Steps to Finding a Profitable Niche?

by Emkoss
13 replies
I need help finding a niche for a mini-authority site Much like a single-topic site, but more open to additional related sub-niches.
I don't want to make a Whole-Market Authority site or a Broad niche because I think it will be so much competition.

i'm interested in health topics but i'm still newbie so I can't compete in high competitive niches

I'm already have a site about one of the health topics but I don't do very well. I feel like I need to concentrate on just a micro topic that has less competition and can be profitable when using google Adsense on it.

what would you guys advise me to do?
#finding #niche #profitable #steps
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Emkoss View Post

    I'm already have a site about one of the health topics but I don't do very well. I feel like I need to concentrate on just a micro topic that has less competition and can be profitable when using google Adsense on it.

    what would you guys advise me to do?
    I'd advise you to try to analyse why the one you have isn't doing so well, if you can (it's not always easy, I know), and see how you can avoid those problems with the next one.

    And to think clearly, perhaps before you even start choosing the niche, what your traffic-generation plan is going to be. You can't do anything without traffic.

    And to think about potential forms of monetization other than AdSense. (It's difficult to make much income from AdSense without having a lot of traffic. And if you have a lot of traffic, other forms of monetization may be better anyway? AdSense is a strange business model, in one or two ways. First, it's dependent on Google, which maybe isn't the greatest of plans, for the long term. Secondly, it's a form of business that pays you when people leave your site, rather than when they stay there - and that requires "a different sort of site" from many?).

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      It seems you've kinda painted yourself in a corner. You have a site that you're trying to find a niche for. That's out of order. You should find the niche first and then build the site around that niche.

      Next, you're looking for ...
      • A micro topic...
      • That has low competition ...
      • That's profitable...
      • When using adsense ...
      That sounds more like a "wish list" -- than a question.
      ================================================== =======================
      I'd advise you to pause, start over and do it the right way ... in the right order. Otherwise you'll keep getting stuck, starting over or going in circles for the next year.

      Step #1. - Find specific people with a specific problem (your target market).

      Step #2. - See if they're "paying" to solve that problem in the form you're selling it in.

      Step #3. - Create or find the product or service with those specific people in mind. While offering them something (a niche solution) that separates you from others.

      Step #4. - Create the website or blog.

      Step #5. - Execute Traffic-Generating /Marketing Plan.
      ================================================== =======================
      Rinse and repeat until successful.

      Note: All The Steps are like legs to a table. Miss doing one and the table could topple over.

      Of course you can ignore this simple plan or try to take shortcuts like most people, but beware ... you'll get their results too. 90% failure rate avg.

      Good Luck.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455441].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Emkoss
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      I'd advise you to try to analyse why the one you have isn't doing so well, if you can (it's not always easy, I know), and see how you can avoid those problems with the next one.

      And to think clearly, perhaps before you even start choosing the niche, what your traffic-generation plan is going to be. You can't do anything without traffic.

      And to think about potential forms of monetization other than AdSense. (It's difficult to make much income from AdSense without having a lot of traffic. And if you have a lot of traffic, other forms of monetization may be better anyway? AdSense is a strange business model, in one or two ways. First, it's dependent on Google, which maybe isn't the greatest of plans, for the long term. Secondly, it's a form of business that pays you when people leave your site, rather than when they stay there - and that requires "a different sort of site" from many?).

      .
      Thank you Alexa for your helpful reply
      the main traffic generation plans I will concentrate on is search engines and a little bit of social networks, article marketing... all the Free stuff. because I'm still in the beginning and I can't pay for paid traffic.
      yes I know that adsense not the best forms of monetization, but for me it's a good start concentrating on one thing till I have some success then move on to the next level...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455454].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author fahax
        If you are new to article marketing world tied yourself with extreme competitive world
        uh I dont demoralize you but according to my experience search engine traffic is worst converting traffic especially in micro niches
        If you are interested in health topics head over to pinterest as a socail bot and grab some useful articles on article syndication business model this will help you alot
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455629].message }}
  • A niche is a niche is a niche

    They all have their pros and cons. Highly competitive niches are highly profitable because of basic demand for the supply.

    Low competitive niches can be highly profitable if you work your butt off targeting these unique markets.

    No matter what niche you do make sure you are building your list, providing tremendous value and building relationship with your leads.

    Joe
    Signature
    Need a Coach to generate leads and TRIPLE your online business income?
    Let me Inspire and Empower You!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benung
    I'm in you're shoes man building websites and trying to find some profitable niche...but this thing is pain in the ass because its time consuming in research, building websites, SEO, backlinking and gush... plenty more! I suggest build a list (Listbuilding) and make websites to support your list. That's all you need to make it a reality!

    After you'll become successful and can outsource in maintaining website; then create a portfolio of it.

    Hope this helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emkoss
    thanks guys for your replies

    All of you mentioned building a list, yes sure I have already built a list months ago but I think the affiliate marketing and making people buy products is so much hard and needs so much experience than I have at the moment so I decided to just stick with google adsense as a start.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455490].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Emkoss View Post

      thanks guys for your replies

      All of you mentioned building a list, yes sure I have already built a list months ago but I think the affiliate marketing and making people buy products is so much hard and needs so much experience than I have at the moment so I decided to just stick with google adsense as a start.

      Please correct me if I'm wrong!
      Actually, I never mentioned building a list in my post. Although I think you should. Again you have to approach things in the right order.

      How can you build a targeted list like people suggested, when you haven't chosen a niche yet? Unless you have a targeted niche you can't build a targeted list. At best you'll have a hodge-podge of names like a lot of people.

      But don't let inexperience keep you from building a list at the right time. That's one of the reasons why you should build a list.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455596].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Emkoss
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Actually, I never mentioned building a list in my post. Although I think you should. Again you have to approach things in the right order.

        How can you build a targeted list like people suggested, when you haven't chosen a niche yet? Unless you have a targeted niche you can't build a targeted list. At best you'll have a hodge-podge of names like a lot of people.

        But don't let inexperience keep you from building a list at the right time. That's one of the reasons why you should build a list.
        yeah my list is targeted because it is separate from the site that I want to choose the right niche for.
        I just put the list building a side at the moment. so I can start all over again
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joshril
    Here's something I posted in another thread on the forum regarding niche/market selection... Thought this might help:

    For Dummies Store

    Store - For Dummies

    Best Selling Books on Amazon

    http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-b...zon/zgbs/books

    Best Selling Clickbank Products

    Top Clickbank Products

    There are a lot more places to look... Facebook, books stores, Magazines.com, etc.

    NOTE: Trying to enter and sell a product as broad as "weight loss" is not going to be a great idea... Think "Weight loss for new moms."

    NOTE #2: A lot of courses and marketers suggest health, wealth, relationships and then narrowing down... Nothing wrong with that, but you can be successful with all sorts of markets where information is sold... "Learn to play guitar," "boat building plans, "how to be a beekeeper," etc. If there is a magazine at the book store being sold on a topic (health, hobbies, money, etc.), you have a good possibility of success in the market.

    NOTE #3: Give yourself 30 minutes... pick your market... and run with it. Imperfect action is WAY better than no action at all... Getting this launched the way I'm going to outline is not going to take that much time or money, so if it fails, it's good practice, you learned from it, and you can move on to the next market. Do NOT be afraid to fail. Spending weeks researching, etc. is guaranteed to lead to information overload, shiny object syndrome, and ultimately failure. If you get anything out of this post... THIS is the most important take away.

    Taken from this post:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...unt-today.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robinsh123
    Check a mega site in Health niche and see the most popular posts to get the idea about that profitable and sub niche that can be monetized with Google Adsense and affiliate products available.
    Signature
    You can save upto 75% on this awesome deal, so hurry up and GRAB it before the price hike.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James1212
    I would use google trends to start, and some keyword research.
    See what people are after, and use Alexia for some extra targeting.
    Best
    Signature

    Mike Schlecht

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9455712].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lets Do IT
      My humble suggestion would be first try to figure out why are you not doing well with your current site?

      Is traffic the issue?
      Is it related to niche you're in?

      I don't deny that may be your current niche doesn't have much potential so it's right time to move on but at least first figure out why isn't your current website generating revenue for you, unless you find the real cause, trust me you might get yourself again in another trap.

      Once you're done with that then take a piece of paper and write down the whole plan what you're going to do next, everything step by step, this will give you a roadmap and above all a vision what to do next precisely. Also write down how are you going to handle the current issue with your new site..

      As a beginner you're good to go with Adsense if you're not comfortable with other streams but play ethically with Google and you'll be on your way..

      Google is good with those who remain honest with them and personally I do know many who have been making 4-5 figure income from adsense from many years so it works and at the same time I do agree with @Alexa Smith that it's a strange business model where we let the visitor leave our site and get money.

      Wish you a running income stream
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675140].message }}

Trending Topics