Asked to review a site and find that it is stuffed?

by Jeffery 9 replies
Have you ever been asked to review a site and find that it is stuffed with affiliate cookies? It happens. We all see threads wherein people ask for a site review. Most of those requests are honest in nature, but I wonder how many are just a trick for cookie stuffing? Makes me also wonder how many Product Review Sites operate as such. Then I wonder about links in emails.

Is it becoming so common place these days that we need to do something to stop it or just set back and watch it happen?

It may not matter to many, but I want my affiliates to get their comissions for obvious reasons. One nice lady contacted me and said her friends bought from her, but she did not see comissions in her account. After some talk, I learnt that she had sent them to a product review site, so her friends could compare. When I examined the site I found it stuffed with affiliate cookies. Long story short, I gave her the comissions, asked her to not send her friends there again, and she was delighted. Crazy way to do business.

Well, its Saturday here in my part of the world and it looks like I have a long day ahead of me tracking down the cookie stuffers. Would much rather hang out here instead.

Jeffery 100% :-)
#main internet marketing discussion forum #asked #find #review #site #stuffed
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author sparrow
    this cookie stuffing has gotten out of control and I wonder when will Google discover and deindex these sites

    well I guess the only thing you can ask your affiliates to request the customers to delete their cookies or devise another way to track affiliates

    this make it a pain in the a_ _ trying to manage an affiliate program

    I wonder what next is on the horizon in the scheme of things we need to dodge

    Ed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[83724].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Lockwood
    Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

    It may not matter to many, but I want my affiliates to get their comissions for obvious reasons. One nice lady contacted me and said her friends bought from her, but she did not see comissions in her account. After some talk, I learnt that she had sent them to a product review site, so her friends could compare. When I examined the site I found it stuffed with affiliate cookies. Long story short, I gave her the comissions, asked her to not send her friends there again, and she was delighted. Crazy way to do business.
    Did the customers visit the review site after going through the lady's link? If so it would seem that is the issue, not the cookie stuffing.

    In other words, if the review site hadn't been stuffing but was the last link the customer went through, wouldn't the review site have rightly earned the commission?

    Or, if the review site was stuffing, but the customer went through that lady's link last, wouldn't she still have gotten the credit she deserved? Cookie stuffing should not prevent the cookie from getting overwritten by another affiliate's id.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[84399].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
      A couple years back a popular IM forum was stuffing cookies as well. Not sure if they still do.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[84403].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Reed
        Ok. I'm gonna sound a complete noob here, but what disadvantage is there to clearing your cookies every day? I appreciate that some affiliates could lose comissions but isn't that preferable to having your own business compromised?

        Layman's terms please. It's getting late here and I want to go for a beer before shut tap!

        David
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[84450].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood View Post

      Did the customers visit the review site after going through the lady's link? If so it would seem that is the issue, not the cookie stuffing.

      In other words, if the review site hadn't been stuffing but was the last link the customer went through, wouldn't the review site have rightly earned the commission?

      Or, if the review site was stuffing, but the customer went through that lady's link last, wouldn't she still have gotten the credit she deserved? Cookie stuffing should not prevent the cookie from getting overwritten by another affiliate's id.
      Hi Chris,

      Long time no see. Hope your well. Yes, the customers visited the review site after going through the lady's link. But you are describing conventional cookies and what happens now-a-days is different. Some call it hyjacking. In this case, the entire site is stuffed with cookies for hundreds of products. In other words, visitors surf to "any given page" on the review site and hundreds of affiliate cookies are stuffed into the browser/temporary internet file on the user's P.C. Even if the page visited was the "about us" page or a different review page about a different product - the review site earns the comission. To the untrained eye we would visit the site and see no aff links in the review/article/any given page, but the original aff link was already hyjacked when the visitor lands on the site. Tricky and wicked!

      Jeffery 100% :-)
      Signature
      WarriorHelp.com
      Webmaster to the Stars
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[84719].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
        Hey, I just learned how to use the multiquote thingy, lol :-)

        Originally Posted by Josh Anderson View Post

        A couple years back a popular IM forum was stuffing cookies as well. Not sure if they still do.
        Hi Josh,

        Don't know which one it was, but if it was the one I sold, then yes they do. Mind you that practice started after I sold it - not when I owned it.

        Originally Posted by David Reed View Post

        Ok. I'm gonna sound a complete noob here, but what disadvantage is there to clearing your cookies every day? I appreciate that some affiliates could lose comissions but isn't that preferable to having your own business compromised?

        Layman's terms please. It's getting late here and I want to go for a beer before shut tap!

        David
        Disadvantage? None that I can think of. However, seasoned Internet Marketers clean daily. Personally, I run CCleaner before I reboot or shut down the machine. Cookies are the least of my worries when surfing the internet on a Windows machine. The more advanced cookie is delivered in a .dat file. Internet Explorer's built-in tool to delete cookies and .dat files is compromised by some of the more advanced cookie stuffing programs. In laymen's terms.. an advanced stuffer program and even some advanced affiliate cloakers trick Internet Explorer into tagging the cookie as deleted only after the browser session is terminated. So, as long as the browser is open the cookie remains active.

        Jeffery 100% :-)
        Signature
        WarriorHelp.com
        Webmaster to the Stars
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[84740].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
          BTW, a friend pointed me to some trickies. Those exit popups that open in a new window can also be stuffed. How many times have we closed the main browser window and find a little window that was hidden behind the main window.

          Custom autoresponders can also be used to trick a click. Those exit popups as described above can be used to capture email addresses, i.e. optins. The autoresponder drops a cloaked link in the email signature that sends the opt-in to a stuffed page. The rest is history.

          Jeffery 100% :-)
          Signature
          WarriorHelp.com
          Webmaster to the Stars
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[84751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ExRat
    Hi Jeffery,

    Well if stuff like this is in the WSO -

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...ly-unique.html

    ...then it's obviously spreading all over the place and becoming a mainstream activity.
    Signature


    Roger Davis

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[85060].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
      Digital Point Forum got whacked for cookie stuffing not too long ago..

      I blogged bout it...

      Jay
      Signature

      Bare Murkage.........

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[85082].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics