They Laugh When I Started Doing "Make Money Online", but When I Started To Profit...

31 replies
I thought that i have almost no chance to make money online
because english is not my first language.


When i first started this online journey,
i joined into this WarriorForum,

where a lot of experts about make money online hanging out.

I posted a post to shared some of my thoughts
in the forum for the first time...and there were some native speakers,


They laughed then said that i should forget about that idea,
forget about make money online idea
because i made so many mistake when i spoke/written...


I was so sad and doubting myself, because i agreed with them
about my english skill. But i still gave it a try

Because if i win, i will win a lot, if i lose, i lose nothing much.
"I still am, never make any money online like before" i thought.


Then turns out, make money online doesn't really relate to
english that much, I'm making sales online regurlaly now
from $1/sale to $1500/sale online with my BROKEN english skill.

Guys, if you are not a native speaker, don't worry
English is not important at all in this field.
Me and my friend proved it.

My friend is even worst than me
He can not speak english at all, the only tool
to help him to understand what he need to understand is Google translate

And he's making 4 figure/day.
So, don't let other people tell you different

No matter you are a native speaker or not
you can still do WELL, REALLY REALLY WELL for sure

Don't limit yourself ‼️

Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do
You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.

What Other People Told Me I Am:
... Shy/Too Quiet
... Weird
... Too Sensitive

What I've Told Myself I Am:
... Incapable of Making Money
... Unworthy of a Nice Life
... Not Good Enough For Others

What I Actually Am:
... An Empathetic Leader
... An Adventurer
... Unique
... Highly Intelligent
... Naturally Beautiful
... Myself

I didn't start succeeding making money online
until I changed my beliefs!

Have a great day and happy new year guys
Linh
#laugh #make money online #profit #started
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    "They laughed when I sad down at the piano, but then when I started to play..." (from memory)
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11641793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    "They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now!"


    - Bob Monkhouse
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11641795].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matthew Stanley
      ^awesome one liner writer. another one of his (i think) for the hell of it: "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11641812].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matthew Stanley
        Also - to the OP - good on you (especially wrt the self-doubt stuff), and happy New Year as well!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11641813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamell
    First they will doubt then they will come around supporting you when they see you succeeding. People making fun of you at first really had their own insecurities. We all have struggles but not all are not brave enough to share their failures ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11641823].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Jamell View Post

      First they will doubt then they will come around supporting you when they see you succeeding. People making fun of you at first really had their own insecurities. We all have struggles but not all are not brave enough to share their failures ..
      No. We were making fun of the fact that the title of the thread was obviously taken from a very famous advertising headline selling mail order piano playing lessons.

      It has nothing to do with insecurities.

      In fact, a common myth is to say "The people making fun of you are jealous of you". I doubt that's ever true, but it certainly makes you feel better.

      I can only speak for myself. I love to hear about successes. And we have all failed before we succeeded in business.

      I would tell you about some of my early failures, but I'm not brave enough.

      Added later; Posts that talk about success often mention how people made fun of them, or told them they couldn't succeed.

      Does this really happen? Do people actually tell others that they can't succeed, don't have what it takes, aren't smart enough, or don't deserve it?

      My question is; If this really happens, what are you telling people that makes them laugh at your dreams? Why would you tell them anything at all? Why are you even around these people (OK, teenagers still living at home, I get)?

      "They laughed when...". Why would anyone laugh at you? What kind of people do you hang out with? Hang out with people that share your ambition.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642013].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author socialentry
        They laughed when they saw me with a cello case, but when I got the Ak-47 out...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642017].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

          They laughed when they saw me with a cello case, but when I got the Ak-47 out...
          They laughed when they saw my riffle case....but when I took out my trombone...
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642182].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        No. We were making fun of the fact that the title of the thread was obviously taken from a very famous advertising headline selling mail order piano playing lessons.

        It has nothing to do with insecurities.

        In fact, a common myth is to say "The people making fun of you are jealous of you". I doubt that's ever true, but it certainly makes you feel better.
        Hi Claude. It's a great headline because it caters to a Person's fear of performing in front of others. (Something that many ― if not most ― Musicians start out with.) That's my opinion, anyway, I'm only a Copywriting/Marketing Student. : )

        As for People making fun of other People because they're "insecure" and/or "envious/jealous" ... Unfortunately that kind of thing happens often. Why? I suppose it makes People feel better about themselves. I honestly don't know.

        In the book "Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude" Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone recommend that a Person keep their dreams/ambitions/etc. to themselves. Similarly Chris Gardner said:
        "If you've got a dream, you've got to protect it."

        I remember when I was 18-19 my Dad saying on a couple of occasions that I would never be a successful Entrepreneur. And I would go up to my room to cry. I don't know why he said that ― I suppose we were both in a bad place. Thankfully he stood by me through my illness and now have a a wonderful/restored relationship. : )

        Anyway, for people that are experiencing (general) "haters" (which most celebrities do ...) A couple of suggestions: 1. See if you can learn something from them. Seriously. Look at what they're saying objectively ... Is there some truth there that you can work on to become more successful? 2. For all of the rest of them ― don't take it personally. In fact look at it as a sign that you're on the right path.

        HTH.
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642390].message }}
  • They Laughed When I Sat Down
    At the Piano
    But When I Started To Play
    With Muh Nose
    They Darn Near Wet 'emselves.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    This its such a great motivation .Unfortunately in this today society people have a talent to destroy your dream ,to make you fall etc . But the key its to not liten to them even if they say you are crazy and make them regret for laughing about your dream
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642398].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

      In the book "Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude" Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone recommend that a Person keep their dreams/ambitions/etc. to themselves. .

      Keep it to yourself, unless the person can help you, or encourage you.

      If you are very young and haven't accomplished anything yet, dreams can sound very "Pie in the sky" to most others.

      If your ambition is real, you'll soon have something to talk about. Talk about your dreams after you are already on your way. That way, you'll sound credible, to anyone but the most ignorant.



      Originally Posted by spartan14 View Post

      This its such a great motivation .Unfortunately in this today society people have a talent to destroy your dream ,to make you fall etc . But the key its to not liten to them even if they say you are crazy and make them regret for laughing about your dream
      Why are you telling these people about your dream? Why would you tell someone about your dream, if they are the kind of person that would laugh at you?
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642404].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Keep it to yourself, unless the person can help you, or encourage you.
        Absolutely.: ) And that was kind of the point. Unfortunately on Forums there will always be "Naysayers"/Critical Responses/etc. ... And so it's probably not the best place for a Person to share their ambitions.
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642407].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

          Absolutely.: ) And that was kind of the point. Unfortunately on Forums there will always be "Naysayers"/Critical Responses/etc. ... And so it's probably not the best place for a Person to share their ambitions.
          I think this forum is the perfect place to share your ambitions.

          This isn't directed at anyone in particular...

          Do people really laugh at your dreams? Criticize your ambitions?

          Here is a thought. Do something. Don't talk about your dreams...do something. When people see you are really making an effort, and see your determination...and (heaven forbid) see a little progress...laughter will turn to admiration.

          Again, I'm not talking about any one person here....

          Some people...just dream. And they tell everyone about their next dream...and their next dream...but they never talk about the effort they are putting forth, actually trying to achieve their dream.

          In my life, I've never had anyone laugh at any business idea I attempted. Maybe it's because I was actually making the attempt.

          If you say you can lift a ton of weight off the floor, many will laugh. But you don't laugh.

          They see you bend over, take the weight in your hands, look up...and they see the look in your eyes. They see your breathing deepen, they see you start to sweat....and you keep trying to lift the weight. Still a few laugh...

          And then they see your muscles tighten, your face redden....and they hear the faintest creak in the floor as the weight starts to move.

          And now nobody is laughing. And they will never laugh at your attempt again. Why? Because you attempted. And seeing determination is inspiring. It isn't winning that inspires...it's the grit...the effort.

          Do you know what isn't inspiring? Hearing about dream after dream after dream....and nothing else.

          Just a thought.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642414].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            I think this forum is the perfect place to share your ambitions.
            Generally speaking, you're probably right.

            However many times when a Person is determined to accomplish something "audacious" (as Allen Says put it) ... They will often meet with resistance ― even on a supportive Forum like this one. Why? Again, I have no idea. I suppose it could go back to "Ape Days" where the audacious Person will be more successful than the average "Ape" and so they find that threatening. Just a guess.

            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Here is a thought. Do something. Don't talk about your dreams...do something. When people see you are really making an effort, and see your determination...and (heaven forbid) see a little progress...laughter will turn to admiration.
            Definitely. And that is congruent with what I mentioned from "Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude" ― don't talk about your Dreams/Ambitions ... Yet keep taking action and working on them. Great point, Claude. : )

            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Some people...just dream. And they tell everyone about their next dream...and their next dream...but they never talk about the effort they are putting forth, actually trying to achieve their dream.
            Good point. And actually, in that instance, it would be beneficial to mention that to them ... Because if they listen to the advice, they will be more successful.

            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            Do you know what isn't inspiring? Hearing about dream after dream after dream....and nothing else.
            I understand what you mean however I see it slightly differently. If a person is dreaming, and dreaming, and dreaming ... And never got anywhere, yet suddenly realize they must start taking action ... Well, assuming they succeed, I would consider that to be an even inspiring example of success. Why? Because they spent so many years "failing"/not doing anything ... However eventually achieved success.

            2C
            Signature
            "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642418].message }}
            • Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

              Because they spent so many years "failing"/not doing anything ... However eventually achieved success.
              Not doing anything isn't failing. There is nothing wrong with failing. It's the attempt that matters. Even the worst/dumbest/least talented of us will eventually succeed at something, if we keep trying and failing.

              But not doing anything? That never leads to anything. And telling people about your dream...while not actually doing anything? That's the surest way to get ridiculed.

              In fact, if you want to be ridiculed, keep telling people about a dream you have, but never put forth any effort to attain what you want to achieve. That's the way to guarantee that nobody will take you seriously.
              Signature
              One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

              "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642558].message }}
              • It's the attempt that matters
                simple and profound truth. reminds me of a quote from the coach on one of my favorite TV series, Friday Night Lights: "I didn't say you needed to be better than everyone else. But you gotta try. That's what character is. It's in the trying."
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642567].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                Not doing anything isn't failing. There is nothing wrong with failing. It's the attempt that matters.
                Good point Claude: You're right. : )

                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                But not doing anything? That never leads to anything. And telling people about your dream...while not actually doing anything? That's the surest way to get ridiculed. In fact, if you want to be[ ridiculed, keep telling people about a dream you have, but never put forth any effort to attain what you want to achieve. That's the way to guarantee that nobody will take you seriously.
                Personally I wouldn't ridicule a Person just because they're "dreaming" while not taking action. Especially when it's 10 - 20 People against 1 Person. And many successful Entrepreneurs -- and actually People of many pursuits and professions -- did a certain amount of dreaming before taking action. There's a saying that I like that I learned from Tony Robbins: "The past doesn't equal the future."

                While you may not have any faith in them -- and may ridicule them -- I think it's never too late for a Person to start taking action and making their dreams a reality.

                In fact I spent many years not doing anything ... Yet am 1.4 years into a 3 year venture and having an absolute blast putting everything together. And although my goal is to ultimately create a $Million/year Website, I would honestly do it all for free because I love it so much. : )

                Anyway, I agree that if a Person is to be taken seriously, they must be taking action -- even if they're "failing" (which means they're learning something).
                Signature
                "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642673].message }}
                • Originally Posted by Jonathan 2.0 View Post

                  Good point Claude: You're right. : )



                  While you may not have any faith in them -- and may ridicule them -- I think it's never too late for a Person to start taking action and making their dreams a reality.
                  I'm not in the habit of ridiculing people for doing nothing. The vast...vast...majority of people never make an attempt to start a business of any kind.

                  I don't think I would even ridicule a person that was constantly telling others about their grand plans, while never doing anything to get started. Again, their numbers are legion.

                  But someone who keeps telling me about their grand plans, and yet does nothing else? I have met those people. And I don't ridicule them. But I also can't take what they say seriously.
                  Signature
                  One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                  "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642739].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by spartan14 View Post

      This its such a great motivation .Unfortunately in this today society people have a talent to destroy your dream ,to make you fall etc . But the key its to not liten to them even if they say you are crazy and make them regret for laughing about your dream
      Or just forget about it, and carry on with your Life of success.
      : )
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642405].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Odahh
      Originally Posted by spartan14 View Post

      This its such a great motivation .Unfortunately in this today society people have a talent to destroy your dream ,to make you fall etc . But the key its to not liten to them even if they say you are crazy and make them regret for laughing about your dream
      lets go with the terminator(Arnold) as an example ..from the time he started body building ..and maybe even up to today .. people will tell him what he wants to do can't be done by people like him .. i think he spent a few days in the brig after going awol to compete in the first mr universe he won ..

      elon musk regularly get laughed at .. and told what he want to do can't be done ..

      you are going to face criticism from many sources creating the life you prefer .. or going after better when life is already good .

      espiecially with two groups .. the people who feel you are trying to drag them along.. and the people who if you do what you are saying you will do .. will lose as a result of your success ..

      it is not what other people say that matters .. it when the self talk in your head agrees with them and repeats what they say over and over to beat you down . that self talk get you to tell exact people your ideas you should not tell ..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    it is not what other people say that matters ..

    It is that you CARE what they say - you have a need to impress 'them'. At the very least you have a need to attract attention from 'them'. It is pervasive - from the women wearing a skin tight, low cut dress and 4' heels (does anyone believe 'it's comfortable'?) to the new entrepreneur who desperately needs others to tell him how successful he will be.



    The truth is most people don't notice you or what you are doing nearly as much as you think they do. They have their own lives and their own insecurities.


    Not referring to any one person or member - it's a common issue. On a beach or at a swimming pool - you'll see kids having a great time...and you'll see kids constantly shouting 'look at me' - 'watch me' - 'see what i can do'. They grow up but the need for attention is still there.


    The old Southern joke: 'What are the last words a redneck says before he dies?' .....'Watch this!'
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    I wish offended people would react like fainting goats and quietly tip over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Master Blake
    Miyagi not good English but great karate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642660].message }}
    • I get the point, but I might take the other side of that statement (could be the Karate Kid fan in me ... always thought Miyagi - though not grammatically perfect by native English speaking standards - used very precise language, full of imagery and useful metaphors, that amplified his persuasive powers...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    I honestly can't imagine a scenario where grown adults would laugh at your "dream" no matter how non-sensical.

    To have people ridicule you you'd have to be

    1)telling your "dreams" to people with whom you have an openly hostile relationship

    E.g. your inlaws. And even then I think most would just say something like "that's nice" and just ignore you. At worse, they might say "what an idiot" when they get back to their car and ignore you afterward.

    --OR--

    2)you went into a bar or into a crack den and insisted on talking about your business plans to them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642763].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Or you could be dealing with really small minds.


      They exist. They find ridiculous or stupid a lot of stuff they don't get. How do I know? I am related to a handful or five of them.



      But you're right, if you find yourself laughed at for this reason, you're talking to people you should not be talking to.


      Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

      I honestly can't imagine a scenario where grown adults would laugh at your "dream" no matter how non-sensical.

      To have people ridicule you you'd have to be

      1)telling your "dreams" to people with whom you have an openly hostile relationship

      E.g. your inlaws. And even then I think most would just say something like "that's nice" and just ignore you. At worse, they might say "what an idiot" when they get back to their car and ignore you afterward.

      --OR--

      2)you went into a bar or into a crack den and insisted on talking about your business plans to them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642770].message }}
      • Originally Posted by DABK View Post

        Or you could be dealing with really small minds.


        They exist. They find ridiculous or stupid a lot of stuff they don't get. How do I know? I am related to a handful or five of them.
        When I was 19, I started my sales career. Nobody in my family (out to cousins) had ever owned a business, been in sales, or gone to college. Nearly all worked in a local shop of one kind or another. My Dad worked at Ford Motor Company. I considered working there, and it would have made my Dad very happy.

        My Dad and grandparents kept asking me when I was going to get a real job.

        I never thought of it as ridicule. They loved me, and didn't want me to waste my time, when I could be earning a decent...secure...living, working for someone else.

        And truth be told, at the beginning, they had a point. I wasn't making any money, and I was terrible at selling.

        But a few years later, I was making a good living...then a great living. But my friends and relatives didn't understand how any of it worked.

        A couple decades later, I opened a retail store. At last, my Dad had some idea of what I was doing. He saw it as me owning something. And I had a couple of employees, so that made him happy.

        My relatives and in-laws generally still have no idea how I make a living, except they know we have a store. My brother-in-law (the sharpest of the group) keeps asking me questions, to this day, about how I made money speaking, or writing, or selling.

        But I want to say this....the idea that someone ridicules you because they are jealous is a false idea. If someone is jealous, they may lie about you...but they won't make fun of you.

        Sometimes, people make fun of your dream because they love you (and are just unskilled at how to show it), and want to save you from your "nonsense". Because, let's be real here, some dreams really are nonsense.

        But if you put forth real effort, the ridicule stops. And if you have any success at all.....your relatives will brag about you to anyone who will listen.

        Trust me on that.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642864].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          But if you put forth real effort, the ridicule stops. And if you have any success at all.....your relatives will brag about you to anyone who will listen.

          Trust me on that.

          Hell, if'n they can play the pianer, likely they will trill out praise in your honor!
          Signature

          Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642888].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DABK
          I know a few of those too.


          I also know the other kind, the jealous kind, the small mind kind. The kind everybody to be miserable because they are.



          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          When I was 19, I started my sales career. Nobody in my family (out to cousins) had ever owned a business, been in sales, or gone to college. Nearly all worked in a local shop of one kind or another. My Dad worked at Ford Motor Company. I considered working there, and it would have made my Dad very happy.

          My Dad and grandparents kept asking me when I was going to get a real job.

          I never thought of it as ridicule. They loved me, and didn't want me to waste my time, when I could be earning a decent...secure...living, working for someone else.

          And truth be told, at the beginning, they had a point. I wasn't making any money, and I was terrible at selling.

          But a few years later, I was making a good living...then a great living. But my friends and relatives didn't understand how any of it worked.

          A couple decades later, I opened a retail store. At last, my Dad had some idea of what I was doing. He saw it as me owning something. And I had a couple of employees, so that made him happy.

          My relatives and in-laws generally still have no idea how I make a living, except they know we have a store. My brother-in-law (the sharpest of the group) keeps asking me questions, to this day, about how I made money speaking, or writing, or selling.

          But I want to say this....the idea that someone ridicules you because they are jealous is a false idea. If someone is jealous, they may lie about you...but they won't make fun of you.

          Sometimes, people make fun of your dream because they love you (and are just unskilled at how to show it), and want to save you from your "nonsense". Because, let's be real here, some dreams really are nonsense.

          But if you put forth real effort, the ridicule stops. And if you have any success at all.....your relatives will brag about you to anyone who will listen.

          Trust me on that.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11642890].message }}
          • Originally Posted by DABK View Post

            I know a few of those too.


            I also know the other kind, the jealous kind, the small mind kind. The kind everybody to be miserable because they are.
            I don't know anyone who wants me to be miserable because they are. I do know miserable people who don't want to hear about your accomplishments, because it puts them in the shadows. It takes away from the attention they get because they are miserable.

            And....are you ready? If they make you miserable, it takes away from the attention they get. Miserable people want to feel special. And they get that feeling by talking about how terrible their life is. They want that attention on them. Sympathy is like Oxygen to them. If they make you miserable, it's attention they have to share. They don't want to hear about your misery, they want you to hear about theirs.

            Some people (a distinct minority) identify themselves by the pain the feel, the loss they have endured. Every conversation leads to a long diatribe about how unfair life is, how much they suffer, and how it's impossible to get anywhere.

            I know those people.

            In fact, I love a few of them. What I have learned is to never talk about anything remotely related to what I'm doing in business.

            Once, I was speaking to a group of a few hundred vacuum cleaner dealers. (I'm about to brag. I'm all about bragging).

            I was sharing the stage with a few other dealers. I spoke last because I was the keynote speaker.

            The first speaker talked about their store a little, and then talked about how their store had been burglarized. In that moment I know what was going to happen. Every speaker was going to talk about a tragedy that they went through. Why? It's an easy subject to talk about. It lets them off the hook because they didn't have a prepared speech, and it garnered attention (although sympathy is not the attention you want in a business setting)

            The next speaker spent her entire time talking about her cancer. When she was done and sat down next to me, it was like she was sucking the life from the room. The next few speakers were just as bad. Every grievance was talked about. Nothing useful was shared.

            And then I got up to speak......I looked at the table where the previous speakers were sitting. All looking pitiful. All trying to absorb sympathy from the room.

            I had about 45 minutes to speak. I spent the first 20 minutes trying to get someone to laugh...anyone.....Nope. They had been conditioned by the other speakers to expect a terrible story of hardship and suffering. And I didn't have one. At least one I wanted to share. I cut my speech short. Polite applause. A waste of everyone's time.

            But the people that are psychic vampires? I just never give them an entry. I never give them something to complain against. It's all polite conversation. And I never ask them how they are doing, even if they ask me....because I know the road that leads to...and it's dark.
            Signature
            One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

            "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags" Bojack Horseman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11643009].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Odahh
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              I don't know

              I had about 45 minutes to speak. I spent the first 20 minutes trying to get someone to laugh...anyone.....Nope. They had been conditioned by the other speakers to expect a terrible story of hardship and suffering. And I didn't have one. At least one I wanted to share. I cut my speech short. Polite applause. A waste of everyone's time.

              But the people that are psychic vampires? I just never give them an entry. I never give them something to complain against. It's all polite conversation. And I never ask them how they are doing, even if they ask me....because I know the road that leads to...and it's dark.
              i am way to much of a smart ahs for people to feel safe complaining about stuff to me .. i like to stick the needles into the subject ..when they could be doing something different to fix the issue ..

              but i really only have any kind discussion with people .. who even if they are going through tough times .. they are on a path to improve .. and can do better ..

              i have found the majority of people seem not to be in a comfort zone but actually in a place they can cope with misery. And never really address the cause to fix it

              think about how 80 percent of people regularly report not liking their job..but if they lose it they go find another job they do not like ..
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11643132].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics