Is a god given writing talent the greatest tool one can have online.

34 replies
Having for many years observed Warrior forum vicariously through the eyes of someone infatuated by those with amazing writing ability, I seem to have caught the infatuation myself.

As someone one who studied accounting, has major adult ADD and is generally not very precise (I KNOW RIGHT!! SCARY FOR AN ACCOUNTANT.) I wish now more than ever I had concentrated harder in school on language.

From the point of view as someone envying the writing talents of others I have made the conclusion that it is the greatest natural talent one can have for online success for the average person. Agree ? Or disagree?

I guess when making any definitive statement one is left open for criticism so please give any differing opinions.

It Just seems that naturally gifted wordsmiths have such a massive advantage because in reality the Internet is built largely on words.

As freelancers world class writers seem to be have a lot of demand. Copywriting starts with the ability to write well and has great earning potential for the best.

And article marketers who seem to get through any Google change relatively unharmed because they target Niches in a way that makes their traffic sources their own all just seem like amazing writers. Their content is their asset.

I find in my daily life I try and spot people around me who have natural writing talents as it is something I just don't have at the level I would like. Because I think it's such a great skill to have and don't have it I know I would need to utilise those that do.
#god #greatest #online #talent #tool #writing
  • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
    Quality writing starts with words, but you also need deeper understandings of the topic. And if you're selling anything, marketing and some psychology.

    Take a few college journalism courses. That can help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cideas
    Not really. You can hire a good copywriter and have anything written for relatively cheap, but I doubt you can hire someone to actually build your business - THAT is the skill :-)
    Signature
    ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438054].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cali16
    Originally Posted by Alfred Shelver View Post


    From the point of view as someone envying the writing talents of others I have made the conclusion that it is the greatest natural talent one can have for online success for the average person. Agree ? Or disagree?
    I disagree - not that it's not a great skill to have - but I don't think, by any stretch, that it's important or necessary for online success. For one thing, writing content and copywriting can always be outsourced when needed.

    Online success, I believe, has a lot more to do with a strong work ethic, drive, determination, focus, a good business mind, and a clear direction - along with the willingness to learn and adjust one's trajectory as needed. I would wager that the majority of the most successful Internet marketers have, at best, average to slightly above average writing skills. Just my two cents!
    Signature
    If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
    I guess I am more blinded by writer envy than most, and yes the more I look at it so many better skills that can bring success. Maybe the one I should be learning is delegation because utilising someone else's strength whilst I focus on mine may be better than comparing my lack of talents to others.

    I think it's also that most of those I idolise for there business success have a way with words that makes me feel that's their key to success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438083].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author grantveronica
      Writing is an important skill but it's not enough. Words are not enough to get people read your articles. A lot of things has to be considered. I'm not saying writing is not a great tool. There's no greatest in all the tools you use online. Everything must be great, not just one of those.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPlan
    One of the easiest ways to produce a good piece of writing is to write from your heart; speak what is on your mind and just say what you believe. That might sound simplistic. But think about it this way. The best reviews on Amazon are written by regular people who are passionately in love with the product they have used. These people don't have 'natural talent' or degrees in journalism or creative writing, but what they have is the passion to tell others about what they love/hate. If you put that same effort into your writing and just give your own point of view, rather than trying to do copywriting or wiki articles, then you can write just as good as anyone else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cideas
      Originally Posted by JohnnyPlan View Post

      One of the easiest ways to produce a good piece of writing is to write from your heart; speak what is on your mind and just say what you believe. That might sound simplistic. But think about it this way. The best reviews on Amazon are written by regular people who are passionately in love with the product they have used. These people don't have 'natural talent' or degrees in journalism or creative writing, but what they have is the passion to tell others about what they love/hate. If you put that same effort into your writing and just give your own point of view, rather than trying to do copywriting or wiki articles, then you can write just as good as anyone else.
      THIS.
      Signature
      ...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438368].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Alfred, it really kind of depends on your business model. If it depends on writing and you can't afford to outsource article writers, copywriters and the like, then yes, being able to write well I think is one of the most important skills you can have. It is literally how I built my business years ago.

        But there are business models that don't require writing at all or very little of it and can be done at an 8th grade level.

        For somebody who is building a business like mine (royalty free music, music based products) the greatest skill they need is obviously the ability to write music. I guess it's still writing but it's a different kind of writing. Plus they also need to be able to record that music and produce it well.

        Personally, I always envied people who could write really well too, like Paul Myers. In all my years online I have yet to read anyone who interests me as much as Paul does. Even his newsletter the other day on a topic as mundane as protecting yourselves from hackers (a must read) was fascinating. If you're not subscribed to his newsletter, you're missing something special.

        Bottom line: All skills are important and depending on what it is you actually do for a living, some of those skills will be more important than others and they don't necessarily have to be writing. Though it's the one I personally value the most.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438502].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Alfred Shelver View Post

          Is a god given writing talent the greatest tool one can have online.
          I just don't know, any more.

          I used to be pretty sure that the answer to this question was "no".

          Over the last six years, I've very gradually gone from thinking the answer was "no" to "just not knowing, any more".

          Writing skills were absolutely all I had, when I started. I felt entirely skill-free, ignorant, uneducated, confused, bewildered and disorientated (in America, they call that one "disoriented" because they lost a syllable somewhere along the line).

          It does, to some extent, depend on your business model.

          People sometimes say that you can "just outsource all the writing you need", but I don't think that's really true. I'm increasingly aware that "outsourcing writing", without paying an arm and a leg for it, is actually pretty difficult.

          I'm also increasingly aware that many of the people who do well, online, have good, well-written autoresponder series, and that that really does make a huge difference to their chances.

          I think writing skills are much harder for the "average person" to acquire than any of the technical skills one needs, to become successful online. (And those are more easily and far less expensively outsourceable, too).

          So I just don't know, any more.

          I must add: your writing's fine, though, Alfred? In all the time I've known you and exchanged messages with you (at times even long and quite profound messages, as we both know), it's certainly never occurred to me at all that you could possibly be someone with "writing difficulties"!

          .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438559].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by JohnnyPlan View Post

      then you can write just as good as anyone else.
      I believe you probably meant to say, "just as well as anyone, else." Just kidding!!!

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
    Alexa when I wrote this I pretty much you in mind and a few other like Paul, Brian etc. People we spoke about often. And really just enjoyed reading.

    She made really good money writing articles because we were above average and tried to over deliver and like you say the outsourcing seams to have varying proficiency levels. Yet I have looked in great depth in the last few days at the almost bullet proof article syndication method you and others utilize so effectively and it became quite evident that the writing quality is sooo important.

    I guess in the end Its what one does with any talent or skill or how one overcomes a weakness.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438600].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Alfred Shelver View Post

      I have looked in great depth in the last few days at the almost bullet proof article syndication method you and others utilize so effectively and it became quite evident that the writing quality is sooo important.
      Yes, I can't deny that. It has to be content that "wows" people (usually by being either very entertaining or very provocative, or sometimes even a mixture of the two). Otherwise people aren't lining up to publish it.

      (I "thanked" Frank for you ... I do that pretty often, when he posts, anyway!).

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438613].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Let's not forget something. The world is essentially made up of communication in one form or another. The most common form of that communication is speech and the written word.

        Imagine we said to every marketer on the planet, "You can run a business online but there are two things you can't do in any manner, shape of form...write and speak."

        How many businesses would we have?

        Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

        When you go to Google and do a search for whatever it is you're searching for, what comes up at the top of the results?

        Either some form of writing or video.

        I mean really, when you think about it, without communicating in some way, how can you sell anything to anybody?

        With all my writing skills (good or bad as they may have become in the last 56 years) I'm still scratching and clawing to make a buck online.

        So that says one of two things. Either I suck as a writer or maybe writing in itself isn't all that important. Maybe it's just one piece of the puzzle and without all the other pieces (marketing, site design, etc.) it's pretty useless.

        Alexa, I'm with you. These days...I'm starting to wonder myself.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
    Seems I have run out of my thank you quota for today ... big frank ... funny !!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438607].message }}
  • I think the answer to your question is "yes". With the internet being a content based system, those who can produce the best content should ultimately become successful. However, there are many ways to produce content such as video, and audio. Interesting question though, in which I am looking forward to reading more responses.
    Signature

    Craigslist Posting Expert! Best Value and Service on the Web!

    http://PostingLiveAds.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9438751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnnaMolly
    I think the ability to relate o people is the best talent to have and that directly translates through writing. So, yes. If you can write and you can relate, you can sell. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WeavingThoughts
    Tell me one guy at the top who isn't an above average copywriter. Jay Abraham? Frank Kern? Jeff Walker? Tony Robbins?

    I think I have answered your question.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Originally Posted by WeavingThoughts View Post

      Tell me one guy at the top who isn't an above average copywriter. Jay Abraham? Frank Kern? Jeff Walker? Tony Robbins?

      I think I have answered your question.

      Weaving,

      These guys are all very successful Internet marketers, but IMHO, not because of their writing. Do you know for a fact that they are all "above average copywriters?" It wouldn't surprise me, in the least, that most of what is released by these marketers is written by someone else.

      Regardless, good communication is very important no matter the source.

      Each one of the marketers you mentioned are exceptional salesmen.

      To me, at least, that skill is very critical to online success, probably more so than the ability to write.

      Writers write . . . salesmen sell . . .

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439406].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lance K
      Originally Posted by WeavingThoughts View Post

      Tell me one guy at the top who isn't an above average copywriter. Jay Abraham? Frank Kern? Jeff Walker? Tony Robbins?

      I think I have answered your question.
      That doesn't mean they have a god given writing talent.

      "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" ~Tim Notke
      Signature
      "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
      ~ Zig Ziglar
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439589].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by WeavingThoughts View Post

      Tell me one guy at the top who isn't an above average copywriter. Jay Abraham? Frank Kern? Jeff Walker? Tony Robbins?

      I think I have answered your question.
      I think it has more to do with their marketing talents, or their ability to hire it, than it does their copywriting, especially in their later years. I don't think they work the typical hours the average copywriter does anymore, do you? Marketing talents have taken people farther than copywriting talents.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Being a writer myself, I used to say it was the most important component in online marketing. Now I'm not so sure. I still lean in that direction because without writers, there's nothing.

    But without Web designers there's only print.

    Without software designers there's only print.

    Without people with the talent and desire to drive traffic, it doesn't much matter how spiffy your words are because no one will see them.

    I've written several articles over the years about the three foundational components of online marketing.

    1. Writing
    2. Web design, development and related stuff.
    3. Driving traffic.

    Obviously content is at the top of the food chain but content can be presented in a multitude of ways. Fortunately, they all involve writing on one level or another.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by Alfred Shelver View Post

    From the point of view as someone envying the writing talents of others I have made the conclusion that it is the greatest natural talent one can have for online success for the average person. Agree ? Or disagree?
    It's an important skill within some business models, but "online" covers a multitude of activities. I have no idea about the writing ability of the founders of Pinterest, Instagram, Google, eBay, Amazon, Twitter, Facebook - or even Freelancer, come to that.

    Much the same as in the offline world, I suspect the overriding requisite for online success is the entrepreneurial drive to take an idea and run with it. The rest is just detail.


    Frank
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Originally Posted by Alfred Shelver View Post

    From the point of view as someone envying the writing talents of others I have made the conclusion that it is the greatest natural talent one can have for online success for the average person. Agree ? Or disagree?
    ...
    As freelancers world class writers seem to be have a lot of demand. Copywriting starts with the ability to write well and has great earning potential for the best.
    It's a great skill to have but "talented" writing is in the eyes of the reader. Not everyone
    would judge a piece of writing with the same yardstick. Because of this lack of
    objectivity the answer to your question becomes murky.

    The real money is in the MARKETING and not the writing. Any copywriter
    would agree with this statement. If you write a great piece of copy but it
    is not marketed the right way it can gather digital dust like a masterpiece
    painting abandoned in a dark basement.

    (Did you notice the preponderance of labial consonants in that last statement?)

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439517].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post


      The real money is in the MARKETING and not the writing. Any copywriter
      would agree with this statement. If you write a great piece of copy but it
      is not marketed the right way it can gather digital dust like a masterpiece
      painting abandoned in a dark basement.
      That's spot on. Every talent or skill mentioned in this thread is admirable, But I can name people who had them but still failed miserably because their marketing skills couldn't meet the challenge. Whether it was in the market research, planning/forecasting, execution or follow-up.

      That's a mistake I see many people making, they create a business, product or service first and then try to execute a marketing plan on-the-fly or as an after thought. The internet and business world is scattered with the dead bodies of people who gave markekting a back seat -- instead putting it behind wheel.

      Good marketing doesn't always guarantee a successful product. But a successfull product almost always has good marketing.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Superlative to everything is one's ability to influence.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    It really depends on your business model. For my Kindle publishing business it's essential (because I love to write and wouldn't think of outsourcing any of my works, but that's just me). For my date coaching business, writing isn't that essential because 99.999% of my coaching is done via phone or Skype (sometimes in person).

    For my stock investing business, well, there's no writing involved there at all.

    It depends on your business model.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9439597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author .X.
    There is no skill that has earned me more money
    over the 15 years I've been making money online.

    Can you outsource copy writing? Yes.

    Can you outsource HIGH QUALITY copy writing on
    the cheap?

    BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! FuNnY!

    The successful Internet marketers I know pretty
    much all have strong writing chops.

    It's as close to a critical skill as there is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9440129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    Not really, you could always buy high quality content. Turns out most bloggers don't write their own posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9440377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Victor Edson
    I will disagree far more than you think. All I see in your post is talent in written word.
    You aren't lacking in writing skill one bit, so if you're struggling online, it's to do with your salesmanship, not wordmanship.

    Being a great sales person and knowing exactly how you emotionally connect with your prospects is the true skill that sells. Whether online or off, it's all about connecting with people on a deeper level.

    If you remember this, it should help... people will always remember the way you made them feel and forget what you wrote.

    It helps me, hopefully it will help you too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9440421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author .X.
    ^^^

    Great post by Victor.

    For the volumes written about writing copy, which I think
    is really important, authentic passion for what you're selling
    and the willingness to let your emotions bleed onto the
    page are what matter.

    It's not eloquence, or best-writing that matters.

    It's raw connection and honesty. There's a message sent
    in the words that isn't IN the words. I believe everyone
    has this built-in, instinctual - and a really good copywriter
    can disarm it anyway.

    Meaning a really good copywriter can sell crap, but anyone
    can sell something they TRULY believe in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9440425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
    Thanks for all the thoughts everyone ... so I guess the over all consensus is yes, no, maybe. So glad we cleared that up. Great points though, but I think it boils down to natural talents and abilities are a great help but not a guarantee in in shape or form.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9440894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Corina Wise
    Although I think the skill of writing is good... the better skill is to recognize good writing especially if you are going to get it outsourced.

    As an Entrepreneur, you should know you how your customer thinks, what keeps them up at night. It s tough when you outsource for someone to capture those points in their writing if they are not intimately involved with your customers.
    Signature
    Join me on a journey from $0 to $5,000 or more in 100 days or less as I give you insider access to my personal blueprint. How much extra income do you want to make online today? Start HERE Today
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9440908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
    Banned
    If you can write great copy and emails, and know how to bring targeted traffic to your own products or affiliate products (marketing)...then you're going to be a wealthy person. BUT...even with those talents, you still have to put in the work, have patience and persistence when things fail, and always keep moving forward.
    Signature
    Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9442148].message }}

Trending Topics