What's sweater to your ears? Mass Hooman Confession Required ->

12 replies
I got myself into trouble ...


Hey Warriors!

What's sweeter to your ears?

1 - Being called the best by other people
Or ...
2 - You call yourself the best?

A little clarification here, by the best I mean, let's say you are the best
in your niche, or the best in your workplace, family ... etc.

I got myself in real trouble here, my mind can't stop thinking. (looking to fix the gap)

We can say which one is more powerful from a psychological perspective?
Or which one is more powerful from a salesperson's perspective?
What about a copywriter?

Hmmmmmm ... I got more questions.

For the conscious mind, which one is more powerful?
For the Subconscious mind, which one is more powerful? therefore should be repeated to have the ultimate effect.

So, what do you think?
#> #confession #ears #hooman #mass #required #sweater
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    1 - Being called the best by other people
    Or ...
    2 - You call yourself the best?
    1. anointed
    2. self appointed

    You have to ask which is better?


    (I don't wear sweaters on my ears....)
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

    I wish offended people would react like fainting goats and quietly tip over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646339].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shawn Cesar
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      1. anointed
      2. self appointed

      You have to ask which is better?


      (I don't wear sweaters on my ears....)
      Well, it's a good point.


      The sweater thing is to catch the attention, because you can see that I said "sweeter" in the post.
      Thank you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646358].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shawn Cesar
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      1. anointed
      2. self appointed

      You have to ask which is better?


      (I don't wear sweaters on my ears....)
      Well, it's a good point.


      The sweater thing is to catch the attention, because you can see that I said "sweeter" in the post.
      Thank you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Originally Posted by Shawn Cesar View Post

    1 - Being called the best by other people
    Or ...
    2 - You call yourself the best?
    There's no context there. However I would guess that being called "The Best" by other People may be nice and comforting --- and although I understand that positive feedback is important -- a Person probably isn't "The best." And so that belief could be limiting them from progressing more.

    As for People calling themselves "The Best" well I admire confidence however similar to above, it could be preventing them from learning more.
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    Originally Posted by Shawn Cesar View Post

    I got myself into trouble ...


    Hey Warriors!

    What's sweeter to your ears?

    1 - Being called the best by other people
    Or ...
    2 - You call yourself the best?
    Here is a different look to this. Would you want Tom Brady to lead your football team to the NFL Super Bowl or the High School kid that calls himself the best.

    Would you rather hired a Lawyer who has the best record going to court. Or Some Lawyer who things he is the best. But has lost the majority of cases.

    Last but not least - Would you rather the people who say the Heart Surgeon is the best to treat your problem. Or would you want the doctor who thinks he is the best.

    To now answer your post, I would rather be called the best by others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646349].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Would you have the high school kid that calls himself the best lead the high school team or would you rather have the one other kids all the best lead?


      If Tom Brady calls himself the best and we call him the best, is there a problem with Brady and should he be ruled out for the one who is called the 2nd best (assuming he does not call himself the second best)?


      OP's question lacks context.


      If the OP's selling something in the self-improvement niche, other people calling me the best is not relevant if I feel I'm a loser. His copy would move me to buy if it pinky-promised I will not feel a loser after consuming it.


      On the other hand, for everything else, who cares that you call yourself the best? You? Your mom?



      Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

      Here is a different look to this. Would you want Tom Brady to lead your football team to the NFL Super Bowl or the High School kid that calls himself the best.

      Would you rather hired a Lawyer who has the best record going to court. Or Some Lawyer who things he is the best. But has lost the majority of cases.

      Last but not least - Would you rather the people who say the Heart Surgeon is the best to treat your problem. Or would you want the doctor who thinks he is the best.

      To now answer your post, I would rather be called the best by others.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646360].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
        Originally Posted by DABK View Post

        OP's question lacks context.


        If the OP's selling something in the self-improvement niche, other people calling me the best is not relevant if I feel I'm a loser. His copy would move me to buy if it pinky-promised I will not feel a loser after consuming it.
        Great point !!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidsmurtagh
    Spelling errors in the body of a text might be of little consequence but you HAVE to get the headline right.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646355].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shawn Cesar
      well, I don't think an error will lead to the end of the world.

      I'm not gonna say we are humans and we make mistakes blah blah blah, that's obvious.

      But it seems like the idea of the post is not clear, but some will understand what I'm talking about.

      Thank you for your comment!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646364].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by Shawn Cesar View Post

        well, I don't think an error will lead to the end of the world.

        I'm not gonna say we are humans and we make mistakes blah blah blah, that's obvious.

        But it seems like the idea of the post is not clear, but some will understand what I'm talking about.

        Thank you for your comment!
        i will say it like this ..and it is splitting hairs.. i would rather have the skill and work ethic to work around and with the best .. and be in position to help them be more productive ..

        even if i am the one getting coffees for everyone or getting lunches ..and basically playing the supporting role ..to people who consistently get the job done ..

        in my experience there are drug addicts and alcoholic who will work circles around everyone when they are sober and tell you how great they are .. and point out how everyone else sucks .. but are prone to being unreliable for period of time ..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Stanley
    Yeah - the context matters here for sure as others pointed out. Generally, and in most business contexts, I'd guess most folks would lean toward wanting to feel "anointed" versus "self appointed" when it comes to their work and its quality. On the other hand, if I put on my personal development hat, the idea of coming to believe I am - or can become - the "best" (or in the top tier) at some unique thing, or through combining skills and background in a unique way, holds appeal...

    And then there's also the question of whether "the best" is even the "sweetest" thing one can hear about themselves from others or as part of their own self-talk. Personally believe "clear thinker", for example, is a more worthy pursuit for many contexts...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11646370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Princess Balestra
    Originally Posted by Shawn Cesar View Post

    1 - Being called the best by other people
    Or ...
    2 - You call yourself the best?
    May I manifest the dynamism of rampagin' myootyool throb?

    Or ...

    are transition states of any kind devoid of value?

    Less'n there ain't nowan else ... how would I know an' why would I bothah?

    An' why we all gotta be 'called' alla the time, like we bein' summoned -- or raised up form outta the weirdsyest slime?

    It is natchrl to gravitate toward absoloots, but the history of the world been built on fluxystuffs.

    Like ...

    I am Moi

    an' you are you ...

    an' between us may exist procreational smoochie.

    Aw gahsh I should naht be contributin' to no forum rn bcs I been devourin' too much COVID REALITY chocklit.

    My brain is awash with romance.

    Uh ...

    uh ...

    ima sweatin' full flush.

    An' my Hooman Detectah went off so loud it frightened noomerous cats in my vicinity.

    Hey, but I will reassure 'em tamara I ain't dowin' nuthin' stoopid, on a placatory trans-species ticket of ... actschwlly if their ownahs figure 'twas Moi spooked 'em real good, prolly I can expect BRICKS through my WINDOW.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11650832].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics