically, those who choose to focus on micro niche sites subscribe to the philosophy that many small streams of income is a way to diversify your profit and protect your monthly revenue in case one or more sites stop earning. So they create lots of very focused sites but don't typically care to put a lot of continuing effort into each one.

    A contrasting philosophy is to put all your effort into one site and make it a powerhouse that draws monthly income from multiple products and services in one specific niche. It has the power and credentials to become a portal or hub for enthusiasts in the niche.

    Folks here at the WForum may have a personal preference in one model or the other, but there is no "one is better than the other" answer.

    Good luck with whichever you choose.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313488].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AffiliatingAlan
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Robert X,

      There is no valid comparison between the two because they are totally different animals. They serve different purposes.

      What's better, a fork or a spoon?

      Both can make money. Both have a place in the market.

      Typically, those who choose to focus on micro niche sites subscribe to the philosophy that many small streams of income is a way to diversify your profit and protect your monthly revenue in case one or more sites stop earning. So they create lots of very focused sites but don't typically care to put a lot of continuing effort into each one.

      A contrasting philosophy is to put all your effort into one site and make it a powerhouse that draws monthly income from multiple products and services in one specific niche. It has the power and credentials to become a portal or hub for enthusiasts in the niche.

      Folks here at the WForum may have a personal preference in one model or the other, but there is no "one is better than the other" answer.

      Good luck with whichever you choose.

      Steve
      This is the best answer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9314990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author juan peter
    I personally prefer micro niche sites.
    It doesn't need much efforts.
    However the main purpose of sites are to make money from it
    whichever of them (authority or micro niche) makes you money is better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrewsfm
    it depends on your goals and what your niche is. Authority is good if you are looking to brand yourself as a leader in your niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9313579].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    I just had a similar discussion with one of my list subscribers today about niche site versus authority site.

    I explained to her that a niche site can ALSO be an authority site. An authority site in it's niche.

    Anyway I think I understand what you are asking and I prefer sites that are not too limited these days, i.e. no sites based around reviewing 1 product, as these small sites have limited scope and are tough to expand and often far too reliant on SEO traffic.

    A site that covers a wider range of topics (but not too wide) has more potential, more income streams, more traffic sources, a bigger audience IME.

    Google is the one that will determine if your site is worthy of becoming and authority in any specific niche.

    Not you.

    Just because your site has 10 pages...100 pages or 1000 pages, has nothing to do with whether its an 'authority' in a niche.

    The fact that you might have a stack of content on your site, doesn't make it 'authority' site

    It takes a missive amount of work to get any site to become a true 'authority' site in a niche
    I don't agree with your point about Google but I do agree that page size or volume of content isn't what determines an authority site.

    Google doesn't decide anything.

    Just because a site isn't ranking at the top of Google doesn't mean it's not an authority site.

    Some people mistakenly think any site with "more than 15 pages" however instantly makes it an authority when of course it does not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9314462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salmanijaz
    Great Discussion ...

    I agree that authority site is by far a better than micro sites but I will opt for micro sites. For me TIME is MONEY. In order to make an authority site you need time. You can not start stuffing multiple articles on a website in a day and think that it will rank faster.
    In the micro niche sites you can do SEO in parallel and add quality stuff to different sites.
    I think at the end of the day, it takes the same time to rank a single site and a multiple sites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9315078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fredlynx
      Authority all the way. Only problem is that you can't really decide to make one. You do not make the decision if it's authority or not, SE's do that. You could ofc pump a lot of time and money into it but I would say that it's better to start out with niche in mind and see what has potential to grow out into a potential authority site.
      Signature
      [Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

      Call to Action Buttons - End-all-collection
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9315306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    Only problem is that you can't really decide to make one. You do not make the decision if it's authority or not, SE's do tha
    Search engines do NOT decide that. Your audience and those in the wider niche decide if your site is an authority site or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9315734].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fredlynx
      Originally Posted by Stuart Walker View Post

      Search engines do NOT decide that. Your audience and those in the wider niche decide if your site is an authority site or not.
      Well mister.. Instead of marking words you should read the OP and read between the lines in the question asked instead of trying to debunk my answer. Who the hell builds a micro niche site without having SEO in mind for driving traffic? Sure as hell I wouldn't. Micro niche is a baby conceived from SEO - hence SEO. That's how I interpreted the question at least. Thus my answer.
      Signature
      [Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

      Call to Action Buttons - End-all-collection
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9319958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ijohnson
    I think authority sites are the way to go but I would like to learn more about how to use micro-niche sites to boost juice to an authority site.

    Will you get penalized for linking to and from your micro-niche sites?
    Signature
    Make every day count!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9316018].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fredlynx
      Originally Posted by ijohnson View Post

      I think authority sites are the way to go but I would like to learn more about how to use micro-niche sites to boost juice to an authority site.

      Will you get penalized for linking to and from your micro-niche sites?
      If they are all owned by you and on the same topic/keywords, then the answer is - yes.
      Signature
      [Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

      Call to Action Buttons - End-all-collection
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9320412].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cheapprice175
    Authority sites for me if you've the money and patience. That's because Google is changing algorithms like anything and you never know when your site would get attacked by one of those fierce animals (I mean the cute Panda or penguin or hummingbird or ...anteater ). But, authority sites are risk free IMHO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9316096].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Melissahoster
    Banned
    I have both. The micro niche sites are for short term money and the authority sites are more of a long term investment that I hope will feed me in my old age days. But, micro site have become risky nowadays and ranking/earnings are always changing vastly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9317266].message }}

Trending Topics