A Niche is Not a Market. Stop.

64 replies
Now that the Genie is so far out of the bottle I wonder if we can ever put it back. It could be like turning around a Cruise Ship on a lake but here goes ...

Why do people still get a market confused with a niche? I use to just hear newbies using the two words interchangeably.

But now I'm even seeing people who have a thousand posts or more and been a Warrior member since 2010 confusing a niche with a market. Yikes

When newbies see the more experienced using the terms interchangeably they follow suit. Which exasperates the inaccurate terms even more. Now I here more people in the W.F using it the wrong way than the right way.

For example,
Question: What's the most profitable niche? What niche should I choose? (Ever heard that before here) .

Answer: Seasoned posters will give Weight Loss, Dating, Intenet Marketing or Health as a niche. For the record those are markets. A niche is a segment, part or piece of one of those markets.

So when someone ask what niche should I choose? Most of the time I think they're really asking what market should I choose? Other times they really want to know about a niche.

But it's sometimes confusing which one they mean. I think most people just give them the generic answers they've heard over and over again from others on this forum. I have no problem with that if it's used in the right context.

If I were a newbie and someone confused these two simple terms I'd wonder what other wrong advice they were giving me.

Can the Genie ever be put back in the bottle now?

Your thoughts please.

End of Rant.
"This has been a public service announcement."
#market #niche #stop
  • Exactly. It is very easy to mix up the two, and I still make this small mistake every once in a while.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476842].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Preach it, brother Niche Man...

      Drives me nuts when I hear someone talking about the "health niche."

      Health is not a niche.

      Back exercises for middle aged male golfers who only play on weekends is a niche.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    yeah drives me crazy too, just proves most of the people teaching IM have no freaking idea what they are talking about..

    We got the blind leading the blind and people are wondering why they make no money...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    Now the real question is - is it nitch or neesh...
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476886].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GetContentNow
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      Now the real question is - is it nitch or neesh...
      Funny...

      So...I guess the poster is saying a "niche" is a subcategory of a "market."

      Either way, as long as you're making money doing what you're doing, keep doing it. Or, find something else to do. I have been told within the past couple of years to streamline a market to as specific of a group of people as possible.

      So...if I understand right, the poster's definition of "niche" makes sense.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9478650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mo2menelzeiny
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      Now the real question is - is it nitch or neesh...
      Hahaha, that had me going crazy for a while..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9482068].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert Puddy
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      Now the real question is - is it nitch or neesh...
      a nitch is something you scratch jason
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9487474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
    Awhile back I saw a good differentiation by Michael Port. A niche is what you do or what you sell and a market is who you sell it to.

    So taking that definition, weight loss is a niche if you help a certain group of people to lose weight. Your market may be overbroad if you say it's everybody that needs to lose weight. A better target market would be males over 50 that used to play football or whatever.

    Likewise health is a niche taking the same definition. Now maybe it's an overly broad niche but what niche is a family practice physician in? He's in the healthcare niche. Who is his market? People that are sick. What other niche would he be in? He doesn't just do back pain, colds, sex problems, depression, etc. He is in the healthcare niche.

    So if you use the definition of do what you do to who, you can break down both pieces of the puzzle - not just one.

    Niche:

    General Healthcare > Upper Body diseases (if there is such a thing) > Ear, nose & throat medicine (Services are limited to problems related to EN&T diseases or problems)

    Market: Menopausal females

    Niche:

    Self Improvement > Relationships > Marriage Help > Overcoming Divorce (Sell a physical newsletter that comes out every 2 weeks)

    Market:

    Recently divorced people with minor children still living at home

    Niche:

    Internet Marketing > Affiliate Marketing > Article Writing > PLR (Selling PLR to others is what you do)

    Market:

    People with more than 3 affiliate sites regarding pets that are having trouble getting enough content

    Hope that make sense.


    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476902].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author heavysm
      LOL YES!

      I've literally seen marketers at the top levels do this and it's annoying.

      It actually partially reduces their credibility regardless of their experience. I know that may be a bit drastic but if you're positioning yourself as a marketing expert at any arena you better know your stuff

      I can't tell if they're being sloppy and they know better or that they're just completely misinformed about the difference.

      Either way it's a habit and needs to change.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author George Wright
    A niche is a market. When niche is used as an adjective it is correctly said to be a "niche market."

    Health could also be a niche for the market of people, animals or plants. People could be a niche in the market of living things.

    Niche markets

    Niche markets are an attractive opportunity available to small businesses forced to compete against the scale economies that larger competitors are able to achieve.

    What are Niche Markets? What Advantages do They Offer? ag.arizona.edu/.../nichemarkets/01whatar...


    George Wright
    Signature
    "The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book." Mickey Spillane
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      Now the real question is - is it nitch or neesh...
      That depends on whether or not you know how to pronounce it properly...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476918].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by George Wright View Post

      Niche markets are an attractive opportunity available to small businesses forced to compete against the scale economies that larger competitors are able to achieve.
      Good point my friend.

      Yes, that's their beauty. When done right, they can give everyone a shot.

      They kinda help level the playing field ... when you do it right and avoid the temptation to cut corners or try to jimmy the lock.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9477290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    Damn you, Niche Man.

    As someone who makes a nice living deep in teeny tiny niches, I wholeheartedly encourage all of you to forget you ever saw this thread.

    Niche... Market... Tomato... Tomotto...

    Keep the confusion alive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9476980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    I've studied specialized markets, also known as "niches" for over 20 years and if there's one immutable truth it's this:

    Put 100 marketers in a room and ask them to define what a market is and what a niche is and you'll get a varying degree of different answers, all 100 of them!

    I look at markets and niches in different ways too, but I think this next metaphor ought to do the trick:

    When I go into a night club looking to mingle, the women in that club are my market. But when I hone in on the cute brunette who was born in Venezuela and she has a nice, hot tan.... well, she's my niche! (Because I prefer brunettes).

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9477297].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Rod Cortez View Post

      I've studied specialized markets, also known as "niches" for over 20 years and if there's one immutable truth it's this:

      Put 100 marketers in a room and ask them to define what a market is and what a niche is and you'll get a varying degree of different answers, all 100 of them!

      I look at markets and niches in different ways too, but I think this next metaphor ought to do the trick:

      When I go into a night club looking to mingle, the women in that club are my market. But when I hone in on the cute brunette who was born in Venezuela and she has a nice, hot tan.... well, she's my niche! (Because I prefer brunettes).

      RoD
      Good example Rod.
      But here's my million dollar question ... Is she an untapped niche?
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9477323].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
        Humorous, maybe even a little silly ... but incredibly true when it comes to a niche. You ever been through this, heard these cliches or tried to explain it to someone new?

        Signature
        Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
        "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
        "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9478619].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve B
          I would like to offer a different definition and perspective that no one has really talked about yet. The concept comes from Eben Pagan, it is not my own. Here's his definition:

          Niche: "A need many people have that your product fills."

          A niche is a space, a void, a "hole" in the market, a place where you position your business to meet a need in the market.

          When you adopt this definition, the whole idea of choosing a niche makes no sense. You don't choose a niche like you choose a menu item at a restaurant.

          This definition suggests you discover, or find, or create, or develop a niche. You find a void in the market (by doing market research) and then you position your business and products to fill that need.

          It's obvious that looking at a niche in this light forces you to begin your business by focusing on discovering the needs - wants - desires of the market.

          This is a different definition than most Warriors would give for the term "niche" but it helps me to understand better why so many new IMers fail.

          They "pick a niche and a product" and they're off to the races.

          Huge mistake!

          Steve
          Signature

          Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
          SteveBrowneDirect

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9478713].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
            Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

            Niche: “A need many people have that your product fills.”

            A niche is a space, a void, a "hole" in the market, a place where you position your business to meet a need in the market.

            When you adopt this definition, the whole idea of choosing a niche makes no sense. You don't choose a niche like you choose a menu item at a restaurant.

            This definition suggests you discover, or find, or create, or develop a niche. You find a void in the market (by doing market research) and then you position your business and products to fill that need.
            Good definition and example. That’s one of the dangers of confusing a general market with a niche – like you see so many people do in this forum. When you start off with the wrong definition - you start off in the wrong direction.

            I think many times when people ask the question, “what niche should I choose?” They’re asking , what market should I choose?

            And of course they’re others who want you to give them a specific niche on a silver platter. For example, what’s the most profitable niche, that converts the highest for little or no money or work invested?

            The one’s I take the most serious are the one’s who ask , “how do I find a niche? Or even how do I create, develop or improve a niche (although I’ve yet to see that question in this forum).

            I know those people are ready to do the work – they inspire you to help them a little more than others.

            But you're right it's more about "positioning" than "picking" when it comes to a niche. You pick or choose a market ... not a niche.
            Signature
            Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
            "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
            "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9480717].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jakedenver
            Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

            I would like to offer a different definition and perspective that no one has really talked about yet. The concept comes from Eben Pagan, it is not my own. Here's his definition:

            Niche: "A need many people have that your product fills."

            A niche is a space, a void, a "hole" in the market, a place where you position your business to meet a need in the market.

            When you adopt this definition, the whole idea of choosing a niche makes no sense. You don't choose a niche like you choose a menu item at a restaurant.

            This definition suggests you discover, or find, or create, or develop a niche. You find a void in the market (by doing market research) and then you position your business and products to fill that need.

            It's obvious that looking at a niche in this light forces you to begin your business by focusing on discovering the needs - wants - desires of the market.

            This is a different definition than most Warriors would give for the term "niche" but it helps me to understand better why so many new IMers fail.

            They "pick a niche and a product" and they're off to the races.

            Huge mistake!

            Steve
            I was actually going to recommend that this guy just say "Learn niche marketing by the guys who actually get major results - Frank Kern or Eben Pagan" - and save a lot of reading for the new guys he's talking to.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9487007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beatinest
    Somebody had to do it...lol

    niche


    noun

    1. an ornamental recess in a wall or the like, usually semicircular in plan and arched, as for a statue or other decorative object.

    2. a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing: to find one's niche in the business world.

    3. a distinct segment of a market.

    4. Ecology. the position or function of an organism in a community of plants and animals.

    To answer your question jasondinner

    ...according to dictionary.com, it's pronounced nitch.

    Niche | Define Niche at Dictionary.com
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9478927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author saulmaraney
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9479461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Christian Swift
    Niche Man, I definitely agree!

    It's actually quite sad that a lot of newbie Internet Marketers get confused with a niche and a market, as a lot of them just go into affiliate marketing straight away (because they think it is a quick buck), and then they lose money trying to promote a Clickbank product badly!

    Thanks for this post, it serves as a reminder for all the remember the difference between a MARKET and a NICHE - it's in the name - NICHED. Lol!

    Best Regards,

    Christian
    Signature
    Revealed: "The 7 Horrendous Mistakes Beginner Internet Marketers Make in Their Business That Stop Them From Ever Making Any Money Online"

    Click HERE To Grab Your Free Report!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9480897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    You guys are picking nits. The OP is incorrect...

    The term market refers to a group of consumers or organizations
    that is interested in the product, has the financial means to purchase
    the product, and is permitted by law or other regulation to acquire the
    product.

    That's it. Period. Please explain how a group of buyers you define as a
    niche does not fall under that definition.

    Focus on what matters. Too many people waste too much time learning
    things about business that either don't matter or are completely wrong. This
    thread definitely falls into both of those categories.
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9481017].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

      You guys are picking nits. The OP is incorrect...

      The term market refers to a group of consumers or organizations
      that is interested in the product, has the financial means to purchase
      the product, and is permitted by law or other regulation to acquire the
      product.

      That's it. Period. Please explain how a group of buyers you define as a
      niche does not fall under that definition.

      Focus on what matters. Too many people waste too much time learning
      things about business that either don't matter or are completely wrong. This
      thread definitely falls into both of those categories.
      That's not the dictionary definition of a
      niche market you gave. Look it up. Your definition is missing a small detail that "you say" doesn't matter.

      My definition is not my opinion. but thanks for yours.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9484447].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        That's not the dictionary definition of a
        niche market you gave. Look it up. Your definition is missing a small detail that "you say" doesn't matter.

        My definition is not my opinion. but thanks for yours.
        I didn't offer a definition of the term niche market... I clearly defined the term market.

        I simply asked if anyone could explain to me how a group of people
        you define as a niche doesn't fall within the definition of a market.

        If you can't, that's OK. Nothing I wrote is opinion... it's all fact. The evidence of
        your confusion on the subject is obvious... in your disagreement with my analysis
        you use the term "niche market." So... is a niche a market or isn't it?

        There are many dictionaries... to which are you referring? I'd be happy to look at it.
        Signature
        If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485410].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
          Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post


          There are many dictionaries... to which are you referring? I'd be happy to look at it.
          BusinessDictionary.com
          Type niche marketing in search box ?
          Signature
          Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
          "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
          "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9486299].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
            Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

            BusinessDictionary.com
            Type niche marketing in search box ?
            Looked it up... here's what I found...

            "Concentrating all marketing efforts on a small but specific and well defined segment of the population. Niches do not 'exist' but are 'created' by identifying needs, wants, and requirements that are being addressed poorly or not at all by other firms, and developing and delivering goods or services to satisfy them. As a strategy, niche marketing is aimed at being a big fish in a small pond instead of being a small fish in a big pond. Also called micromarketing."

            And your point is?
            Signature
            If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9487499].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Steve B
              For all you information marketers:

              Lots of opinions on the subject.

              I, for one, am not posting to change anyone's mind or to try to convince someone that they should believe as I do. However . . .

              For those who are struggling with the whole "niche" concept, I would offer this:

              One of the very best ways to create a business or product that stands out - that rises above the competition - is to create a unique and original product of very high quality that exactly addresses (answers) the needs/desires of a similar group of people in any market.

              When you do this, you have the ability to "carve out" or create your own niche with your info product. It's your space because you've positioned your business and product to be different than all the rest of the solutions in the market.

              The way you accomplish this isn't by first picking or "choosing" the market or the solution you're going to offer to the market.

              Why? Because you may not really know or understand what the problem/desire is (even though you may think you do). A much better, smarter, and more efficient approach is to do a little research into the market first and find then verify or validate that your discovery is correct - that you really do know what all these folks want - that you really do understand their desire or the solution they need.

              This approach let's you discover an under-served segment of the market, it helps you to validate their desire(s), and it allows you to assess the size of the segment, the competition for their dollars, and how you might reach the group (i.e. the places where the segment's prospects "hang out.")

              Now you can position your business to best serve the market segment you've identified.

              So what is your niche? It's not the market, or the sub-market, or the people you're going to eventually market to.

              Here's the definition I gave in my earlier post:

              Niche: "A need many people have that your product fills."

              The best to you all,

              Steve
              Signature

              Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
              SteveBrowneDirect

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9487721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZephyrIon
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Why do people still get a market confused with a niche? I use to just hear newbies using the two words interchangeably.
    "This has been a public service announcement."
    It sounds like it was a touchy subject for you when you started IM and you didn't get it either at one point and then all of a sudden did.

    People don't understand it because they don't get into IM because they understand marketing in general they get in because they believe it's brain dead easy money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9481973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author melprise
    The "niche" vs "market" confusion comes about in Internet marketing due to the crucial need to specialize for SEO purposes, so as to lower the competition for the population one is targeting. Consequently, people spend so much time sufficiently narrowing down on niches, that the relationships get mixed up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9483283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bones46
    What does it matter what it is called? If you can identify potential customers and find a way to make money from them - then you can call it anything you want from market to niche to industry. Who cares. I just want to know how much can be made from your niche/market.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ellimar
    I just paid for your program. No access yet. Also, your phone is disconnected. What gives?

    Ellie Marciniak
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485084].message }}
    • Don't know who in this thread Ellimar is asking this:
      Originally Posted by ellimar View Post

      I just paid for your program. No access yet. Also, your phone is disconnected. What gives?
      , but:

      Perhaps someone may be interested in:

      *** Filling in Ellimar's niche need, which is professional after sales support services for a competing product; or

      *** Filling in the product vendor's niche need, which is providing professional after sales services to customers; or

      *** Filling in the product vendor's niche need, which is cheap PSTN PBX or hosted PBX subscription services with easy payment terms?

      Signature

      Watch My Current R&D Project in Action: Wearable 3D Perception Device for the Blind
      • Please Support My Project at PATREON

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485113].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ellimar
        Originally Posted by Marx Vergel Melencio View Post

        Don't know who in this thread Ellimar is asking this: , but:

        Perhaps someone may be interested in:

        *** Filling in Ellimar's niche need, which is professional after sales support services for a competing product; or

        *** Filling in the product vendor's niche need, which is providing professional after sales services to customers; or

        *** Filling in the product vendor's niche need, which is cheap PSTN PBX or hosted PBX subscription services with easy payment terms?

        Thanks for monitoring my reply in this thread, Mr. Melencio. I clicked on the link for Roy Primm's Nicheman post and paid for his Niche Creation Secrets but did not receive a download. I have left two voicemail messages on his phone(s) with the understanding that this is Sunday.

        As you can tell, I am a newbie and wanted to see if his program is as good as his copy says it is. I don't know how else to contact him. Got any suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by ellimar View Post

      I just paid for your program. No access yet. Also, your phone is disconnected. What gives?

      Ellie Marciniak
      My customer service manager will
      contact you Monday to investigate the problem. My apologies. -Roy
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9486252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    For those who say it doesn't matter or it's nitpicky, think again. As mentioned, niche is French for crack or crevice. Think of a huge wall with a crevice. The wall is the market the crevice the niche.

    It matters because people come here thinking they're going to choose the Health niche and actually be successful. Johnson & Johnson, a multi billion dollar company couldn't serve the whole Health market so how is someone just starting out with a domain, hosting and a blog going to be successful in a massive market like health?

    It matters not because people are misusing the terminology but because they don't understand it, which leads them to make costly mistakes. Recently I saw someone here post that he was going into the "Sports niche." What does that even mean? He might be selling collectible baseball cards. He might be hocking athletic supporters. Maybe he's going to operate an Internet radio talk show and discuss women's basketball.

    These are all niches in the massive Sports market. It matters because it helps someone new, as well as more seasoned marketers to define what they're going to be doing. It matters because unless someone has a well defined plan and recognizes exactly what they're going to be doing, and who their market is they will fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485139].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      For those who say it doesn't matter or it's nitpicky, think again. As mentioned, niche is French for crack or crevice. Think of a huge wall with a crevice. The wall is the market the crevice the niche.

      It matters because people come here thinking they're going to choose the Health niche and actually be successful. Johnson & Johnson, a multi billion dollar company couldn't serve the whole Health market so how is someone just starting out with a domain, hosting and a blog going to be successful in a massive market like health?

      It matters not because people are misusing the terminology but because they don't understand it, which leads them to make costly mistakes. Recently I saw someone here post that he was going into the "Sports niche." What does that even mean? He might be selling collectible baseball cards. He might be hocking athletic supporters. Maybe he's going to operate an Internet radio talk show and discuss women's basketball.

      These are all niches in the massive Sports market. It matters because it helps someone new, as well as more seasoned marketers to define what they're going to be doing. It matters because unless someone has a well defined plan and recognizes exactly what they're going to be doing, and who their market is they will fail.
      I completely understand what you're saying. The point is that those Marv Throneberry
      signed baseball card collectors are a very narrow niche but they also constitute a market.

      My point is if we're actually going to help people move in the right direction let's not
      waste time trying to teach them something that... a) just isn't so... b) obfuscates rather
      than clarifies.

      For all I know there may be only 257 people on the planet who care about signed Marv
      Throneberry rookie cards... but they're still the market for that product.
      Signature
      If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485422].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Tsnyder View Post

        I didn't offer a definition of the term niche market... I clearly defined the term market.

        I simply asked if anyone could explain to me how a group of people
        you define as a niche doesn't fall within the definition of a market.

        If you can't, that's OK. Nothing I wrote is opinion... it's all fact. The evidence of
        your confusion on the subject is obvious... in your disagreement with my analysis
        you use the term "niche market." So... is a niche a market or isn't it?

        There are many dictionaries... to which are you referring? I'd be happy to look at it.
        In my mind, a niche is a subset of a market. So, niches fall under your definition of a market the same way a Cocker spaniel falls under the definition of "dog."

        A spaniel is always a dog, but a dog isn't always a spaniel.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485446].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          In my mind, a niche is a subset of a market. So, niches fall under your definition of a market the same way a Cocker spaniel falls under the definition of "dog."

          A spaniel is always a dog, but a dog isn't always a spaniel.
          Not at all.... a "subset" of a market is still a market... period.

          No matter how many or few the number of people who
          are interested in acquiring a product they ARE the market
          for that product.

          Unless, of course, you're saying there is no market for spaniels...

          As I said... picking nits.
          Signature
          If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9486068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    whats your niche and within what market?
    Signature
    Free Video Training Sharing The Steps To Succeed With Affiliate Marketing.
    Get Access At www.cbaffiliatecareer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    For example,
    Question: What's the most profitable niche? What niche should I choose? (Ever heard that before here) .

    Answer: Seasoned posters will give Weight Loss, Dating, Intenet Marketing or Health as a niche. For the record those are markets. A niche is a segment, part or piece of one of those markets.
    Then the problem is that those posters simply don't understand what "niche" means. But just saying a niche isn't a market risks more confusion, because, as you've gone on to point out yourself, a niche actually is a market - albeit a specifically defined, and more targeted one.


    --
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Javisito
    Correct me if I'm wrong but a niche is a specific interest and something people want more information and/or looking for a solotion...

    And a market is all about sales..

    A niche have a market... But not the other way around.

    To be honest though I do not care to much about definitions as it is not really that important as long as one finds something that makes money
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    I've been one of the sticklers around here on this topic but I've never, ever said a niche isn't a market. Obviously, it is. I have to chuckle when someone uses the term sub-niche. That tells me they likely believe that niche and market are exactly the same. Maybe this is a little on the picky side but what ever happened to having words that actually refer to specific things?

    I'm convinced that the distinction between a real market and a niche, a subset of that market, is a problem for many new marketers. A few years ago someone posted here asking what might be the best way to invest $500 advertising in the Health niche. I threw in with my usual mantra that "health ain't a niche, it's a huge market," comment. A couple of weeks later this individual came back and said that they didn't get a single lead for their $500 spend and by then realized that the advertising they'd bought was far too broad.

    That's an expensive vocabulary lesson if you ask me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485586].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WPnewbie
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Now that the Genie is so far out of the bottle I wonder if we can ever put it back. It could be like turning around a Cruise Ship on a lake but here goes ...

    Why do people still get a market confused with a niche? I use to just hear newbies using the two words interchangeably.

    But now I'm even seeing people who have a thousand posts or more and been a Warrior member since 2010 confusing a niche with a market. Yikes

    When newbies see the more experienced using the terms interchangeably they follow suit. Which exasperates the inaccurate terms even more. Now I here more people in the W.F using it the wrong way than the right way.

    For example,
    Question: What's the most profitable niche? What niche should I choose? (Ever heard that before here) .

    Answer: Seasoned posters will give Weight Loss, Dating, Intenet Marketing or Health as a niche. For the record those are markets. A niche is a segment, part or piece of one of those markets.

    So when someone ask what niche should I choose? Most of the time I think they're really asking what market should I choose? Other times they really want to know about a niche.

    But it's sometimes confusing which one they mean. I think most people just give them the generic answers they've heard over and over again from others on this forum. I have no problem with that if it's used in the right context.

    If I were a newbie and someone confused these two simple terms I'd wonder what other wrong advice they were giving me.

    Can the Genie ever be put back in the bottle now?

    Your thoughts please.

    End of Rant.
    "This has been a public service announcement."
    Using your examples I would say that even you have it wrong.

    Internet marketing is surely a Niche of Marketing or Business or Commerce which in turn are Niche of Economics.

    Health is surely a Niche of Biology or The Human Body or Science?

    I'm sure that the same could be said for Dating and Weight Loss. Dating could fall under Relationships and Weight Loss could actually fall under many other markets and could be argued that is actually a sub set of Health.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9485843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    Now the real question is - is it nitch or neesh...
    Haha. Too funny I think it is pronounced neesh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9486466].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WPnewbie
      Originally Posted by cyberzolo View Post

      Haha. Too funny I think it is pronounced neesh
      Depends on which side of the pond you live and whether or not the word is being used by those outside/inside the IM game. In my part of the world and before the internets, business owners and those in general pronounced it - Neesh.

      http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de.../english/niche - pay particular attention to the Pronunciation.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9486978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ellimar
    Just got my problem straightened out with Nicheman, to my full satisfaction. I think it was a broken download link which I didn't understand, but nevertheless Mr. Primm helped me along with an email link to get my product to me.

    Very helpful and welcome rescue for my needs. Good stuff, too. I'm happy. Sorry I was such a crybaby. I'm humbled... sorta ... but not cowed.

    Cheers, Roy, and much continued success to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9487717].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by ellimar View Post

      Just got my problem straightened out with Nicheman, to my full satisfaction. I think it was a broken download link which I didn't understand, but nevertheless Mr. Primm helped me along with an email link to get my product to me.

      Very helpful and welcome rescue for my needs. Good stuff, too. I'm happy. Sorry I was such a crybaby. I'm humbled... sorta ... but not cowed.

      Cheers, Roy, and much continued success to you.
      Now the fun begins. Even as you learn, keep coming back to the W.F to spread the word, plus keep informed. If you don't know the answer ask.
      See you at the top.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9489016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeffreyErrington
    It's true what you say but I don't think people get confused between the two. I think it's more to do with what they hear time and time again and believe to be true.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9489160].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by JeffreyErrington View Post

      It's true what you say but I don't think people get confused between the two. I think it's more to do with what they hear time and time again and believe to be true.
      Yes, the blind leading the blind. That's probably the most dangerous scenario of all, because when it doesn't work, or even worst causes unrepairable damage ...
      • You're back to square one.
      • You still don't know the right direction to go.
      • And You've lost precious time and money.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9493238].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Pagulayan
        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Yes, the blind leading the blind. That's probably the most dangerous scenario of all, because when it doesn't work, or even worst causes unrepairable damage ...
        • You're back to square one.
        • You still don't know the right direction to go.
        • And You've lost precious time and money.
        If you helped them reach their goal of an additional $4000 income a month, does it matter what term you used to take him there?

        Interchanging the term niche and market (although personally I think this falls under the 'too much ado about nothing' category) doesn't make you any less of a marketer and vice versa.

        I respect everyone's thoughts on this but saying it in a context wherein it makes you less of a marketer if you don't follow the OP's definition is just plain wrong on my opinion.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9583492].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
          Originally Posted by John Pagulayan View Post

          If you helped them reach their goal of an additional $4000 income a month, does it matter what term you used to take him there?

          Interchanging the term niche and market (although personally I think this falls under the 'too much ado about nothing' category) doesn't make you any less of a marketer and vice versa.

          I respect everyone's thoughts on this but saying it in a context wherein it makes you less of a marketer if you don't follow the OP's definition is just plain wrong on my opinion.
          Sure, and if a carpenter called a wrench a screwdriver and a hammer a saw, it doesn't make any difference either, as long as the house got built, right?.

          However, I'm not sure I'd want to live in that house. And I definitely wouldn't look to him to teach me anything about carpentry if he can't even get his terminology right. I'd always wonder what other misinformation or important details is he neglecting.

          Yes, it may be a little thing, but often success is wrapped in details the average person misses or thinks insignificant.
          Signature
          Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
          "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
          "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9583783].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Pagulayan
            Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

            Sure, and if a carpenter called a wrench a screwdriver and a hammer a saw, it doesn't make any difference either, as long as the house got built, right?.

            However, I'm not sure I'd want to live in that house. And I definitely wouldn't look to him to teach me anything about carpentry if he can't even get his terminology right. I'd always wonder what other misinformation or important details is he neglecting.

            Yes, it may be a little thing, but often success is wrapped in details the average person misses or thinks insignificant.
            1. If the house gets built then sure I'd go with that. Rather than go with carpenters who know their tools but can't even build one. Knowing doesn't mean you can. Heck, ancient civilizations have been building complex structures that baffles engineers of today. Will I dismiss their ingenuity just because they don't know a right angle from an obtuse one?

            2. An additinal $4000 income just means it was built right. And I couldn't care less how he calls it as long as he can take me to where I needed to go. If he was able to take me to what I need to achieve, I'd dwell on the good education rather than the misinformation.

            3. I'm not saying it's insignificant. I'm just speaking in behalf of those people who have real results and is able to help others regardless whether it's a niche or a market they are referring to.

            Just because we can freely use analogy doesn't mean its always in the right context.

            And to quote you on your last sentence,

            "success is wrapped in details the average person misses or thinks insignificant" - why bother with the details if you already unwrapped success?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9583936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ejiro
    It can be interchanged. Niche / Market. When there is a market a niche has been created and when there is niche a market has been created.
    Signature

    Get More Here: Click Now! It's time to stop chasing shiny objects and build a REAL passive income online!.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9581208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by ejiro View Post

      It can be interchanged. Niche / Market. When there is a market a niche has been created and when there is niche a market has been created.
      Yes when used together, they can be used interchangeably and you'll get the same meaning. The problem comes when they're used separately or by themselves and still given the same meaning.

      By itself a market is always broader than a niche. And a niche is always narrower than a market.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9581407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Doug Hewitt
    I'll be honest, it's only been recently that I learned the difference. For some reason this has come up a lot in the last couple of months in different threads. I'm glad I finally got set straight on that one, but I don't feel quite as stupid hearing that other marketers with a lot of experience are also getting it wrong. Doug
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9581420].message }}

Trending Topics