8 replies
Lately, I've made it a habit to click on people's signature link to check out sites.

If they are bothering to put up a link, then at least I can take a minute to visit. That's especially true if the person made a really relevant post.

However, on some occasions, even when the signature line promised something really enticing, the website that it links to is just bad quality.

On one particular site that I visited via a signature line, most if not all of the articles were not related to any common theme and ranged from TV shows to marketing.

This was not someone's personal blog but more like a weird assortment of random advertisements on each post.

I am only assuming the blogger was selling posts to others or just didn't know how to create a good blog.

Not saying this to be judgmental, but it put me off their blog how they could not stick to at least one generalized niche.

What bothered me most was how the signature line promised one thing but there was no mention of that on their blog.

Not sure if anyone else is coming across this issue but it brings up questions as to why people are not using their signature line more effectively as truly sometimes these things do get clicked on.

You can't just have a great signature line and then fail to deliver for the person who takes time to click through.

Observations, tips, tricks welcome on this subject.
#fails #line #signature
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Holmes
    Signature lines are no different than posts...

    Some are downright poor...

    Some are worth reading...

    Some I've copied and saved to my hard drive for reading again...

    I do the same thing you do - I click on signature links - but I tend to restrict my clicking to topics that interest me... so I'm not nearly as often disappointed.

    But there's no "signature moderator" in the sense that you need ... nor would I be in favor of such. Freedom means putting up with the garbage as well as the gems.

    (My personal thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them... enjoy!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9490988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Stangel
    Not sure if anyone else is coming across this issue but it brings up questions as to why people are not using their signature line more effectively as truly sometimes these things do get clicked on.
    You are talking about a large percentage of newbies and wanna-bees. They are not experienced or knowledgeable so they don't know any better. They're doing what they think will work.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9491021].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alvinhy
    Well in their point of view, they think their signature line is used effectively.
    They created a website, and linked it on the signature = traffic!

    But what they do not think about is, without a good system (sales funnel) any amount of traffic is useless.
    I always tell people to create a good sales funnel that works before pumping traffic into the system.

    Without a converting system you will never have profit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9492289].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      What continues to surprise me is the number of defunct/inoperational/incorrectly-typed links in the signature-files of (even active) members here. It always puzzles me that they've never noticed ...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9492790].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPlan
        Originally Posted by Ben Holmes View Post

        But there's no "signature moderator" in the sense that you need ... nor would I be in favor of such. Freedom means putting up with the garbage as well as the gems.

        (My personal thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them... enjoy!)
        A signature line moderator sounds like a good idea actually. Some of the other big name webmaster forums I have visited over the years have signatures related to things not about webmaster/SEO and it looks tacky. If I owned a webmaster forum, I would not want people getting onto the forum and backlinking in the signature line to a plumbing repair company in Boise, Idaho.

        They should really put someone in place to smite those spam links.

        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        What continues to surprise me is the number of defunct/inoperational/incorrectly-typed links in the signature-files of (even active) members here. It always puzzles me that they've never noticed ...
        Lost traffic/earnings potential. And, the veterans should know better.

        Originally Posted by alvinhy View Post

        Well in their point of view, they think their signature line is used effectively.
        They created a website, and linked it on the signature = traffic!

        But what they do not think about is, without a good system (sales funnel) any amount of traffic is useless.
        I always tell people to create a good sales funnel that works before pumping traffic into the system.

        Without a converting system you will never have profit.

        Many say that signature lines don't work to get traffic while the truth is that a lousy signature line will never work, no matter how good your site is. And, conversely even if your signature line is good, your site has to deliver on the promise of your signature line in order to convert.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9506971].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
          What bothers me the most with signature files is that people sometimes go on a "posting spree", posting 5-word post, one after another, in the hopes of gaining traffic. I'd rather see a moderator going after that, than after "questionable" sig-files. Actually, take care of these people and the poor sig-files will more or less take care of themselves - the people vomiting a few useless words per posts are very likely to sport scammy sig-files.

          I could give examples, but I don't want to get "expelled" from here.

          Anyway, I believe signatures don't live a life of their own. They're tightly attached to the member's reputation and the quality of their posts. To put it in other words, the greatest signature line is worthless if the member "donning" it has a reputation for being dishonest and unreliable, or makes uninformative, superficial posts just to pimp his sig-file. Conversely, a member with some "weight" on this forum can have the most bland sig-file and get more clients, because his reputation and wise words are what makes people buy his products and/or services.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9507073].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
            Originally Posted by Brent Stangel View Post

            You are talking about a large percentage of newbies and wanna-bees. They are not experienced or knowledgeable so they don't know any better. They're doing what they think will work.
            Or, more likely, they're doing what someone pretending to be experienced and knowledgeable told them to do. Either way, you're right. They don't know any better.

            Maybe I'm just a smartass, but I've been known to answer threads asking how to make money by referring them to their own sig links.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9507198].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPlan
              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              Anyway, I believe signatures don't live a life of their own. They're tightly attached to the member's reputation and the quality of their posts. To put it in other words, the greatest signature line is worthless if the member "donning" it has a reputation for being dishonest and unreliable, or makes uninformative, superficial posts just to pimp his sig-file. Conversely, a member with some "weight" on this forum can have the most bland sig-file and get more clients, because his reputation and wise words are what makes people buy his products and/or services.
              This! Truth spoken here. And, thank you. If only more people understood this concept. The value you bring to a forum is equal to the respect you receive. Build up the community and you will enhance your own reputation and trust factor.

              Interacting with and caring about the well being of others in the community is key to earning their trust. When you put that motive first, rather than promotion, it shows through in every word.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9514293].message }}

Trending Topics