Why Its Good To Visualise Yourself As A Rubber Ball

by Ged3
31 replies
Hi Warriors,


when you have a set back in life - including internet marketing I have read that it is good to visualize yourself as a rubber ball and bounce back.


If I have a set back I try this - and it does seem to help.


The next time you have a set back try it - I am sure it will help.


Ged
#ball #good #rubber #visualise
Avatar of Unregistered
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458023].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458168].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    my ball got a hole in it

    only bounces in one place now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Originally Posted by Ged3 View Post

    Hi Warriors,


    when you have a set back in life - including internet marketing I have read that it is good to visualize yourself as a rubber ball and bounce back.


    If I have a set back I try this - and it does seem to help.


    The next time you have a set back try it - I am sure it will help.


    Ged
    so what happens when you visualize yourself as a rubber ball .. in my vitalization i kid picked me up and started playing fetch with his dog.. and the dog slobbered a lot .

    what are the positive benefits of this and i'm sure there is a better way to get them ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ged3
      The positive benefits are that if you have a "knock back" or suffer a let down, you visualize yourself as made of rubber - like a rubber ball.


      Then say to yourself "I will bounce back, like a rubber ball"


      It improves your mindset - and attitude!


      I have also seen it written, that its not what happens to you in life but how you react to what happens - whatever the circumstances - and this does seem to be true, especially when you see how some people suffer very trying circumstances but find something within themselves to cope and overcome their difficulties.



      Hope this helps.


      Ged
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    the other part of the question.. was have you used it and did it work ..

    I personally have had more than my share of knock backs knock downs and what not.. I have learned not to attach myself to the opinion that what happened or is happening is bad on the long term scale . then to look at the opportunities even the crappy conditions give me .

    What areas does this thing give me a chance to improve so that it turns this into a long term positive thing and a short term uncomfortable thing .. Responding to the reality of what is happening instead of getting upset about how i thought things should have happened..

    I have a visual of these things being a kind of hard pruning . You encourage growth or productivity in a plant or a tree or a bush .. by pruning of the parts that will draw energy from a plant and not lead to a healthier or more productive plant .

    so i will go back to the question.. how has the rubber ball visualization worked for you through tough times
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458923].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      the other part of the question.. was have you used it and did it work ..

      I personally have had more than my share of knock backs knock downs and what not.. I have learned not to attach myself to the opinion that what happened or is happening is bad on the long term scale . then to look at the opportunities even the crappy conditions give me
      Similar. When something bad happens in my life my first thought is..

      "What did I learn from this?"

      And the second question is "How is this to my advantage?" It has nothing to do with "Positive thinking". I mean what real benefit can I use to my advantage? What information was useful to me?


      If it's something that has already happened, my thought is to get the most out of it. Of course, getting hit by a truck, or having a spouse die...don't really apply. But in business it does.

      As far as being a rubber ball, I get the reason for the analog. But...the reason you think along those lines is that you feel the pressure...and that's what you have to bounce back from.

      Personally, I see myself as a ball of moving air. No need to bounce back, because I don't feel the pressure. Believe me, it's not because I'm strong....it's just not personal to me.

      It also helps if you are aware of probabilities.

      I remember when I was maybe 40 years old. My Dad just died. Of course I cried. But hours later it dawned on me that before I died, several things were going to happen;
      My Mom could very likely die. My wife had a good chance of dying first.
      The economy was likely to take at least one major dive before I died.
      I would have several good years in business, and probably several major problems.
      I was likely to have my store robbed at least once.
      I was likely to be in extreme pain for several months with back problems, at least one more time.
      A few trips to the Emergency room. A few trips to the emergency room for my wife.

      But in between these inconveniences....a pretty good life for my wife and I.

      "So this is when that was going to happen"..is a pretty good outlook when tragedy strikes.

      Anyway, a few thoughts.


      Added later; In selling, I used the same outlook. I never got excited when I got a sale, or depressed because I wasted my time...it was just all part of the same process. In learning a new business, I always knew it wasn't really a matter of success or failure, just a learning process....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458955].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Similar. When something bad happens in my life my first thought is..

        "What did I learn from this?"

        And the second question is "How is this to my advantage?" It has nothing to do with "Positive thinking". I mean what real benefit can I use to my advantage? What information was useful to me?


        m.

        Personally, I see myself as a ball of moving air. No need to bounce back, because I don't feel the pressure. Believe me, it's not because I'm strong....it's just not personal to me.

        It also helps if you are aware of probabilities.
        ....
        one of the things i cringe at or have started to cringe at in the last year or so with the motivation space or the mystic /spiritual stuff

        is the belief that there is something outside orr outthere in control of what happens .. and what someone needs to do is get in a better vibration .. or pray .. or put there energy into appealing to this outside force in order to have better success in life ..blah blah blah..

        everything that has happened in the last few year that was seemingly negative at the time has led to great improvements in many things ..and much of what happened was because i was screwing up somewhere and wandering into bad probabilities..

        the problem i have with the rubber ball concept ..as a positive thing ..is a rubber ball does not throw itself or move of it's own will.. something else has to throw it for it to move or bounce ..

        i don't know i guess as i learn and grow and improve at a faster pace ..these simplified visualization.. or attempts to refine anything down to that one thing that must be done.. in my view just lead people to avoid real long term change ..

        in any case ..i'm probably even mmore confusing than i normally am..so i will stop here
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460103].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          the problem i have with the rubber ball concept ..as a positive thing ..is a rubber ball does not throw itself or move of it's own will.. something else has to throw it for it to move or bounce ..
          And the ball's only function is to get chucked or kicked around for the fun of others, until it loses its bounce and gets ditched.

          If you're going to visualise being resilient, why not choose, I don't know, maybe Thor?
          .
          Signature
          TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460110].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
            Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

            If you're going to visualise being resilient, why not choose, I don't know, maybe Thor?
            I'm going with Silly Putty.
            Signature

            "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460116].message }}
          • Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

            And the ball's only function is to get chucked or kicked around for the fun of others, until it loses its bounce and gets ditched.

            If you're going to visualise being resilient, why not choose, I don't know, maybe Thor?
            .
            When I originally read the first post, I was thinking of, instead of a rubber ball, a shot put of cast iron

            "Go ahead, kick me".

            I thought it was funny, but I wanted to appear smarter than I am. I'm very needy that way.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460294].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

          the problem i have with the rubber ball concept ..as a positive thing ..is a rubber ball does not throw itself or move of it's own will.. something else has to throw it for it to move or bounce ..
          Every once in awhile, someone posts something that shows that neurons are firing. This was one of those posts. Well done.

          But let's take the rubber ball analogy

          The OP used it to show that the advantage of a rubber ball is that it bounces back...and that is true. But for it to bounce back, it has to absorb punishment.

          Personally, I think the advantage of thinking like a rubber ball is that you can roll in any direction...to avoid impacts and head in the right direction.

          And a real advantage of a revolving ball is that any impact is spun away, and not absorbed directly. To translate that, keeping busy and working minimizes the problems and distractions.

          As an example, a typical week for me (in my store) involves 5 services I have to do for free...that cost me money, 50 or more telephone calls from solicitors, 5 people asking me to contribute to a cause that means the world to them, but nothing to me, 3 hours on the phone answering out of state calls that I cannot make money on, and a few minor complaints I have to resolve.

          But these things happen every week, no matter what else happens. If I sell one high end vacuum cleaner that week, these headaches feel much worse than if I sell 20 vacuum cleaners that week....even though it means more work.

          It's because I'm in motion, getting things done, making money....the little "bumps" we always get anyway...just bounce off.

          And the truth is that almost every impact to a bouncing ball (in our analogy) is self inflicted or avoidable. Why do I get so many solicitations? I got myself listed in every online directory possible, in multiple categories. 75% of these calls result in nothing. But 25% result in a sale in one form or another. So even though I whine about it, it's worth it.

          Why do I have to do so many free services? Because I made a ton of sales. And I keep my promises to customers.

          You take the bitter with the sweet.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460293].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ged3
            Hi Optedin,


            the rubber ball is just an analogy - it could be "made of rubber" - just something that you can never beat down - have ever hard it is hit, it will "bounce back".


            Ged
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460300].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ged3
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Every once in awhile, someone posts something that shows that neurons are firing. This was one of those posts. Well done.

            But let's take the rubber ball analogy

            The OP used it to show that the advantage of a rubber ball is that it bounces back...and that is true. But for it to bounce back, it has to absorb punishment.

            Personally, I think the advantage of thinking like a rubber ball is that you can roll in any direction...to avoid impacts and head in the right direction.

            And a real advantage of a revolving ball is that any impact is spun away, and not absorbed directly. To translate that, keeping busy and working minimizes the problems and distractions.

            As an example, a typical week for me (in my store) involves 5 services I have to do for free...that cost me money, 50 or more telephone calls from solicitors, 5 people asking me to contribute to a cause that means the world to them, but nothing to me, 3 hours on the phone answering out of state calls that I cannot make money on, and a few minor complaints I have to resolve.

            But these things happen every week, no matter what else happens. If I sell one high end vacuum cleaner that week, these headaches feel much worse than if I sell 20 vacuum cleaners that week....even though it means more work.

            It's because I'm in motion, getting things done, making money....the little "bumps" we always get anyway...just bounce off.

            And the truth is that almost every impact to a bouncing ball (in our analogy) is self inflicted or avoidable. Why do I get so many solicitations? I got myself listed in every online directory possible, in multiple categories. 75% of these calls result in nothing. But 25% result in a sale in one form or another. So even though I whine about it, it's worth it.

            Why do I have to do so many free services? Because I made a ton of sales. And I keep my promises to customers.

            You take the bitter with the sweet.

            Yes, that's a good way of looking at the rubber ball analogy!


            Ged
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460301].message }}
  • Can I get mebbe two rubber balls please?


    That way I can smack 'em into each other an' max out on BOUNCEBACK POTENTIAL.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digital55
    Bouncing back is key. The quicker you bounce back the quicker you will succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Ged,

    I like it.

    I do not attach much to outcomes so it is tough for me to have setbacks But it helps to be resilient, patient, generous and willing to bounce back if you feel you failed. Keep going guys.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    If you want to become a full time blogger you can buy my eBook here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458963].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ged3
      Thanks Ryan,


      I often find with internet marketing that there are a series of hurdles to over come as with other aspects of life its good to keep positive and have a "bounce back" mentality!


      Ged
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11459409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    An endless stream of lunacy. Always good for a chuckle, if nothing else.
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11458977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    The problem I have with the 'Rubber Ball' analogy, is that it's just, plain ludicrous.

    I mean that, seriously. That said, most of what's posted in this section falls into that category, so I guess it's only befitting it would be right at home, here.
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11460298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jose Fourino
    It worked! Even more so when I snap the play button and listen to Cosmic Master's hypnosis.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
    Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

    one of the things i cringe at or have started to cringe at in the last year or so with the motivation space or the mystic /spiritual stuff

    is the belief that there is something outside orr outthere in control of what happens .. and what someone needs to do is get in a better vibration .. or pray .. or put there energy into appealing to this outside force in order to have better success in life ..blah blah blah..
    That's true, as long as Saturn, doesn't intersect,.....never mind.



    Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

    The problem I have with the 'Rubber Ball' analogy, is that it's just, plain ludicrous.

    I mean that, seriously. That said, most of what's posted in this section falls into that category, so I guess it's only befitting it would be right at home, here.
    You sound like a rubber ball gets eaten by a dog, and the inevitable happens kind of person?


    Or we could have the multiverse, where there are an infinite number of ball bounces, or multiple dimensions where there are balls within balls.

    Sorry, but yeah, this is a little silly...


    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461440].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

      You sound like a rubber ball gets eaten by a dog, and the inevitable happens kind of person?
      Or, someone who faces life's challenges by using my given intellect, my developed power of reasoning, my ability to ascertain what is real in life and never looking for any external influences to shape the way I approach anything I encounter on a day to day basis.

      Hey, but that's just me.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Highest And Best
    Originally Posted by Ged3 View Post

    Hi Warriors,


    when you have a set back in life - including internet marketing I have read that it is good to visualize yourself as a rubber ball and bounce back.


    If I have a set back I try this - and it does seem to help.


    The next time you have a set back try it - I am sure it will help.


    Ged
    Setbacks are a normal part of life and business. So yeah, be a rubber ball and bounce back. Your attitude determines everything!


    -Scott
    Signature
    Don't let Internet Marketing overwhelm you... let's take the journey together! Build Money Machines!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461513].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ged3
      Scott,


      yes thank you for your comment.


      Its all about attitude - we cannot determine what happens to us in life, but we can always determine how we respond to it!


      All the best


      Ged
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461519].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Originally Posted by Ged3 View Post

        Its all about attitude - we cannot determine what happens to us in life, but we can always determine how we respond to it!
        Love it ... Thanks Ged3
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    I hate to be persnickety, but accuracy is important, Attitude can affect many things, but not everything, It doesn't determine, anything, beyond how you perceive its effect on something. Attitude is too nebulous for its effect on anything, to ever be quantified.

    If you're just going to parrot these phrases, without searching for their deeper meaning, which oftentimes doesn't actually exist, then there is no benefit. Just more mental masturbation.
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461549].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

      I hate to be persnickety, but accuracy is important, Attitude can affect many things, but not everything, It doesn't determine, anything, beyond how you perceive its effect on something. Attitude is too nebulous for its effect on anything, to ever be quantified.

      If you're just going to parrot these phrases, without searching for their deeper meaning, which oftentimes doesn't actually exist, then there is no benefit. Just more mental masturbation.
      the issue becomes are people saying or reading and repeating.or visualizing this stuff just to feel better or be more positive.or are they pushing for meaningful growth.

      so is someone going to bounce back from a set back, be persistent, never give up and just set more big goals they really have no hope of reaching. are they going to figure out where they went wrong and what they can learn. and how to be better prepared for the next problems before they happen.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461556].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

        the issue becomes are people saying or reading and repeating.or visualizing this stuff just to feel better or be more positive.or are they pushing for meaningful growth.
        I'm sorry to tell you, but most parrot this crap because it allows them to look like they are 'deep thinkers,' when nothing can be further from the truth.

        These are nothing more than empty, meaningless bromides. That's the reality, regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. lol
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461572].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
          Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

          I'm sorry to tell you, but most parrot this crap because it allows them to look like they are 'deep thinkers,' when nothing can be further from the truth.

          These are nothing more than empty, meaningless bromides. That's the reality, regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. lol
          Yep, this is self help at its worst.

          "Be The Ball"

          "How to Face Lifes Challenges, By Beeing the Ball and Bouncing Back"


          Visualizing an inanimate object bouncing off a surface, isn't going to get you past some setback.

          Getting p***d and angry, walking away, taking a break, and then critically analyzing the issue, to find a way forward will.

          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11461608].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics