Blogging in another language, is it beneficial?

17 replies
Hi everybody,

I write a blog in English and lately I've been thinking about translating my posts into my native language, to get traction there as well. It would be quite easy because I can write a lot faster in my native language than in English.

Do you think it'd be beneficial to do this in my native language? Should I change the name of my website as well or should I just go with the same name but with the domain ending that suits my country?

EDIT: I'm going to use a different website than the one I'm using now!

Looking forward to your input!
StevieT
#beneficial #blogging #language
  • Profile picture of the author jurojin
    Translating your articles into your native language is not enough because Google won't see your articles as unique. In my opinion, you should start a new website in your native language and approach other topics than on your .com domain. Writing 2-3 articles per day in your native language shouldn't take too long and it will definitely have a good impact on your business. Unless you live in a 3'rd world country in which case writing articles in your language will be futile.

    Hope this helps..
    Cheers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9556925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JasonPie
      Originally Posted by jurojin View Post

      Translating your articles into your native language is not enough because Google won't see your articles as unique.
      Please explain what led you to that conclusion? is that based on facts or you just assumed?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9584317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LuckyIMer
    The best approach would be to use multilingual content or websites/subdomains and follow the multilingual SEO guide The Ultimate Guide to Multilingual and Multiregional SEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9556932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author artflair
    Originally Posted by StevieT View Post

    Hi everybody,

    I write a blog in English and lately I've been thinking about translating my posts into my native language, to get traction there as well. It would be quite easy because I can write a lot faster in my native language than in English.

    Do you think it'd be beneficial to do this in my native language? Should I change the name of my website as well or should I just go with the same name but with the domain ending that suits my country?

    Looking forward to your input!
    StevieT
    What is your native language?
    How many people are speaking it globally?
    You want to have a broad audience to make it worth a while...
    There's a simple Wordpress plugin called 'qTranslate' which allows you to write posts in two languages and then your readers can switch between the two whenever they want...
    Good luck
    Art
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9556938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevieT
    Hey all,

    Thanks for your answers.

    I'm starting on a new domain and I'll be mixing content from my English website with content that's purely on my Dutch website. I'd say approximately 22 million people speak Dutch and my niche is pretty popular in this country.

    If any of you has other tips, please share them :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9557179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author himanuzo
    Adsense is good for other languages. Make sure that contents pass copyscape 100%.

    e.g: Indonesian language with 71 million internet users who are Indonesian.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9557419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Ah, Dutch. That accounts for it (I was just thinking that your English is stangely good, idiomatic and context-appropriate for someone not speaking it as his first language).

      Here's the thing about Dutch websites and internet marketing: the level of English literacy and especially comprehension skills in your country is almost universally so very high that the additional benefit from actually blogging in Dutch may actually be a little marginal (compared with what would be the case for many countries), I suspect. Every time I've been to Amsterdam - and it's only 45 minutes from me, by air - it's struck me that the average person in the street speaks better English than they do where I live, in the north of England. Granted, that's only Amsterdam, perhaps, and not the whole country, but still ...

      I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails at all, but the marginal benefit from blogging in Dutch is nothing like that from blogging in Spanish or even in Portuguese, especially allowing for the fact that most of your compatriots can read English anyway.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9557536].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnnyPlan
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        Ah, Dutch. That accounts for it (I was just thinking that your English is stangely good, idiomatic and context-appropriate for someone not speaking it as his first language).

        Here's the thing about Dutch websites and internet marketing: the level of English literacy and especially comprehension skills in your country is almost universally so very high that the additional benefit from actually blogging in Dutch may actually be a little marginal (compared with what would be the case for many countries), I suspect. Every time I've been to Amsterdam - and it's only 45 minutes from me, by air - it's struck me that the average person in the street speaks better English than they do where I live, in the north of England. Granted, that's only Amsterdam, perhaps, and not the whole country, but still ...

        I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails at all, but the marginal benefit from blogging in Dutch is nothing like that from blogging in Spanish or even in Portuguese, especially allowing for the fact that most of your compatriots can read English anyway.

        .
        I appreciate hearing from someone who has actually visited the area. I have a Dutch friend (whom I met online through my business dealings) and his English (text) is always so perfect. On every occasion that I've asked to speak via phone, he insists that he can't speak good English. Which is very ironic for someone who seems so literate in messages. And, I always wondered how that could be. I don't assume this is universally true now that I've read your post about how others there speak/understand English so well. But, at least it clears up that mystery for me.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9587548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevieT
    Hey Alexa,

    Your advice is most appreciated. There are some big guys in my niche which makes me think I can do it too. It is true that many people in my country speak English very well (the younger generations especially!), but I also know quite some people who prefer to read in Dutch better because it feels more natural.

    There's also another side to the coin, people who rather read in English than in Dutch.

    Again, thanks for your honest advice. I guess I'll give it a little try over the next few months and see where it ends.

    StevieT
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9559722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deekay
    StevieT, writing in your language will be helpful in your local seo. Moreover, these translational tools like google, do not work out at the level of emotional meaning or connect of the language. If you write yourself then you can connect with your audience much better than any other tool on the planet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9559923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnZ
    You can definitely benefit from translating your content into multiple languages. There are several ways to do it. You could install a WordPress plugin that translates your posts, create a new website from scratch, or set up a blog within your main site and write content in your native language. The decision is up to you.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9560789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeMiller
    I'd say that also many local people may speak English that doesn't meant that it's what they use on their own. If the market is big enough you can certainly benefit from a Dutch version. Many times creating a local version can be highly benefitial as the competition may be much lower. Of course on the other hand the market will be much slower than in English, but the benefits may make up for the drawbacks.
    Signature
    Dominate LinkedIn, establish yourself as an expert, generate a constant stream of high-paying clients and grow your business:
    Learn how to unlock LinkedIn’s full potential!


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9560877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author M1ks
    It really depends how many people is speaking your language. I recommend you to do another page in your native language, post 1-2 articles everyday with original and interesting content and you will see results fast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9563541].message }}
  • I've done a few sites in Serbian (where I was born) and they where all total failures. I have talked to a few bloggers in Serbia and none of them have found a way to monetize the blog, the ads are dismal to non it just sucks. So I no longer do it but I keep an eye on the opportunity and hope one day I can blog in my native language which by the way is easy to spell since there is not spelling like in English! had to jab that one
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9587930].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Avocado Plugins
      Just look at the stats here - number don't lie. Stats — WordPress.com

      Says English: 71% so you tell me if it is a good idea haha

      You could give it a try I am not saying testing is not good but by the same token I would also say why make mistakes yourself if other people have tried and failed and that all of the data is pointing towards the opposite of what you are saying.

      Your decision but I wouldn't do it if I was you.
      Signature
      Let our lean, healthy and shredded WordPress Plugins make you more money... start here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9588220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author razorz18
    I guess it will depend..especially when it come to traffic, let say you have 10Millions people using your native language..its might be only 1% of the traffic volume you can get from English language user. Maybe you can easier rank with Google but generally its not worth if you think the blog to generate income. Despite that, you could be authority on you country and successful in offline instead. I would still go for English as you could get much more traffics unless your from China or India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9588250].message }}

Trending Topics