The Danger Of Thinking Big

39 replies
I understand that by saying what I'm saying, I'm bucking a lot of conventional wisdom as it relates to the self-help field. In all truth, I've been going through what I call a "deprogramming." That is -- I've been on a mission to unlearn most of the stuff that I learned during my time of studying the self-help field. I've already tackled the so-called Law of Attraction, now I'm gonna tell you why "thinking big" as they call it is actually detrimental. Why have I been on this mission? For two reasons. #1: Studying that foolishness did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't begin to see any results in my life until I let go of the self-help garbage and began to use a common sense approach. #2: When I drinking the kool-aid of the self-help field, I used to write a lot about the teachings of that particular field, so I feel obligated to correct some things.

The question that you may naturally have is: "What's wrong with thinking big? Surely, you have to think big in order to get to a higher place than you currently are." On one end, you're right but only half right. We've been taught by the motivational field for many years to set some big goal, to focus on it obsessively and seek ways to accomplish it. That sounds fine but haven't you noticed that a lot of people have bought into this stuff yet very few are actually successful? You see these people flooding social media timelines with motivational quotes and so on yet it's pretty doubtful that these people have accomplished anything except being able to quote verbatim popular motivational quotes. There's a reason for that. While these people may be thinking big, just as I was during my kool-aid drinking days, they're not thinking realistically. When I say thinking realistically, I'm not referring to the typical defeatist attitude that is so prevalent in our present society, I'm referring to the ability to apply objective analysis. You know, that "realistic" attitude that encourages conformity....I'm not referring to that.

To illustrate my point, I remember a conversation I was having with a few people about this very subject, that of thinking big. I mentioned how detrimental I think the whole idea is and one guy challenged me...because he obviously didn't understand what I was saying. My point was that (and the point of this article) -- it's perfectly okay to set a big goal but you won't get there unless you do it gradually by setting small goals.

For instance, let's say that you want to lose 30 lbs. Do you go from your current weight to -30 lbs.? Of course not, you do it one pound at a time. In your case, you may have to set a goal to lose 5 lbs. first, then 5 more lbs. and so forth. The reason being that it would be pretty difficult to see yourself going from where you currently are to where you want to be considering how big of a leap it is, but it is easier to see yourself as 5 lbs. lighter. Trying to jump from your current weight to losing 30 lbs. may be a daunting task, causing you to have very little belief and confidence which will lead to you eventually giving up.

The same goes for making money. If your goal is to reach a million dollars, it'd be pretty difficult to see yourself having made a million dollars if you're starting from almost the bottom. It's cool to have a goal to make a million but to get there, it'd make more sense to set smaller goals. For instance, why not go for $10,000 first? After reaching that goal, go for $100,000...and on it goes. If a person suffers from impatience and greed, then setting gradual goals as I've mentioned, will not appeal to that type of person. Instead, they'll continue to attempt to go from zero to a million, being continuously frustrated as they make little to no progress despite years having gone by.

You have to remember -- a big thing is nothing but a collection of little things. When thought of in that way, the idea of setting a bunch of small goals in order to reach a major goal makes a lot more sense. It's okay to think big, but you need to think small in-between. In other words, no more trying to walk a mile in one step.

As we all know, in order to accomplish anything, you must believe that you can and have the self- confidence to act accordingly. However, it's hard to have such confidence and belief when you're setting outrageous goals. I will reiterate -- it's much easier to get to a level of high belief by setting a smaller, more easily attainable goal and continuously building on each success. Before you know it, you will have reached the ultimate goal.
#big #danger #thinking
  • Profile picture of the author ashleydaniel
    Good post. Nothing can be reached in a single night. It needs a gradual improvement to make the stuff well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9661207].message }}
    • I agree Youngfinancier

      " but haven’t you noticed that a lot of people have bought into this stuff yet very few are actually successful? "

      have you noticed that some people that truly believe, say they had a

      miracle like experience?
      outside of themselves, in a way, that they accept as real enough, they can then tell others it's a fact???

      reminds me of a religious conversion phenomenon
      (don't mean to discredit people's having the above, but just providing my perspective)

      I never have.

      well said :

      " You have to remember — a big thing is nothing but a collection of little things. "
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9661454].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author talfighel
      Originally Posted by ashleydaniel View Post

      Good post. Nothing can be reached in a single night. It needs a gradual improvement to make the stuff well.
      Imagine if you are 40 years old and have been brainwashed since you were a kid that you can't succeed in life and that you should get a good education so that you get a good job. You can not read a book in your first week in business and change your mind set completely. It takes time.

      You need to train your brain in a new way and self talk is very important.

      That's why I recommend everyone who is in this position read the book:

      What to say when you talk to yourself by Dr. Shad Helmstetter.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670959].message }}
      • Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

        Imagine if you are 40 years old and have been brainwashed since you were a kid that you can't succeed in life and that you should get a good education so that you get a good job. You can not read a book in your first week in business and change your mind set completely. It takes time.

        You need to train your brain in a new way and self talk is very important.

        That's why I recommend everyone who is in this position read the book:

        What to say when you talk to yourself by Dr. Shad Helmstetter.
        self-talk so important!

        I ask myself :

        can I think big, but act with the 1st step?

        How do you eat the world's biggest pie??? 1 slice at a time!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    big is relative from where you are starting . and where you have been..

    at 40 unless you are a character in some feel good dreamy film..no matter how bad you want it it may be to late to become a football qb good enough to win a Superbowl.

    if your big thinking is so disconected from your current reality ..that it is just fantasy and dreams .. it can be counter productive.. or even escapism ..

    in any case i have my big thinking going on know ..after refining wxactally what i want and having scattered ideas for some time ..

    personally i prefer thinking awesome to thinking big ,,
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    see my basic mindset is preparing for what could be a 140 year life span..barring traumatic events that shorten that ..i was on a much short path up to a few years ago and have been changing habits and though patterns ..and practice regenerative health .

    currently i am 36 years old that is under half the current normal lifespan .

    a lot of the motivation to get rich or make a lot of money is to sve some to have when one can't earn money any more ..

    having a reason to get out of bed ..and something very productive to do . as well as eating a mostly plant based diet of food grown in healthy soil . are factors..in growing old while staying vital .

    a persons chances of becomming and staying wealthy improve that faster the get on the path to having a lifestlye that has those 4 factors

    you can get rich and have a lot of money..and ruin your health .. but you just end up handing it over to doctors .
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9662812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lowriskinc
    I think it takes a bit of both thinking big and literally worshiping small baby steps. Thinking big is great if you really, really believe it. If not, I think its good to picture what is the highest peak you can reach that you really believe in. Don't BS yourself. If you're dreaming about owning an NFL team, you're probably thinking too big. It's about the highest peak for YOU.

    Once you've identified that peak, chop up the stages to reaching that peak into make-able, achievable goals. Then make a plan for MAKING each goal. If the goal seems too tough, chop it up into pieces that will make it later. Baby Steps. Finally, get off your ass, take those baby steps fast, and make those GOALS! Reach the highest peak for YOU!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9666876].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I think big dreams are stumbling blocks for many IMers. If you look at successful offline independently owned companies you'll notice most of them are focused on ONE product line or filling the needs of ONE niche.

      They don't try to sell ski jackets and finish nails - they focus on what they are good at and they build a business around that.

      People online love to diss those with jobs or talk about IM dreams and 4 hr workweeks. It's chatter - static that can slow you down and stop you in your tracks.

      Focus on what you do well - produce products in an area you know well - write about subjects you understand or can explain. You don't need to do it all - you only need to do enough to get YOUR income flowing.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9666899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronrule
    With all due respect, what a load of crap.

    Your post implies you either don't understand the difference between "thinking big" and "being realistic", or are too much of an underachiever to set meaningful goals. Or maybe you're just confused between goals and milestones. There is nothing at all wrong with setting a goal of losing 30 lbs, or setting a goal of making $1 Million. The question isn't whether those are realistic or not, both are done all the time. It's whether YOUR PLAN is realistic or not.

    As someone who's done both (the weight loss and the financial), I can tell you that getting into an underachiever mindset is the WORST possible thing you can do. TIME and POOR PLANNING are your enemies. The numbers themselves are by no means unrealistic, but what's often unrealistic is your plan to getting there.

    Say you have a $1,000 product... if you can sell that product to 1,000 people, there's your $1 million. It's actually fairly easy to get 1,000 people to buy something, but what goes into creating and delivering that $1,000 product? If you're selling a $1,000 website that you have to build, and it takes 3 days to build it, then you can only realistically DELIVER 121 sites per year, so it will take you 8 years to make $1 million. Maybe you can cut that down by outsourcing the labor, but then you're also cutting the profits, so it will still take you quite a while to reach your goal under that model.

    But if it's a digital product that people actually want to buy, and you're just selling copies that people download, then it's entirely doable. You're only limited by your reach. If you know enough people in the space, or know enough marketers who have audiences in the space, then 1,000 sales is a very small number.

    See what I mean? How attainable your goals are isn't limited by how big you're thinking, but rather how realistic your path to REACHING that goal is. Maybe you'll never get there selling $1,000 websites, but you could get there selling other things. Especially in a 24 hour economy like the web; $1 million per year is only $114 per hour.

    And as for weight loss... as a former fat guy who lost 90 lbs in under a year, 30 lbs is nothing.

    The secret to discipline is remembering what you want.

    Instead of sitting around "wishing" I was thinner, or setting small goals, I set the big goal and I figured out what it would take to get there. It was entirely realistic and doable. Calories in, calories out, simple formula.

    Don't sell yourself short, man, just be realistic about what it takes to get there. And don't confuse the "dreamspeak" with a goal. That motivational crap about dreaming big and blah blah blah, it doesn't mean anything. Thinking big is great if the math supports it. It's not about you or what you've done (or haven't done yet), it's figuring out what has to BE done, then doing it.

    Don't plan small... planning small just gets you through the day. Plan big. Ask yourself "What do I have to DO to reach this number" and then focus on doing those things. If that's engaging marketers so you can build a network of people who will promote your product, then do it. If that's waking up at 5:00 AM and jogging and eating fewer calories in a day, then do it. Don't set small goals so you can pat yourself on the back when you accomplish very little ... set big goals so you're mad at yourself when you fail to meet them. Remember what you want.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9666958].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
      Originally Posted by ronrule View Post

      With all due respect, what a load of crap.

      Your post implies you either don't understand the difference between "thinking big" and "being realistic", or are too much of an underachiever to set meaningful goals. Or maybe you're just confused between goals and milestones. There is nothing at all wrong with setting a goal of losing 30 lbs, or setting a goal of making $1 Million. The question isn't whether those are realistic or not, both are done all the time. It's whether YOUR PLAN is realistic or not.

      As someone who's done both (the weight loss and the financial), I can tell you that getting into an underachiever mindset is the WORST possible thing you can do. TIME and POOR PLANNING are your enemies. The numbers themselves are by no means unrealistic, but what's often unrealistic is your plan to getting there.

      Say you have a $1,000 product... if you can sell that product to 1,000 people, there's your $1 million. It's actually fairly easy to get 1,000 people to buy something, but what goes into creating and delivering that $1,000 product? If you're selling a $1,000 website that you have to build, and it takes 3 days to build it, then you can only realistically DELIVER 121 sites per year, so it will take you 8 years to make $1 million. Maybe you can cut that down by outsourcing the labor, but then you're also cutting the profits, so it will still take you quite a while to reach your goal under that model.

      But if it's a digital product that people actually want to buy, and you're just selling copies that people download, then it's entirely doable. You're only limited by your reach. If you know enough people in the space, or know enough marketers who have audiences in the space, then 1,000 sales is a very small number.

      See what I mean? How attainable your goals are isn't limited by how big you're thinking, but rather how realistic your path to REACHING that goal is. Maybe you'll never get there selling $1,000 websites, but you could get there selling other things. Especially in a 24 hour economy like the web; $1 million per year is only $114 per hour.

      And as for weight loss... as a former fat guy who lost 90 lbs in under a year, 30 lbs is nothing.

      The secret to discipline is remembering what you want.

      Instead of sitting around "wishing" I was thinner, or setting small goals, I set the big goal and I figured out what it would take to get there. It was entirely realistic and doable. Calories in, calories out, simple formula.

      Don't sell yourself short, man, just be realistic about what it takes to get there. And don't confuse the "dreamspeak" with a goal. That motivational crap about dreaming big and blah blah blah, it doesn't mean anything. Thinking big is great if the math supports it. It's not about you or what you've done (or haven't done yet), it's figuring out what has to BE done, then doing it.

      Don't plan small... planning small just gets you through the day. Plan big. Ask yourself "What do I have to DO to reach this number" and then focus on doing those things. If that's engaging marketers so you can build a network of people who will promote your product, then do it. If that's waking up at 5:00 AM and jogging and eating fewer calories in a day, then do it. Don't set small goals so you can pat yourself on the back when you accomplish very little ... set big goals so you're mad at yourself when you fail to meet them. Remember what you want.
      *Yawns*
      Sure, dude.

      Also, I also lost 100+ lbs. myself and guess how I did it? 10 lbs. at a time. When I was trying to lose weight by thinking of going from where I was to 100 lbs. lighter, the task was too daunting to believe that I could do it. The same with anything else. Even financially, I went from having $2 in the bank to now making an average of $500-$1000 daily in the Futures Market. How'd I do that? By setting a goal to first see if I can make $100, after being successful doing that enough times, on to $200 and so forth. So I know what I'm talking about here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9667410].message }}
      • for a guy named,

        "YOUNGFINANCIER"

        it is hard to see that he is thinking too small.

        maybe the "operative" word here, and what wanted to be communicated,

        is the thinking part?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9667440].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ronrule
        Originally Posted by Young Financier View Post

        *Yawns*
        Sure, dude.

        Also, I also lost 100+ lbs. myself and guess how I did it? 10 lbs. at a time. When I was trying to lose weight by thinking of going from where I was to 100 lbs. lighter, the task was too daunting to believe that I could do it. The same with anything else. Even financially, I went from having $2 in the bank to now making an average of $500-$1000 daily in the Futures Market. How'd I do that? By setting a goal to first see if I can make $100, after being successful doing that enough times, on to $200 and so forth. So I know what I'm talking about here.
        Those are milestones, not goals, that's what I meant in the earlier post. Making $100 a day should never be a goal, long term or short term. It's a milestone on the PATH to a goal.

        In a way, maybe we are saying the same thing, but I think the approach is different. It seems you're saying the small goal should be the entire focus, then evaluate and make a new goal when you get there. I am saying make the big goal the plan all along - the goal is the end game. To reach it, break it up into milestones and attack them.

        I used a similar strategy to get out of debt years ago, you focus on the smallest debt, put all of your resources into paying it off, then move on to the next smallest debt until eventually you have nothing left to pay off. But the GOAL was always to pay off EVERYTHING, not just the first one. Each credit card, car, etc was a milestone along the path to the goal, not the goal itself.

        Either way, there's nothing wrong with dreaming big - good leaders don't aim for the next step, they aim for the big picture and then FOCUS on each step along the way individually, never losing site of the big picture.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9668776].message }}
        • Think big
          Act on the little things
          Feel your moving forward
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9668989].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jason Jacoby
            I know what you mean. Thinking big doesn't apply to anything. It should be one step at a time. Set mini goals that will help you towards achieving the big ones. If you think about the big picture all the time, chances are people will not get motivated because it seems too far and hard to reach.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670063].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
          Originally Posted by ronrule View Post

          Those are milestones, not goals, that's what I meant in the earlier post. Making $100 a day should never be a goal, long term or short term. It's a milestone on the PATH to a goal.

          In a way, maybe we are saying the same thing, but I think the approach is different. It seems you're saying the small goal should be the entire focus, then evaluate and make a new goal when you get there. I am saying make the big goal the plan all along - the goal is the end game. To reach it, break it up into milestones and attack them.

          I used a similar strategy to get out of debt years ago, you focus on the smallest debt, put all of your resources into paying it off, then move on to the next smallest debt until eventually you have nothing left to pay off. But the GOAL was always to pay off EVERYTHING, not just the first one. Each credit card, car, etc was a milestone along the path to the goal, not the goal itself.

          Either way, there's nothing wrong with dreaming big - good leaders don't aim for the next step, they aim for the big picture and then FOCUS on each step along the way individually, never losing site of the big picture.
          I never said the small goals should be the entire focus. I said that the small goals should lead up to the big goals. You don't teleport to a travel destination or take one huge leap, instead, you travel one mile at a time. If I want to travel from California to New York, do I not travel through neighboring states first and then the other states, or do I just set a goal to get to New York and overlook having to travel through these other places?

          I don't care about being right in this post, I care about making sense and telling others what has worked for me. That being said, I'm done debating it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670749].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ronrule
            Originally Posted by Young Financier View Post

            I never said the small goals should be the entire focus. I said that the small goals should lead up to the big goals. You don't teleport to a travel destination or take one huge leap, instead, you travel one mile at a time. If I want to travel from California to New York, do I not travel through neighboring states first and then the other states, or do I just set a goal to get to New York and overlook having to travel through these other places?

            I don't care about being right in this post, I care about making sense and telling others what has worked for me. That being said, I'm done debating it.
            In my mind there was never really a debate

            You actually made my point with this post...If you want to get from California to New York, of course you TRAVEL a mile at a time. But you PLANNED for New York. You didn't wake up and say "New York is too far, so forget about that. It would be great if one day I could just get to the California state line" and then get there and say "Look mommy, I did it!" - you dreamed of New York and then figured out how to get there. Everything in between is a milestone, not a goal.

            Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670765].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
              Originally Posted by ronrule View Post

              In my mind there was never really a debate

              You actually made my point with this post...If you want to get from California to New York, of course you TRAVEL a mile at a time. But you PLANNED for New York. You didn't wake up and say "New York is too far, so forget about that. It would be great if one day I could just get to the California state line" and then get there and say "Look mommy, I did it!" - you dreamed of New York and then figured out how to get there. Everything in between is a milestone, not a goal.

              Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
              Show me where I said to forget about the major goal and focus only on the smaller goal. That''s your problem...you flipped my words to make them mean what YOU wanted them to mean just so you can be the contrarian. Don't even bother because you can't show me that.

              People like you, I know your kind. Y'all like to debate and cause ruckus over silly things just to satisfy your own ego. Like in this case, you're looking for conflict I guess to impress others on here, by pretending that you don't understand what is being said and trying to come at me for that reason. You've proven this because you've said the same thing I said and trying to make it seem like you're saying something different. Even another poster pointed out that you're saying the same thing I said. Anyone here with half a brain knows what I was saying but YOU have purposely tried to flip my words around for your own reasons. You can take this foolishness of yours elsewhere.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9671632].message }}
              • I re-read Younffinancier's OP

                made sense to me.

                And, it was concise, experential (his experience), and showed humility.

                as he states here :

                it’s much easier to get to a level of high belief by setting a smaller, more easily attainable goal and continuously building on each success. Before you know it, you will have reached the ultimate goal.

                I would say if anyone has more successful "small victories" (I believe this is Stephen Covey's term),

                it makes sense that your Big Thing's are then perceived

                with a higher chance of actualization.

                A snowball starts with 1 microscopic snowflake
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9671745].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ronrule
                Originally Posted by Young Financier View Post

                Show me where I said to forget about the major goal and focus only on the smaller goal. That''s your problem...you flipped my words to make them mean what YOU wanted them to mean just so you can be the contrarian. Don't even bother because you can't show me that.

                People like you, I know your kind. Y'all like to debate and cause ruckus over silly things just to satisfy your own ego. Like in this case, you're looking for conflict I guess to impress others on here, by pretending that you don't understand what is being said and trying to come at me for that reason. You've proven this because you've said the same thing I said and trying to make it seem like you're saying something different. Even another poster pointed out that you're saying the same thing I said. Anyone here with half a brain knows what I was saying but YOU have purposely tried to flip my words around for your own reasons. You can take this foolishness of yours elsewhere.
                If we're saying the same thing, then why are you arguing?

                Your post title is "The Danger Of Thinking Big" and your advice is to stop thinking big and start thinking small. After reading the original post again, I don't think we're saying the same thing at all. If we were saying the same thing, you wouldn't be telling people not to think big, you would be telling them to still think big but to take baby steps to get there. That's a perfectly reasonable approach... but it's not the one you took. Your advice was to shelve your big ideas and focus on the little ones, and that's bad advice. You can be mad at me for being the first one to call you out on it if it makes you feel better though.
                Signature
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675574].message }}
                • I am done with this thread.

                  maybe this sub forum altogether


                  best wishes to all
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jakedenver
      Originally Posted by ronrule View Post

      With all due respect, what a load of crap.

      Your post implies you either don't understand the difference between "thinking big" and "being realistic", or are too much of an underachiever to set meaningful goals. Or maybe you're just confused between goals and milestones. There is nothing at all wrong with setting a goal of losing 30 lbs, or setting a goal of making $1 Million. The question isn't whether those are realistic or not, both are done all the time. It's whether YOUR PLAN is realistic or not.

      As someone who's done both (the weight loss and the financial), I can tell you that getting into an underachiever mindset is the WORST possible thing you can do. TIME and POOR PLANNING are your enemies. The numbers themselves are by no means unrealistic, but what's often unrealistic is your plan to getting there.

      Say you have a $1,000 product... if you can sell that product to 1,000 people, there's your $1 million. It's actually fairly easy to get 1,000 people to buy something, but what goes into creating and delivering that $1,000 product? If you're selling a $1,000 website that you have to build, and it takes 3 days to build it, then you can only realistically DELIVER 121 sites per year, so it will take you 8 years to make $1 million. Maybe you can cut that down by outsourcing the labor, but then you're also cutting the profits, so it will still take you quite a while to reach your goal under that model.

      But if it's a digital product that people actually want to buy, and you're just selling copies that people download, then it's entirely doable. You're only limited by your reach. If you know enough people in the space, or know enough marketers who have audiences in the space, then 1,000 sales is a very small number.

      See what I mean? How attainable your goals are isn't limited by how big you're thinking, but rather how realistic your path to REACHING that goal is. Maybe you'll never get there selling $1,000 websites, but you could get there selling other things. Especially in a 24 hour economy like the web; $1 million per year is only $114 per hour.

      And as for weight loss... as a former fat guy who lost 90 lbs in under a year, 30 lbs is nothing.

      The secret to discipline is remembering what you want.

      Instead of sitting around "wishing" I was thinner, or setting small goals, I set the big goal and I figured out what it would take to get there. It was entirely realistic and doable. Calories in, calories out, simple formula.

      Don't sell yourself short, man, just be realistic about what it takes to get there. And don't confuse the "dreamspeak" with a goal. That motivational crap about dreaming big and blah blah blah, it doesn't mean anything. Thinking big is great if the math supports it. It's not about you or what you've done (or haven't done yet), it's figuring out what has to BE done, then doing it.

      Don't plan small... planning small just gets you through the day. Plan big. Ask yourself "What do I have to DO to reach this number" and then focus on doing those things. If that's engaging marketers so you can build a network of people who will promote your product, then do it. If that's waking up at 5:00 AM and jogging and eating fewer calories in a day, then do it. Don't set small goals so you can pat yourself on the back when you accomplish very little ... set big goals so you're mad at yourself when you fail to meet them. Remember what you want.
      This is the kind of energy I like to be around.

      Everyone I know worth over seven figures is like this. One old man I've known my whole life got there against hundreds of people like this guy. They called him crazy in 50, 60, 70, and then they started to really pile it on in the 80s... then the oil contractors found his land in the 90s. 12 to 20 producing wells for over a decade. But he was crazy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9670243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    i9nteresting ..

    reading both ron and young finacier .. they are saying the same thing while disagreeing with each other..or trying to make it look like that ..

    now ron so you have seen no one get stuck in the thinking big part and then not follow it up with a plan .. they just think big and dream big.. and stop there .

    my view of the op was that ..the danger was of many people getting stuck in the big thinking and never breaking it down into smalller goals that could produce the big goal
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9667733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Jenkins
      Banned
      I agree with the OP. It's my experience that thinking huge can stifle you and make you feel like a failure even if you achieve quite a lot.

      Say a person sets out to make $100 million. But in the end they only make it to $5 million. They would feel like a loser if they still held the original goal as their model of success.

      I say get a basic feeling of where you'd like to be ideally. Then, small chunk it down to bite size pieces and get going. It's the way that works most often for most people from what I've seen.

      Bill
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9668110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      i9nteresting ..

      reading both ron and young finacier .. they are saying the same thing while disagreeing with each other..or trying to make it look like that ..

      now ron so you have seen no one get stuck in the thinking big part and then not follow it up with a plan .. they just think big and dream big.. and stop there .

      my view of the op was that ..the danger was of many people getting stuck in the big thinking and never breaking it down into smalller goals that could produce the big goal
      That's all I'm saying.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9668698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    I read the adventures of Temujin, the friendly mongol leader as inspiration.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9671816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
    I think you may have missed the "magic" of thinking big. It's not to be unrealistic with your goals which (if I understand you correctly) is where you think the danger lies (being "unrealistic"). No one tries to go from zero to a million so your argument isn't really valid.

    It's about thinking differently to achieve your goals. If you "really" would be happy with $100,000 but you set a plan to make $1,000,000 your thinking will shift into another level of power. Your actions will be bigger, your decisions will be more powerful and your strides will be greater so even though you may not reach your $1,000,000 goal you will probably easily surpass your $100,000 goal.

    I use big thinking all the time and it helps me think of nigger ways to achieve might goals. I know to be satisfied with $100,000 but I also know that aiming for $1,000,000 will get me there much faster. That's why it's healthier and more productive to think big than to think of smaller "more achievable" goals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9672575].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
      Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post

      I think you may have missed the "magic" of thinking big. It's not to be unrealistic with your goals which (if I understand you correctly) is where you think the danger lies (being "unrealistic"). No one tries to go from zero to a million so your argument isn't really valid.

      It's about thinking differently to achieve your goals. If you "really" would be happy with $100,000 but you set a plan to make $1,000,000 your thinking will shift into another level of power. Your actions will be bigger, your decisions will be more powerful and your strides will be greater so even though you may not reach your $1,000,000 goal you will probably easily surpass your $100,000 goal.

      I use big thinking all the time and it helps me think of nigger ways to achieve might goals. I know to be satisfied with $100,000 but I also know that aiming for $1,000,000 will get me there much faster. That's why it's healthier and more productive to think big than to think of smaller "more achievable" goals.
      Another case of someone playing dumb and denying the obvious truth just to play devil's advocate. LOL, I'm done with this section.

      A bunch of broke, new-age thinking people who just wanna debate meaningless things with someone who's way ahead of them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9672585].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
        Originally Posted by Young Financier View Post

        Another case of someone playing dumb and denying the obvious truth just to play devil's advocate. LOL, I'm done with this section.

        A bunch of broke, new-age thinking people who just wanna debate meaningless things with someone who's way ahead of them.
        Really? You're ahead of us? That's a laugh. It's hilarious that what you just accused us of doing is EXACTLY what you're trying to...lol how can you not see that? By calling us all broke you're clearly showing how hot headed and uninformed you are. You don't know us, you have no idea how much money any of us have so you're really showing your immaturity and there but if you want to start calling people who disagree with you names I'll play...

        Perhaps it's just time you grew up, pulled your head out of your arse and faced the fact that some of us are a bit wiser than you. If you're not the pot calling the kettle black...lol Look at your dumb attempt to create controversy with your ill thought out post trying to twist a reality into question.

        Perhaps the best thing you've said in this thread is that you're leaving. Don't slam the door on your way out. Thanks for the laugh though. Perhaps when you're older and have something real to say we might not call you out on your childish attempt at trying to be smarter. I'm sure the next forum you'll try to troll will tell you the same thing until you stop trying to be clever and actually think before you speak. You obviously have no experience with the power of thinking big and it's effects. I have real experience and the bigger I think the further I go so you're "theory" is wrong. If you don't like to hear that then don't pull your sword out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9672590].message }}
        • to post reply's that don't forward a discussion is not good.

          why? make a choice to search for truth or to be right

          If you want to be right, your not thinking big, you have a big ego.

          I come here to learn,

          but I get pontifications (to speak in a pompous or dogmatic manner)

          and boilerplated Lines, like "life is like a box of chocolates"

          do other members know what other members in other forums think of this 1? eye rolls

          I may be gone too. IMO- we need a place where new age meets reality

          try this : 2 goals, 2 people = 1 to make 1000.00 and another to make 100,000.00

          if you make 1,000.00 your momentum, confidence, and belief are huge!
          and you new position makes another 1,000.00, 20,00.00, 100,000.00 even better (sky is the limit).

          If you shoot for 100,000.00, while not making any money yet your above emotions aren't as strong.

          that seems to me to be Real and Self-Evident
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9672930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    young financier .. people are going to disagree with your op .. based on how you titled it .

    the tone can easily be taen as you saying..there are dangers to thinking big so don't do it ,

    big thinking..or thinking of the bigger picture is critical ..to putting all these little goals into perspective..

    most people are in a state of thinking that is either day to day or week to week..in a subsistence pattern of thinking ..even the guy who earns a million a year ..as a banker ..if he loses that income his lifestyle will fall off dramatically ....

    but most people have only a few days of food ..and if they lose power for a few days they will have no way of heating their home..and most of the food they do have would go bad

    there are people who big thinking would not work oin..because they are just searching for a more comfortable life that is just a little more better than the one they have..and it would take time to exapnd their thinking .

    when there are a minority of people who the general thinking off the masses never really fit with..and think well beyond it ..the naturally big thinkers who sometime where only trained to think small but ..it was easy to shake off that training compared ..

    the truth is the people who do think big and achieve things..understand the dangers of not thinking big enough ..

    the entire race of humanity ..will destry the planet we live on if we don't change the way we do things from the most basic of things we do to the most advanced ..frankly because the lower half of the population is in a day to day week to week survival mode ..and the multinational corporations who run most of the government on the planet are in short term quartly profits mode ..

    with big thinking ..you need to be able to figure out the smaller things to build up to the big goal..

    but without big thinking or a bigger picture to work in..the 1oo dollars a day..or 1000 dollars a day.. 1 pound at a time ..all those smaller goal are actions that make it look like you are getting somewhere .

    is it new age thinking that bill gate partook in.. 30 -40 years ago he saw a computer in at least every home..and microsoft softare on most of those computers .

    or donald trump want the biggest and the best building he can build ..
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9673438].message }}
    • Goal setting involves establishing specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timed


      According to Dr. Carol Dweck of Stanford University,

      if you set out to do something with the attitude that the results are purely a way to prove you have talent (as opposed to skills developed on the way to your goal), you're more likely to put off working on that project, and you won't work as well. You'll probably interpret all minor setbacks on your way to achieving your desired outcome as indicators that you don't have the talent you wanted to display.

      and if your goals are too big, you can set up procrastination.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9673912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      young financier ... people are going to disagree with your op ... based on how you titled it.

      the tone can easily be taken as you saying ... there are dangers to thinking big so don't do it.
      That's where you went wrong with your post Young Financier. Then, instead of responding (in a positive way) you reacted negatively.

      You're better than that. : )

      P.S.
      I hope you don't mind me giving you some feedback. If you do, just PM me and I'll delete this post.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9674871].message }}
      • this is the "mind warrior" sub-forum


        spend less time being offended, or reacting to someones OP headline.

        think BIGGER, by handling it Better.


        It would be easy for the OP to view these reply's as weak and Un-Big

        for example - people protest this viewpoint because they know, deep down their

        Big Dreams are too far out of reach?

        For Example, should I stop thinking of being a Millionaire, and think bigger...

        a Trillionaire? Gazillianaire???


        latest research suggests, wealth alone doesn’t provide any guarantee of a good life. What matters a lot more than a big income is how people spend it.

        Experiences Are Worth More we think (like the Process and Small steps towards goals)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675290].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author heavysm
          The Danger Of Thinking Big...














          Is that you might actually get everything you set your mind to
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675443].message }}
          • notice Youngfinancier has not come back to thread?

            is it better to be right or learn and grow?

            are we happy he is gone? he's just stupid and were right???

            where is the middle-ground?

            rely on boilerplate phrases and sayings?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675457].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ronrule
              Originally Posted by kirbymarketingconcierge View Post

              notice Youngfinancier has not come back to thread?

              is it better to be right or learn and grow?

              are we happy he is gone? he's just stupid and were right???

              where is the middle-ground?

              rely on boilerplate phrases and sayings?
              He's young, he doesn't see the path. I didn't either when I was in my 20's. We're all composed of the sum of our own experiences ... frankly, that's why I'm here now. I see a lot of people who made the same mistakes I made that I can help avoid them, and I see a lot of people who are light years ahead of where I am right now that I can learn from. There are times when you should talk, and times when you should listen. He's at a point where he should be doing more listening.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9675630].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                In my experience the "self help/personal development" field is there to empower people. It's not something that people need to "deprogram" themselves of. (Unless it's not working for them.)

                However even then that doesn't mean the advice is "bad" for everyone.
                Signature
                "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9676100].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author discrat
                  Of course you need to think Big in everything you pursue. Including business and more specifically the IM business.

                  You have smaller benchmarks that you mark off your List as you go.

                  But have a Plan and stick with it and ALWAYS have a long term Goal.

                  And you should identify that from the very beginning.

                  Of course, a lot of people get into this business and their Goal(s) change as they experience some of the nuances involved.

                  And this can be perfectly natural.

                  But do not hesitate in reevaluating your progress and establishing another long term goal as you continue your Path


                  - Robert Andrew
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9676147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roy Cohen
    This is an interesting post.

    We always do need to have an end goal. That one big goal we are heading toward.

    This is what I do: I set the big goal, for example, lose 50 lbs, or pay of $50,000 debt, or make 1 million dollars. Then, make a REALISTIC deadline. From there, I take that goal and write down ALL the ways that achieving this is possible. Find and use what would be the most effective in attaining the goal. Turn these methods into actual realistic step-by-step directions into achieving the big goal.

    Let's take the goal of losing 50 lbs in one year. We would write down the methods. Eat less carbs, eat more vegetables and fruits, go to the gym at least one hour a day 4-5 days a week, etc, etc... If we do the math we divide 50 lbs by 52 weeks in a year comes out to less than a lb a week to lose to reach the goal. Only .96 of a lb to lose!

    So now we know what our final goal/outcome is. We know how long it will take us. We have the steps to act on in order to reach the goal. Also, we know if we are on track because of our previous goal setting.

    Now all you have to do is take the actions and set to reach whatever it is that you set out to achieve. We must remember that even baby steps are steps forward but what will keep you going is the final target and the reason to get there.

    Fly high with your success,

    Roy Cohen
    Signature

    I love to share my knowledge with the world to help people have freedom and turn their dreams into reality.

    Visit my website *FREE Report* 7 Techniques to SKYROCKET success: www.flyhighsuccess.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9674288].message }}

Trending Topics