Focus = Results = Success | Goal Setting

20 replies
If there is one piece of advice for anyone who would like to get started in online marketing. That is focusing on one goal.

I've written several points that I've experienced in my 10-year journey until now.

That advice is "Focus"

You really, really need to be focused on your goal.

What is your goal?

Write down your goal. And your goal should not be "I wanna be a millionaire" or that type of vague goal.

Set clear goals, clear intentions of what you want to achieve and WHY you want to achieve it.

And you need to set a clear date. Not "tomorrow", not "in a week"... But a clear goal with a date. The more specific you are with this, the more results you may have.

Hard work is the key!

I always see this, with all the launches, and I feel sorry for the people who fall for the BS that is being launched "get huge results with very little work".

All results come from hard work.

The more you work, the better results you'll get. Sorry but all the BS software you see being promoted that promise you'll be a millionaire in 9 minutes, will only let you down (or ANY bright shiny product you'll see being promoted with BIG promises and very little effort will only let you down).

Write your goals in present tense

The "why" is more important than "how".
If your "why" is strong enough, your "how" will resolve itself.

Imagine someone you love, would seriously get hurt if you could not help them in 365 days from now, using your marketing efforts. Would that put things into perspective?

It's all about how you can motivate yourself so that you get s**t done. Fast.

What does that mean?

It usually means you need to fail fast -- at first!

Imagine this: You are _thinking_ of trying this new strategy, and you just think all the scenarios how it would work... But you never really work on it... You never really try it... Then comes a situation and you NEED to make something work... You try to make it work... And it does not. You fail. You used 4 weeks of thinking about doing it... But 4 hours later ON TOP of the 4 weeks, you realize you should have tried earlier.

You need to find out as fast as you can, whether if your strategy works or not...

So... Fail fast!

Perfection will kill your business

Never try to be perfect. Just get things to a "good enough" level, and release it.

Period.

Don't ponder too much, just take action and release it. You have plenty of time to tweak and test later if you want to.


- - - - - - - -

Ok, let's summarize:

-- Focus on ONE goal and one goal only!
-- Work hard, no bs software will get you results. Only you will!
-- Set written goals with clear outcomes and dates!
-- Fail fast, try something else until it works!
-- Perfection will kill your business!

Good Luck!
#focus #goal #results #setting #success
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by Mr_Lauri View Post

    If there is one piece of advice for anyone who would like to get started in online marketing. That is focusing on one goal.

    I've written several points that I've experienced in my 10-year journey until now.

    That advice is "Focus"

    You really, really need to be focused on your goal.

    What is your goal?

    Write down your goal. And your goal should not be "I wanna be a millionaire" or that type of vague goal.

    Set clear goals, clear intentions of what you want to achieve and WHY you want to achieve it.

    And you need to set a clear date. Not "tomorrow", not "in a week"... But a clear goal with a date. The more specific you are with this, the more results you may have.

    Hard work is the key!

    I always see this, with all the launches, and I feel sorry for the people who fall for the BS that is being launched "get huge results with very little work".

    All results come from hard work.

    The more you work, the better results you'll get. Sorry but all the BS software you see being promoted that promise you'll be a millionaire in 9 minutes, will only let you down (or ANY bright shiny product you'll see being promoted with BIG promises and very little effort will only let you down).

    Write your goals in present tense

    The "why" is more important than "how".
    If your "why" is strong enough, your "how" will resolve itself.

    Imagine someone you love, would seriously get hurt if you could not help them in 365 days from now, using your marketing efforts. Would that put things into perspective?

    It's all about how you can motivate yourself so that you get s**t done. Fast.

    What does that mean?

    It usually means you need to fail fast -- at first!

    Imagine this: You are _thinking_ of trying this new strategy, and you just think all the scenarios how it would work... But you never really work on it... You never really try it... Then comes a situation and you NEED to make something work... You try to make it work... And it does not. You fail. You used 4 weeks of thinking about doing it... But 4 hours later ON TOP of the 4 weeks, you realize you should have tried earlier.

    You need to find out as fast as you can, whether if your strategy works or not...

    So... Fail fast!

    Perfection will kill your business

    Never try to be perfect. Just get things to a "good enough" level, and release it.

    Period.

    Don't ponder too much, just take action and release it. You have plenty of time to tweak and test later if you want to.


    - - - - - - - -

    Ok, let's summarize:

    -- Focus on ONE goal and one goal only!
    -- Work hard, no bs software will get you results. Only you will!
    -- Set written goals with clear outcomes and dates!
    -- Fail fast, try something else until it works!
    -- Perfection will kill your business!

    Good Luck!
    Every so often the WF hires people to post these kinds of "articles", but they don't last long. Mainly because they are full of pablum, trite cliches and intellectual pap.

    Focus, work hard, goals, outcomes, test, fail fast, perfection will kill your business.

    Hard for anyone to disagree with this however, it is air. There is no substance in these kind of articles, no HOW TO. How to set a goal, how to focus, what is hard work, why write it down.

    So I have to think you've been hired by the WF. If so, collect your dough now, cause you won't be around very long.

    GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Originally Posted by Mr_Lauri View Post

    Hard work is the key!

    I always see this, with all the launches, and I feel sorry for the people who fall for the BS that is being launched "get huge results with very little work".

    All results come from hard work.

    The more you work, the better results you'll get.
    I definitely agree with that. "Hard work" is one of the most important components of success.

    Cheers.
    : )
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    It is an 'article' but not a planned one to my knowledge. Posts like this are routinely moved to the Mind Forum where 'motivational' posts reside.
    Signature
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559263].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      It is an 'article' but not a planned one to my knowledge. Posts like this are routinely moved to the Mind Forum where 'motivational' posts reside.

      Shame nowan ain't callin' Moi to pull the shots.


      Then we might all get sumplace!*


      Meantime, one thing to figure is how there ain't evah no steady state 'bout nuthin' at all.


      Which is why any kinda focus gotta switch out regulah on where'er it might wanna fix.


      Most cities got real historic statues gaze out kinda wherevah, blessed for all eternity for their way cool vision -- but they don't actschwlly see much.


      Movin' wanna wanna targets demand movin' wanna wanna eyeballcraft.







      *!
      Signature

      Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560943].message }}
      • [QUOTE=Princess Balestra;11560943]Shame nowan ain't callin' Moi to pull the shots.

        Then we might all get sumplace!*

        Meantime, one thing to figure is how there ain't evah no steady state 'bout nuthin' at all.

        Which is why any kinda focus gotta switch out regulah on where'er it might wanna fix.

        Most cities got real historic statues gaze out kinda wherevah, blessed for all eternity for their way cool vision -- but they don't actschwlly see much.

        Movin' wanna wanna targets demand movin' wanna wanna eyeballcraft.

        QUOTE]
        Signature

        Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Skywriting
    Originally Posted by Mr_Lauri View Post

    -- Focus on ONE goal and one goal only!
    -- Work hard, no bs software will get you results. Only you will!
    -- Set written goals with clear outcomes and dates!

    =

    "The Miracle Morning" -book
    "The Miracle Formula"

    Good sleuthing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Originally Posted by Mr_Lauri View Post

    It usually means you need to fail fast ― at first!
    P.S.
    ... I also agree with "Failing fast ― at first."

    In fact I think that's the way it goes many/most of the time. Many People are "afraid" at "failing" however that's because they see it as something of an "event" ... Rather than realizing that it's just part of the process of learning/growing/succeeding. I'm sure I read it somewhere else however as I have said before:

    "The more you fail the more you learn, and the more you learn the more you succeed."

    2C
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
      Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

      P.S.
      ... I also agree with "Failing fast ― at first."
      Coming from the guy who took forever to build a website because he wanted it to be perfect.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559805].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

        Coming from the guy who took forever to build a website because he wanted it to be perfect.
        Lol Good point.

        What did I learn from that Venture?? Firstly, when I'm serious about making a good job of something -- and providing tremendous value -- I'm very "determined" and put a lot of time, effort, and energy into it.

        And secondly, you don't have to get it "perfect" -- you just have to get it going ...
        (And then you can learn and improve over time as you go along.)
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11559930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    i can't really post on this forum any more it is hard for me to be nice about this any more .

    i have been on the path of personal transformation the past few years and have completed most of it ..

    when it comes to goal setting .. except that a vast majortity of the time if you are not already doing several of the things you need to to to get the goal ..your probably not going to change your life around and do all the things to need to do to get the goal .

    so honest goal setting is listing out all the things you are doing then mapping out the future results what you are now doing will most likely get you .. as these are the goals you actually have based on the actions you take every day .

    unless you are willing to take extreme actions to change the things you do every day ..undo the damage you have already done to your life and stop doing a lot of that things that will just lead to life getting worse over time .

    i have run into many people the last few years who made a lot of money at pont and for a time and then had their lives blow apart .

    start with figuring out the lifestyle you actually want .where you want to live ..the actuall size of the house you want to live in.. the size of the yard.. the physical environment . then what careers to get that life.. and set the goal to develop the skills to get the career and the life style you want ..

    the work effo ..and pain and suffering through the rest of your life for not doing that .. will be so march harder than a 3-5 or ten years it could take to get all the pieces lined up .
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr_Lauri
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      i can't really post on this forum any more it is hard for me to be nice about this any more .

      i have been on the path of personal transformation the past few years and have completed most of it ..

      when it comes to goal setting .. except that a vast majortity of the time if you are not already doing several of the things you need to to to get the goal ..your probably not going to change your life around and do all the things to need to do to get the goal .

      so honest goal setting is listing out all the things you are doing then mapping out the future results what you are now doing will most likely get you .. as these are the goals you actually have based on the actions you take every day .

      unless you are willing to take extreme actions to change the things you do every day ..undo the damage you have already done to your life and stop doing a lot of that things that will just lead to life getting worse over time .

      i have run into many people the last few years who made a lot of money at pont and for a time and then had their lives blow apart .

      start with figuring out the lifestyle you actually want .where you want to live ..the actuall size of the house you want to live in.. the size of the yard.. the physical environment . then what careers to get that life.. and set the goal to develop the skills to get the career and the life style you want ..

      the work effo ..and pain and suffering through the rest of your life for not doing that .. will be so march harder than a 3-5 or ten years it could take to get all the pieces lined up .
      Nice post, thank you! This is a post most people should read as often as they can, so they internalize this line by line!
      Signature

      ▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
      Traffic and Conversions.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560663].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      i can't really post on this forum any more it is hard for me to be nice about this any more .

      i have been on the path of personal transformation the past few years and have completed most of it ..

      when it comes to goal setting .. except that a vast majortity of the time if you are not already doing several of the things you need to to to get the goal ..your probably not going to change your life around and do all the things to need to do to get the goal .

      so honest goal setting is listing out all the things you are doing then mapping out the future results what you are now doing will most likely get you .. as these are the goals you actually have based on the actions you take every day .

      unless you are willing to take extreme actions to change the things you do every day ..undo the damage you have already done to your life and stop doing a lot of that things that will just lead to life getting worse over time .

      i have run into many people the last few years who made a lot of money at pont and for a time and then had their lives blow apart .

      start with figuring out the lifestyle you actually want .where you want to live ..the actuall size of the house you want to live in.. the size of the yard.. the physical environment . then what careers to get that life.. and set the goal to develop the skills to get the career and the life style you want ..

      the work effo ..and pain and suffering through the rest of your life for not doing that .. will be so march harder than a 3-5 or ten years it could take to get all the pieces lined up .
      You don't have to be nice, just civil. Nice is trying to please everyone and not hurt anyone's feelings. Be honest, give your opinion, and if others post a response, put your big boy pants on and either defend your position with civility or retreat to your bunker.

      Goals. You are right in that we tend to set big goals which don't match our current activities, or habits and this is why all those New Year resolutions seldom get out of the first quarter. We try to make BIG change or change too much.

      But one "secret". is a small deflection in direction. Consider a pool ball and trying to make a long shot in a corner pocket from the middle of the table. A good player knows how much of the cue ball has to hit the target ball to deflect it in that direction.

      In life, a small change, over time, can produce a big result. Real life example, a friend lost 40 pounds in one year by simply leaving a fork of food on her plate at each meal. It wasn't much but became a habit. And with the force of time, and once the small amounts of weight started showing up, she added a walking program.

      First day, once around the block. Then once around and one quarter, then a half, then two times around, then two blocks. Small DAILY increments increased to walking a couple of miles then walking them quicker, and all these small little changes helped her reach her goal.

      YOU are right too about not knowing what we want, a question I've asked thousands of people theses last 30 years, and most can not answer. When the goal, dream, wish becomes clear, and the reason is known, it appears to be reachable and often more small efforts are made in that direction.

      So, I don't see extreme action needs to be taken. Just regular, consistent action, even in small increments which solve problems daily in the direction of your goals.

      Keep posting, it is for your own good too, even if no one ever gets it or agrees with you, so what?

      GordonJ
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560935].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

        First day, once around the block. Then once around and one quarter, then a half, then two times around, then two blocks. Small DAILY increments increased to walking a couple of miles then walking them quicker, and all these small little changes helped her reach her goal.

        YOU are right too about not knowing what we want, a question I've asked thousands of people theses last 30 years, and most can not answer. When the goal, dream, wish becomes clear, and the reason is known, it appears to be reachable and often more small efforts are made in that direction.

        So, I don't see extreme action needs to be taken. Just regular, consistent action, even in small increments which solve problems daily in the direction of your goals.

        Keep posting, it is for your own good too, even if no one ever gets it or agrees with you, so what?

        GordonJ
        i don't even agree with myself most of the time .you should see the number of time i write a post delete it then write something else. for the most part posting here in the past was good for getting some great info from a few of you and clarifying my thinking on other things .

        now as for what people want a majority of humanity does not have the willingness to admit to themselves or others what they want .so there is an excepted list of things they should want given to them by family,social group or the society they are in .

        part of the transformation i have gone through the last few years has been the clerity of what i want . other part has been going from a very miserable person filled with repressed anger .. to releasing all that anger and being a very pleasent person to be around most of the time . with that i have gone from very much the introvert . with difficulty talking to people.. to being able to have really interesting conversations with a wide verity of people. to a point people tend to think i am flat out lieing when i tel them a few years agos i was introverted .

        for me to pull this off it has taken extreme and drastic changes in behavior .in any case i have the goal of living another hundred years.. it may not happen ..but it was made clear that i had to completely alter my personality and change who i was . the next step is even more drastic . i have to get a good sized piece of land and withing the next few years get to where i grow nearly all my own food and dramatically cut down the amount of meat i consume to fish a grow or ducks i grow .. building the system in the next few years that will feed me the next 40 to 100 years.

        i really don't want to cut down the amount of meat i eat .. but my body and my arteries are letting me know at 41 i do not have much of a choice .

        so to a point a lot of the reason i am posting here less is because the information i need to make the next big moves ..is not on this forum .

        now hopfully in the next year i can get over to the Philippines and marry the girl who has wanted me to come back and marry her sense i was their 5 years ago .and she wants the same few things i do .. that are important to have
        Signature

        "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Mr. Lauri, you're still alive! I am so glad. I thought something had happened to you as you had not participated in the other success thread you had started.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560675].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr_Lauri
      Originally Posted by DABK View Post

      Mr. Lauri, you're still alive! I am so glad. I thought something had happened to you as you had not participated in the other success thread you had started.
      I was following the other success thread, and I was amazed at how it really got a life of its own (concerning the various topics in the thread).
      Signature

      ▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
      Traffic and Conversions.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560686].message }}
  • Ha!

    Dontchya jus' love it when random forum goofstuffs conspire to suggest SHE A MANIAC.

    But there is my point.

    Like Hans Schweffler himself said, "plans and accidents manifest similar possibilities equally for all who care not to think ... and all who are embroiled in the fruitful resolution of reason."

    Hey, you wanna Google Hans Schweffler, you'll see I jus' made that up cos WARRIOR FORUM POSTED MY SIMILAH ASS TWICE. But we here now, sumhow we made it to here now ...
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Master Blake
    I believe without a shred of doubt that the mind's ability to analyze data
    and come up with fruitful conclusions is an ability that can be taken to the bank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561492].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
      Originally Posted by Master Blake View Post

      I believe without a shred of doubt that the mind's ability to analyze data
      and come up with fruitful conclusions is an ability that can be taken to the bank.
      You believe.

      Fruitful conclusions for whom? For the one who thinks, and comes up with a fruitful conclusion? Didn't Hitler come with a final solution? And his conclusion was supported by thousands, costing millions of lives.

      I know the mind can analyze data, what is unknown is the BIAS of any given mind to do so.

      Prefer non belief based conclusions, more along a science, repeatable route.

      GordonJ
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561494].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Master Blake
        Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

        You believe.

        Fruitful conclusions for whom? For the one who thinks, and comes up with a fruitful conclusion? Didn't Hitler come with a final solution? And his conclusion was supported by thousands, costing millions of lives.

        I know the mind can analyze data, what is unknown is the BIAS of any given mind to do so.

        Prefer non belief based conclusions, more along a science, repeatable route.

        GordonJ
        The fact that I am an avid advocate of push button technology... we all have our OOPSes. So far I could have costed millions to 13000 people. Don't judge or you'll be judged. There are no absolutes (at least in this dimension) or panacea.

        Science is the art of experimentation.

        And the last one to be saved was saved by himself.

        Why be so serious?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tshep0325
    Nice Post ,Thank You for sharing.

    Hard work and taking a lot of action is the only way to succeed. There are no shortcuts in the road to success in the business. You will be going through hard times along the way, going through trial and error while building your business. Not many people can support you during your journey. You are your own cheer leader. You have to pick yourself up after any failure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561523].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics