One Of The Biggest Mistakes Internet Marketers Make. No, Not That ... This!

26 replies
The importance of telling benefits, product facts, or having testimonials is almost a given in Internet Marketing, right?

But I've noticed one of the biggest mistakes most new and many experienced marketers make is doing all the above before they tell their story ... if they tell it at all.

Prospects and Consumers are conditioned now more than ever to hear stories. The background, the experiences and "the why" before buying.

Most of today's successful companies have stories. We all know about the stories of Apple, Amazon and Facebook. We even know about the stories of their CEO's. Trust me, it didn't happen by accident.

The good news? You don't have to be a billion dollar company to benefit from the power of stories. In fact, the companies mentioned above told their stories long before they were household names.

So, I encourage you to add this to your arsenal. It could be one of the quickest, most effective and no cost ways to get an edge on your competition. Plus, one of the best ways to stay competitive, especially if your competitors use stories effectively and you don't.

For those who watch Shark Tank, notice how each contestant has a story. And if they don't tell it, one of the sharks will ask them. That's how important it is to have one at the ready.

Here's some references for further study for your convenience. As always I invite your comments, opinions or even disagreements.

How to Use Stories To Add Value and Drive Sales.
Why Story Telling is Scientifically Proven to Boost Sales
Tell Stories and You'll Boost Sales

#biggest #internet #make #marketers #mistakes
  • Profile picture of the author tenbears
    For me, this is the most important post I've read in quite a while. Thank you!
    Signature
    UK Millionaire Shares Private Online Business System >> FREE VIDEO REVEALS <<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Stories are very powerful indeed and one of the most underused persuasion
    technique in online marketing. Social media thrives on stories, as well as
    the news--and they don't have a lack of attention.

    The example he gave about the charity appeal is used by most charities
    today. People are not so much concerned about the millions of people
    dying each year from AIDS as the one little girl who is. So they tell her
    story and see contributions increase.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226638].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      The example he gave about the charity appeal is used by most charities
      today. People are not so much concerned about the millions of people
      dying each year from AIDS as the one little girl who is. So they tell her
      story and see contributions increase.

      -Ray Edwards
      That's a good point, they seldom if ever talk about the millions of people starving, they talk about {insert name}, {insert age and picture} {insert his/her story}.

      Originally Posted by mrgoe View Post

      And another aspect to add, keep the story as close to the truth as possible.The less hype and lamborghinis you have the better, in my opinion.
      Yea, you're right that would be called lying, not the type of "story" we're discussing in this thread. But I'm glad you brought it up, we must always clarify for some people in this Forum.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    And another aspect to add, keep the story as close to the truth as possible.The less hype and lamborghinis you have the better, in my opinion.
    Signature
    Want To Rank on The First Page of Google? Try This:
    - Strong Authority Articles on PBNope.Com and
    - SEO Diversification Package From Rankcol.Com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trey Morgan
    I agree telling your story helps you stand-out as a unique person as opposed to just another guy/gal trying to sell something.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226818].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Trey Morgan View Post

      I agree telling your story helps you stand-out as a unique person as opposed to just another guy/gal trying to sell something.
      Exactly, in fact your story can often be the edge or unique quality that makes you stand out from your competition. Rattling off a list of benefits, facts, figures (machine-gun style) can look the same after awhile to many prospects. But your story can set you apart. Because no one else has "your" story. It's like a "sales boosting key" many marketers keep hidden in the basement.

      Originally Posted by Caspoor View Post

      And how i will come up with a story if i don't have one?
      First, the most important fact to realize is you have a story. Most people don't think they have a story or think it's important enough to tell. Big Mistake!

      You have experiences, for example:
      • Why you chose this product to sell, or why you created the product.
      • Why you created this business, website or blog or joined this program.
      • What problems or fears you experienced beforehand.
      • How you discovered this product or created this service.
      • The struggles or obstacles you overcame to arrive to where you are now.
      • What motivate you to do "this".
      -And more.

      Whether you just started yesterday or you have decades of experience you have a story and answers to the above questions. Now it's just a matter of knowing how to craft it in the best way to engage your target readers (market).

      There's ton's of information and videos to help you come up with or craft a story from the above questions. Just "Google It" or "YouTube It" and choose the one(s) that resonate the best with you. That's my suggestion.

      Once you get started it won't be hard to come up with a story. The hard part will be what to leave out.

      Originally Posted by nmwf View Post

      Thanks for the laugh.

      I've been toying with this idea myself. Problem is, it's a non-existent strategy in the world of software development. I.E. I've bought tons of software, computer and hardware products without knowing their history.

      Would it have influenced my sale? I doubt it. But it does add a little "charm..."
      Hmm! I'm not sure you can say it's not relevant in all industries. For example, I can show you tons of software development companies, products and people who tell their story in ads, PR's and other marketing materials. A powerful story not only adds charm as you say ... it adds to the bottom line.

      Don't make the same classic mistake I did, thinking because I don't value a story no else does either. Most business, fact minded people have that attitude. But your market may not.

      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Caspoor
    And how i will come up with a story if i don't have one?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226861].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nmwf
      Originally Posted by Caspoor View Post

      And how i will come up with a story if i don't have one?
      Thanks for the laugh.

      But honestly, The Niche Man makes a point (again). It isn't relevant in all industries, of course, but I don't see how it would hurt. I've been toying with this idea myself. Problem is, it's a non-existent strategy in the world of software development. I.E. I've bought tons of software, computer and hardware products without knowing their history.

      Would it have influenced my sale? I doubt it. But it does add a little "charm..."
      Signature
      Write comprehensible articles on *any* topic in seconds with First Draft...
      First Draft's: Download | Add-Ons | Templates | Purchase | Support | Affiliates
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author leilani
    Funny thing. A IM guru just spoke about how he uses stories to capture people's attention in his marketing. He uses it either by itself or in combination with selling a product. Claims it has affected his sales conversions tremendously!

    Thank you for sharing. Especially the articles.

    Leilani
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226886].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Here's a story I have heard over and over again . . .

      The marketer racked up $50,000 in credit card debt buying every money making opportunity and system that sounded good. He slept in his parent's basement on the couch because he couldn't pay the rent. His wife left him and the creditors were one step away. Then he found something that worked - a system he invented and in less than a year he was out of debt, living in a new home, with lots of cash in the bank. For only $1,995 you can have the secret system guaranteed to work for anyone!

      The moral of my story is . . . you have to be truthful and relevant.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10226965].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SMworkcafe
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        Here's a story I have heard over and over again . . .

        The marketer racked up $50,000 in credit card debt buying every money making opportunity and system that sounded good. He slept in his parent's basement on the couch because he couldn't pay the rent. His wife left him and the creditors were one step away. Then he found something that worked - a system he invented and in less than a year he was out of debt, living in a new home, with lots of cash in the bank. For only $1,995 you can have the secret system guaranteed to work for anyone!

        The moral of my story is . . . you have to be truthful and relevant.

        Steve
        ^^ this and ofcourse...

        Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

        Most of today's successful companies have stories. We all know about the stories of Apple, Amazon and Facebook. We even know about the stories of their CEO's. Trust me, it didn't happen by accident.
        ^^ this sums it up!

        It was there at the back of my mind, but you brought it in the front. Thank you Mr. Roy.
        Signature

        Cheers!

        - Sana.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10239118].message }}
    • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimwillis
    Thanks for this, Mr Niche Man! Good stuff. Crafting a narrative is an important thing to do for any business, even if the business is selling second hand tech equipment or whatever
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    Great post.

    Stories that get you emotionally involved (at least to some extent) work best.

    Some TV commercials tell a whole story in 60 seconds. The latest State Farm... Two divorced people getting married... Both have children... "Your dad just kissed my mom."... Love, happiness, security, the future, facing changes, new family dynamics... Everyone can relate in some way. Not a single thing is mentioned about insurance.

    Two of the biggest advertisers on the planet...

    The latest Iphone TV commercials are just a series of great photographs. There is such a variety that at least some of them have to grab you with the wow factor. There is not a SINGLE thing about the phone itself or any of it's features.

    The latest Windows 10 TV commercials are all babies and toddlers. Cute, hilarious, touching, loving... a little something for everyone. There is not a SINGLE thing about W10 or any of it's features.

    Television advertising is different in some ways but you can still learn from them. Don't forget the story. Don't forget the visuals. Don't forget to pull your customer/client/prospect in so their feelings are involved.

    Don't say; "I can't do that with my niche." Most people would call a computer OS and insurance boring.

    If you bore them they don't buy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Boris Qs
      Very true most of the marketers I follow today, those I still open their emails and follow the links they recommend are those I know a little about their marketing stories. Those whose stories I could quickly resonate to. Thanks, Niche Man for that breath of fresh air in this forum
      Signature
      Learning and Growing as an Affiliate Marketer with My Secrete Tube Mechanic Notes
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227388].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Max Anderson
        Originally Posted by Boris Qs View Post

        Very true most of the marketers I follow today, those I still open their emails and follow the links they recommend are those I know a little about their marketing stories. Those whose stories I could quickly resonate to. Thanks, Niche Man for that breath of fresh air in this forum
        Quoted for truth. The very few I follow are the ones that I have something in common with.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10228514].message }}
        • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10228960].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author discrat
            Good stuff, Roy.

            The whole Context and connecting through Emotion is extraordinarily powerful.

            Of course as the video states we all need to know the Facts backwards and Sideways but some people just seem to think that is the only way to go.

            And I and probably you and many others realize that great Story Telling implemented along with the Facts can go a long, long way


            - Robert Andrew
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10232927].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
              Originally Posted by discrat View Post


              Of course as the video states we all need to know the Facts backwards and Sideways but some people just seem to think that is the only way to go.
              That's a good point. I think the reason that's true is because most "How to make money, start a I.M business or similar books and courses" by Guru's - seldom if ever include the importance of telling engaging personal, product and marketing stories. Most just tell you to stuff a long list of benefits and facts down your prospects throat and they'll magically beg you to take their money. The engaging story is usually the missing link.
              Signature
              Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
              "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
              "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10235954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author C G
    Nice post.

    Check out Simon Sinek's book for details on how to craft your WHY..

    Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire...Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire...
    Cheers,

    C.G.
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sega001
    Awesome insight. I agree telling stories is very important. Stories is what keeps people intrigued and want to learn more about your product or service.
    Signature
    The Best Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnthonyMayson
    Thanks for great post!

    Story telling is really powerful way to engage customers / prospects!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10227905].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Boris Qs
      If you are interested, here is an Infografics that will help you break down how you can use storytelling effectively.

      Signature
      Learning and Growing as an Affiliate Marketer with My Secrete Tube Mechanic Notes
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10228511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    so the.. i googled a bunch of key words looking for a niche ..and found this one so decided to make a product for it.. isn't that what a lot of internet marketers or gurus call internet marketing ..

    or the im looking for a way tio get rich .. blah blah blah ..

    lot of internet marketer or at least many who are on this bored who come to this forum..seem to be trying to make money in the life coaching personal development ,, or crowded fields like that ....

    and if a big motivation for doing anything is to get rich or to just make money.. that comes through your story ..

    personally i have been working on my storyand from that the businesses or the things i need to improve show rather obviously ..

    in success story after success story .. of people who become millionaires there is a long period of time their businesses look like they may fail before the growth happens ..

    in any case ..for long term success..it is best to start cultivating a new story for your self ..

    the develop a business that works into the story.. I had this problem..my life was not going well.. i found a salution to the problem and my life is much better now..

    that is part of how Joe vitale manage to become such a big name in personal development ..he has a backstory from a long period of being poor homeless.

    but it might require you to actually solve a problem in your life before trying to make money teaching others ..
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10236018].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author The Niche Man
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      but it might require you to actually solve a problem in your life before trying to make money teaching others ..
      That's a must in my opinion. Or if you're new, the second best option is hooking up or partnering with someone whose actually solved a problem.
      Signature
      Download "Free 80 Page E-Book"
      "201 Ways To Live Better On Less Money".
      "Because The Easiest Way To Make Money is ... ... By Saving Some First!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10239077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allanrsm
    An interesting and relevant concept...when done right. Having our story as one of hardship and experience leading to ultimate success will always add validity to our marketing repertoire and one we should use when justified.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10242490].message }}

Trending Topics