New to Internet Marketing. Information Overload.

16 replies
Hey, my name is Michael, I'm 25 and I just got into internet marketing about a month ago. I've been spending time just trying to soak up information and formulate a business model but there is just so much out there that I'm paralyzed. I hope to build sites myself, but I would like to establish a foundation built on acquiring sites already generating revenue, to allow myself financial freedom to focus on the business full time. Just fishing for any tips all of you might have. Some questions I have.

I have about $20,000 to invest. How would you recommend I split up the investment (between how many sites)?

What kind of sites would be easiest for me to maintain without much experience in Internet Marketing?

What areas should I focus on learning in the beginning?

What set of tools (SEMrush, SEOmoz, Market Samurai, etc.) would you recommend for me as a beginner (would like to balance cost with value in the beginning, when I seeing profits I can expand my toolbox)?

Bonus question, how do you see the future of internet marketing as a way to make a good living? The entire reason I wanted to get into this is because I felt the whole industry would be a safe bet for consistent growth, and learning the ins and outs (with dedication) would be one of the best ways to leverage my time to make money. I want to own my time on Earth and use it to pursue a myriad of interests, not just internet marketing.

Take a stab at any question you want or none at all and just say hello. If any of you would be interested in a more personal relationship I would love to have a mentor. Let me know. Thanks in advance.
#information #internet #marketing #overload
  • Profile picture of the author Jarrod
    What kind of niche are you interested in? How do you plan to monetize the sites once you acquire them & maintain them?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9341524].message }}
    • I'm interested in health/fitness, music, online entrepreneurship, travel, and tech. I would be open to many other niches too if they show promise. I would like to set up websites where content creation and community participation (for backlinks) is outsourced.

      As far as monetization, I was hoping to start out focusing on advertising through AdSense and other display advertisers (implement intext ads where it hasn't been implemented) because it is easier to get a grasp on. I live in Minnesota right now so I can't join the Amazon affiliate program, but will be moving to a state where I can soon. Monetization is harder to pin down, because I'd evaluate each site on an individual basis.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9341535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by A Series of Tubes View Post

    Hey, my name is Michael, I'm 25 and I just got into internet marketing about a month ago. I've been spending time just trying to soak up information and formulate a business model but there is just so much out there that I'm paralyzed. I hope to build sites myself, but I would like to establish a foundation built on acquiring sites already generating revenue, to allow myself financial freedom to focus on the business full time. Just fishing for any tips all of you might have. Some questions I have.

    I have about $20,000 to invest. How would you recommend I split up the investment (between how many sites)?
    If you are going to buy some sites, you'll most likely end up on Flippa to do some shopping. I suggest that you read a guest post I did for Flippa on due diligence. It is essential to look under the hood before buying to avoid getting ripped off.

    In addition, what kind of sites would you be looking for? Ones that already generate revenue? If so, you could easily spend thousands of dollars for one site that generates revenue on Flippa. You would need to verify the revenue and the earning history and the traffic of such a site before buying.

    If you're not going for sites that already generate revenue, why not just hire someone to build some sites for you? Seems the most straightforward way to go.


    Originally Posted by A Series of Tubes View Post

    What kind of sites would be easiest for me to maintain without much experience in Internet Marketing?
    A site that produces passive income would be the easiest, like a site that produces income with Adsense or CPA ads, etc. If the revenue they produce is genuine, they are not dirt cheap on Flippa.

    Originally Posted by A Series of Tubes View Post

    What areas should I focus on learning in the beginning?
    If you want to get a good idea of the kinds of sites that are most popular for flipping on Flippa, go to Flippa and click on the just sold tab. That should give you some direction if you are going to be building sites.

    I'll let others work on your other questions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9341536].message }}
  • First I recommend to get an auto res ponder, get a blog set up, so you can make your squeeze page.

    Create an ebook or purchase a private label right as a bribe or a lead magnet.

    When you have a bribe you can get the emails, and the money is in that list, start building a relationship within that list.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9341810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lotsofsnow
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9341865].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      One of the best things you can do now is not invest in websites, but in a good mentor or coach. Or your money could be gone quicker than you can say bye, bye!
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9341918].message }}
      • Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        One of the best things you can do now is not invest in websites, but in a good mentor or coach. Or your money could be gone quicker than you can say bye, bye!
        Are you against acquisitions in general? I come from a background in finance and the profit multiple you pay is so low that if you could theoretically understand the larger amount of risk inherent in these intangible assets you make better returns on your money, no?

        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        A site that produces passive income would be the easiest, like a site that produces income with Adsense or CPA ads, etc. If the revenue they produce is genuine, they are not dirt cheap on Flippa.
        Obviously it fluctuates a lot because each site is unique, but how many times a months earnings would you expect to pay for a site that with due diligence could reasonably be expected to continue at its current profit level for say the next 3-4 years?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342083].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
          Originally Posted by A Series of Tubes View Post

          Are you against acquisitions in general?
          No. I just believe in getting educated and receiving personal direction an experienced mentor or coach can give you before not after you invest.

          With you having a background in finance, I'm sure you can appreciate that.
          Signature
          Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
          "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
          "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342132].message }}
          • Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

            No. I just believe in getting educated and receiving personal direction an experienced mentor or coach can give you before not after you invest.

            With you having a background in finance, I'm sure you can appreciate that.
            Right on. Would you happen to have any recommendations on an affordable mentor thats focused on the acquire and outsource model?

            I want to learn to value websites, properly.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342218].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MrFume
              You could look up a guy Tony Shepherd he has a unique mentoring program - specializes in creating passive funnels that each generate a regular income - I have no affiliate relationship, just impressed with the guy - seems to be what you are seeking, why not build them - or have them built for you. You just have to drive targeted traffic via solo & FB ads and adjust as needed.
              Signature

              The whole basis of what we do as human beings is based on Communication, nothing would be possible otherwise. I work with communication, publishing on the Web, digital media.
              Digital Media for a Noisy World

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342383].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by A Series of Tubes View Post

          Obviously it fluctuates a lot because each site is unique, but how many times a months earnings would you expect to pay for a site that with due diligence could reasonably be expected to continue at its current profit level for say the next 3-4 years?
          I disagree with the ones saying to build a sales page, write an ebook ... yada yada yada. Everyone sells ebooks here. I've built and sold sites for over 16 years and make a full time living. So do others on this forum. Unless you've got a killer idea for an ebook, don't feel like you have to do an ebook just because so many others are doing it.

          As for investing in a coach ... why give your money to a coach? The information you need is all here, as you can see. Some coaches may be worth it and some will laugh all the way to the bank.

          On Flippa, the passive income or Adsense sites tend to sell well and go for the higher prices. A site with good or great traffic, a lot of unique content, some age and a history of consistent earnings could go for 10-12 monthly income. Sites with less history and age do well also, but not that high of a multiple.

          Here's one that just sold. An adsense site
          https://flippa.com/3111456-wow-great...onth-low-price

          1K monthly income for less than a year and sold for $9K. Not bad. As you can see from the income chart, it didn't start earning until March, so it doesn't have a long history of earning at all, but the Adsense income has been verified by Flippa.

          Check it out https://flippa.com/just-sold ... best way to tell which sites sell for the most money and what those sites have that you need.

          A lot of people who sell sites regularly will also build a list and offer the sites via list as well as list them on Flippa. It's a good idea to incorporate that into your plans.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9343146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vrlm
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shashikant1010
      Originally Posted by vrlm View Post

      i am in the same position, new to all this "make Money online" thing.... cant believe there are so many people on this fórum selling digi products.... and from my research 90% of them are just S***T information stuff, that people are trying to sell to you to make a few $$$$

      However the rest of this fórum is great, alot of information is provided for us newbies, for that i thank the members!

      Any advice on which would be my fist step to succeed?!? :p
      yes you have to start blogging on niche site. join some cpc program and earn money.
      you can also join CPA and affiliate marketing its may b help to earn some money.
      here i dont say that you can earn $ 10000 but you will make some good enough money if you try .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamescanz
    Originally Posted by A Series of Tubes View Post

    What areas should I focus on learning in the beginning?
    Some of the fundamentals.

    How to get traffic to a page / offer (and how to create that page / offer)...

    How to convert the traffic that goes to the page / offer...

    Effectively building a (responsive) list...

    And how you plan to become the email personality that they can't get enough of (allowing you to profit, of course)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9342848].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rhadoo7
      With that amount of money for investing, I would definitely buy an established website that is already making money. You can spend up to 50% of your budget, just make sure to ask for solid evidence of traffic, backlinks and most important of all...revenue.

      With the rest of the money I would either hire an expert or join a premium marketing online course, that guides you step-by-step through the entire process.

      Just make sure to do some research on the product or expert first, and then just follow that route. Even though you will always find new information, just pick a proven blueprint and stick to it until the end.

      I hope that helps!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9343117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris30K
    If you've studied IM for a week, you already know enough to make money, there are people who know a lot less about IM than me that are earning a lot more money .

    Just focus on getting in front prospects in listening to their needs.
    Signature

    Chic Fil A > McDonald's

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9343230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkPerez
    I think you should start with some micro sites. It may not bring you much money at first, but could give you a start. To me, all SEO tools will not work if we don't actually understand their purpose. We should know the basic first, then use those tools correctly to automate the task for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9344639].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nuno
    I can drive a lot of quality traffic to a website (several ways, even using satellite websites that seem natural), provide evidence that revenue happened there, but cut the flow soon after the sale... blaming Google or whatever.

    The only real guarantee you may have is a seller you trust, everything else can be manipulated.
    Signature
    I have 15+ years of experience & millions of visitors (I'm also a warrior since 2002)!
    NunoAlex.com explains how I can help.
    I'm looking for a limited number of serious partners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9345478].message }}

Trending Topics