Myth: Money Can't Buy Happiness

58 replies
I'm not 100% certain however I'm guessing that "poor" people like saying the aforementioned phrase to justify that fact that they're not "wealthy." In any case, it's a complete myth IMO.

For instance:

If you could pay your Children’s college tuition, wouldn't that make you happy?
If you could support your favourite charities, wouldn't that make you happy?
If you could set up a Foundation that empowers thousands of people, wouldn't that make you happy?
If you could buy your dream car and dream house, wouldn't that make you happy?
If you could support your loved ones, wouldn’t that make you happy?

So go out and make your fortune. : ) (Because what you can do with your money can indeed make you happy.)
#buy #happiness #money #myth
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Lee
    Many people don't want to become rich because they're afraid that they will become greedy or arrogant, which is a false perception.

    Money only magnifies your traits. If you're greedy in nature, then you will become more greedy. But if you're generous or helpful in nature, then it can make you more generous or helpful/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Interesting point. Thanks Michael. : )

      Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post

      Many people don't want to become rich because they're afraid that they will become greedy or arrogant.
      Yeah. That's something to be mindful of along the journey. (Humility is important to me.)
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736443].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sanjaysharma
        I think this video give you better answer for your question.


        Sanjay Sharma
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736574].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
          Love it. : ) (Some of it put a big smile on my face.) Thank You for posting that Sanjay.
          Signature
          "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736588].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author King Manu
      Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post

      Many people don't want to become rich because they're afraid that they will become greedy or arrogant, which is a false perception.

      Money only magnifies your traits. If you're greedy in nature, then you will become more greedy. But if you're generous or helpful in nature, then it can make you more generous or helpful/
      I couldn't agree more. Money indeed means power and freedom, the way you use that power can turn evil. But can also turn good, it's just a way your soul and heart manifest afterwards.
      Some people are weak, i don't have nothing with them but that's just what i think. And they are afraid for this sense of power that you can have, the fact that you can make your own destiny and fulfill every wish and desire, and make everyone around you happy and stuff like that. They are afraid, so they start to say money is evil. Really? How many rich people dedicate their lifes helping others? Donating? Charities? A lot ! And a lot of them started as poor. So they decided to make a change in the world.
      If you focus on negative, that's where your life redirect also.
      The good and the bad are always available in the world and in your heart. Which one do you choose it matters not of how much financial power do you have. Cheers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9764375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RachelTravels
    Money does not MAKE you happy, but it can certainly afford you the things and experiences that make you happy!
    Money is not evil, the LOVE (worshipping it) is evil.
    Signature
    Journey On,

    ~ Rach
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9736744].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      I think the thought is incomplete. It's more accurate to say ...
      "Money Can't Buy You Lasting Happiness By Itself".

      In many cases it can buy you temporary happiness, but you need another (spending) fix to maintain it. Much like when a child excitedly gets a Christmas present, but a few weeks or days later the thrill is gone.

      I'd even venture to say most people don't really like money, but the 'stuff' they can get with it. (Mostly stuff that immediately depreciates the second they buy it).

      I say most people don't like money for the following reasons:
      • Most don't save it!
      • Most don't invest it so it grows!
      -and-
      • Most don't educate themselves on it so they can preserve it.
      No!
      What's the first thing most people do when they get it ... get rid of it (spend it)
      Many even have the nerve to try to get rid of money "before" they actually get it - with credit.

      Something to ponder. People like stuff, they don't really like money. When you look at it from that angle the saying has a thread of truth. But your point is also valid, it's just a matter of perception in the end.

      But you're right, I think the saying (or incomplete version as I stated above) is kept alive by people to make them feel better for not having enough money.

      If money can't buy happiness, poverty certainly can't. So, the saying is kinda stupid in itself.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SDsurfer
    This thread reminded me of this--

    I once had a friend in college who told me not to set up a job interview for her at the bar I was working at because 'if she made that kind of money, then she'd want to spend it.' HUH? I still think of how strange of a sentiment that was. That was her justification for being lazy and not wanting to work. Now, she lives off the government collecting disability for her 'anxiety' issues.

    Money alone cannot make you happy, but it's not the enemy!
    Signature
    Internet Marketing Professional because I just want to SURF. http://32solo.co/warrior
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9737818].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
      @Jonathon -- I like your point of view on this, because it points to a much deeper issue. Most people do not understand money. Here are some ideas about money -- not so much to read, but to ponder and think about (especially for those who get caught up with different aspects of money).
      • Happiness should come from inside -- not because of money or what it can buy, but because that is who you are -- happy for no reason
      • Money is an illusion. It is only a symbol of value, a medium for exchange
      • People will benefit more from what you do for them rather than what you buy for them

      All of the things you mentioned are great things to buy for people and can definitely bring great joy. But, greater joy can be found in giving your time and attention to a person. A caring, thoughtful word; playing a game with a child, etc. These things are much more valuable and produce much more happiness.

      Having said that, I do believe that each person should begin on a path to become wealthy. To be able to help many people and also enjoy your own life is a worthy goal and I think everyone deserves that. The important thing is to not become greedy along the way or lose sight of why you want to accumulate wealth.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9740006].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Great post. Thanks rbarnhart1.

        Originally Posted by rbarnhart1 View Post

        • Happiness should come from inside -- not because of money or what it can buy, but because that is who you are -- happy for no reason
        • Money is an illusion. It is only a symbol of value, a medium for exchange
        • People will benefit more from what you do for them rather than what you buy for them
        Yep. I agree with all of those. : )

        Something else that I'd add is that I think part of being happy (just because) is being grateful for all your "blessings." (Really, there's so much to be grateful for ...) And, the amazing thing about being happy is that you can share it with other people.
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9740710].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
        Originally Posted by rbarnhart1 View Post

        @Jonathon -- I like your point of view on this, because it points to a much deeper issue. Most people do not understand money. Here are some ideas about money -- not so much to read, but to ponder and think about (especially for those who get caught up with different aspects of money).
        • Happiness should come from inside -- not because of money or what it can buy, but because that is who you are -- happy for no reason
        • Money is an illusion. It is only a symbol of value, a medium for exchange
        • People will benefit more from what you do for them rather than what you buy for them

        All of the things you mentioned are great things to buy for people and can definitely bring great joy. But, greater joy can be found in giving your time and attention to a person. A caring, thoughtful word; playing a game with a child, etc. These things are much more valuable and produce much more happiness.

        Having said that, I do believe that each person should begin on a path to become wealthy. To be able to help many people and also enjoy your own life is a worthy goal and I think everyone deserves that. The important thing is to not become greedy along the way or lose sight of why you want to accumulate wealth.

        Well said! I agree. Money is nice but does not produce actual
        long-term happiness. It can be very nice if used correctly.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    say you had 50 thousand to spend ..not invest ..not give to charity,,, spend ..

    how many different ways can you spend it that may make you happy .. for a time ..

    say your car broke down and you couldn't get the 500 dollars or 1000 dollars from anywhere to fix it .. and had no other way to work..

    how happy would you be ..

    it is really easy to eat the anti wealth programming the rich and privleged have fed the poor for 500 years ..and yes a lot of it does come from the rich and privleged training the underclasses to stay the underclasses . and to keep each other from trying to climb out of the underclasses .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9741395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
      Something else that I'd add is that I think part of being happy (just because) is being grateful for all your "blessings." (Really, there's so much to be grateful for ...) And, the amazing thing about being happy is that you can share it with other people.
      Jonathan, you are so right. That is a great way to live.

      @Odahh: I have a slightly different view on this. Hopefully this will be helpful. First, in both of the situations that you describe, money or the lack of it was not the cause of the situation. The person caused it because of the situation they created for themselves.To put money as the cause is to misunderstand money.

      So, point number one is that every person is responsible for where they are in life and the situations they deal with. A person is where they are because of all of the choices they have made up to now. To create a different reality requires a different type of thinking, decisions, and behavior.

      Point two, I have never received "how to be poor" training from any wealthy person. In fact, I managed that on my own very well with out their help. Which leads me back to point one -- if a person is poor it is because of a choice they made (not a choice to be poor, but a choice to take the actions of a poor person).

      Even if there were some group of people who was intentionally feeding "poorness" to us, there is absolutely no requirement to listen to such a group of people. We all have the ability to choose and therefore we have the ability to step up and improve our situation (even to the point of being wealthy).

      The average wealthy person is kind, generous, and helpful. Many of them however are also jaded because of societies expectations. Generosity is a choice and when it is turned into an expectation or a mandate, those who can give will be less inclined to do so.

      It's a viscous cycle - and only society can decide when and how that cycle will end -- when they choose responsibility over blame. The only way to become wealthy is to develop wealth consciousness -- which means to think like a wealthy person and take the actions of a wealthy person.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9741674].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by rbarnhart1 View Post

        Jonathan, you are so right. That is a great way to live.

        @Odahh: I have a slightly different view on this. Hopefully this will be helpful. First, in both of the situations that you describe, money or the lack of it was not the cause of the situation. The person caused it because of the situation they created for themselves.To put money as the cause is to misunderstand money.

        So, point number one is that every person is responsible for where they are in life and the situations they deal with. A person is where they are because of all of the choices they have made up to now. To create a different reality requires a different type of thinking, decisions, and behavior.

        .
        oh hell i was just puting an example out there ..

        so tell me what makes someone responsible for the things that happen to them ..

        are they taking completly random actions every second .. or are they acting from a set of beliefs and conditiong that has come from many sources their entire life .. and which those sources got from somewhere else ..

        so that person is creating the siruation they are in based on how they have been trained or conditioned ..

        the role of responsibility come into play ..when a person figures out they have the power to alter ..change and condition themselves to have the lives they want .

        but where that starts and how to get it to stick..is to understand where the faulty conditioning came from .. the who and the when..

        see the wealthy people you meet now learned how to recondition themselves and are willing to help others ..the royalty and nobility of a few hundred years ago..where happy the poor stayed poor ..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742021].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          oh hell i was just puting an example out there ..

          so tell me what makes someone responsible for the things that happen to them ..
          Odahh...I apologize if it seemed like I was criticizing your position and examples. That was not my intention. What I posted is not directed at you personally. There are many people in the world who operate from the set of assumptions that you posted -- and that is the reason for their problems. So, I was just sharing the other side of that, to show a better way.

          What makes someone responsible is their choices and actions, which stem directly from their beliefs and thinking.

          so that person is creating the siruation they are in based on how they have been trained or conditioned ..
          Yes, that is true. But, that does not relieve an individual from the responsibility. They can blame their parents, their teachers, and society if they want to, but it isn't very productive. And, it won't change the actual problem.

          Accepting responsibility is the first step. New thinking is the next step.

          but where that starts and how to get it to stick..is to understand where the faulty conditioning came from .. the who and the when..
          Absolutely agree with you.

          see the wealthy people you meet now learned how to recondition themselves and are willing to help others ..the royalty and nobility of a few hundred years ago..where happy the poor stayed poor ..
          Yes, exactly. And this is the main point. That was then, this is now. Perhaps that is the root of the whole concept that rich people are evil and it just sort of trickles down through the generations. But, today, we can choose. We can move forward.

          The reality is, many people live in that kind of thinking: "rich people are evil"; "we are oppressed by the rich"; "the wealthy are conditioning everyone else to be poor". "the wealthy should pay their fair share". etc.

          Please don't take any of this personally -- I'm just sharing ideas and trying to show better ways to think.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    exactly..many people thing that way..but the reality of that type of thinking is either poverty ..or a distorted mindset when you gain wealth ..to then help the poor but in way that just support them in their poverty and do not help them get out of poverty ,,

    yes people are in the states they are in because of the belief system and thinking and actions they take but most people get those system dumped in their head and don't know they can do anything about them..because they are subject to environment and stimuli that constantly bombard them with reinforcment for the poor beliefs . that are keeping them poor .

    when a majority of people think this way.. or you have a large number of people trained to be poor then you get the majority trained to be middle class .. so you have 90 percent of the population with ingrained anti wealth beliefs ..

    and the further down a person is the more difficult it is to develop a new mindset as you are surrounded by poor people
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742429].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
      It's definitely a viscous cycle and can be very hard to overcome. It perpetuates generation after generation also. It's a major problem....but also something that can be overcome if we can reach enough people with the right message.

      It will take a collective effort from many people to solve the problem.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742458].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by rbarnhart1 View Post

        It's definitely a viscous cycle and can be very hard to overcome. It perpetuates generation after generation also. It's a major problem....but also something that can be overcome if we can reach enough people with the right message.

        It will take a collective effort from many people to solve the problem.
        well we are at that point the cycle breaks because the programin and conditioning ..of the masses is no longer effective for the world we are in..and people are still being conditioned for a world that is going away ..

        the best way to recondition yourself or what has worked best for me..is to look for how my individual actions can best serve the collective ..while taking care of my need and me enjoying what i do.

        up to know in the history of human people where generally foerced into role depending on where and to whome they where born.. now it is in a growing number of people hands to find their own path..because there is no pre made path they can take ..

        the best we can do at this point is to find that place for us and serve as an example for those others who are at the point of searching .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742550].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
          Well said Odahh. It's the ones who are searching that deserve the help and support. I remember when I was younger, struggling to provide for my family. There was very little help (at least, that was my perception -- perhaps there was help available, but I didn't know where to find it). Many people are in this situation.

          One of my goals is to be able to help as many people as I can -- not just by donating money (although that is part of it), but also by finding ways to solve problems.

          Check out this video -- this is similar to how I would like to help people:

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742637].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
            [QUOTE=rbarnhart1;9742637]Well said Odahh. It's the ones who are searching that deserve the help and support. I remember when I was younger, struggling to provide for my family. There was very little help (at least, that was my perception -- perhaps there was help available, but I didn't know where to find it). Many people are in this situation.

            One of my goals is to be able to help as many people as I can -- not just by donating money (although that is part of it), but also by finding ways to solve problems.

            Check out this video -- this is similar to how I would like to help people:

            /QUOTE]

            Very nice! Great attitude!
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9742731].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh
            Originally Posted by rbarnhart1 View Post

            Well said Odahh. It's the ones who are searching that deserve the help and support. I remember when I was younger, struggling to provide for my family. There was very little help (at least, that was my perception -- perhaps there was help available, but I didn't know where to find it). Many people are in this situation.

            One of my goals is to be able to help as many people as I can -- not just by donating money (although that is part of it), but also by finding ways to solve problems.

            Check out this video -- this is similar to how I would like to help people:

            One Stitch Closer: Veronika empowers other women - YouTube
            most of the help that is available today ..is not really geared to get people where they can support themselves quicker ..but more geared to creat dependence on the help ..

            there are two bible quotes..god helps those who help themselves ..and teach a man to fish instead of giving him a fish ..

            the best ..probably most enjoyable way to help as many people as you can..is to help them buy teaching those willing to learn how to better support themselves ..

            as charity which just set up a system that give out a fish a day..might make the person giveing the fish feel good about themselves but it has negative effects on the reciever ..who becomes dependent
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743225].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author rbarnhart1
              Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

              most of the help that is available today ..is not really geared to get people where they can support themselves quicker ..but more geared to creat dependence on the help ..

              there are two bible quotes..god helps those who help themselves ..and teach a man to fish instead of giving him a fish ..

              the best ..probably most enjoyable way to help as many people as you can..is to help them buy teaching those willing to learn how to better support themselves ..

              as charity which just set up a system that give out a fish a day..might make the person giveing the fish feel good about themselves but it has negative effects on the reciever ..who becomes dependent
              That is an awesome point...and I completely agree with that. I don't want to setup dependency at all. Right now, I'm working with someone on a project to help military members transition back into civilian life. This is a program that helps veterans develop new job skills and find employment. There is another component to help reduce the suicide rate of veterans (I think the number is like 22 per day right now). So, I'm all about providing real value.

              I am glad that you brought this up, though. When I start doing donations in 2015 and beyond, I want to make sure that I am not supporting something that creates dependency. Thanks for sharing that.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9745423].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
                Many different people have many different ideas on what happiness is so I don't believe that the saying can be proven to be a myth or not a myth, but whether it is true or not in your own life.

                There are many people who were born into money and are the most bigoted, selfish, mean and miserable people on earth. Why is that? Because their parents showered them with gifts and not their time; not their love. Money cannot buy love.

                Love conquers all, love covers a multitude of sins. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

                Whether or not you have money, you will be happy when you have real love.

                Real love doesn't care about body type, model-like looks or wallet size. It only cares about what's on the inside.

                There are many types of real love and all of them trump money, in my humble opinion anyway.


                Terra
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746502].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                  Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

                  Love conquers all, love covers a multitude of sins. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

                  [...]

                  There are many types of real love and all of them trump money, in my humble opinion anyway.
                  Love it. : ) Thanks Terra.

                  P.S. Have a wonderful Christmas.
                  : )
                  Signature
                  "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746551].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
                    Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                    Love it. : ) Thanks Terra.

                    P.S. Have a wonderful Christmas.
                    : )
                    You're welcome, Jonathan. And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!


                    Terra
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746565].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
                  Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

                  Many different people have many different ideas on what happiness is so I don't believe that the saying can be proven to be a myth or not a myth, but whether it is true or not in your own life.

                  There are many people who were born into money and are the most bigoted, selfish, mean and miserable people on earth. Why is that? Because their parents showered them with gifts and not their time; not their love. Money cannot buy love.

                  Love conquers all, love covers a multitude of sins. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

                  Whether or not you have money, you will be happy when you have real love.

                  Real love doesn't care about body type, model-like looks or wallet size. It only cares about what's on the inside.

                  There are many types of real love and all of them trump money, in my humble opinion anyway.


                  Terra

                  Well said!
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
    I agree. Money can't buy happiness is a phrase used mostly by those who don't have any money or who have decided to live an average middle class life, instead of striving for financial freedom.

    Now, money itself can't buy happiness, but the things you're able to do with money can buy happiness.

    There are so many great things one can do with money. Not only will you be able to take care of yourself financially, but you will be able to help your family and friends. You can donate money to charities, invest in future technology, and focus on making the world a better place.

    When you're broke, most of your focus is on taking care of your own finances. If you're struggling to take care of yourself, how can you help others?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9743742].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
      Originally Posted by tvon View Post

      I agree. Money can't buy happiness is a phrase used mostly by those who don't have any money or who have decided to live an average middle class life, instead of striving for financial freedom.

      Now, money itself can't buy happiness, but the things you're able to do with money can buy happiness.
      But, is it the things you can do with money that
      produce happiness?

      Or is it having a positive and giving attitude that is more
      important than the money?

      I guess that is what you are saying. If you have the right
      attitude, you will do good things with the money.

      If everyone had that attitude, we would have an awesome
      world!

      Be Well
      Don
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9744998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazztraveller
    For me, money simply allows you to exacerbate your existing state of mind and attitude

    For example, if you are an altruistic, giving and helping person, money allows you to spread this further.

    If you are a happy, positive person already, money allows you bigger experiences in which to be so.

    For example, if you're broke but feel happy walking in the countryside a mile from where you live, with money you now have the opportunity to do it in the most beautiful parts of the world!

    If you don't give of yourself freely (in a non-monetary way) when broke, it's likely you won't be generous with money when you attain it!

    Money - like fire - is neutral, and can be a force for whatever you want it to be
    Signature

    Let me help you Design & Take Control of Your Life
    Improve your goals, vision and mind for success at
    My Personal Development Blog

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746465].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by jazztraveller View Post

      For example, if you're broke but feel happy walking in the countryside a mile from where you live, with money you now have the opportunity to do it in the most beautiful parts of the world!
      Interesting point. Thanks jazztraveller.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9746595].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
      Originally Posted by jazztraveller View Post

      For me, money simply allows you to exacerbate your existing state of mind and attitude

      For example, if you are an altruistic, giving and helping person, money allows you to spread this further.

      If you are a happy, positive person already, money allows you bigger experiences in which to be so.

      For example, if you're broke but feel happy walking in the countryside a mile from where you live, with money you now have the opportunity to do it in the most beautiful parts of the world!

      If you don't give of yourself freely (in a non-monetary way) when broke, it's likely you won't be generous with money when you attain it!

      Money - like fire - is neutral, and can be a force for whatever you want it to be
      I agree. It is your attitude toward life and other people that colors
      your activities.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Trujillo
    Money can happiness but it will be short term ex: New car, new house.

    Nothing can keep you happy unless you are already happy.


    But you know what money does do for me?

    It provides me with freedom and peace of mind.


    Freedom to do what I want when I want, with who I want that in turn makes me "happy"

    Peace of mind I don't have to struggle with bills and just have enough to "get by"


    So money is the key really to freedom and peace of mind, which ultimately results into "happiness"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747101].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jazztraveller
      Totally agree Matthew,

      I think the part about "with WHO you want" is very important. Usually it is the toxicity of HAVING to work or mix with toxic people that brings most stress upon us. They can even be nice people, but just at odds with us and our wavelength of vision

      Richard
      Signature

      Let me help you Design & Take Control of Your Life
      Improve your goals, vision and mind for success at
      My Personal Development Blog

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by Matthew J Trujillo View Post

      But you know what money does do for me?

      It provides me with freedom and peace of mind.


      Freedom to do what I want when I want, with who I want that in turn makes me "happy"

      Peace of mind I don't have to struggle with bills and just have enough to "get by"


      So money is the key really to freedom and peace of mind, which ultimately results into "happiness"
      Great example of how having a certain amount of money results into happiness.

      My opinion is that you can be happy "just because" (like people have mentioned, happiness coming from within, etc.) and what you do with your money can also make you happy. : ) (It doesn't have to be "either/or.")
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9748302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author attackdome
    Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

    I'm not 100% certain however I'm guessing that "poor" people like saying the aforementioned phrase to justify that fact that they're not "wealthy." In any case, it's a complete myth IMO.

    For instance:

    --If you could pay your Children's college tuition, wouldn't that make you happy?
    --
    If you could support your favourite charities, wouldn't that make you happy?
    --
    If you could set up a Foundation that empowers thousands of people, wouldn't that make you happy?
    --
    If you could buy your dream car and dream house, wouldn't that make you happy?
    --If you could support your loved ones, wouldn't that make you happy?

    So go out and make your fortune. : ) (Because what you can do with your money can indeed make you happy.)
    Now, you all look money hungry, and that's good. ANYBODY who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't freaking' have any. They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the effin' smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby!
    Signature

    Moderator's Note: Affiliate link not allowed. Please edit.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747953].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
      Originally Posted by attackdome View Post

      Now, you all look money hungry, and that's good. ANYBODY who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't freaking' have any. They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the effin' smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby!
      Well, an interesting line I heard was:

      "Money can't buy happiness but it sure can buy
      the kind of misery you can enjoy!"

      Be Well
      Don
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9747962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rory Singh
    Happiness is just an emotion...

    Something that you give meaning to.

    Good or Bad.

    You can have a billion dollars and still feel 'incomplete'.

    I know some marketers who are making over $200K per year in IM and they are not happy guys.

    Happiness has to come from 'within'.

    I am NOT saying to not follow your Internet Success Dreams, that is not what I am saying.

    What I am saying is this...

    The 'treasure' is inside of you. You are the treasure and when you figure this out, then so much happiness will come that you wouldn't care about the money.

    Then guess what happens next?

    The money starts coming...

    "Fast and Furiously"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9748282].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Something I haven't seen mentioned is "How" a person comes into money.

      For me generating wealth by creating something of great value (that improves peoples' lives) is very rewarding. (And makes me happy : )
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9748373].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
        Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

        Something I haven't seen mentioned is "How" a person comes into money.

        For me generating wealth by creating something of great value (that improves peoples' lives) is very rewarding. (And makes me happy : )
        Quite true.

        If one inherits a fortune and is an emotional cripple,
        it will not be a benefit.

        On the other hand if one scratches and claws and finally
        succeeds against all odds, the result will be fulfillment.

        Much of the happiness is in fighting the good fight and
        gaining strength along the way.

        Be Well
        Don
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9750043].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
          Originally Posted by Sangfroid View Post

          On the other hand if one scratches and claws and finally
          succeeds against all odds, the result will be fulfillment.

          Much of the happiness is in fighting the good fight and gaining strength along the way.
          Nice.

          If anyone likes that kind of "mentality" then search online for "An Iron Will" (Orison Swett Marden.) It's in the Public Domain and if you're anything like me you will absolutely love it. : )
          Signature
          "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9751388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
    Here's a question...

    Does what you're doing to make money bring you joy, excitement and constant anticipation for what's next?

    If so, the money you produce will feel amazing.

    If not, no amount of money will make you happy.

    My take.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9749345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tttung247
    Poor people can not be happy, however too much money won't make you happy either. And even you have all the money to make all your "for instance" happen, it's not all about money that make you really happy . I'm not sure what can do that but I'm sure that only money can not bring that. So, I think money can buy some but just little happy - normally the short term one
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9753993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Trujillo
    Being broke is much worse than having money.

    Being broke you are stressed (opposite of happy)
    Being broke you get depressed (opposite of happy)
    Being DEAD broke will get you bankrupt (opposite of happy)
    Being broke will have you working a job you don't like (opposite of happy)
    Being broke will have you surrounded with people you don't want to be around (opposite of happy)
    Being broke you won't be able to do things on your term. (opposite of happy)
    Being broke someone else controls your fate (opposite of happy)
    Being broke will have you living somewhere you don't want to live (opposite of happy)

    The honest truth is you can be just as miserable if not worse without money.

    Beyond all the material things money can buy (which ultimately won't make you happy either).

    What is most important to me that money does give me is freedom and peace of mind.

    What is your freedom and peace of mind worth to you?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9754707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoboyz01
    There's a difference between peace of mind/sense of security and true happiness. Money can buy stuff, things, baubles, a nice place to live, better car, but not internal happiness. And, you can have all the trappings (as in traps) of success/money but not be happy inside. Or, you could have all the money in the world and be deliriously happy. Whether or not you are happy is up to you and how you perceive your life. Money can keep you from worrying about where your next meal is coming from. But, the more money you have, the more other kind of worries you have such as how best to get tax deductions to keep from paying all your hard earned money to your government. The rich have just as many worries (if not just another kind) as the poor. And, anyone can be happy, rich or poor. Not all poor people are happy, not all rich people are sad.
    Signature
    Google DOMINATION SEO service - Take your site 1st page of Google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9759966].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sangfroid
      Originally Posted by seoboyz01 View Post

      There's a difference between peace of mind/sense of security and true happiness. Money can buy stuff, things, baubles, a nice place to live, better car, but not internal happiness. And, you can have all the trappings (as in traps) of success/money but not be happy inside. Or, you could have all the money in the world and be deliriously happy. Whether or not you are happy is up to you and how you perceive your life. Money can keep you from worrying about where your next meal is coming from. But, the more money you have, the more other kind of worries you have such as how best to get tax deductions to keep from paying all your hard earned money to your government. The rich have just as many worries (if not just another kind) as the poor. And, anyone can be happy, rich or poor. Not all poor people are happy, not all rich people are sad.
      The best is to be happy inside no matter what is happening outside.

      Be Well
      Don
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9764277].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mushroomsoup31
    Happiness is a choice and contentment is happiness.

    No matter how rich or successful you are, you can't feel genuine happiness if you don't know how to be contented.

    Some people would like to have classy cars, but there are some who are contented with simple cars. Especially if they've worked hard to get their cars, no matter how simple it is, used or brand new.

    Envy destroys happiness. You will never be contented when you're always envy on what other people have.

    So I agree that money can also buy happiness. As long as you're content with what you've got.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9760111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author midohany
    i agree totally with you


    ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ
    cute love quotes amazing love quotes To draw a smile on the faces of your friends or your partner enjoy them now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10232872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lincolndesigns
    The common saying "money can't buy happiness" is very often used as an excuse for people that are too lazy to find ways to make money. Also, people tend to make the mistake of relying on happiness within money. Money alone cannot bring happiness just like any other aspect in life cannot give happiness on its own. Human beings are way too complex to gain happiness from just one thing, usually a person needs a well-rounded income of happiness. Therefore money can definitely play a big role in bringing happiness because it effects many human needs. It can provide living stability, memorable experiences, treating yourself with materials you deserve, and having enough to give for loved ones and people in need.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10379206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JenniferGiacoppo
    I do believe money can buy solutions, but you do not have to be wealthy to be happy.

    Money can buy alot of wonderful things, but happiness can also come for free.

    I do not believe that money it the root of evil, nor is it the answer to happiness.

    There are alot of rich and happy people.

    There are alot of poor and happy people.

    There are alot of rich and unhappy people.

    There are alot of poor and unhappy people.

    Wealth is perceptual.

    In most societies we need money to survive.

    If not money and it was coconuts we were trading for he exchange people, would say that coconuts

    are bad and some would say they are good.

    Money is not a problem, it is what people perceive as it being for their own individual

    experience and that perception is different in each one's own mind and eyes.

    It is the relationship to money that is the difference in one's life.

    If you have a good relationship with it, it flows well.

    If you hate it and think there's is not enough-well then, that becomes your reality.

    Realities can be changed.
    Signature

    "Attitude is everything. Your mind-set is your attitude. It is the difference between success and the lack of it!"http://www.jennifergiacoppo.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10379559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LydiaHuang
    I believe it's never an exchange. It is an belief which you chain yourself to achieve the best of yourself. It's also an excuse for people who don;t want to move out of their life. Money or not - it;s never the problem. It's our perspective of live which matters
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10379702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZeusStorys
    Money can buy temporary happiness not long term.

    I wrote an article on my site, Why Happiness Is Relative Zeus Storys- Self Improvemnt, Current Events, Short Stories
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10388851].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rosario1990
      Originally Posted by ZeusStorys View Post

      I wrote an article on my site
      Hey great article your have written on your site. I read it and got inspired. LOL!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10389271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TechNik
    I'll quote Daniel Tosh: "Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it buys a Wave Runner. You ever seen a sad person on a Wave Runner?"
    Signature
    Easiest Web Hosting
    • WordPress hosting from $0.84/month. Perfect for small projects and aspiring bloggers.
    www.EasiestWebHosting.com/blogstarter.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10389224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosario1990
    'Money can't buy happiness' I am totally agree with you here. This may happen for few things. But in reality money needed everywhere. Men always wishes for his happiness and want newly one every time. If you want something special then you need money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10389270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Priki
    Money is the purest evil that exist on planet Earth. People who are connected with money are also connect with the material world where you can never really use your emotion sensors!

    Money is something that you can touch it, but never really feel it, so in other words, money is illusion that will ''make you'' happy from outside, but will emptied you from inside.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10389857].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by Priki View Post

      Money is the purest evil that exist on planet Earth.
      With a limiting belief like that, more than likely you will never accumulate wealth. There's nothing wrong with money: You can do great things with it.

      For instance I would like to pay off all my Mum's credit card debt and treat her to a luxury spa weekend. I'm also thinking of setting up a Foundation providing that I make enough.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10390070].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Shana Walters
        Whether money can or can't buy happiness I feel depends on the individual involved.
        Happiness is an emotion yes, but it means different things for different people.
        What makes one person happy is easily brushed off by another person as something trivial and meaningless.
        I think I might just write a blog post about this very topic.

        Best Regards,
        Shana Jahsinta Walters.
        Signature
        Write until my fingers fall off. LOL!!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10405364].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sprucevn
    Absolutely, Money can not buy happiness, it only helps you to have an ensured life, not be hungry or thirsty. You should use your money meaningfully if you are lucky to be an rich people, you should share with the poor that will bring you the double of happiness, i believe that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10390050].message }}

Trending Topics