The Best Mistake you Ever Made?

11 replies
Through all the books and forums Ive been scouring in recent years, the common thought seems to be to embrace the setbacks that come your way and to treat all mistakes as successes.

This is an outlook I love, it has taught me that a simple shift in mindset can help to push you onwards rather than despair at any difficulties that I might encounter. Without being naively positive it has shown me that mistakes and setbacks are to be celebrated as opportunities to learn and to progress as a better, more experienced person.

So Id like to ask all you experienced heads out there, what was the BEST mistake you ever made? What was the setback that threatened to derail your career and your future but ended up shaping your career for the better?

I think this could be a great opportunity to learn from each other, and above all to celebrate and share the positive attitudes that helped us push on past the road blocks that will inevitably come our way. Lets contribute to a great motivational speech, you never know who it might help.
#made #mistake
  • Profile picture of the author Wayne Equity
    • Lost over $50,000 trading commodities in a single day.
    • Countless business failures that had cost me hundreds of thousands dollars.
    • Went in and out of debt multiple times.
    • Missed many deadlines and often failed to reach lofty goals.
    • Disastrously irresponsible financial spending for many years.
    • Been humiliated, destroyed and all but distraught many times in my career.

    Wouldn't take back a single failure. They made me who I am today and gave me a REAL shot at one day becoming one of the greats one day.
    Signature

    Success Coach | Traveling | $2,000 / Month Coaching | 5 Videos Per Day
    ► ​YOUTUBE CHANNEL

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884087].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FutureSiliconCEO
      Originally Posted by Wayne Equity View Post

      • Lost over $50,000 trading commodities in a single day.
      • Countless business failures that had cost me hundreds of thousands dollars.
      • Went in and out of debt multiple times.
      • Missed many deadlines and often failed to reach lofty goals.
      • Disastrously irresponsible financial spending for many years.
      • Been humiliated, destroyed and all but distraught many times in my career.

      Wouldn't take back a single failure. They made me who I am today and gave me a REAL shot at one day becoming one of the greats one day.
      Hey man, thanks for the reply and for contributing to the discussion. Those look like some commendable set backs. But the ting that stands out the most to me about you and your list is that you obviously have the intelligence, talent and drive to get yourself into the positions to do those things. And that is something most people will never be able to say.

      For example;
      In order to lose fifty thousand dollars trading commodities, you first need to make fifty thousand dollars trading in commodities. That in itself is a huge achievement, not many can claim the initiative and ambition to even get to that point.

      To lose hundreds of thousands of dollars on countless business failures you first needed to think of countless business ideas and find hundreds of thousands of dollars to put into them. Again this shows the ambition, drive and belief that will set you apart in the future.

      And about missing the lofty goals. Setting lofty goals in itself is a commendable achievement.

      And you're right, each one of these setbacks will help shape us for the better. Every one of the greats in any sphere, business, sports, writing etc. Had to face setbacks and grow from them. If they didn't then they wouldn't have gained the the tools to truly succeed in the end.

      Take the famous Chicago Bulls team of the early 90's for example. I saw a documentary recently that showed me this case in point perfectly.

      Before MJ and his team won a single thing they had to overcome the Detroit Pistons who were a dominant force in basketball for a few years at the time when this bulls team was breaking through.

      The pistons were a tough, dirty team who used to intimidate and bully teams into losing. Year after year, the Bulls won every match of the season in style, they had the skills, the panache, and they had the greatest player of all time, Michael Jordan.

      But each time they faced the pistons in the playoffs they couldn't deal with their tough edge, physicality and downright intimidation tactics, and year after year they couldn't het past them.

      Eventually though, constantly losing to the pistons hardness caused them to develop a hardness of their own, they hit the gym, developed a tough streak and eventually overturned the pistons, the unpopular bully boys of early nineties basketball. The bulls went on to enjoy an unprecedented period of success, one which hasn't been matched to this day,

      Sorry for running away with this but the point is that if the bulls hadnt kept on loosing to the pistons in their early days, they wouldn't have had to develop the tough streak that they needed to finally overcome them and if they didn't develop that tough streak then who knows if they would have become the greatest team of all time?

      So without the challenge of the dirt-hard Pistons, we would never have had MJ and the Bulls.......possibly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10891234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alextrevayne
    I think every mistake we make, helps us in the long run. Even if we see it as "the worst thing that could have happened" in that moment. Later on in life we realize how that one mistake made us go on a different direction were we finally hit success or maybe we can help others by sharing that one mistake we did and warning people not to do it.

    I think the best mistake I ever made was when we decided to move to Colombia and leave everything behind (My wife and I both had really good full time jobs with excellent companies) so at first I regreted quitting. I finallly learned it was for the best. Moving to another country gave us the experience to set up our own company and to try other alternatives rather than to work a 9 to 5 job.
    Signature
    7 Characteristics Of Successful Entrepreneurs
    CLICK HERE TO GET ACCESS TO FREE REPORT
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10884110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FutureSiliconCEO
      Originally Posted by alextrevayne View Post

      I think every mistake we make, helps us in the long run. Even if we see it as "the worst thing that could have happened" in that moment. Later on in life we realize how that one mistake made us go on a different direction were we finally hit success or maybe we can help others by sharing that one mistake we did and warning people not to do it.

      I think the best mistake I ever made was when we decided to move to Colombia and leave everything behind (My wife and I both had really good full time jobs with excellent companies) so at first I regreted quitting. I finallly learned it was for the best. Moving to another country gave us the experience to set up our own company and to try other alternatives rather than to work a 9 to 5 job.
      Hi alextrevayne, thanks for your comment. That's a great example about moving to Colombia, I'm in the process of something similar myself. Myself and the missus left our 9 to 5's about two years ago and since then we've been travelling trying to figure out what we really want from life. We took a trip home recently to attend a couple of weddings and while I was there I couldn't help thinking whether or not I'd made a mistake. A lot of my friends and ex-colleagues had bought houses and moved up to fairly large salaries and I had effectively put myself back to the position I was in when I left college. But to be honest, when I looked at it realistically, I'd really got myself out of a life that I would never find fulfillment in and set myself on the track of doing something that I really enjoy for a living and working for myself. So similar to your story, it seems success is made by struggles.

      Thanks, and best of luck in Colombia to you and your wife.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10891267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    It wasn't a mistake however developing Schizophrenia has been the one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Why? Well as Napoleon Hill said: "Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit."

    In my case that would be. 1. Rejuvenating my relationship with God. 2. Being more grateful and appreciative. 3. Deepening my compassion and empathy.

    Jonathan

    Originally Posted by FutureSiliconCEO View Post

    This is an outlook I love, it has taught me that a simple shift in mindset can help to push you onwards rather than despair at any difficulties that I might encounter. Without being naively positive it has shown me that mistakes and setbacks are to be celebrated as opportunities to learn and to progress as a better, more experienced person.
    Amen. Really well said.
    : )
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10886453].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FutureSiliconCEO
      Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

      It wasn't a mistake however developing Schizophrenia has been the one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Why? Well as Napoleon Hill said: "Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit."

      In my case that would be. 1. Rejuvenating my relationship with God. 2. Being more grateful and appreciative. 3. Deepening my compassion and empathy.

      Jonathan



      Amen. Really well said.
      : )
      Hey Jonathan, thanks for your reply and for contributing to the thread.

      I have to say that your attitude and reaction to developing schizophrenia is truly inspiring and amazing. That's something that would knock anyone else back big time and turn them into a victim but for you to turn it around, own it, and then use it as a something to build on is remarkable. Have you ever thought about writing a book? It seems you have a truly remarkable story, and it's a reaction and take on this condition that I haven't heard before. I think you have a powerful message to share with the world.

      Bravo to you sir.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10891259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author easy gov grants
    Best mistake I ever made was quitting my corporate job. It was a mistake then because I lost my health insurance and a stable source of income. But it was a best decision for me because I stopped dreading going to work and gradually I was able to let go of the negative/rat race mentality I had developed from that environment.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10892267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Publishing up to 70 posts daily between 2 blogs. I didn't have much outcomes-based success with this approach but hot dang did I get good at shooting 1-2 minute videos and at writing too! All set the table for my prolific nature today. All seeming mistakes are practice sessions, laying the foundation for a successful venture.

    Good question!

    Ryan Biddulph
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10892384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author skyjoe76
    Losing $10,000 in a new business venture. Not a big amount but that was all I have then. Made me realised the difference between a good and bad deal.
    Signature
    Interview With Three Multi-Millionaires Click here

    Client uses this planning tool to create additional income Click here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10892956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrkhan21
    The best mistake I made was ending a contract with a long-term client in one of the job bidding sites. I finally got that negative review. But that pushed me to strive to get clients outside of the freelancer marketplace.
    Signature

    Search hundreds of and programs. The best place to research top best technical schools by college degree , trade school location, training online and technical

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10893023].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Master Blake
    Not identifying with my "parallel self" for some time. It's hard to pin down but once you get to meet a parallel version of awareness, the whole universe around you reshapes.

    Once I did, I started receiving everything I deserved, and... visualized.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10893115].message }}

Trending Topics