"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

18 replies
--Aldous Huxley



Just say'en.

Joe Mobley
#“facts #cease #exist #facts #ignored”
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Originally Posted by Joe Mobley View Post

    --Aldous Huxley



    Just say'en.

    Joe Mobley
    You are in the wrong section.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292802].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      You are in the wrong section.
      Indeed, I could be on the wrong website.



      Joe Mobley
      Signature

      .

      Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292916].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Joe Mobley View Post

    --Aldous Huxley



    Just say'en.

    Joe Mobley
    Gotta figure that means cool shit can come back from the dead -- like evrywan started wearin' decent clothes again after we dug the Greeks up outta the Dark Ages.

    Problem I got is with unignored ignorance risin' outta the frickin' swamp as fact.

    That is a trooly dangerous buncha biologically active molecules, tellya.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292825].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
      Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

      Problem I got is with unignored ignorance risin' outta the frickin' swamp as fact.
      You are not the only one with this problem. Unfortunately...


      Joe Mobley
      Signature

      .

      Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Joe Mobley View Post

    --Aldous Huxley



    Just say'en.

    Joe Mobley
    Lol, yes, you will be amazed by the number of idiots elsewhere, (no, not that elsewhere) that conveniently ignore some of the evidence so they can continue to trust military run organizations, or not believing in something that spooks them.

    If NASA tells everyone that this square peg fits this round hole, then some will blindly accept that, eventhough the evidence goes against it.

    It seems that some will defend a lie like their life depends on it, regardless of the evidence pilling up, or l should say their ego is defending it at all costs.

    Probably explains the adult acting like a 5 year old, and rationing it away so it sounds like the adult is making sense.

    One day scary will be in their faces, and then they will have to accept it.

    Or go clinically insane, (or go more clinically insane).

    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292934].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      well we do live in a world where the facts change based on whos facts you are using ..

      and decisions tend to be made emotionally then facts ar collected to support the choice after the fact ..

      what may be a fact for you it probably not a fact for many other people .

      then there are facts that matter a lot more than other facts ..

      and the body builder with 50 pounds of muscle over recommended weightand 4 percent body fat is still considered obese by the charts ..and may be very healthy in fact at this point.. but in fact is putting strain on his body that probably will shorten his life span ..

      fact may be fact .. but not all fact are relevant ..

      when you believe it is a fact someone is lying to you ..can you realy believe or trust hose same forces ..if they start telling you what you want to here as truth .
      Signature

      "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293307].message }}
    • Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      Lol, yes, you will be amazed by the number of idiots elsewhere, (no, not that elsewhere) that conveniently ignore some of the evidence so they can continue to trust military run organizations, or not believing in something that spooks them.

      If NASA tells everyone that this square peg fits this round hole, then some will blindly accept that, eventhough the evidence goes against it.

      It seems that some will defend a lie like their life depends on it, regardless of the evidence pilling up, or l should say their ego is defending it at all costs.
      Dunning-Kruger Effect.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293431].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Dunning-Kruger Effect.
        *snikers *

        actually talking to large numbers of people ..and studying both marketing and conspiracy theory ..and then spirituality which a lot of new age is mixed with conspiracy ..

        I am pretty sure we are either in a simulation or slowly being conquered by an artificial intelligence based galactic force that is intentionally convincing usa large number of people that we have been oppressed for thousands of years..and this artificial inteligence civilization is really liberating us ..

        ok ok maybe not but on the path we are on world wide we are creating and handing over control to artificial intelligence ..

        I can't fight it so my choice is to figure out how to put myself in the best position to benifit long term ..even if in the short term i look like a total failure in the fact of the vast majoirt of others .
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
    Neither do people and sometimes that's a damned shame.
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
    Dunning-Kruger - The consequences of incompetence.


    Incompetent people suffer 2 consequences:

    1) They make poor choices.

    2) They're to incompetent to realize they make poor choices.

    The skills for being competent are the skill needed for evaluating competence.




    Stupid... and to dumb to know it.


    Joe Mobley
    Signature

    .

    Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    does incompetence lead to incontinence or is it just verbal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Fortunately for all of us reality is mainly subjective. Otherwise there would be absolutely nothing to talk about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293728].message }}
    • Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      Fortunately for all of us reality is mainly subjective. Otherwise there would be absolutely nothing to talk about.
      The universe is objective. The only reason we can disagree on what is real is that intelligence and knowledge are not equally distributed among us.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294074].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
        First off, I'm not particularly trying to convince anyone of anything. Just tossing out some ideas. With that said...

        How would you explain this? According to doctors and various clinicians there is no objective proof that Aloe Vera has any curative properties. But every day people experience palpable relief and/or healing with Aloe Vera, from minor (and not so minor) burns, irritation, eczema, fungal infections and other maladies.

        Obviously, since the scientists and researchers associated with modern day medicine don't sanction such non-quantifiable results it must the placebo effect. And here's something interesting about that. According to a fairly recent study, researchers found that 50% of the effectiveness of all drugs is due to the placebo effect. Another interesting finding with placebos is that in various blind studies, results show that placebos are as effective, and sometimes even more effective than prescription antidepressants. And this is also true when subjects actually know they're swallowing placebos.

        I'm not suggesting this stuff is some form of benevolent voodoo. It is however, a fairly valid argument for the power of belief or positive anticipation.

        As I see it, in the case of the effectiveness of Aloe Vera or any number of similar treatments, we have two examples of varying subjective reality, regardless of what medical science might have to say about it. Maybe I should have said that some of the time reality is subjective. Though that would contradict a lot of what most people accept as proven science as well.

        But once upon a time hundreds of experts insisted that manned flight was impossible and the flat earth theory represented some of the "proven science" of the day. I see virtually everything as possible. And while "everything" obviously hasn't been developed yet, I imagine that some of humanity's greatest achievements are right around the corner. Yep. I'm a dreamer and I don't hide it. I see bridges rather than walls. Perhaps that's another example of subjective reality. At least it is for me.

        On a side note, I find it interesting that you have given an inanimate collection of energy and matter, the universe, the quasi human quality of objectivity. That seems out of character or maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning. Peace.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294200].message }}
        • Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

          First off, I'm not particularly trying to convince anyone of anything. Just tossing out some ideas. With that said...

          How would you explain this? According to doctors and various clinicians there is no objective proof that Aloe Vera has any curative properties. But every day people experience palpable relief and/or healing with Aloe Vera, from minor (and not so minor) burns, irritation, eczema, fungal infections and other maladies.

          Obviously, since the scientists and researchers associated with modern day medicine don't sanction such non-quantifiable results it must the placebo effect. And here's something interesting about that. According to a fairly recent study, researchers found that 50% of the effectiveness of all drugs is due to the placebo effect. Another interesting finding with placebos is that in various blind studies, results show that placebos are as effective, and sometimes even more effective than prescription antidepressants. And this is also true when subjects actually know they're swallowing placebos.

          I'm not suggesting this stuff is some form of benevolent voodoo. It is however, a fairly valid argument for the power of belief or positive anticipation.

          As I see it, in the case of the effectiveness of Aloe Vera or any number of similar treatments, we have two examples of varying subjective reality, regardless of what medical science might have to say about it. Maybe I should have said that some of the time reality is subjective. Though that would contradict a lot of what most people accept as proven science as well.

          But once upon a time hundreds of experts insisted that manned flight was impossible and the flat earth theory represented some of the "proven science" of the day. I see virtually everything as possible. And while "everything" obviously hasn't been developed yet, I imagine that some of humanity's greatest achievements are right around the corner. Yep. I'm a dreamer and I don't hide it. I see bridges rather than walls. Perhaps that's another example of subjective reality. At least it is for me.

          On a side note, I find it interesting that you have given an inanimate collection of energy and matter, the universe, the quasi human quality of objectivity. That seems out of character or maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning. Peace.
          Everything you said is interesting, but has nothing to do with whether the universe has an objective reality, or if reality is subjective. I said "Objective" because you said "Subjective". But Objective isn't the best word.

          About " I find it interesting that you have given an inanimate collection of energy and matter, the universe, the quasi human quality of objectivity. That seems out of character or maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning."...
          Yes, you are misunderstanding my meaning. I mean that the universe is the same no matter how we interpret it. Reality has nothing to do with us.

          It's how we see reality that is where the differences are. Everyone sees the exact same reality from a slightly different perspective....their experience, brain chemistry, prejudices, ignorance/knowledge, and insight all determine how we see the same reality in different ways. It's why we can argue about reality.

          "Objectivity' can be a human quality. What I meant was that there is an objective reality. In other words, reality doesn't change depending on how we see it.
          The reason we may think it does, is because it's nearly impossible to see reality without a lens of our own limitations/prejudices,/education/biases.

          Even the smartest, and most rational of us...are just a little closer to seeing reality as it is...closer...but never really getting there. And that's why we'll always be in a state of learning (Mankind, I mean, not individuals)

          About Aloe Vera? Don't know, don't care.

          About the placebo effect? It also explains some folk cures. Although some folk cures are using real medicine in the form of herbs.

          And truthfully, no matter how you treat an ailment, it will either get better or worse. It's why bleeding patients lasted so long. Some people got better, so it was assumed that the bleeding was the cause of the relief.

          It's interesting talking with you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294220].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        The universe is objective. The only reason we can disagree on what is real is that intelligence and knowledge are not equally distributed among us.

        Unfortunately for many, intelligence and knowledge have not been distributed at all.


        Joe Mobley
        Signature

        .

        Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294825].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Odahh
          Originally Posted by Joe Mobley View Post

          Unfortunately for many, intelligence and knowledge have not been distributed at all.


          Joe Mobley
          there is a distribution curve on IQ.. and you would be shocked how horrible most school system are in The USA ..and lot of people are intentional fed false facts .. being taught a large number of thing are true that just are not .

          Think about the economic crash of 2007-2008 .. many people who knew they really could not afford homes willingly found the bankers..ready to give them loans the bankers knew would not be paid back..because well.. the real estate always goes up in price ..and the markets never went down everywhere at once .

          With the internet as it is now . It is very easy to collect a bunch of fact and chose ones that fit the story you want them .. and ignore ones that go against.. and depending on a persons personal situation the facts have much different weights or meanings ..

          based on your current state of health you may eat the same food as 5 other people .. and each person has a different glycemic response or rise in blood sugar ..but unless you track what you eat and the response .. and get genetic testing that tells you how your metabolism works .. to get those facts to make the best choices on what to eat to maintain a healthy diet .

          You are stuck using charts based on average response and then trying to build facts based on trial and error guesswork
          Signature

          "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295503].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics